Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Hwurmp posted:

update: if your stratagem inputs are also set to something other than your movement keys, this should let you sprint while stratting

Unless you have a third hand you'll be giving up aiming while stratting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The sickle is fun but it's so bad against bile spewers and stalkers. Hive guards are also annoying to deal with, the amount of fire you can put out means they won't really close with you, but actually killing them takes aim and time. I prefer the breaker for eradicate missions where you will have stuff up close and personal all the time.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't like the airstrikes; they don't seem to reliably deal with large targets nor take out 50 eggs like a well placed 500 Kg bomb does. They kind of seem like they're a compromise between the rocket pods and the 500Kg bomb, but if you have EATs you already have direct damage options.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 23, 2024

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Maybe it's a playstyle thing. We're doing level 7 and focusing on getting super samples, completing the objective and avoiding enemies as much as possible. Closing bug holes have become more of a thing we do if we find ourselves in a really good position.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think that by giving you a lot of strategy and playstyle options the devs have messed up matchmaking a bit. Some people are kicking others just to be shits, but there's a lot of grumbling about pubbies not following the chosen strategy of the host.

In DRG, the most annoying thing you have to deal with are people who insist on building bunkers all the time, and carrying someone is not that big of a deal since they're generally not making the situation actively worse.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Shooting drop ship engines with the EATs is the most satisfying thing in the game right now IMO.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LazyMaybe posted:

Tbh, this mechanic is decently common nowadays-it's in Apex for instance, as well as anything more milsim.
Reloading throwing away a mag is more rare, but a bit more common nowadays than it used to be... it's in Ready or Not, Battlebit, Insurgency Sandstorm, and of course Tarkov.

In ARMA you keep the half used magazine in your inventory, and with a common mod you can even sit down and consolidate rounds from half used magazines into full ones. The first bit should be a thing in HD2 too; you just cycle back to your used magazines once you've gone through all the fresh ones.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Do destroying outposts/bug holes etc have any positive impact on enemy numbers or the extraction heat? I always figured that because the mission gets harder the more time you take, and completing these tasks take time, the opposite is true.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Soloing a 7 nuke mission with bots was impossible. The terminal is raised with no cover and bot reinforcements were constant. Maybe if I had smoke.

Getting instakilled by rockets is unfun, but I haven't seen if you can tank it with a shield + explosive resist armor.

My main issue with bot missions right now are friendlies throwing the reinsert into clusters of enemies. With bugs you can run away, but here you just get shot in the back.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Rocket devestators are easier to spot and feel less accurate than the raiders. It's usually the sinfle rocket from a small raider hidden in the brush that gets me.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Amazing Member posted:

Hi guys its me, Amazing Member, I made a post where I describe "hitscan" from the post I read a page back from another user; in that post that i wrote I described how I understood what the OP was describing from my perspective.

Did you know? Hitscan has one specific meaning in the game world lexicon of shooter games?

I did.

But i'm also able to learn that words can mean different things and change in meaning over time, you know, like an idiot right?

In other actually relevant news: the scout buggy owns, toot toot muthertruckers :bandwagon:

:gas:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It would be nice if taking out factories and bugholes did reduce the spawn rate, and that this was balanced by the spawn rate actually increasing over time as the in-game hint implies.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ChaseSP posted:

Technically speaking, blowing up bases/hives are useful to prevent reinforcements if there's an objective located right by them in the first place due to them constantly trickle feeding in and maybe calling in reinforcements.

It would have to be real near the objective. Near enough that you aggro it. I don’t think I've ever seen that on bug missions aside from maybe egg hunts. Even then, it has no lasting effect if you just leave.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

DeathSandwich posted:

My guess is when the bots and the bugs are mostly bottled up, the illuminate come out. They will have started with some sort of deep sneak attack really close to super earth and all the emphasis is going to be to beat the brakes off of them - allowing the Automatons and Bugs to break their containment and really kick everything into high gear.

The bugs do not need to be bottled up. They don't have space flight capacity; they only get from planet to planet because Super Earth transports them there. It's a cull, not a war.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I feel like the bots have gotten slightly easier after the last patch. Rocket raiders miss their first shot more often and I've survived quite a few glancing rockets. Maybe I'm just getting better. The slugger and diving a bunch helps.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ZearothK posted:

I feel I am the only Slugger hater in the world, there's just something about the gun that feels off to me. I definitely don't like it against bugs, still figuring out my bot loadout (currently Eagle Air Strike, Eagle 500 kg, Autocannon and Explosive Mortar), trying to experiment with smoke grenades too.

Firing it as quickly as you can means you won't stay on target, and it can be hard to nail targets that are in your face because it fires one very small slug. Give it a tiny bit between each shot to realign, and either switch to your sidearm or dive back if something gets too close. Guaranteed one shot kills on all smaller bots, and effective stagger for all the mediums is great.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The heavy MG is just like the medium MG, but with more recoil; I don't really get the point. It doesn't have noticeably better armor penetration against bots.

The Quasar does the same job as the EAT. You get slightly less cooldown, but you can't take out two dropships in quick succession. Maybe it's for people who don't like calling down strategems and littering the map with EATs.

If they up the calldown/cooldown time on the EATs a little I can see it getting use; especially on maps with modifiers that increase it further.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 28, 2024

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Lladre posted:

The cool down is long enough and the charge is long enough that you are not hitting two drop ships when they are back to back. you can manage that with EATs if you're standing next to the drop pod or your buddy grabs the second one to help out.

Yes? That was my point? The Quasar can't do that, but the EATs can. In return the Quasar will give more shots over like, 5 minute or whatever. There's less burst damage but more sustain.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 28, 2024

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That should be the case for the autocannon as well. Having one person not shooting stuff is surely balancing enough. I doubt buddy reloads are getting that much use when it requires that you have the backpack, and from a simulationist perspective it makes no sense.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Dren posted:

Ok so with bots I can run 50% explosive damage armor and that mostly saves me vs rockets, stuns and that mostly saves me against devastators and hulks, EMS mortar and hordes of bots are much less bad. But the thing that's eating my lunch vs bots is when they send like 6 berserkers at me. Nothing seems to kill them efficiently they just keep coming. Is there an answer? I'm about 100 medals to the slugger but I don't have that or the scorcher yet.

The Slugger and impact grenades help a lot. The SMG sidearm might be your best bet until then.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That they haven't patched the game ao it generates a need seed on launch is very interesting. Maybe the devs aren't financially incentivized to make the in-game economy run.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
After testing it against bugs too I don't really see it beating the EATs. Clutch hits to charger faces is important.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pharmaskittle posted:

what does this mean

The people who make the game should be able to change it so that it is no longer possible to obtain large amounts of super credits quicker than intended. That they have not is puzzling.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

BitBasher posted:

Yeah, the big thing if you play a lot of harder difficulty is that the EATs aren't often 70 second cool down, they are 140-ish after modifiers.

I agree that this is a positive for the Quasar, but the charge time is a negative compared to the EAT. I find the overall difference between the two pretty negligable at the moment, but at 7 the EATs do seem stronger.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
At my current pace it doesn't seem like I will finish my warbonds before getting enough supercreds to unlock the next one. Unless you want to buy a ton of stuff from the superstore there doesn't seem to be a point.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

It's a crutch and you don't need it.

I could see calling it a crutch against bugs because the laser dog does also gives you good protection and additionally takes out the threat, but that is much less often the case against bots. It's a strong choice with few downsides.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The winter one has some very open spaces that have water that restrict your options further. I've been lucky enough to encounter mainly berserker patrols in these areas.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Anyone sleeping on the laser cannon should give it a go. I don’t think it's a particularly good weapon, but like the medium machine gun it's fun to use and has excellent sound design.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
With a shield it's negligable. With the dog I like the 100 light armor from the super shop.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Hwurmp posted:

hot take: I enjoy automatons more than terminids now

you get to creep up all tactical, crawling through the underbrush, marking the hulks and emplacements, finding the right spot to drop a cannon shell or airsrike on their fabricators and slip away

with nids you just kind of rush in and hope not too many titans breach

Against both enemies avoiding patrols and using strategems on objectives to rush them before loving off is a good tactic. It's easier to achieve against bugs and more important for bots, but the enemies feel pretty similar once you're used to both of them. You dive more against bots.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I wanted to call mine the SES Guardian of Prosperity as a little nod to our brave sailors losing the fight against the Houthies, but I had to settle for the SES Guardian of Liberty.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Nerfing the slugger is dumb; it was a good defense weapon when you're focusing on fighting bots and doing objectives, being able to at the very least slow down all but the biggest threats, but it never allowed you to rack up kills like the sickle and you could still very much get swarmed.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The 380 is fine; it's the players who are dumb. It's great for defense during the extraction phase, or for throwing behind you when you're being followed by four patrols worth of enemies, but people insist on throwing it into objectives we're meant to take, or along our route, delaying us needlessly. The devs even put a rolling barrage in the game to demonstrate that's not what the 380 is for, but people would rather stand and watch semi-effective explosions land around a set of bug holes then actually getting in there to close them.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Game keeps crashing on victory. Once had a mission where no patrols spawned.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What if the most meta weapon is always in the least bought warbond and there's a cycle of nerfing it before the next warbond drops. :tinfoil:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
EAT, Eagle Airstrike, Orbital Laser

Laser Dog for bugs.
Shield for bots.

I could start taking the Quasar instead of EATs for bot missions if others are also running AT stuff and theres a strategem cooldown penalty, but at difficultly 7 it hasn't felt necessary yet.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Darox posted:

I don't understand what people are bringing their EATs/Quasar/RR for on bots. The only thing it's notably good against is dropships, which while nice really isn't worth a support slot by itself. They don't really do well against Hulks, Tanks, Devastators or Striders, aka everything in the bot army that will kill you dead and is annoying to fight without support weapons. The new gunships are a decent target and I can't speak to how effective they are against factory striders but overall they seem really underwhelming.

Using them because you like rockets or you haven't unlocked other support weapons yet or you think dropships exploding look awesome (it is) are all fair enough but some people act like they're essential anti-bot tools which I just don't get.

They oneshot devestators and striders, oneshot hulks if you hit right and two-shot tanks/turrets from any direction. I guess a small buff against tanks might be in order (let us oneshot them from behind) but I don't see what else could be done to make them much better.

Shooting down dropships is essential fun though, yes.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LazyMaybe posted:

This is not impressive or practical at all for EAT/quasar with the frequency those enemies appear, and also when the competition is autocannon/AMR/scorcher.

You want them to kill devestators and striders merely by having it in your inventory or something? Like, I wasn't the one bringing up these enemy types you dingus.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Strong Sauce posted:

probably the most annoyed ive been yet. played a challenging, had a level 7, 2 level 30+.. they are all speaking german so i assume they're a group. they run for the evac zone but i see that one of the blue objectives, destroying the rogue building was still up but on the otherside of the map. i ran to that while they ran for the evac zone. i get there and the objective is bugged so i start running back to the evac zone. as the shuttle lands the level 7 guy just immediately gets on and i'm well outside of the 20 seconds or whatever it is.. they're also all speaking german i guess but i guess germans just leave people behind??? do you lose the samples if you dont evac out?

If they had samples and you did not they did the right thing and you benefitted from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Sagebrush posted:

Don't forget that the enemy drops get bigger and harder the longer you wait.

They don't.