Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So now that the launch woes and initial hype has died down, how is this for someone who loved the first Helldivers?

Really enjoyed the gunplay, strategem system and variety of enemies in the first game.

I think my only complaint was the massive difference in difficulty between 2 player coop and 3 player coop. It really felt like the game was balanced for either 2 players or 4 players, and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Away all Goats posted:

So now that the launch woes and initial hype has died down, how is this for someone who loved the first Helldivers?

Really enjoyed the gunplay, strategem system and variety of enemies in the first game.

I think my only complaint was the massive difference in difficulty between 2 player coop and 3 player coop. It really felt like the game was balanced for either 2 players or 4 players, and nothing else.
I take it back. I forgot about the glacially paced post-game results screens that are completely unskippable. I don't know why it's so dang slow!

Played a few missions last night and had a blast. It really is a 3D update to the first helldivers which great. They even managed to translate the aiming mechanics by divorcing your aim from the barrelsight. Feels like friendly fire is way less of a threat because of the 3rd dimension and not having to share a screen anymore. Didn't stop me from walking into a few airstrikes/land mines though. I hope they balance the weapons a little better this time so like 90% of endgame players aren't all using the laser weapons.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there a way to go prone without diving?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is it better to specialize in one type of calldown (Orbital, Eagle, Turrets) or just grab the good stuff from each?

Also is there no way to invest in support weapons like in the first game? Just unlocked the grenade launcher and it could use some more ammo capacity

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Took me a while to realize quickplay just searches the planet you're currently on, not across the system. Was wondering why I only kept fighting bugs.

Also ran into a weird bug where the dropship landed and none of us could enter it. So we just ran around doing objectives until the time expired.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Banjo Bones posted:

How did mechs work in the first game? Will be bummed if lvl 20+ gameplay devolves into everyone just gets into a mech

They moved (and thus aimed) slowly. They were very vulnerable to getting surrounded. They were susceptible to giving and receiving friendly fire since they had massively destructive weapons and moved really slowly, unable to get out of way of calldowns. The were pretty balanced IMO and they had their uses. However they really dropped off in the hardest difficulties since you generally wanted to be stealthy and constantly on the move and the mechs were just far too slow to keep up.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kinda wish there was an option to have the strategem inputs to always show, not when you're just calling them down. I'll probably commit them to muscle memory at some point but right now it's can be difficult to call some of them down in the middle of a fight.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Social media is filled with helldiver clips and memes so, yeah, this weekend is gonna be rough.

Alkydere posted:

Primary SMG seems...pretty good. I like slower firing, heavier hitting weapons so weapon that seems to be the starting rifle but stronger (and an SMG so can be one-handed) seems nifty.

The SMG is great. Fun fact: You can 'blindfire'(fire without aiming) behind you without slowing down. Great for when stuff is chasing you. This goes for all one-handed weapons.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

triple sulk posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a non hyped game blow up like this

palworld literally came out a month ago lol

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

KingKapalone posted:

Just bought the game. Didn't know there were all these issues right now. It says I have to link my Sony and Steam accounts, but on the Sony website I just get an error that something went wrong. Is that related to all the server stuff? Why is there a Skip button on this screen if it says linking the accounts is required?

You don't need to link your accounts. I skipped it just fine even before the servers started pooping themselves

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fought my first Bile titan last night. Killed it with an EAT and the body proceeded to fall over and crush me to death.

10/10

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Post patch experience:

-Still need to queue to get into the game (The 'join someone already in game' bypass works)

-Quickmatch works (PC with crossplay enabled)

-Had my first crash-to-desktop since playing. Likely patch related.

-Learned not to shoot down a dropship when it's directly above me :downs:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cognac McCarthy posted:

If you join on someone to bypass the queue, can you then leave the game and go back to your own ship?

You can

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this is insane, HD1 was a top down twin stick shooter, not a major release squad shooter, they never should have expected it to only barely exceed HD1

I mean HD2 is not a "major release" squad shooter either. Like you said, It's a $40 sequel to a top down stick shooter. Nobody, even the devs, knew it would be this popular.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Unlocked the railgun and I can see why pretty much everyone over lvl 20 rolls with it. Kind of disappointing, hope they balance the rest of the weapons to be more viable so everyone isn't just running the same loadouts for most missions

I remember HD1 had a similiar problem in that most people use the laser rifle as it had unlimited ammo

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Protip: Don't drop into a cage

https://i.imgur.com/L2GBF7a.mp4

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Unnecessarily diving to the ground to line up Railgun shots just cause it looks and feels cool

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Xpforr posted:

Has anyone broken down how the unsafe vs safe options on the rail gun work? Is it worth the risk?

The unsafe setting is pretty generous. It's like 4+ seconds of charging before it explodes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

After fighting noting but bots for like the last 15+ ingame hours up to impossible, I jumped into extreme level bug mission and proceeded to get wrecked because fighting them is nothing like the bots. I hope the two unrevealed factions are just as different from each other but it seems hard to imagine.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Turns out you can land on top of the tower on the defense mission, and that railings are optional

https://i.imgur.com/KZhYlZ1.mp4

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Am I nuts or are the robots way harder at difficulty 5 than 6 or 7 because without tanks as a potential spawn you just get a ton of hulks, which is way worse

Two shots with the anti material rifle in their big red glowing eye is the best way to heal with hulks until you get the rail gun.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

dialhforhero posted:

The 15 minute kill all you can while on a hill are the best missions IMO. Set up mortars and turrets everywhere and just call all the air strikes. Time them well and it is just pure destruction.

Also setting up mines at entry points is cool and good.

Also because you can get in and out and they are great quick-play engagements.

Those seem to be like 90% of the missions people run in quick play and they get dull pretty fast if anyone knows what they're doing at all.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Infidelicious posted:

Breaker is great against bots if you are using an autocannon or AMR which are amazing vs. Bots at ranges the Breaker Isn't.

It is much better vs. Berserkers and it is great at chain stunning Heavy Ds or staggering small guys launching flares, and does enough damage that hitting them in the face typically kills them.

Been using the dominator and slugger lately and they're fun and good but require much more precise aim to get results out of; and if you're putting that kind effort you're better served by both the AC and AMR.

Yeah I find the Breaker still the best against bots because it covers what the Railgun and the starting pistol don't: Taking down Berserkers and clumps of troopers.

Thumbtacks posted:

hellmire skybox owns

This game is gorgeous

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Aphrodite posted:

What's the best pair of eagle call-ins? I'm using Cluster Bomb right now and it's great but can't hit buildings.

I've been using the regular airstrike with the 500 kg bomb (with maxed Eagle upgrades, so I get two 500kg bombs before it needs to rearm) and I've found it to be the most versatile calldowns when paired with a railgun.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't mind people rambo'ing since they generally know what they're doing and it does accomplish stuff faster. Special exception to this one pubbie who tried to rambo, died, and then tried to convince one/all of us to trek across the map to get his stuff back.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I strongly believe the "optimal" way to play is two teams of two scouring the map, reinforcing eachother if they die and kiting swarms away from objectives if needed, it's a 40 minute timer people, if you are spending 10 minutes grinding towards a single objective through 10 patrols calling in reinforcements and lost half your respawns and your call-down weapons are covered in 200 enemies, you probably could be doing something better.

Other than teams of two that's how it worked in the first game on the highest difficulties too. You generally wanted to avoid getting bogged down in a fight and be a sneaky and quick as possible to hit objectives.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 27, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

dsf posted:

is this game worth buying if I dont have friends?

Do you mind playing with pubbies and/or adding goons to play with?

You can technically solo missions in this game but it's definitely built around playing with others.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Turin Turambar posted:

I know they are some aliens, kinda Protoss inspired, but I don't know anything else, didn't play HD1. So tell me wonder/horror stories about them!

They had a unit that shot an orb that if it hit you, reversed your controls. They had another unit whose sole purpose was to throw up energy walls that stopped everything except other Illuminates and their weapons. The walls deployed from the source unit but sometimes angles made it tricky to hit, especially if another wall unit covered it. The rest of their roster was fairly standard, with their army leaning more towards melee/short range.

So one counterplay to them was the jetpack, which was much more spammable in HD1 as it replaced your dive. You could just hop over the walls, or spam the jump key if you were confused. The grenade launcher was also great against them since it fired in an arc over the walls. Mechs were absolutely useless against them since they were way too slow to avoid the walls and would inevitably get trapped even if they didn't die right away(the walls one-shot anything in their path when first deployed)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

will vehicles take up a stratagem slot or will the devs be nice and give everyone a dedicated vehicle slot

They took up a strategem slot in the first game. Some vehicles could fit more than one person though

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RandomBlue posted:

Hope they make at least one laser weapon that doesn't suck since the game doesn't have those.

The meta weapon in the first game was a laser shotgun. Maybe they'll bring it back

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Darth Walrus posted:

So, in light of the battle for Veld, what are the particularly good anti-bug stratagems, particularly at mid and low tiers? I've been having decent luck with my old friends the Eagle airstrike and gatling turret, the minefield has had its uses, and (as mentioned) the flamethrower seems a pretty solid support weapon, but I'm open to experimentation and expanding my arsenal.

Grenade Launcher is amazing against bugs, especially for shutting down the bug holes. Pair with supply backpack and you can basically use it as your primary

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm really glad they made the objective inputs audible so in the quiet lull between fighting we can all hear you gently caress up the inputs 3 times in a row

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LazyMaybe posted:

"The distance enemies can spot you at is reduced by 30%" and it's not close

As someone who likes to sneak off and get objectives/samples, yeah.

Just wish the radar ping worked with spotting, but that might be a little OP

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Warmachine posted:

The Stalwart is my go-to if I'm not wanting to play the visually impressive but kinda weak flamethrower psychopath.

As someone who was a consummate Battlefield supply player, how am I supposed to tell who needs bullets? I see the red/flashing red icons next to squaddie health bars, but even handing them a pack doesn't always result in the UI indicating they now have ammo. It's easier with backpack reloads since I can see the model update to show they have a full rack of RR shots or whatever.

It's not perfect but the little icons on the bottom left indicate who is low on stims/ammo when they turn red.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

KingKapalone posted:

I need explanation on mission selection stuff. What does quick play do?

I've been choosing a front, going to a hostile planet, and then I see operations with multiple missions or other missions that people are already in. I get an error every time I try to join one of those that already have people in them. That has left us with choosing an operation.

Is there a way to always fill them? Only seems like a quarter of a time that anyone else joins us.

There's a strategem for throwing up an SOS beacon that supposedly makes your game priority for quickplays

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

hbag posted:

man youre telling me the premium warbonds got the large-mag breaker on the SECOND tier? and it's incendiary rounds? gfdi

It's worse in every way than the regular breaker, and maybe even one of the worst guns in the game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Warmachine posted:

I had a couple really good pubbie groups today. One where they were achievement hunting and we all got really excited about the Rock/Paper/Scissors emote. The other got me through my Extreme operation and got me my Railgun unlocked.

Anything 'bile' is still a pain for me to deal with. Bile Spewers especially. I'm sure there's a more effective way to take them down, but seeing 4-6 globs of artillery fly up just makes me groan. They're the leading cause of death for me vs. bugs at this difficulty.

Unsafe railgun charge one-shots the bile spewers (shoot them in the head) and 1-2 shots Bile Titans. The easiest way to line up that shot is to bait them into spewing acid and then shooting the green sac behind their ears. I've had decent luck just shooting them in their open mouth too.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

They're evolving

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The "stuck blank loading screen until someone force quits" after a mission is becoming frustratingly common for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Large Testicles posted:

Wow gently caress having to have a PSN account to play this. I haven't used mine in I couldn't tell you how long cause the past PS i had was a 3 so when I went to log into it, I had to reset the password. Well I guess my accounts got compromised at some point because all 3 of my email address' answers to the security questions aren't what they should be and support is a bot who sent me to the wrong department the first time and now wont connect me to a live agent again no matter what I try.

You can just skip the account linking step.