Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

why is the thread poll radio buttons and not checkboxes :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm waiting to see what the multiplayer scene will be like, on a toxicity scale from "dota" to "DRG"

has there been any clear sign of how hard one has to sweat to not be a massive liability to the team? i distinctly remember the one time I played the original I played with goons who were more upsettingly toxic than any pubbie I'd played any game with in years. turned me off of the whole damned game (not to mention playing with goons lol)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so before i inevitably buy in despite my promise not to for a while: is matchmaking with randos just completely hosed, or more working-but-iffy?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Don't stand behind a recoiless rifle. Or do it's pretty funny.
i assume "recoiless" is a severe misnomer

(e)

Coldforge posted:

Should be working-but-iffy on steam.
cool, glad to see they're quick on the hop to fix things!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

free hubcaps posted:

The way recoilless rifles work (and have very little recoil) is that the back end is open and ejects the propellant out directly behind it, counteracting the recoil somewhat. A lot ofbthings people think of as rocket launchers are actually RRs
huh, TIL

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fatelvis posted:

echoing that the game is good. just joined a random group of 3 and we busted through a few missions. Great fun, guns are cool, changing the ROF on the machine guns is very fun and changes up how the feel a bunch.
did you find voice comms or anything like that to be necessary?

related, does the game have any kind of ping system a la apex legends?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fatelvis posted:

voice comms arent really necessary so far - and yeah there is a solid ping system. ping at a big bad, and it will be highlighted for everyone, ping near an objective it will tell everyone about the objective etc. seems good
thanks - guess that's my last reservation nipped in the bud so I'll buy in after work. looking forward to getting shot in the head for wandering into lines of fire :patriot:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

shame about the nprotect guard or whatever though, rootkit DRM can take a fuckin' hike

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

poo poo. can you rename the ship, i hit A by mistake :doh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the SES Queen of Pride :quig:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Revitalized posted:

I love that the PC release has the dualsense haptics properly integrated. It's one of my favorite things about playing games on the PS5.

how do you get this working btw, they work in Death Stranding but I haven't noticed anything here

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Diephoon posted:

After reading about people missing loot containers I thought this thing might be one of them, but it was in fact a bomb

https://i.imgur.com/cwEe5j2.mp4
"oh" lmfao

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mistakes.m4v

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kaddish posted:

So it’s actually up now? For realsies?
it sure isn't for me on PC :mad:

(e) of course as soon as i alt tab to complain it works lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I'm usually someone that whales the gently caress out on games like this and I haven't spent a dime. I almost have enough super credits from doing missions to buy the premium pass anyway. They all use the same currency to advance it (medals) so even if you have the premium pass you're still picking and choosing what you're unlocking. And the weapons are for the most part a sidegrade.

It's an extremely reasonable monetization scheme in these dark days.
it's a shame that the frog has been boiled so hard that it's acceptable at all in a full-price game; but yeah at least it's not p2w garbage

i wonder if super earth is as much a capitalist hellhole as our decidedly-not-super-at-all earth

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 14, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

three other people and some probably-asinine number of helldiver popsicles, anyway :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

if i can't get it for a jackson or less it's full price in my books :colbert:

but yeah despite all that this game is rapidly catching up with DRG in my list of co-op game all-timers; and i haven't even fought the 'bots yet

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I put it on R3 instead of melee, which seemed to work okay, but i have a controller with backpaddles - probably not great without those since you'd inevitably tweak your aim trying to press the stick in

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

is there a way to stop holding the touchpad on ps5 controllers from bringing up the chat box on PC? i use it as my PTT button but I don't see the bring-up-text-chat thing anywhere in the bindings

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah I didn't actually have to do anything except login to my existing account, and the link was done. no captchas or anything

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Oh yea I forgot to mention, to take out bot factories with the ac, you aim it higher than you would think, like at the hatch above the vent. As if you're trying to ricochet it downwards. Once you figure out where to hit it it's pretty reliable, but I found I had to be standing right in front of it. If the door opens you can put one in there too.
is this how I'm supposed to use the grenade launcher too? 'cause i've been trying to use it to destroy those and close bug nests, and have like a 0 out of 40 success rate so far

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bad enough they apparently had a loving teleporting shield dome

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

explosivo posted:

Yep. And the grenades have to go pretty much directly in so shooting at an angle is usually iffy because they'll bounce off something. Once you figure out how to do it and dial in the range with maybe a couple missed shots you can pretty reliably close them up from far away.
good to know. i know i can just solo drop into a trivial mission but i wish this game had a proper training area to try out equipment, practice shots like these, etc

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

JBP posted:

40k Orks ripoff faction. No heavy armour at all. Lots of screaming and waves of charging dudes. Trucks with light/medium armour full of guys; if you pop the truck the guys don't die they just fall out.
god fighting off a proppa' WAAAAAGH in this game would be incredible

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

JBP posted:

I haven't seen it but this appraisal means I'm definitely going to get it lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

"subtlety is for cowards" -arrowhead, probably

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

PC version is showing 220,000+ people playing right now, so that probably has something to do with it (server instability, crashing).
:stare: jesus, this lit up

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Dunning Kruger in real time.
wouldn't this be the opposite of d-k, tho

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

capitalism continues to, and will always, be A gently caress

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 20, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

did the PC side even have all that much marketing, because i was not seeing any hype for it at all before launch, anywhere, this thread aside

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Queen of Pride :quig:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

well that didn't take long :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tried again to play this morning, on difficulty 3, and got kicked again after 5 minutes and one accidental tk

i can't believe the community's gotten like this so fast. i regret spending money on this

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

this. just play with goons!
can't. brainworms

(e) getting kicked for poor play by a total stranger is bad enough for me, playing with and disappointing someone in the same community is 10x worse

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 4, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vanilla Bison posted:

You can't disappoint a true Helldiver, you can only be a surprise difficulty modifier.
this isn't exactly a heartening statement

explosivo posted:

Just host your own game and keep matchmaking on, send an SOS when you get in game to prioritize you with randoms. If you get a shithead who is tk'ing or being a dick then kick em. :shrug:
last time i tried this i was left solo until extract, and the person who dropped killed me as they boarded

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 4, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i like the dualsense haptics but only now am i realizing how truly abysmal the dpad is for entering stratagems. might be part of why i'm so bad. guess i'll try kbm

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

didn't they say that being able to skip that is temporary and eventually you'll have to link up to continue playing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm sad that stealth seems to be becoming meta even at low difficulties. makes me not want to even play anymore, that poo poo is boring

i just wanna shot poo poo :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

idk i mostly hang out at lvl 7 difficulty and its definitely not stealth, but we do move between points quickly. no reason to stay and fight the constant waves of aggro bugs
i just seem to have real poo poo luck with matchmaking i guess lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

how does reloading on the autocannon work? i got it unlocked late last night and was confused as gently caress the whole time why i couldn't reload sometimes

(e) also taking it means no supply backpack right? :(