Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah but they are going to adjust their gameplan in response. Thats why I hate hate hate that that stupid christmas game even happened.

Nope, the Ravens will be rightly favored by 14 points, should easily win the game, and everyone in the media will say so for two straight weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Freaquency posted:

I think you’ll find that the pooping happens in Baltimore, actually.

Look, there's enough poop to go around. Both cities can have pooping.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Cool, now do the 1983-84 season championship game.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Sports Illustrated may be dead, yet they’re going out with a bang

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/01/24/troy-aikman-didnt-book-vacation-cowboys-nfc-championship

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Play BG3 and immediately gain a better grasp of how hosed you are if you count on random chance.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Black Sunshine posted:

The problem with the niners is that everyone on the team is cool as poo poo but the franchise itself has won too many times already so gently caress em.

Lions Bitch

Lions won 4 NFL championships before the super bowl was a thing. It's been 30 years for the 49ers, and granted it's been 70 for the Lions, but once you hit that point where most players in the NFL are younger than the last franchise victory, how much does it matter?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Black Sunshine posted:

This is insane and you know it

My fellow football fan, what exactly are we doing here if not indulging in insanity.

Black Sunshine posted:

49era fan "how much do these things really matter?"

Ignoring everything I actually said to completely misrepresent it is the most TFF thing you could do.

Kalli posted:

The 49ers are just the Cowboys with less annoying press.

Sadly true, although I would add also without the absurd self-aggrandizement by the players and owner.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 24, 2024

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Black Sunshine posted:

To say "it's been 30 years since we won a Superbowl and literally never for the other team but they won some things in the '50s before the league existed!" isn't as compelling as you think it is. Nobody gives a poo poo about anything before the AFL/NFL merger. Citing pre-merger championships is tantamount to making fun of said team because "lol it's basically ancient history"

I don't know how old you are, but there are actually some people in the world for whom 30 years is longer than they've been alive, and also ancient history.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Papercut posted:

This line of reasoning could be used to snuff out Cowboys hate, which I absolutely will not stand for

Please see Kalli's post for the rebuttal to this.

a neat cape posted:

They made me cry in 1994

Fan trauma lasts forever, and is the best reason to hate a franchise. Sports at it's purest.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Black Sunshine posted:

I'm not making stupid arguments here

Yet you're apparently still arguing against something that was never said :shrug:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Black Sunshine posted:

I mean, what am I missing here because you're using pre-merger things to play down your own teams significant accomplishments compared to your opponent in this particular matchup.

No, I was trying to contextualize and clarify what you said about the 49ers winning a lot.

quote:

The problem with the niners is that everyone on the team is cool as poo poo but the franchise itself has won too many times already so gently caress em.

If winning games is your only barometer then that's totally fair, but that's a very "hang the banners" kind of winning. If by winning you mean winning championships, then both teams have had past success that's far enough in the past to be irrelevant to a modern victory.

I stated a view based on what you posted, and it's entirely possible it was irrelevant to your intention, but that wasn't clear to me. That's why I didn't try to distort what you said in order to make an argument against it, I simply said what I said about franchise victories.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

All victories matter post-merger because every ring must be kissed

It was still the NFL, and they had hardware.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Black Sunshine posted:

I get that 30 years is a long time and understand the argument to a degree but it's still within the confines of the NFL proper which is the Superbowl era.

My team has been the 2nd biggest joke in the league since 2003 but I don't feel I can complain too hard because of the crazy success the team had in the '70s and early '80s. That's just my take though

This is why I agreed I was being insane, because my perspective on it as a fan is radically different than yours as a fan :hmmyes:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There are far more people alive now who saw the last SF Super Bowl than the last Detroit championship. There are also far more people alive now who were alive the last time SF won a title than people who weren’t. The median age of a Super Bowl viewer is almost 50. NFL viewership in general is skewed to the 35-65 range.

All of this means that a majority of fans and casual viewers grew up in an era where the 49ers were historically successful and the Lions were historically awful. If you don’t expect that to color perceptions I don’t know what to tell you.

Of course it does. I also don't care.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

"world champ" is a lie and you know it

Rings must be kissed!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ghost Dog posted:

i also think the 49ers suck and who do i blame? the fans for not rooting good enough

I hope Lamar refuses to sign a long term contract with the Ravens after the way they treated him, and signs with the Steelers instead.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ghost Dog posted:

i guess i gotta worry about this coming true in 30 years

Hopefully sooner! :argh:

Edit: Seriously, I don't know what to say about the Ravens other than they're stupidly well run and have a few weird fans. Hard to talk poo poo about y'all :smith:

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 25, 2024

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Mustached Demon posted:

Another nfccg appearance for the niners involved defeating a scandalous Saints team.

Nick Bosa has seemingly chilled out, but he was right on the edge of Aaron Rodgers territory for a while. I don't know.

Saints are obviously poo poo and always will be after Bountygate, but they're still not Nazis.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Despera posted:

Blaming the NFL for any flag against the ravens for the sole reason of getting tay tay to the big game

I will always be grateful to Travis Kelce and the Chiefs for saving us from a world where Swifties are Eagles fans.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Pizza is good, enjoy it however you want.

As long as you don't use put sardines on it. gently caress that.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I got Peking duck pizza from California Pizza Kitchen once back in college.

I think that was the only time I've ever said "why did I eat that pizza"

California Pizza Kitchen gave you the options, you chose to go with Peking duck.

Kudos to you for having courage, though.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Edit: beaten

AP sports writers must be 90% Cowboys fans.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Dak had a really good season and voting happens before the playoffs start.

Did you miss the part where he was on both the MVP and Offensive Player of the Year lists, along with Lamar Jackson and Christian McCaffery?

Or do you think he really had a similar impact this year?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

C-Euro posted:

Well poo poo, I stand corrected. Even more impressive then!

He's had a crazy fast ascent, joined the 49ers coaching staff in 2017, was a position coach the next year, then DC after two or three years (when Saleh left for the Jets job).

Head coach of Houston after only two seasons as DC. He's really good.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He lead the league in TDs, and kept his Int rate down. He was efficient and produced a lot of points. I think that’s pretty impactful.

Okay.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

That's an expansion team roster.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grittybeard posted:

On the other hand imagine Kadarius Toney having two rings.

Keeping one ring on strains his hands to the very limits. Giving him two would be cruel, he'd spend the rest of his life picking them up off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Marlon Humphrey needs to pay Rock Ya-Sin a hundred grand and swap names with him, that’s just a criminal waste.