Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Good on Kith, drat mods were gonna let it roll right into Feb 2024 and still have it be USCE 2023. We're 1/12 through the year already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I love reading about Kratom in TCC because it sounds like such a miserable experience in every way. I just cannot imagine a reason to get into Kratom, at all.

e: "yeah the taste is awful and I couldn't poo poo for days but hmm, I did feel like a little high for a few minutes"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rappaport posted:

It's not like human heads are in short supply

Not even human heads dumb enough to let Elon Musk shove electronics into them

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

Every moment Bruce spent playing around in costume instead of funding social programs with his wealth is indulgent and wasted, and even "good" versions of batman beat up criminals and henchmen who are much more likely to be minorities and in poverty, just so he could get a hardon or whatever.

ACAB includes Batman.

Also he was still a multibillionaire, so he wasn't doing enough good.

There are obviously parallels to real world issues and there are attempts to address it but it's also very clearly a comic book universe in which there are just really bad people that need to be stopped by superheroes. It's an absurd reading of the comics to hold Bruce Wayne/Batman to the same moral calculus as if the comic book universe he resides in is exactly the same as our own. It's silly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Youth Decay posted:

Hell no need to dig up videos of Trump, he does that poo poo every day
https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1756116291541258242

Clearly he's saying he would be in a different time zone

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cimber posted:

Bill Clinton is younger than Trump and Biden.

That kinda fucks with me because man, he looks like poo poo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Raenir Salazar posted:

Twitch streamers are free. :colbert:

Not when you factor in the cost of buying used bath water from them

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think ongoing support for Israel in the face of current reality can safely be called psychotic, but "psychotic" is also just a popular word right now for whatever reason.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kalli posted:

We're 10 months into the great medicaid/CHIP unwinding, where the expiration of the continuous enrollment condition of the Covid Act, and as of the end of January, well over 16.2 million people have been kicked off:

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/halfway-through-the-medicaid-unwinding-what-do-the-data-show/

Almost half the people in the program, almost 46 million, are still in limbo or unreported, though the article points out some states prioritized people most likely to be kicked off (hopefully Oklahoma, jesus christ) so the %'s might get better for some states.

Also many of the removed are actually eligible for medicaid, so some will get re-added, but uh, bleak.

This poo poo sucks. I have to talk to elderly people every day and explain why they no longer qualify for good health care coverage and need to accrue thousands of dollars of bills in order to qualify for Medicaid when they are barely surviving in subsistence living with their social security checks. People are 100% dying because of this.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shut up and JAM! posted:

I'm appalled anyone could willingly be part of a fascist machine that denies some of the most vulnerable parts of society their unalienable human rights to healthcare and try to justify it by casually condemning it as "poo poo sucks" all while drawing a paycheck while people are, by their own words, 100% dying.

Outside of a few years of retail hell, my career has been dedicated to serving my community and the public good, so kindly go gently caress yourself

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I do have some feelings about the ethics of IVF when there are so many children without homes stuck in the foster system or on the streets. But I know what an expensive nightmare adoption can be, so I am not sure I can really blame anyone for taking the alternative expensive nightmare of IVF.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean I'm reading Nixonland right now and it's hilarious how prescient it is despite being about poo poo that happened 60 years ago. A bunch of really educated newspaper and book writers went all the way up their own asses trying to find the hidden truth of the conservative, and when it came down to it, it was much more simple than that. White, middle class people in this country are primed to be racist loving reactionaries the second they are inconvenienced or think that other people might catch up to them in prosperity. And they will vote for whoever tells them that they're right and that they shouldn't have to accept people of color, the poor, the oppressed, etc because it interferes with the narrative that they are the protagonist and are doing better than those people because they are hardworking and moral American citizens, and the others are degenerate filth. And for those reactionaries on the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder, it's even easier, because they can just blame those others for why their lives are unsuccessful and unsatisfying. "It's those moochers taking" they say, as they happily collect their monthly food stamps.

This country is deeply hosed because of its racist reactionary roots and America's failure to reckon with it post-civil war.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Discendo Vox posted:

It has already been communicated to you, and you have already acknowledged, that the economic framing is not an effective part of the rhetorical framing of fascism. it's a pretense. You already acknowledged it is a pretense. It is not what makes the rhetoric effectve. You have done nothing to show that it is effective, and multiple users, multiple times, have explained that it is not the means by which people engage with fascism.

The pretense is effective in as much as it convinces the media to look sympathetically at racists because they accept the pretense at face value. And the pretense is effective in giving moderates/centrists/"non-MAGA" Republicans the ability to deny their own inherent racism and convince themselves that they're not racist, actually while supporting policies that are implicitly and explicitly racist/anti-lgbtq and/or fascist.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean most adults can't deal with having an addictive depression device in their pockets, much less minors. The horse has long sense left the barn but the best solution probably would have been to ban smart phones for minors. The parents' reasoning for having phones in class for emergencies would be satisfied with a dumb phone and if the US had any ability to keep up with new tech and regulate efficiently this could have been a solved problem before it started.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oracle posted:

My kid got dinged on a homework assignment in health class for not having a smart phone. The assignment: tell me how much time you spend on your phone, how you can keep yourself from being on your phone all the time, and whether or not it’s healthy. They also often do stuff in class like live polling apps or trivia games or watching videos and answering questions that encourage kids to use their phones. I get it but there’s some mixed messages there.

In a rational society that actually gives a poo poo about kids and funds their educations, that could be done with school provided tablets or computers. Or you know, you can just teach without some of that bullshit, or do them the old-fashioned way using paper or watching things in a classroom TV.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Angry_Ed posted:

Seriously, Alabama conservatives care more about a frozen embryo than they do an actual living, breathing human being.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It was also an extraordinary circumstance that hadn't been seen for roughly 100 years and required a drastic response, and Republicans still fought to make the government response shittier. That all that happened was in spite of Trump being in office, not because of it. A hypothetical response under President Clinton would probably have been just as helpful, if not more so.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Morrow posted:

Most people are drug abusers. Coffee and alcohol are socially acceptable uppers and downers that most people use every day.

Makes u think

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kith posted:

part of the reason that you shouldn't take polls seriously this far out is because the people who respond to them tend to not be a great demographic. like if you're polling via landlines in this day and age, what do you think those respondents are going to be like?

pretty much the only polls worth keeping an eye on right now are exit polls for the primaries, since those tend to be answered by a broader variety of people and therefore be more representative of the average citizen.

e: mostly representative.

https://x.com/_cingraham/status/1765461345808580786?s=20

I think what this shows is that America's brain melted elder population is a demographic that is spoiled for choice in candidates that represent them

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hadji murad posted:

Oh. Only took a hundred years. Probably similar for the Gaza genocide.

Well since they don't have time travel would you rather it be currently recognized or not?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hooman posted:

Do you have any sources to back up the assertion that Democratic Party propaganda has no effect on people?

EDIT: Do you have any sources to back up this assertion?

I can't speak for HA, but I do believe that they may have been referring to the inability for Dems to poison the Trump well enough to prevent Trump from getting elected in 2016. Because the Dem propaganda machine did a piss poor job of convincing anyone not already planning to vote for Hillary that she was an adequate candidate. The Dem propaganda machine was wholly incapable of pushing back against 30+ years of the right wing smearing of Hillary Clinton and the vitriol that has been levied at her since Newt and Rush did their thing.

There were tons of legitimate reasons to dislike Hillary and think she was a terrible candidate. Her campaign was godawful and she made horrendous missteps. She is far more conservative than I would like to see in a Democratic candidate (but that has been true for pretty much every Democratic candidate in my lifetime). Nevertheless the Bernie campaign did do a lot to influence the Democratic policy platform in 2016 and actually did succeed in pushing her to the left. But the data shows that by and large the left DID suck it up and largely vote for Hillary. They like to blame "Bernie Bros" for the loss in 2016, but the fact of the matter is that the Dem propaganda machine was 100% incapable of pushing back against the hatred and spite directed at Hillary that had affected everyone basically any further right than Al Gore. It was the moderates that couldn't suck it up for Hilldawg and would rather see the relative political unknown of Turnp in 2016, and it was the moderates in 2020 that said "oh god what were we thinking" that led to Biden's victory in 2020. She never had a chance with the white "middle class" and I don't think there was much any Dem propaganda could have done about that.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 9, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Actually love to see Boeing crashing and burning as a result of their decision to move production to places with weak labor laws and lower taxes because the obscene tax breaks they were getting in WA just weren't enough. gently caress Boeing

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
None of y'all remember the cat dance? Badger badger badger? Salad fingers? These were things that entertained most of us when we were grown rear end adults or at least close

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Much like the health insurance industry, it would be good to cut out parasitic rent seeking bullshit jobs that serve to do nothing except extract dollars from people who have no choice. And maybe if you excise all those jobs from the economy, it's a good time to start looking at a UBI, or a way to translate those jobs into areas which can actually provide some value to the country and economy.

But lol, lmao

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hasn't there been a ton of stuff that's come out in the last several years regarding DNA being kind of a bunk science, or at least pretty bad as it's applied to criminology? I thought I read stuff about it here on SA. Quick googling brought up an Atlantic article that was paywalled but there were also a few law web sites and a jstor article that came up referencing that the reliability of DNA evidence does not live up to its reputation.

e: some problems I see briefly glancing at what I can seem to be that "experts" are often as questionable as many a coroner, with completely unqualified people working in the role, and the fact that DNA evidence is rarely found or preserved in good enough condition to be as accurate as it potentially could be with specimens in perfect condition (ie a state pretty rare for crime scene dna to be found in).

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 18, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dapper_Swindler posted:

DNA is fine i believe, its just a bunch of surrounding stuff that is mixed.

GlyphGryph posted:

DNA is a fine forensic tool and not junk science, cops are just... not, overall, good at their jobs, and that ends up reflected in how they use their tools.

I'm not saying it's junk science, but if collection, storage, and analysis are all plagued with problems from start to finish because of the incompetence of the people handling it, and there's a solid chance of contamination even before that, it just doesn't seem like the 99% accurate silver bullet as portrayed by both fictional and news media.

e: oh I did say bunk science in my original post, not what I meant, sorry

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 18, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I personally find it pretty gross that many countries in Europe apparently have a 15 week ban and feel like they should do better for their citizens.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't even like driving across the replacement narrows bridge, the idea of driving across "galloping gertie" is positively unhinged. The recently built one next to the 1950 one is fine but the old one gives me a mild sensation of vertigo and I hate it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lumpy posted:

I'm concerned that if these tug jobs last for more than four hours, we might need some medical staff on board.

Buddy, a few years back I was on a tug job in the bering sea for a whole month

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I feel like firing all the white house staffers who admitted to marijuana use is a pretty big indicator that the Biden admin isn't particularly friendly to marijuana despite the extremely mild and gentle push to maybe start thinking about reclassification someday

This is a public declaration for Biden to prove me wrong and make me look like a fool, please do it Mr president

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Biden could get my vote by ending support for Israel's genocide and also doing something about all these god drat spam calls

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

haveblue posted:

The FCC has taken several steps against spam calls but since spammers are generally scumbags they're probably not going to be able to get it down to zero while it's still possible to receive calls from previously uncontacted numbers at all

Judging by my phone calls "not getting it down to zero" is getting rid of essentially none of them. I had one at 7:30 am local time the other day. Most of my spam calls are from dirtbag real estate people trying to low-ball me for property I don't even own. The disadvantage to having a real old number I guess is that once your number is out there, nothing's going to stop anyone from calling you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blarghalt posted:

Biden could go on TV tomorrow and tell America that he was going to start drone striking spam callers and borders would not stop him and America's reaction to this would be to repeal the 22nd Amendment.

If Biden did this I would commit voter fraud to vote for him as many times as possible in states where it would actually matter

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It is funny that it became this super prestigious snobby thing though. I mean look at this fuckin guy

baby godzilla marshmellow motherfucker

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Time and time again people will trot out the "economic anxiety" poo poo when it's been repeatedly debunked and shown to be complete nonsense with regard to the MAGA/Republican base. Their economic concerns are routinely addressed by Dems at the federal level while the Republicans they keep electing in their state pull poo poo like attaching work requirements to Medicaid and intentionally trashing unemployment and food stamps.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Majorian posted:

To make any impact on this particular election, Biden's going to have to run pretty drat hard on his accomplishments and convincingly make the case that they will materially benefit rural voters' lives in the medium-term future. That's a tough case to make, but according to this NYT piece that's the campaign strategy for the moment:

We'll see if that works. It may be too late for this strategy to have much of an electoral impact, but I think it's probably the best shot he has to rack up rural votes.

Well the feds keep extending waivers that make it easy for us to get people on benefits like SNAP, but you know who hates food stamps and "those people" that get them? Republicans who are having nearly every need met by government programs. If Biden ran on "these are the things that meaningfully impact your lives, we're doing them for you," they'd believe it for all of 3 seconds before Fox News tells them that what Biden means is that he's going to give all your benefits to illegals and other types of people who "don't deserve it."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think the biggest issue right now is that they like abortion bans and want to control women, but they have noticed that since Dobbs they are getting absolutely loving wrecked at the polls over it. It's not about what they believe but what is politically viable. Turns out that even people who would normally vote R don't actually want to live in Gilead with the tradcath/evangelical psychos running things.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That sounds like the plot of an always sunny episode.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Willa Rogers posted:

Thanks; I may be unduly skittish based on the specious premises of some of my past probations.

It's okay, I stepped down from being a mod months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Wow so you mean to tell me that something done for a "good reason" with no regard for means testing had lovely results??? Perhaps if they had carved out property tax increase exemptions for those old grandmas instead of just doing it for everyone, that poo poo wouldn't be so hosed up.