Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Biden to deliver remarks soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgmBaKNlN1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Nucleic Acids posted:

That press conference might have been one of the biggest tactical mistakes of his entire career.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, this was fifteen minutes of pure gold to Trump's campaign and the Republicans.

"Let's let an octogenarian do an Open Mic Night at 8pm with clearly little to no prep...WHAT COULD GO WRONG?"

It wasn't a home run, but it didn't ruin his campaign. It was fine.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Xombie posted:

Well they're going on actual real life election results, in swing states, and you're going on vibes.

You seem to be neglecting that Biden already was president, right now, having defeated Trump.

I’m always keeping the post-2016 election results in my mind. That right there should be proof enough. But the vibes can be overwhelming. I’m taking my mom to the dentist and all I’ve heard is “Biden is so feeble! Do you see the way he walks! Just like my mom when she had dementia! The report said he didn’t even know what year it was! Makes you wonder who’s really running this country! It’s someone we didn’t even elect!” It sucks because I know there are more people like her who have been mainlining Fox News 24/7. It’s loving depressing.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did you just say that your vibes are right because they’re the right vibes and you vibe extra hard?

Go for a walk or something.

No. I did not say that. I just said that I understand the vibes and knowing people who buy into the conspiracy bullshit can be depressing.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Xalidur posted:

I'm not blaming anyone or even suggesting/demanding they vote for Biden. It's what I'm going to do, but everyone has their own motivations. What is striking to me though is the extent to which conversations about Gaza place all significant agency with the US regime, instead of say, Netanyahu's. I see a lot of the same rhetoric when the Democrats fail to mind control the Republicans.

What gets me is that Gaza is the only genocide that matters. We know Trump will enable the genocide of trans people with his judicial and executive branch picks. We know his foreign policy will enable the genocide of Kurds, Ukrainians, and throw Eastern Europeans directly in harm's way. But there's only one genocide that factors into their calculus, and that's Gaza. Sure, Biden can prevent the other genocides from happening... and not voting or voting third party doesn't stop the genocide in Gaza... but just trust them. Their moral calculus vibes makes sense to them and you should be ashamed of voting for Biden and stop shaming them even if you have loved one or colleagues that can be directly harmed by Trump. Just don't harsh their vibes, man!

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Kagrenak posted:

This is a stupid line of argument, even if it's not the de jure status of the US. The last time a third party candidate got over 50 EV was over a hundred years ago. The only way this will change is alternative actions that aren't immediately applicable to the question of the 2024 vote. You should absolutely go and support changing how we vote - I helped get an RCV measure on the ballot in 2020 - but it's immaterial to this conversation.

Hey, lets not forget about other successful third party candidates like George Wallace who got 46 electoral votes in 1968 on a platform of "Segregation Now. Segregation Forever." Or billionaire Ross Perot who got the most third party votes in 1992 by being so rich, he could buy his own ads on primetime network television.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

this is a good-faith question from a concerned anti-genocide but still Biden voter:

it was my understanding that the point of voting third party is to show there are substantial numbers of voters who care deeply enough to throw their vote away, so the results of

Genocide Joe 2,100,000
Genocide Don 2,080,000
Peace Party Cand 21,000

might make the losing party adopt some of the third party's positions. apologies if thus is stupid or wrong, I don't have a degree in poli-sci

When running a campaign, there are different "paths" to victory. You can take position X and win with the X group of voters. You could take position Y and win with the Y group of voters. The larger the group of voters you have, the number of "paths" to victory grow exponentially. That's why there's a vast difference between a campaign for a small town mayor and the president of the United States. There's only so many ways a small town mayor can get elected if there's only 8,000 people in town. Meanwhile, in a country of 300,000,000+ people, there are tons of groups (intersecting and non-intersecting) that can help elect a president.

Just because one group didn't vote for a presidential candidate doesn't mean they can't get other groups elsewhere to vote for them. There is an entire industry of people and an entire branch of humanities studies dedicated to analyzing this.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Majorian posted:

Which voting bloc(s) is Biden winning through his hardline Zionist and anti-immigration stances that will make up for the voters he's losing through those same stances, exactly? Not Evangelical Zionists, certainly. Jewish hardline pro-Israel voters? I think their minds are already made up. Immigration hawks? Not likely. So what's the electoral strategy here? Trying to win Florida again?

The example was supposed to be a generic representation to answer the question. I'm sure an actual team of political scientists is already crunching those numbers and looking at groups you and I aren't not even thinking about. And is it the right answer? Again, I was just using a generic example to answer a question.

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 11, 2024

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Majorian posted:

The highlighted items would be extremely unlikely of someone voting Green, given their positions and the plethora of right-wing third parties that exist.

Right, but your post seemed to suggest that there is a strategy at play here - that there are paths to victory for Biden even after he alienates important voter demos that helped elect him in 2020. I'd like to know what you think the strategy is.

I don't know the strategy. I'm not a part of his campaign. I'm not even volunteering at my local office.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Majorian posted:

Okay, so when you say this...

...you're just assuming that Team Biden has a plan here, and that he isn't just shooting himself in the foot? That's the point I'm getting at here. How is what Biden is doing with regard to Gaza and immigration not political malpractice?

No. I was answering this question.

Shrecknet posted:

this is a good-faith question from a concerned anti-genocide but still Biden voter:

it was my understanding that the point of voting third party is to show there are substantial numbers of voters who care deeply enough to throw their vote away, so the results of

Genocide Joe 2,100,000
Genocide Don 2,080,000
Peace Party Cand 21,000

might make the losing party adopt some of the third party's positions. apologies if thus is stupid or wrong, I don't have a degree in poli-sci

It was a generic "this is how politics and campaigning works". I wasn't saying anything about Biden specifically.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

On Gaza, we're all deeply disgusted by it and I don't blame anyone who abjures a Biden or Dem vote over it; it'll certainly cost him votes, and potentially enough to lose one or more states. Maybe even enough to lose him the election. But that doesn't mean any other course of action would be better, because he may well lose a lot more if he had done otherwise. This is a damning indictment of the political system and public, but it's much more difficult to credit it as laying the foundations for corncobbing himself in November. The Palestinian/Arab/Muslim blocs in America simply do not have the numbers or resources or platforms that the pro-Israel blocs do, so it's hardly a suicidal political calculation to think keeping AIPAC happy is a higher priority than keeping CAIR happy.

I was actually discussing this with my kids. I pointed out to them that there's already a baseline anti-Muslim/anti-Arab attitude in America (thanks 9/11 and "War on Terror"). Couple that with the baseline sympathetic views of the Jewish diaspora (The Holocaust, history of enslavement, etc.) and you can see why so many Americans just default to "Israel good", or at least "Israel gets the benefit of the doubt". People have been working for decades against this headwind to get average Americans to recognize what's happening in Palestine. It looks like, and I hope that, it's finally paying off.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

Nope, for the record I think Trump will be just as awful on Gaza. But Trump being president again will free Democrats up to rediscover their consciences again and speak out or act against American complicity. That's why posters keep saying Trump is the harm reduction candidate when it comes to Gaza; it's not a flippant statement. Right now there is no genocide opposition party. With Trump back, that number is free to increase to one.

Just like they did after losing to Reagan, Bush, and Trump.

We had eight years of Obama and drat near got Bernie Sanders. We had four years of Trump and got Biden. When a party loses, their voter base becomes more reluctant to progress or move left. They run to safe, reliable, centrist, and status quo. The analysis that I bolded has been proven wrong multiple times and has only led to more suffering here and abroad.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Majorian posted:

Thank you, I appreciate it. Those are vague threats, though - they remind me of Trump promising to kill all of ISIS' families, something that he didn't follow through on. It's a bloodthirsty and insane post, but it's also in-keeping with his long pattern of offering tough talk on foreign policy and then not following through.

But he did have executive appointments. Some of those appointments held him back from doing greater harm, like General Mattis. Other appointments fed his worst impulses, like Stephen Miller. At the start of 2017, it was a mix of the two. Over the next four years, he would fire those who held him back because he felt they weren't loyal enough to him. So the mix started shifting to loyalists who would indulge his worst policies. It's not unreasonable to believe that Trump's second term would start out full of loyalists that would make his proposals reality.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Lemming posted:

I don't see any defenses of Biden or minimizations of how completely and utterly abborrent he's being on this issue, I think people are more just reacting to the bizarre claims that like, Trump somehow is prevented by some natural law of the universe from being worse, or that there's literally nothing that Biden isn't already doing that could make things even worse

I feel like the driver behind this is people being exasperated by how much worse things are than they seem, which makes it feel necessary to be unequivocal about how bad things are. But to go from that point to saying no, things are as bad as they possibly could be, and that by extension Trump winning could somehow improve the situation, it just makes no sense.

Forcing the Democrats to reckon with the possibility of losing the election and having to change their strategy from genocide support to not genocide support makes sense. Claiming that if they lost the election they would start defending Palestine is magical thinking

And earlier, there were people who said that they will be put in harm’s way under a second Trump administration, but their fears were dismissed. “Look, we’re just going to have to throw you under the bus for a strategy that has no chance of working or to assuage my conscience over this one singular issue. But look on the bright side! If you survive the next four years, there’s a slight possible chance that the Democrats could nominate someone I’d be happy to vote for! Until then, you’re on your own!”

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Apparently I asked my question in the thread at a bad time. Sorry.

I am not American nor have I ever been to America. I'm concerned about the US elections for two main reasons: First that I have a several close friends in America who will be actively threatened by a second Trump administration and secondly because I have a great deal of anxiety about the topic of climate change. From my perspective as an outsider I want Joe Biden to win because I am very concerned about the safety of my friends and because he's the only candidate who, even if insufficient, can achieve anything at all when it comes to carbon emissions.

The other option is Trump and he is only going to make both of those worse which scares me very, VERY deeply. I know I'm not the only one and I think this perspective is something worth considering.

Please. If you can't bring yourself to vote for Biden then at the very least, I'm begging you all, don't do anything that will enable Trump.

Are your friends currently being bombed by Israel? If not, people here don’t care. Trans rights, unionization, Ukraine, Eastern Europe, none of that matters. Gaza is literally the only thing happening in the world right now. In fact, there are people in this thread ready to call you out for vote shaming because you care about your friends and immediate family instead of the innocent lives in Gaza. You should be grateful to sacrifice your friends so the posters here can keep a clean conscience you genocide enabler you!

This post is satirical because I’m in the same boat as you are and the myopic views in this thread and elsewhere on social media are absolutely depressing.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

James Garfield posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertKennedyJr/status/1756900265368723562

Don't you hate it when you accidentally air a Super Bowl ad?

edit: The ad which is completely unaffiliated with the RFK Jr. presidential campaign is also pinned on the RobertKennedyJr twitter account :iiam:

The best part is that the ad is pinned on his Twitter profile.

EDIT: beaten

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

The RFK ad also appeals to a voter base that is small and getting smaller by the day. Like 20 years ago, it would of been an interesting idea for an ad but now it doesn't resonate.

"Hey! Remember how political dynasties were awesome?!"

No.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MonmouthPoll/status/1757797491829821651

What's the mechanism here?
1 - Taylor Swift is popular
2- ?????
3 - Biden wins

Remember, these are the same people who think you can become trans or communist by reading a book. So, if Taylor Swift supports Joe Biden, her fans will have received her programming and automatically become Biden voters. Also, the 29% that don't associate with GOP? I can believe that. There's this subset of Swift fans that think she's secretly a lesbian and has been sending coded messages in her albums and media appearances to indicate so. It's so bizarre but totally in line with conspiratorial thinking.

Kagrenak posted:

I think the intelligence subcommittee would have already been able to see the contents

They're in on it, too! :tinfoil:

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

I love the thumbnail they used for video in the article.

- "Which picture from her OnlyFans should we use during the live report?"
- "How about this tasteful nude?"
- "Nah. Not gratuitous enough"
- "How about this one of her getting railed?"
- "Too explicit. We can't show her O-face on the air!"
- "How about this one of her spreading her rear end cheeks?"
- "That's perfect!"

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1758183733595660310

Like most suspected, this wasn't a planned thing just a thing that happens when a bunch of people are walking around armed.

I thought an armed society was a polite society.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

B B posted:

I think we call Genocide Joe "Genocide Joe" because he's the one actively participating in the genocide and preventing the UN from calling for a ceasefire. As far as we know, Donald Trump isn't currently providing any material support in the way that Joe Biden continues to do. I am sure that if Donald Trump manages to win the presidency from Joe Biden and provides material support to the genocide, you'll see people criticizing Donald Trump with similar language.

No. I don't think we will. I see people right now trying to memory hole Trump's enabling of Kurdish genocide by the Turkish government. I see people handwave away Trump's plans to enable Ukrainian genocide by the Russian government. And when people mention that communities will be erased here in the US by Trump's executive and judicial picks, they're twisting themselves into a pretzel by saying stuff like "I don't think he really cares that much". So I call a giant "bullshit" on that impending criticism.

theCalamity posted:

It’s because Trump isn’t the president. Joe Biden is currently the president and aiding Israel hence the moniker.

Exactly! Trump's never been the president or made his future plans known! He's just a big ol' blank slate that could do anything!

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 20, 2024

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Kchama posted:

So was Trump not President and aiding Israel when they were still doing their genocide 2016-2020?

Or the Kurds. Like I said, they just memory hole Trump's time in office. Either that or they really don't care about genocide. They just like sounding like they care.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

World Famous W posted:

deflecting to "but trump" everyt8me someone points out biden's active and current support of genocide makes it look like the deflector doesn't actually care either

Well, yeah when you don't care (or pretend to care) about literally any other group of people, it may seem like that. It's mostly dealing with realities of living in American democracy and making the best choices within it. Sure, if I was willing to throw all of my friends and colleagues under the bus, I could take the brave stand to do nothing and look smug while doing it. But I can't do that.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

B B posted:

The "best choice" here apparently involves circumventing Congress multiple times to provide ammunition to a genocidal regime, gaslighting the public about the ongoing genocide, and blocking any efforts by the international community to stop the ongoing genocide,.

EDIT: Too heated. Withdrawn

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 20, 2024

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, Democrats chose to use their short period of a functional supermajority to focus on getting the ACA and other urgent priorities passed instead of abortion rights which at the time were not in immediate peril. Part of that was because the ACA was going to be hard to dismantle once in place while a future Republican court willing to strike down Roe would find it trivial to strike down a law that affirmed Roe. Probably a good choice both in hindsight and the moment, but since 2016 everyone who yawned loudly at the idea of voting for the courts used it as an unearned vindication.

Yeah, it's not like codifying Roe into law would make it impervious to attack from SCOTUS. Hell, the Voting Rights Act is law but it's not stopping the Roberts court from taking big juicy bites out of it.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Pack it in everybody. Fox News has figured out how Trump has been increasing his poll numbers with black voters. They love sneakers.
https://x.com/acnewsitics/status/1760580220371759166?s=20

Also, didn't see this mentioned. Check your phones because there's been a big cellular network outage across the country and affecting the big three carriers.

AT&T customers hit by widespread cellular outages in U.S.

NBC News posted:

By Marlene Lenthang
AT&T’s network suffered widespread outages across the country Thursday morning with cellular service and internet down, according to the tracking site Downdetector.

Some Verizon and T-Mobile customers also reported outages, though both companies said those affected had been trying to contact AT&T users.

Over 32,000 AT&T outages were reported by customers at about 4 a.m. ET Thursday. Reports dipped then spiked again to more than 50,000 around 7 a.m., with most issues reported in Houston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, and Atlanta, according to the site.

That number surged to more than 71,000 just before 8 a.m. ET.

A little over 1,100 T-mobile outages and about 3,000 Verizon outages were reported as of 7 a.m. Thursday.

It's not clear what triggered the service disruption.

AT&T acknowledged the issue Thursday morning saying: “Some of our customers are experiencing wireless service interruptions this morning.”

“We are working urgently to restore service to them. We encourage the use of Wi-Fi calling until service is restored,” the company said.

On X, the company has been responding to customers reporting cell service issues across the country.

Verizon said Thursday morning that the outages are not affecting their network directly, only customers trying to reach another carrier.

T-Mobile also said early Thursday that the network didn't suffer an outage and is operating normally, and Downdetector numbers likely reflect customers attempting to reach users on other networks.

The outages pose a concern as some people may be unable to call 911 in the case of an emergency.

San Francisco’s Fire Department said on X that it was aware of an issue affecting AT&T wireless customers from making and receiving phone calls, including 911.

“The San Francisco 911 center is still operational,” the office said. “If you are an AT&T customer and cannot get through to 911, then please try calling from a landline. If that is not an option then please try to get ahold of a friend or family member who is a customer of a different carrier and ask them to call 911 on your behalf.”

Similarly, Chicago's Office of Emergency Management & Communications, Virginia’s Prince William County police department and North Carolina’s Charlotte-Mecklenburg police department have issued warnings on X alerting the public about the outage while acknowledging some customers were briefly unable to contact 911.

Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens said in a statement that the city is gathering information to assist in resolving the issue.

“Atlanta’s e-911 is able to receive inbound and make outbound calls. We have received calls from AT&T customers that their cellular phones are in SOS mode,” Dickens said.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Don't slander Fox News pundits. They did not say that.

They said that black people all love rappers and many rappers have done time in prison, so it will give Trump street cred and make him popular among black voters who admire criminals.

drat. If Trump releases a diss track on Biden, he's guaranteed to win in November.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, this is what an actual populist takeover of a party looks like. Very unfortunate that America is such a demonic country that the populace rallies around Donald loving Trump instead of Bernie, but them's the breaks.

Well, it helps that billionaires have set up entire media empires across many fronts to make it happen.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Trump’s cooking tonight at the Black Conservative Federation.

https://x.com/jitendersehra21/status/1761220030539481413?s=46&t=ziKKPUah_WmpOgrzym-sFg

https://x.com/bidenhq/status/1761219165220647288?s=46&t=ziKKPUah_WmpOgrzym-sFg

https://x.com/bidenhq/status/1761214656687865928?s=46&t=ziKKPUah_WmpOgrzym-sFg

https://x.com/bidenhq/status/1761226715542560851?s=46&t=ziKKPUah_WmpOgrzym-sFg

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Why not have a cubby shelf with a USB plug in it and the kid's name across the bottom. When kids come into the classroom, they put their silent-ed phone in their cubby shelf. If they have a charger cord, they can plug it in and leave it charging during class. When they leave, take it out of the shelf. Teacher doesn't handle the phones at all.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

haveblue posted:

Sure, but what do you do when they don't do that? When every single one of them doesn't do that? It's as much an enforcement problem as it is a policy problem

Yeah, that's when administration/school system has to get involved. The biggest hurdle.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

mutata posted:

I started therapy in 2019 due to crippling anxiety related to climate change which blossomed into a strong long-term depression. I am married and have 2 kids. I'll not get into it all, but one thing I tried is I started focusing on having a good day, and making the given day as successful for me and my family as I can. My mantra to stuff became "but hey, maybe we can order pizza tonight" as a kind of reminder that there is a day, today, right now that I can enjoy, even if there are days I'm gonna hate someday. We're all gonna die. My kids are gonna die. The world is weird and the industry I work in is toxic and collapsing, but hey, maybe we can order pizza tonight.

Sounds dumb, but it was a spoon I used to dig myself out of some dark caves.

My oldest kid was interested in politics and history at 11 years old. I thought it would be cool to let him stay up and watch the 2016 election. "You'll get to watch the first woman be elected president!" Took us hours to calm him down after the call was made. I was obsessed with following the news throughout Trump's tenure and I noticed my son was, too. It forced me to learn to take a step back and do things I enjoy, like spending time with my kid, playing games, and watching movies. I had to teach them not to get consumed and I had to take the same lessons for myself. Sure, they have issues with anxiety (totally unrelated to politics), but they are so much more resilient and well adjusted then I could ever hope for them. Way better than how I was at their age.

It takes a lot, but we have to disengage at times and we're not bad people if we do.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

"STATE'S RIGHTS! ...unless it interferes with Republicans"

https://x.com/AP/status/1764668424045621500?s=20

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Kith posted:

starting to think that this trump fella isn't on the level

also it's pretty loving pathetic that he (or his followers) are stooping to this kinda poo poo

This one looks like they gave Trump tits

https://x.com/joncoopertweets/status/1764707357450207283?s=46&t=ziKKPUah_WmpOgrzym-sFg

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Kchama posted:

Yep. She was doing it to mimic John McCain maverickly preventing Obamacare from being destroyed.

But she did it in the service of being openly and blatantly evil and instead of getting Independent cred it just made everyone despise her.

I know I know it's John McCain, but he did the Maverick thing right. Even though he voted with Republicans over 90% of the time (and a war hawk), he would stake a semi-popular across-the-aisle position every now and then. Campaign finance reform, cap and trade, voting down ACA repeal. Stuff like that. Finally, he'd capitalize the poo poo out of it. Kyrsten wanted to mimic it but did not understand at all how it worked. She just thought MaverickTM meant randomly voting against your own party without rhyme or reason.

I'm truly surprised she allowed her ego to overpower her poo poo political instincts.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Voters are less forgiving of women when they do carnie poo poo. Look how quickly Sarah Palin was relegated to the fringe once everyone realized she was/is a giant piece of poo poo.

I think Sarah was just "ahead of her time". She'd be side-by-side with Trump right now if she didn't flame out so early.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Seriously, what the hell is going on at the New York Times lately? It's getting ridiculous.

If they quote Robinson accurately, it'll seem like bias. He's that loving deranged.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

zoux posted:

Oh and the GOP SotU response remains undefeated in strangling the political career of a young “rising star” in the party

https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/1765959063685218649

The kitchen setting approaches Marenghiesque levels of textual courage.

Bobby Jindal, Joe Kennedy III, Marco Rubio. It's a curse that's a blessing in disguise.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Lev Parnas just casually name dropping working with Senator Ron Johnson and Rep. Pete Sessions during the hearing today. Also, how every news outlet, except Fox and other RWM outlets, weren't buying his poo poo.

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1770472764152877168?s=20

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 20, 2024

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Everything just snaps into place when the GOP has the presidency.

This was the result of the GOP holding onto the Senate between 2010 and 2018. McConnell stalled on just about every judicial appointment Obama made. Then, when Trump won, they sped through appointments and stacked a lot of circuit judges, appellate judges, and SCOTUS judges in their favor.

That’s why it’s an uphill battle when a Democrat wants to do something, but easy as pie for a Republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Tnega posted:

For me it is because I am of the position that the right to strike is a fundamental human right. The 'hotness' of this take is approximately -40 degrees, given that it is on the OHCHR site. I get that some of you are utilitarians, but can we not assign people a dollar value that if they do not meet for the economy by age thirty their organs are forfeit? The previous sentence is not directed at anyone in particular, it was simply meant as a more humorous version of the standard 'utility monster' critique.

Striking may be a fundamental right but strikes aren't a goal to be achieved. Striking sucks because it results in lost wages and they only happen when everything else in the negotiation process failed. People are not eager to strike. That's why it's a last resort.

Biden was able to get the rail workers what they wanted without that hardship and lost wages. That's why they wrote a press release thanking him for his effort.

https://ibew.org/media-center/Articles/23Daily/2306/230620_IBEWandPaid

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 4, 2024