Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I like your choice of thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

James Garfield posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1753180214077620728

Oregon senate Republicans did another walkout after they passed a ballot initiative to ban walkouts and found out.

Is this like a bigger scale version of the do a self-defeating thing ==> complain about it to the base-strategy? They walked out even though they knew it was banned because then it would look like they were being oppressed?

That’s the closest I can come up with for a rationale. I don’t like assuming people I disagree with are just stupid, but it’s really hard to do that when they keep getting stymied by simple causality.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O sure. It is stupid, and gently caress those guys.

I was just trying to suss out the internal axioms and emotional levers that could get a bunch of people to do a stupid thing en masse. I’m assuming they think/thought something else will/would happen.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Okay, thank you.

If I did that in a boardgame it’d haunt me. Holy poo poo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Interesting pronoun use.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Google Jeb Bush posted:

if they're planning to revisit the schedule again this is probably a really good year to attend your local/state dem conventions, tbh

aside from all the stuff state parties do, that's (generally) how dnc members get elected

Do you just roll up or what?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Mail in voting doesn’t get everyone necessarily voting on the same day, but it means that everyone could have the results at the same time. And that has most of the same effects as same-day voting unless I’m missing something.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gyges posted:

What kind of idiot makes it all the way to AI being able to manipulate videos, and doesn't remember that people can do it by digital hand?

Nah, the AI took it all away.

That's why they have all those extra fingers.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

This is probably my biggest complaint about the NHTSA: their car safety regulations often ignore pedestrians / bicyclists / people in other cars. Car safety tests are all about how well your car protects you from death, not about how well it prevents death in general, so we get a ridiculous car size arms race. When giant SUVs and pick-ups are rated as "safe", it's because our concept of car safety is "kill the other guy".

What is this, the Netherlands????

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Welcome to Curtis Sliwa if this your first time. He’s occasionally the funny kind of dumb and crazy, but he’s also always the bad kind of dumb and crazy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My favorite mini-storyline of NYC politics is that a Republican mayoral candidate promised to kill a cat if he had to make a choice on whether to kill a cat or slow down a MTA train.

After he lost, Curtis Sliwa was the next Republican nominee and he owns 17 cats, was almost unable to vote for himself because he brought one of his cats to the polling station and threatened to fight the poll workers when they wouldn't let him bring the cat inside the booth, and got hit by a taxi.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/nyregion/curtis-sliwa-cat-voting.html

He’s what could generously be called “a character”.

I was on a phone in public and couldn’t watch the video ; I couldn’t even really see the preview image. But it was racialized violence with that loving beret and I knew instantly that we were in Sliwa territory.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm hearing in local news that Biden is getting real confused and it seems if I am hearing this from the local news that are to the left of most american outlets, with examples from the last few days. Then it's not really just fox news propaganda.

poo poo, Trump's gonna win isn't he?

I heard that Trump is gonna win so hard he becomes your new dad.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

volts5000 posted:

I’m always keeping the post-2016 election results in my mind. That right there should be proof enough. But the vibes can be overwhelming. I’m taking my mom to the dentist and all I’ve heard is “Biden is so feeble! Do you see the way he walks! Just like my mom when she had dementia! The report said he didn’t even know what year it was! Makes you wonder who’s really running this country! It’s someone we didn’t even elect!” It sucks because I know there are more people like her who have been mainlining Fox News 24/7. It’s loving depressing.

Did you just say that your vibes are right because they’re the right vibes and you vibe extra hard?

Go for a walk or something.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

How romantic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Can we swap VPs but keep the incumbent? Is that an option? Has that happened before?

Apropos of nothing, I’m 35.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Of course verbal fluency is a measure of cognition and history of gaffs aside, Biden’s presentation over the past four years is concerning. Biden’s (handlers are) smart enough not to come out and state he went 0/5 on delayed recall like Trump did, but it just how Biden acts when he’s speaking extemporaneously is obviously not just “slowing down.”

And the whole stutter thing has never been very convincing to me. This only became an issue during Iowa where he was very clearly struggling to keep it together. The stutter was never a problem when he was burying Paul Ryan on live television. Ot was never mentioned during the other two times he ran for president.

Biden can’t complete sentences later in the day and all of a sudden it’s a stutter.

The mechanism behind stuttering is still a matter of investigation, but it seems to be related strongly with executive function. Which gets weaker with age, stress and how tired you are.

You basically just went “Hey if this is a stutter why is it behaving exactly like a stutter would”.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Not even a little bit.

This is dumb and someone not knowing much about stutters but deciding they can diagnose them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Literally part of the moca.

Certain dementias present with communication deficits early.

Primary progressive aphasia (what Bruce Willis has) presents very early with inability to make or understand speech.

Classic Alzheimer’s presents early on with inability to recall names and other word finding difficulty, due to asymmetric atrohpy of the hippocampi

Vascular dementia (or small vessel disease depending if you’re in neuro or psych) can present in any which way depending on where the infarcts are located. Not uncommon at all to have cognitive deficits.

Speech deficits can be:

Receptive - don’t understand speech
Expressive - can’t make it. This can be due to infarcts anywhere in the brain, or in specific language centers. Sometimes patients can’t make words or sometimes they can’t use the right word.

There are dozens of modifiers for speech patterns when you’re diagnosing communication deficits.

You are MASSIVELY out over your skis, dude.

You just switched from talking about speech fluency to talking about aphasia as if those were directly related topics. There aren't unitary causal mechanisms behind linguistic performance metrics.

I'm sure you're very knowledgable about your own thing, but you don't know neurolinguistics. Hell, I don't know neurolinguistics that well but I at least studied it and this basic day 1 poo poo you're loving up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Well gently caress me id never seen that.

You are also glossing over that there are many distinct kinds of aphasia and most of them aren't caused by general cognitive decline. Speech problems can be a symptom of cognitive decline, yes, but most speech problems aren't. Like how Wernicke's aphasia specifically targets language comprehension and not much else. This is basic linguistics 101 poo poo and why neurolinguistics as a field exists.

Biden's gaffes are textbook stuttering and you just did a big thing because you don't know how stutters work while someone with one (KChama) and someone who actually has studied this a lot (me) were telling you were you wrong and should read.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Increased risk of CVA happening in the future, though long enough out that risk starts to decline.

possible change in the brain parenchyma that can be exacerbated during atrophy that occurs normally secondary to aging.

Increased risk of seizure.

I am clearly talking about symptom presentation in a politician who has had a noticeable decline in language ability and processing speed. I am freely admitting i hadn’t known the stutter was brought up in 2007 and am owning that.

I’ve said nothing about the neuro linguistic etiology of a stutter and have flatly said I am not an ST.

You are conflating me responding to a poster asking if fluency is a part of a cognitive exam (which it is and you as evidenced above and you clearly don’t have experience with) and just giving about other things as if I’m saying Biden has all of those. He does not.

Maybe you and I are taking past one another.

No, you are confounding symptoms (disfluency) with causes. There are tests for cognitive decline that use language as a diagnostic, yes, but there are also many causes of speech performance errors that aren't from general cognitive decline, including most kinds of aphasia. If you want to take this to the linguistics thread, we can. In the interim you are wildly uninformed on the topic.

You admit you don't know what you're talking about. Stop.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

This was the point I was trying to make and if I was not clear I apologize.

Yes, and vision charts are used to diagnose eyesight but there is still a distinction between different kinds of blindness.

It was a very silly and irrelevant point if you know the topic. As I kept saying.

Edit : Sorry if I'm coming off harsh but "Is this guy really disabled, I a person who knows nothing about the topic shall decide" is a SUPER hosed UP thing to do. And I'm not trying to make a big deal but my "I'm not an expert" is "I only took some grad classes on this and helped out in a lab for a couple of years, it wasn't my speciality". This was a very lovely conversation and you should have dropped it earlier.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 10, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

I am inclined to believe he is using a theatrical manner in pointing things out, and the point he is trying to make isn't the literal one. I have family members, also narcissists, who have always done this. I guess it's a little too subtle for some folks to appreciate, but I don't think Trump's statements on magnets come from a deteriorating state of mind.

Then what does he mean by saying that water stops magnets from working?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

As I already mentioned, it has to be evaluated in the context of his umbrage vis-a-vis the well-known reliability issues for a system that is operating on water.

Sure but no matter how theatrical his delivery, that particular phrase is supposed to convey meaning and I’m asking you what it is. Seeing as you are volunteering yourself as someone who speaks narcissist, this seems like an obvious follow-up question.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

are you disputing that Trump does in fact have massive cognitive deficits? Because if you are I have some hydroxychloroquine to sell you

I think I’m getting the argument (please, correct me if not) and it’s not that Trump doesn’t have cognitive deficits, it’s that he doesn’t (necessarily) have cognitive decline because he’s been this dumb for decades.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

cdc posted:

Because Trump is not talking to you, me or anybody in this thread. Yes, he's got major brain worms, but his message is directed at the chuds and rednecks who go "yeah, tractors and poo poo, oorah. USA! USA!".

They understand tractors and poo poo, but magnets? How do they work?

It doesn't make sense to us, but it makes sense to them. And that is all that matters.

Rereading that (and purposely taking it at face value), it’s fun to imagine that the only thing he knows about magnets is they stop working when you put them in a glass of water. He doesn’t know why or how or if a bucket would also stop them, he doesn’t even know what magnets do : but drat it, he knows a glass of water will stop a magnet dead in its tracks.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

I heard there's supposed to be a special election this month to fill the seat vacated by George Santos. How much of a bellweather for the general election in November is it likely to be?

However much you feel like generalizing a particularly bougie part of Long Island, NY.

I’d be more interested in it as a continuation of the general special election trend than anything else.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

zoux posted:

Hmmm I googled RFK Jr and I got a video of him listing encounters with Epstein and Ghislane Maxwell like Bubba Gump listing types of shrimp

Great, now I'm gonna spend the rest of the my day thinking "Grilled pedophilia, stir-fried pedophilia, cumin-maple glazed pedophilia..."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Xombie posted:

Like most vices, banning gambling doesn't actually decrease gambling, it just makes it harder to tax. Legality is not the problem. The problem, as always, is the greed of the leagues (and particularly, the team owners) and broadcasters themselves, who are more than glad to take any amount of dollars to shove sports gambling down the throats of everyone.

Having math education not be absolute poo poo wouldn't hurt either.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Human brains are pretty much physically incapable of understanding probability at an intuitive level. We're just bad at it; our brains are evolved to expect low probability but high magnitude events as disproportionately likely ("what if there is a tiger behind that bush?") and so we are very vulnerable to gambling scams.

It seems to me like just another hollowing out of the commons by capitalism. Any good thing we have, even just the common shared joy of a sports game, capitalism drives to monetize, and we no longer have any other social institutions capable of resisting that pressure.

Yes, there's a reason why probability didn't even get started until the Early Modern period. Human beings are absolutely garbage at estimating it without formal education.

Gambling is basically just a third party tax on people who don't understand math, which is why it's so important to actually teach it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It's a third party tax on the vulnerable. Statistically speaking (in every sense), *nobody* understands math. Training the whole population to a standard of math education where they are resistant to gambling scams is akin to proposing we solve traffic congestion by training everyone to grow wings and flap themselves to work every day.

Not at all. You're massively overestimating how hard it is to teach enough probability to realize gambling is a scam. In terms of pure mathematical knowledge, something like craps is trivially, obviously a bad game unless you're the bank and all you need to know is how to work out the probability of two rolls of a die : something a child can learn in a couple of minutes. These aren't complicated proofs, you can get the idea by just chunking through the odds with normal calculations.

It's unintuitive but not difficult. That's exactly what education is for. We could solve (or at least massively reduce) this with a minor update to the middle school curriculum.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think you are giving people too much credit on how much they choose to retain from what they are taught in school.

I might be wrong, but I don't think people go into gambling because they think it's a rational way to make money. From my experience, it's more like a mix of desperation and thrill-chasing. All gambling games and activities are designed to be highly addictive too.

It'd be wonderful to give the public a better understanding of probability and call it a day, but in the end, to control the really destructive effects of gambling, I think you have to have measures to limit access, limit the marketing that children can see, or at least cap how much people can sink into this stuff every day. I don't see a way around that.

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't think it's quite this simple - there's a pretty far gap psychologically between mathematical expected value and vibes. Its pretty much the X-Com effect where missing on 95% feels worse than it is but winning on 30% feels amazing and knowing doesn't really change that. The Lotto is still a massive money maker even though everybody knows you're losing money on it.

You're just saying that the math is unintuitive but with more words, again. No poo poo, people without sufficient mathematical education don't have enough knowledge of math : you're repackaging a tautology and pretending it's a point.

This isn't an actual argument against the efficacy of education, you're just repeating that it hasn't happened yet.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Look, this is a nice dream, but in practice it doesn't hold up. At best what you're talking about is palliative, partial prevention, not actually addressing the substance of the problem at a societal level.

There's been a lot of studies done of education's ability to prevent people from getting scammed, and it's only partially effective, not least because as the brain ages prior education becomes less effective; there is a reason the elderly are often targeted by scammers, and it's the same reason the elderly fill casinos.

Plus this is ignoring the total destruction and hollowing out of our public education system today. Nobody is even trying to strengthen public education enough for it to function in the manner you're suggesting; rather the political energy is trying to force a collapse so the public system can be replaced by privatized (scammy) alternatives.

Like, perspective: my state established a scholarship program, any high school valedictorian could automatically go to the state university, free ride

There were counties in my state where it took decades for anyone to take advantage of that scholarship. There were plenty of valedictorians. Problem was none of them could break the 800 SAT threshold requirements admission to the state university.

poo poo is *bad*. Pretending we can feasibly do probability education at scale is Pollyannish.

You just tried to move my goalposts which is at least novel. I was bemoaning the lack of education which is how this started, I don't think you can really lay that at the feet of my point now. It was, after all, the basis of my criticism. Further, now I apparently have to stop all scams rather than just ones that are preying on poor knowledge of basic math.

Then you throw your hands up and say that nothing can be done without any evidence.

Do you think that you have some kind of magic math-knower genes that uniquely allow you to understand that a 7 is the most common result on 2 six-sided dice or do you think that is an effect of education? Do you think probability is somehow particularly unintuitive and unlearnable versus things like algebra or geometry? You're being silly because it's hard : well no poo poo, education is hard.

You don't need much knowledge to know gambling is a scam and to be incredibly leery of anyone offering you a bet. Children can do it pretty easily with instruction and demonstration. It would be nice if someone could actually engage with my point rather than just saying "math is hard".

WarpedLichen posted:

I think if that is your criteria for sufficient mathematical education, I'm not sure how you'll ever achieve it. How do you make people understand something at a intuitive level and ignore their gut? There are some things that you can know academically but it still won't feel right in practice.

It would be amazing if you pulled it off though, the rational market that economists love to model with could actually exist.

If you walk a group of 8 year olds through the math of how craps work, I don't think they're ever going to play craps because it's really obvious how stacked it is. If you put that in a larger curriculum, they can generalize.

There is an irony in the bunch of people trusting their tummy-feels about how hard it is to overcome their tummy-feels about probability.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

No, I'm not "moving goalposts": I'm objecting to the assertion that it is possible to provide enough education about probability to Americans to meaningfully reduce their vulnerability to gambling scams, at a societal/ statistical level.

I'm not asking you to propose something that would "stop all gambling ever" or whatever; I think your proposal of more education is akin to trying to stop a drought with a water pistol. It's just inadequate to the point of irrelevance.

There have been lots of studies on this (I'd post links but I'm on my phone); thr human brain is bad at probability and remains bad even when educated. A certain minimal amount of prophylaxis is possible but it doesn't work that well and doesn't hold over time.

The actual solution would be legislation outlawing for-profit gambling businesses, period, or limiting the profit they could accrue to minimal.amounts.. They are definitionally scams and should just be prevented.

Then you're just making blind assertions back at me and there's no conversation to be had. This is just a wordier version of "nuh uh".

PharmerBoy posted:

Ultimately I agree with this, and what other posters have put up- I doubt the vast majority of gamblers are doing it because they think it's a money-positive activity for them.

The point of that post was intended to be "why is this discussion about teaching everyone semi-advanced mathematics when you can teach them day one business functions," but ultimately neither are the solution.

I'm pulling this out in particular because I think it belies the breakdown in communication : probability is not semi-advanced mathematics. It's not. At all. It's in fact very basic mathematics that is underemphasized in current education. It doesn't even need most of the operators. In terms of actual mathematical knowledge it requires far less than many of the things we currently teach and take as standard.

You're both assuming it's more difficult than it actually is, while also assuming that educational goals have to be zero sum and this comes at an expense.

Here is my whole argument :

1) basic probability, while unintuitive, is not particularly difficult to teach
2) we currently do not teach it much, if at all. It's going to be in just about any math textbook, but it's not emphasized or integrated into other parts of the curriculum.
3) I'm positing that increasing education in probability would decrease gambling (or at least the harm from people instead doing it at lower stakes), if nothing else than because people might understand why it's called the Gambler's Fallacy

If you (general you, not Pharmerboy in particular) would like to argue against this, I welcome it. So far, no one actually has. I just keep getting variations of "math is unintuitive", "the US education system is bad" or "this will not entirely solve the problem by itself". None of those actually refute my claim and two of them are in fact my own argument back at me.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

on another note, where's your av from?

It's Macarena Gomez from Stuart Gordon's Dagon. I got it for watching an insane amount of horror movies in a month as part of the October Challenge over in CineD. If you like horror movies, or feel like you might, I can't recommend it enough : you set a little goal for yourself to watch an amount of horror movies in the month of October (which can be small!) and post little mini-reviews as you get along. It's super fun and welcome to both the most hardcore of gorehounds or someone who has never seen a Friday the 13th.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

You can research this yourself with a quick Google or I can post links later tonight. Math education simply does not prevent gambling behavior in the fashion you are proposing. People remain irrational even when educated.

Like, the behavioral economics people have studied this stuff. There is data.

I'm not talking about nebulous math education, and am in fact proposing a specific concrete, novel change to math curricula. If you have relevant studies, I welcome them but I want to emphasize the word "relevant" there.

I'm not asking for students to become perfect rational actors and I'm getting increasingly annoyed at having to explain that. Please address my actual points instead of making up a strawman, it's tiresome.

PharmerBoy posted:

I'm not going to get super involved in continuing either, mostly because I'm not invested enough to track down the kinds of evidence you're requesting. I only want to note the anecdote (which I bring up because it amuses me, not because I think its representative of anything) that way back in high school my math class did go into probability. If we finished stuff early, our teacher would let us play cards. She would join, and proceed to talk through the probability of us having the cards to beat her (answer: not high enough), which was some excellent sneaky teaching in hindsight.

This is actually not that far from what I'm suggesting, but dice games have much easier calculations. Not because cards are harder, there's just more of them so it's more tedious.

The skills of being able to calculate odds are quite trivial : there's the unintuitive step of needing to stop and calculate rather than going off of instinct, and then there's the tedium of actually calculating it. The former can be taught easily and in an engaging manner by analyzing games (a thing that kids are actually happy to do!), and the latter is essentially free so long as you're attaching this to a functioning math class. (Note : the fact that most students don't have a functioning math class is a larger problem hence why I'm talking about reforming it.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

You keep overstating my case dramatically; nobody except you is talking about "perfect rational actors"

Past that, ok, literally a three second google found this:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7241280_Does_learning_about_mathematics_of_gambling_change_gambling_behavior

Your proposal is not novel: it has been studied and disproven. (This isn't the only study on point; the topic is also covered somewhere in Ariely's books but he's the subject of a replication scandal right now so I'd need to sit down and actually do a fair bit of work to provide reliable sources past google)Google.

Do you have any specific, relevant data showing gambling education would help reduce gambling incidence?

That isn't my proposal. This is a self-selected group of university level students in a statistics class vs. a control group of other university students. By virtue of already being in university they're long, long since beyond the relevant level. I'm talking about increasing math education for middle schoolers.

This shows that there's not an increase beyond a certain ceiling, not that that it can't lift the floor. I'm specifically talking about the floor.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Is there proof that there's some subset of people who are not aware that, in general, gamblers lose their money?

I think pretty much everyone knows heroin is bad for your health, gambling is bad for your budget, using your phone all day is bad for your productivity. People do these things *anyway*, not because they don't understand that what they're doing is going to impact them negatively.

Everyone knows that getting into car accidents is bad for your health, and yet educational campaigns about wearing seatbelts are immensely effective.

Lemming posted:

I'm a little confused, why are you proposing specific concrete, novel changes to math curricula if you *don't* have any relevant studies proving they would actually help? Like, not to say that everything needs to be absolutely proven to the n'th degree, but it feels like this is the kind of thing that a priori seems like it could help, and then after checking it out it just doesn't align with the initial assumptions.

I'm unaware of anyone actually trying the kinds of hands-on fundamentals-first education I'm proposing on a mass scale. Math education in the US has historically been rote learning with minimal effort at actually explaining what's going on besides ability at computation. If someone has, I'd love to read it.

I suspect studies of college students will be the best available data obtainable on this question, given the ethical restrictions on studies involving children.

That doesn't make them magically more relevant, however.

Also I've done research on kids, it's not that hard. Once you're already going through an IRB it's already going to be a huge pain in the rear end.

This would be a better design for answering the questions being asked in this thread, and it would get past an Internal Review Board:

1. Randomly assign hundreds of students to anti-gambling education or control group.

2. Check back in 5, 10, 20, 30 years later and measure how often they gamble/impact.of gambling behavior on their lives.

This kind of longitudinal work is the only way to measure programs like DARE and what Xiahou Dun is proposing is basically DARE but with gambling instead of drugs.

Do kindly gently caress off with telling me what my own argument is. You clearly don't understand it if you think I mean math-DARE.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Woah, I wasn't trying to upset you and I'm sincerely sorry I did. This is just policy talk, let's chill out.

It sounded to me like you were proposing something very similar to DARE - a program aimed at young students to communicate the plain dangers of addictive and self-destructive behaviors that we know will be advertised them as they get older.

The best way to measure the effectiveness of such a program would be a longitudinal study like what's been conducted for DARE, sex-ed programs, and other interventions aimed at helping students avoid dangers that they're going to encounter as they get older.

Sorry, I'm getting frustrated by people responding to made up versions of my proposal.

I'm talking about making changes in the actual math curriculum, not a dumb little band-aid PSA.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

As I went over above, this is because a proposal that relies on massively improving grade level math education in the US is just unfeasible. The American public education system is collapsing as we speak from political attacks; this sort of proposal in thr current political environment is just wishful thinking.

Makes them the most relevant data in the thread, tho.

More to the point, the cited study contained a control group of students who were not in any college level math classes at all. If there is no difference between students who have received the maximum in statistical education, and students who have received nothing beyond the inadequate math education provided by the current pre-college system . . .why would your proposal make any difference?

Your proposal.seems.either untestable (we simply can't reform grade level education at that scale) or to the extent it is testable, already disproven (as college students receiving a maximum amount of statistical education exhibit no difference in gambling behavior from a control group not receiving that maximum).

If you have better data feel free to share but considering all the grandstanding up thread and demands for proof, what do you have to show that's stronger or equal than what I've provided so far? I call.

You've changed the argument from "doesn't work" to "can't be implemented currently".

I'm done with this because you can't actually engage with my argument.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bifner McDoogle posted:

The issue is that you are arguing for Gambling Abuse Preparation in Education, but in reality the only way that is better than DARE is the acronym.

No I’m talking about improving the math curriculum but I’m not expressing myself well/fast enough to deal with half a dozen people arguing things I never said.

Yes, the stupid thing I never suggested wouldn’t work ; you beat up that strawman real good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

One of the few politicians actually older than Biden.