Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

I’d love to hear the full train of thought spelled out. Like, I can kind of get how she imagined the presidency thing working out, because “I’m going to be the independent maverick that gets in because I just talk so much sense and am so obviously right, and people will like that I’m not beholden to either party” isn’t exactly an uncommon delusion. But where did she see “loudly renege in my campaign promises and espoused principles” being something that worked for her prior supporters.

It's not like she woke up in 2020 and said "I'm going to be a conservative now" all of a sudden. She's been trending rightward ever since she decided to run for the House back in 2012. It was apparently not that surprising to Arizona politics watchers at the time, who generally seemed to regard the seat she was running for as a competitive purple district with plenty of conservative-leaning voters. She joined the Blue Dog Coalition and all the other ultra-moderate Dem groups by 2014, and she's been known as a conservative Dem ever since, winning reelection multiple times and then winning election to the Senate despite that increasingly conservative record. So it's not like it's some super huge shock to the voters that she was in Congress as a centrist.

She didn't get burned for being too politically moderate, she got burned for openly defying the president and the party. And she likely did that because she thought it would raise her profile for a future presidential race. You don't get to be nationally known as a "maverick" just for being a conservative who votes with the other party a lot - you have to be actively obstructionist, preferably on something of high national prominence. That led to stuff like her not having a coherent list of demands, because she was blocking things simply to get headlines rather than because she objected to anything in the bills themselves. But she badly misjudged the moment and the political atmosphere, and was too obviously faking it for clout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Staluigi posted:

My own magical sinema journey was pretty much the same process.

the more firsthand accounts we got, especially detailing how she responded to pushback and doubled down on asinine bullshit no matter what internal counsel was against it, the more it eliminated the plausibility of any answer that wasn't "she is a giant moron"

sinecure is her runner-up fallback trophy that's all she's got left to take to the bank. it's what she can get after loving up every advancement or political furtherance, it wasn't a preplanned choice or a master strategy, it's the political class consolation prize, and its weird that people still think that this was all an initial goal outcome of hers

the one question I don't think has been answered to a satisfactory degree is what the process was that eroded her down to "just a moron" like was it some m night shyamalan thing where you had an ego feedback loop combined with growing too prominent and powerful to have to debase yourself to expert counsel and advice by your campaign staff and you start doing it "ur own way" with "ur uncorrupted vision" and it turns out to be ugly bad and erases your whole viable legacy

Everyone knows she started out super left, but what doesn't get so much attention is that every time she encountered a political obstacle or wanted to move up a rung on the political ladder, "moving to the right" was the strategy that consistently helped her overcome those challenges. Moderate compromise worked pretty well to bring her success in Arizona state politics, but she failed to understand its limitations and she failed to understand how national politics were changing under Trump.

Kchama posted:

The fact that Sinema was so happy pissing off her base by deliberately betraying them by working against everything she promised to work towards as a candidate is why I think she's just dumb as bricks and doesn't get that this is not going to help her.

Eh, her voters had a decent idea of what they were getting with her. All her old leftist rhetoric was long gone by the time she set her sights on Congress. By 2018, she was pretty much openly campaigning on her willingness to defy Democratic leadership and show how independent and unconcerned with partisan politics she was.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

OK but I did read that they had actually implanted the first one into a human, and given how badly they hosed up the animal trials resulting in a bunch of monkeys and pigs getting brain damage and having to be euthanized because they couldn't be bothered to check if the implant was the right size maybe there should be a LOT of scrutiny here. Especially when other companies are using much less dangerous methods of implantation.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/01/elon-musks-neuralink-puts-brain-chip-in-first-human-amid-federal-scrutiny/
Ok admittedly it says "Elon Musk claims" so take it with a lake of salt

There was a lot of scrutiny. Musk has been trying to get Neuralink approved for human trials for literally years - the same leaks that told us about the maimed monkeys also told us that the FDA had denied them approval in 2022 and cited dozens of issues they would need to fix before they could get approval for human trials.

The fact that they have approval now means that they've convinced the FDA that they've fixed all of those issues and brought their operations in line with the FDA's expectations. Additionally, they only have approval for limited safety testing, subject to the constraints of an independent review board.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's not even the real statue. The actual statue is in the US Capitol Rotunda. New York just got the plaster model that was used as the model for the final statue.

In any case, while it rarely catches the attention of the press or politicians, there's another reason for moving the statue - its location in a heavily-used room made it prone to damage, which was noted when it underwent restoration in 2010. Plaster statues are relatively vulnerable to physical damage, compared to the real bronze statue. Sending it to the New York Historical Society would allow it to be protected and conserved properly.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Yeah. I'm not quite sure why it started going viral again recently, but I have seen various tweets like the one shared in this thread about it all this week.

It's an election year, Trump's court cases are going very poorly, and New Hampshire suggests Trump's lead is a lot weaker than expected. The chudosphere has any number of reasons to want to get the base worked up about something relatively unimportant.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Maybe one day we can get a legit secure online voting system and just do em all the same day or have a random generated sequence. That would require both funding and laws passed so instead we will watch most of the voting power go towards empty acreage, honestly probably as at least some of the founding father wanted.

Having all the primaries on the same day isn't necessarily desirable. It gives a massive advantage to the candidates who start the primary cycle with the most fame and money, since campaigning across the entire country all at once is incredibly resource-intensive.

While fame and money are still important no matter how you do things, starting off with a few smaller states massively lowers the barrier to entry in order to be seen as a serious contender. Somebody who doesn't have the money or staff to campaign nationally might still be able to do well in a few states by focusing their limited resources on those states. Moreover, it gives a chance for people and donors to see which candidates are overperforming or underperforming expectations. Overperformers can raise their profile and attract more donors and staffers, while underperformers will lose support and eventually drop out, freeing up their donors and staffers to work for the candidates who've demonstrated themselves to be stronger. That's probably better for the state of the race overall, and the states that go later aren't really going to shed any tears that they never got the chance to vote against Bloomberg.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Low-wage work fundamentally sucks to begin with. Not only is the pay poor, but the working conditions are often terrible. People generally work them because they don't have a better choice. So we don't really need a fancy explanation for why people don't want to work low-wage jobs - we need to explain why they're able to avoid working low-wage jobs.

For the most part, the workers aren't missing. They didn't die off or stop working. While the low-wage labor shortage is still hotly debated, the general cause seems to be that the social and economic changes caused by COVID opened up new opportunities for low-wage workers, giving many of them chances to move up to better-paying jobs.

In particular, two factors come up a lot. First, many older workers saw the disruptions of the pandemic as a reason to retire, accelerating the impact of the aging workforce and creating many vacancies in higher-level jobs those senior employees were vacating. Second, expanded federal benefits gave workers the resources to pursue better options and even risk losing their current job to pursue those options, and those who were furloughed during the lockdowns had plenty of time as well.

All this allowed a significant chunk of low-wage workers to find better jobs, leaving a smaller labor pool for low-wage employers.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gnumonic posted:

I think Biden is making a huge mistake based on past data that shows that foreign policy/national security doesn't drive votes either way. Open support for blatant genocide forces us to confront the question of who we are in a very direct way that other foreign policy issues don't. If genocide (as we're all taught in elementary school) is the most heinous and repugnant crime there is, and we are openly supporting genocide, what does that say about us as a country? Some people aren't going to be able to stomach the blatant contradiction that arises when the "lesser of two evils" guy is actively supporting the most evil crime that can be committed. At any rate, it's definitely not likely to increase turnout, and I'm extremely skeptical that there are a sufficient number of "median democrats" willing to overlook this to push Biden over the finish line.

Current data, right now, shows that foreign policy doesn't drive votes right now in the 2024 election. There are definitely times where foreign policy is an important factor in the election, but every available bit of data shows that the primary issues for most people in 2024 are "the economy/inflation", "immigration", and never Trump protecting democracy".

If "open support for blatant genocide" was as politically impactful as you say, then was US support for the Saudi genocide in Yemen a deciding factor in your vote? As brutal as the current Israeli campaign in Gaza has been, the bodycount there is only about a tenth of what's been inflicted against Yemen. Had you even heard about it today? Clearly the US population doesn't care that much about the US supporting its allies as they slaughter hundreds of thousands of people in brutal, near-indiscriminate military campaigns conducted in the name of destroying hostile terrorist factions. Apparently, the word "genocide" isn't enough by itself to dominate American politics, and people are able to stomach (or ignore) genocides just fine. The even-bloodier Syrian civil war has been pretty much forgotten too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

What does the House GOP have against Andy Milonakis again?

Homeland Security runs CBP and the Border Patrol. They're mainly just trying to make him a human sacrifice to their base's anger about immigration, so they can look like they're doing something but don't have to go through the trouble of coming up with actual policies themselves. The right-wing media has portrayed him as a fanatical open-borders ideologue who hates the very idea of border enforcement and is deliberately sabotaging the border agencies by abusing humanitarian exceptions and refusing to support the troops.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nosre posted:

I had an acquaintance bring up "crazy down there, there's 10 thousand people arriving every day!" in passing. I didn't engage, because when people say stuff like that I assume it's like how Caravans!!! suddenly spike in news reports like clockwork before every election.

What are the real figures involved?

These CBP figures DO show a huge spike, and if that 2024 "BP Total Encounters" rate continues it does appear it would blow all past figures out of the water. Is this what people are looking at? https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/cbp-enforcement-statistics

There really has been a large spike in arrivals at the border under Biden, to the point that the immigration bureaucracy (which was already pretty backlogged) and related systems and services have been largely overwhelmed. While views on what exactly the problem is and how to solve it tend to vary based on political perspective, the problem is real - it's not made up like the caravan stuff was.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

One thing that I wish we could follow up on is why 18-29 year olds and black voters who identify as moderate are turned off by Biden, but left-wing 18-29 year olds and black voters are much less so. It is always kind of assumed that the dissatisfaction was coming from the more left-wing populations of those groups.

This could be an issue of definition too.

i.e. the old problem where people with hugely extreme views, but a few of them are on the left and a few are on the right ("I want to nationalize the pharmaceutical industry and build the wall.") consider themselves moderate rather than the "traditional" idea of what a moderate is and get mixed together with other "moderates" who actually have hugely different views.

Inflation, inflation, inflation. As they say, "it's the economy, stupid".

In my experience, only left-wing people that hate Biden assume that the dissatisfaction is primarily coming from the left. Actual polling has pretty consistently demonstrated that Biden's bigger problem is with people who don't give a gently caress about culture war issues either way but are real mad about how much grocery prices have risen.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

Has anyone done any studies/polls on whether inflation has hit certain racial groups harder than others? Given the socioeconomic differences that are tied to race, I wouldn't be surprised if inflation is hitting Biden's approval harder with respect to Hispanic and Black voters.

Generally it's been hitting non-white groups less bad, mainly because the largest wage increases were in the lowest-wage industries. While the professional class saw significant decreases in real income, a lot of low-wage workers saw much smaller drops (though, of course, they can also afford to lose a lot less).

Personally, I think the issue is just that someone who still self-identifies as a moderate these days just doesn't have a ton of strong stances on political issues - leaving them free to switch back and forth based on vibes and economic perception without getting tripped up by things like "caring what the candidates' actual issue positions are".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Doesn't grocery prices come down to the issue that the food industry raised prices because COVID and then realized they don't have to lower them back down

Also, I really want to meet the person who is pro-nationalize pharmaceuticals and also pro-wall

Not particularly. There's been a bunch of supply shocks in the food industry in recent years. Not only did the pandemic completely upend food supply chains more than once, but one of the world's biggest grain exporters got invaded, bird flu swept through chicken populations, and high energy costs have affected food supply chains as well. And that's just the stuff that I, a layman not involved in food industries, know off the top of my head.

It's certainly true that those increased prices have been a bit sticky, but the global economy in general still hasn't really completely stabilized from all that stuff either, so it's only natural that companies wouldn't be in any hurry to cut prices.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sephyr posted:

The fact that O'Keefe was caught red-handed trying to wiretap a sitting Congressperson and the official response was "lol, that scamp, I mean who hasn't, rite?" is just one of those distopia markers that would seem heavy-handed in a comic book.

The local US Attorney was friends with the dad of one of O'Keefe's accomplices. Said attorney recused himself from the case, but didn't recuse his office from the case, so his assistant prosecuted the case for him.

Although O'Keefe got off pretty easy with a generous plea deal that allowed him to avoid jail, he never forgave that attorney and continued to harass him for years afterward.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

There are obviously parallels to real world issues and there are attempts to address it but it's also very clearly a comic book universe in which there are just really bad people that need to be stopped by superheroes. It's an absurd reading of the comics to hold Bruce Wayne/Batman to the same moral calculus as if the comic book universe he resides in is exactly the same as our own. It's silly.

That's not really right. After all, the comic book universe was crafted the way it is specifically to justify Batman cavorting around in bat pajamas. Supervillains exist in large part to avoid having to tackle those awkward social questions. After all, if superheroes were running rampant in society, combining their superpowers with their selflessness and their willingness to defy the system to do what's right, then they would have a chance at actually changing society and the world in some meaningful sense. But superhero comics don't want to get change too much of the real-world status quo, and for the most part they don't really want to spend their time confronting social and economic issues. As such, it didn't take long for comics writers to realize that they needed something to separate the superheroes from the world and give them excuses to avoid spending too much time dealing with real-world questions. It's not that superheroes exist to stop supervillains, it's that supervillains exist to stop superheroes. The hero always wins in the end, but the supervillain so completely occupies the hero's attentions and energies that the hero has a decent excuse for not dealing with anything else.

Here's what Superman did in his very first adventure, Action Comics #1, before he had any supervillains to fight:
  • Broke into the governor's mansion to demand that the governor cancels the execution of a falsely-convicted death row inmate
  • Breaking into the home of a guy beating his wife, and knocking him out
  • Saving Lois Lane from a mobster who tried to kidnap her for rejecting him
  • Catching a lobbyist bribing a senator into hawkish policies, kidnapping the lobbyist, and terrifying him into confessing that he's working for a wealthy arms dealer

And that's just the first issue! In other very early Superman stories, he does things like confront a mine owner over unsafe working conditions in his mines, trying to pressure the government into rebuilding crappy decaying slums, exposing horrible conditions in prisons, and investigating banks that are tricking people into pouring their life's savings into worthless investments. Originally, "Clark Kent" wasn't just something Superman did when he wasn't Supermanning - Clark would use his journalistic resources and connections to get tips about lovely or scandalous things happening, and then go fix them as Superman. Later on, they started introducing supervillains instead, and before long Superman was a guy who fought cartoon villains and natural disasters, rather than a guy who fought against real social and economic injustice.

Yeah, it's true that superhero comics probably couldn't exist in their current form as century-long multimedia brands with a shared universe passed around between countless writers if they didn't work that way. But that just makes it an excellent example of how the demands of capitalism and other entrenched social forces will naturally push fiction away from being able to really challenge the system we live in now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

At this point he knows he's in the clear and just flaunting it

Nah, the tweeter is cutting off part of what he said. What he actually said is that it wasn't an insurrection, but if it was an insurrection then it was caused by Nancy Pelosi, because he said only peaceful and patriotic and nice things, and nobody brought any guns except for the Capitol Police who shot the peaceful protesters, and if any violence happened it was entirely the fault of all those violent and vicious Democrats who riled up the crowds with their mob boss behavior, and so on and on and on and on.

I was originally going to get snippy about reporters cutting poo poo out of context for soundbites, but the context is huge because he was basically just rambling aimlessly. Not bringing his best game, that's for sure.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Nobody is going to remember this specific press conference in a few weeks, no. Assuming it's an isolated event, anyway. If this kind of thing is going to be a trend, we're in trouble: polling suggests voters are fairly concerned about Biden's age and his fitness to serve, and if this kind of thing becomes a regular feature of the campaign trail then he's probably not going to come off great.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sounds like they got the same reporting that was immediately posted here and repeated it because people love catastrophising about Trump

Meanwhile, Barack Obama thinks there are 57 states, can’t spell « advice », and thinks austrian is a language. Everyone remembers when that torpedoed him right?

People weren't telling pollsters that their number one concern about Obama was his age. Biden's opponents have been slinging senility accusations against him for years, and not just from the right either. Between that and his considerable age, he's far more vulnerable to these sorts of attacks.

That doesn't necessarily mean they'll sink him, of course. I still fondly remember how many Bernie supporters dismissed Joe Biden leading the polls, because they were convinced he was a senile sundowning mess who would totally lose all support the moment a camera caught sight of him after sunset. But on the other hand, it's not good to be outright dismissive of the possibility.

The most important lesson of the last eight years is that Americans - including us right here on SA - are terrible at predicting the outcomes of elections, and that very unlikely-seeming outcomes can in fact happen.

Bellmaker posted:

Dobbs is far worse for Republicans than COVID ever was, and this has been reflected in every election since 2022.

You'd think so, but polls surprisingly haven't really been showing that. According to the pollsters, people's top three most important political issues in the election are inflation, immigration, and protecting democracy. In spite of Dobbs, abortion apparently ranks fairly low on people's political priorities.

Scags McDouglas posted:

I know it's a fool's errand to gaze into the abyssal mind of the average Trump voter but I'm failing to imagine him growing his voter base further. Granted, he did so from '16 to '20 but I see that as a high watermark that he could, at best achieve a second time.

In terms of the election becoming a disaster it seems more plausible to me that Biden simply loses voters to apathy. But for the life of me I can't imagine someone not voting for him in '20 and warming up to the idea in '24.

Among the people who somehow don't have a strong preference for either Trump or Biden after the last eight years, indications are that the "Biden is old" and "the Democrats are engaging in politically-motivated prosecutions of Trump" stuff is actually landing to some extent.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Anno posted:

For me it's hard to form much of an opinion at all when on one hand you have polling that frequently has crosstabs suggesting, like, generational voter realignment in traditionally D-voting groups towards R, but then special elections happen and D candidates often outperform and don't really show any of that. Like I get November will be it's own thing but so far it's difficult to match all this up with the actual hard results we've had in recent months/years.

Midterms and special elections often have different voting patterns from presidential elections. First, the presidential election is much bigger news and draws out a lot of less-engaged voters who wouldn't have turned out for the midterms, let alone the special elections. Second, people's personal opinions of the presidential candidates themselves tends to have more of an impact on the overall national result,

Also, people are worried because everyone thought there was no way Trump was going to win in 2016, and polling largely suggested Trump was going to lose in 2016, and then look what happened.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that politics in the US have gotten to be such an unprecedented chaotic mess that no one is capable of predicting them reliably, and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves. Predicting the outcome of one election based on the outcome of past elections is rather foolhardy in our rapidly-changing political conditions. The polls probably aren't anywhere close to accurate either, but the fact that they're not showing a massive voter rejection of Trump suggests that we can't simply write Trump off.

Is Trump doomed in 2024? Is Biden doomed in 2024? The honest answer is that we really don't know. Both candidates have all sorts of bad poo poo about them that voters seem to think might be important, but there's really no telling how that'll all shake out.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Well gently caress me id never seen that.

It's because nobody really cared about his stutter until the "Biden is too old" stuff started to rear his head. When he was younger, it was all about "gaffe machine Biden", no one really gave a poo poo about the stutter specifically.

However, most voters don't know enough about him to know he has a stutter, nor do they know enough about stutters to know that stuttering can cause things like that.

It doesn't really matter what he said at this press conference, it's not going to hurt him. It's February, nobody's paying attention. But if he does a Mexico/Egypt mixup on camera in October, that's gonna be big trouble.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

If you click through and look at what she actually says, the only takeaway from this article is that she still hasn't learned to talk to reporters without providing them stuff they can clip out of context to stir people up with misleading soundbites.

quote:

Clinton, the former first lady and secretary of state told Wagner that she’s spoken to people in the White House and “they know it’s an issue.”

“I talked to people in the White House all the time, and you know, they know it’s an issue, but as I like to say, look, it’s a legitimate issue,” Clinton told Wagner. “It’s a legitimate issue for Trump who’s only three years younger. So, it’s an issue.”

She added, “I think Biden also should lean into the fact that he’s experienced and that experience is not just in the political arena. It’s like, the stuff of, you know, human experience,” she said. “I think he should be willing to really pull that out … and I think he should care more about it.”

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cimber posted:

When was the last time the election _wasn't_ the Most Important Election in the History of Democracy (tm, all rights reserved)

National elections are, by nature, always going to be important. There's never going to be a year where no one will be hurt by the worse guy becoming president.

Senate Cum Dump posted:

Number of drone strikes is hardly the only or most important metric for judging a president's foreign policy. I would point instead towards Biden's saber-rattling toward China and Russia--quite a bit more than saber rattling you could argue, but ratcheting up tensions in general. Also, y'know, the genocide in Gaza. There's no guarantee that Trump would be all that much better but given his interest in making "deals" I think he might be more open to sending Jared Kushner to work with the Saudis and pressure Netanyahu into a ceasefire.

I'm not advocating anyone vote for Trump. There's a difference between not voting for Biden and actively voting for Trump. However, I think having a disinterested isolationist clown in charge might be better than a China hawk and rabid Zionist, at least for foreign policy.

He sent Kushner to go work with the Saudis to come up with an Israel/Palestine deal back during his first term, and the results were laughable. It was the worst deal offered to Palestinians in the last few decades. Instead of pressing for the Israelis to make concessions in return for Palestinian concessions, he basically just tried to straight-up bribe the Palestinians into accepting Israel's demands in return for basically jack poo poo. Turns out Mr. Art Of The Deal sucks at dealmaking!

You're making a very important mistake here: Trump is not an isolationist! He loves hawkish policies and war, he just wants to target different countries than the rest of the US political class does. He engaged in a bunch of brinksmanship and threats against China, and he loved bombing Middle Eastern terrorists. His Israel/Palestine peace plan demanded the removal of Hamas from political power, as well as their complete disarmament. He didn't want to fight against Russia, but that doesn't mean he's an isolationist.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gyges posted:

Why does he hate China so much anyway? I thought they gave Team Trump a shitload of trademarks and poo poo which should have made them A+ good people for giving him stuff for free.

He's big on trade war, and the US imports a bunch of stuff from China. He wanted to renegotiate all US trade agreements to make them more favorable to the US, but he doesn't actually understand the concept of negotiation, so he'd just blindly demand better conditions for nothing in return, and then if that didn't work he'd start spouting threats and engaging in brinksmanship.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

theCalamity posted:

I wouldn't call someone who supports Israel as they are running what could be considered a genocidal campaign in Gaza to be somewhat reasonable.

I want to stress that your post:

is incredibly ignorant and inconsiderate. There are many Arab and Muslim Americans in Michigan that are directly affected by the genocidal campaign in Gaza as we speak. Their friends and families in Gaza are being displaced, maimed, and killed. They want Biden to call for a ceasefire, but he refuses to, so they are saying that they won't vote for him in November. You are saying that they should feel very, very bad about themselves because they refuse to vote for Biden who continues to support Israel while they continue their genocidal campaign in Gaza.

Every US president and major-party presidential candidate in the past fifty years has supported a genocidal campaign in Palestine. If anyone had given a poo poo about that in 2022, 2020, 2018, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, or 1998 (the failure of Oslo is a fair place to start drawing the line to today's events), both America's relationship with Israel and Israel's relationship with Palestine would be very different today.

Honestly, the most frustrating thing for me, as someone who didn't just suddenly start caring about Gaza five months ago, is how many people seem absolutely convinced that getting a ceasefire would put an end to the genocide. Bullshit! The genocide was ongoing long before Israel started assaulting Gaza, and it'll keep going long after Israel puts their assault on pause...which, by the way, will almost certainly happen before November regardless of what Biden does. It'll be difficult for Israel to sustain a mobilization of this size for an entire year, as between conscription and displacements, a substantial chunk of their workforce has been rendered unavailable.

Before you bring up Arab-Americans again, I don't really care what they do. People can make their own decisions about what they care about. If the events in Gaza have someone pissed off enough that they're not going to vote against a guy who's probably going to put out shoot-on-sight orders at the southern border and make it illegal to be openly trans, well, that just goes to show who they care about and who they don't. I hope they'll be able to live with themselves. They don't need to justify those decisions in this thread...unless they post those decisions in this thread, in which case they should expect to be argued with! I'm tired of seeing the "I won't vote for Biden", "You should vote for Biden", "Are you telling those poor Arab-Americans in Michigan to vote for Biden, you cruel monster????" sequence endlessly repeat itself. If an Arab-American who lost family in Gaza posts in this thread that they don't want to vote for Biden, we can debate whether they're morally obligated to do so then. Until then, I'm getting a real bad taste in my mouth seeing them being constantly thrown around in this thread like debate props.

Kith posted:

it would be nice if biden did anything to earn my vote outside of "not being trump"

He actually did a bunch of historically unprecedented progressive poo poo, the kind of stuff people would have thought was a pipe dream back in 2008. But none of that stuff goes viral on Twitter, so no one knows about it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Of course, this applies to you, too: By voting for Biden, you are showing you you care about and who you don't - and they are a price you are willing to pay. Which is fine, but it's silly how people get offended at Muslims when that same standard is being used against us!

Notice the tricky: "Only Arabs or Muslims who directly lost relatives can have a beef about this," which is insane if you've ever lived in a Muslim community. Back when I lived in Alabama and taught at an Islamic school, we had Palestinian refugees. When I moved to the middle east, I've had Palestinian and Yemeni refugee students. Our Palestinian national studies teacher lost almost twenty members of her family in a week.

But, of course, it's weird to care about these lives unless you are so directly affected that your family is the one that died. The people in Michigan are just bizarre and have strange cares, why can't they treat foreigners like numbers in an excel sheet like the rest of us do?

Not really, no, because Trump is going to do absolutely nothing to stop the genocide in Palestine. I don't particularly care to throw every single minority group in America under the bus for a meaningless protest vote that will also do nothing to help Palestinians. Giving in to self-delusion isn't going to save lives!

I'm not saying "Only Arabs or Muslims who directly lost relatives can have a beef about this". I'm saying "defend your own voting choices yourself, stop trying to hide behind Arab-Americans in Michigan". If someone says "Arab-Americans in Michigan should vote for Biden", we can talk about the things that might be impacting their voting decision. When someone says "you, poster in this thread, should vote for Biden", hearing them respond with "are you telling Arab-Americans in Michigan to vote for Biden?" is very tiresome. If Arab-Americans in Michigan don't want to vote for Biden because their families have been endangered, that's their choice - not our choice.

I also like how you've completely ignored the fact that the genocide didn't start in October 2023 and won't end when a ceasefire happens. Agitating for a ceasefire for humanitarian reasons is one thing, but don't pretend it'll end the genocide in Gaza. Trump and Obama both supported the genocide in Gaza, along with almost every member of Congress in the last few decades, and all of a sudden it's becoming a dealbreaker in only this one particular election? I'm deeply worried that people on the left are going to use Gaza as an excuse to help get Trump back into office, and then go back to not caring about Gaza at all, secure in the knowledge that they managed to find themselves an excuse to not vote for Biden despite the fact that he's responded to most of their domestic policy demands. It's nice that supporting genocides has suddenly become a dealbreaker among people who've happily voted for pro-genocide presidents and members of Congress in the past, but I can't help but notice how often it's coming from people who've hated Biden since 2019 and have consistently taken every excuse they can find to advocate opposing him. It's not exactly persuasive when someone with a NoJoe 2020 tag suggests that an event that happened in 2023 is the reason they can't possibly justify voting for Biden. I'm rather concerned that all the leftists who suddenly discovered a deep concern about Gaza a few months ago are going to express that concern solely through leaving the "President" slot on their ballot blank, pat themselves on the back for doing their part to stop genocide, and then forget all about Palestine and go back to ranting about student loans or railroad unions or something. Overturning the overwhelming American political consensus in favor of Israel is a large undertaking that'll probably take several Congressional election cycles (because the true root of it is in Congress, not in the presidency!).

JoylessJester posted:

Could of just posted this and saved yourself a lot of time.

Edit: This was incredibly glib.

It's just so incredibly frustrating to be scolded at every election to vote for the lesser of two evils. "How many more of these stinking, double-downer sideshows will we have to go through before we can get ourselves straight enough to put together some kind of national election that will give me and the at least 20 million people I tend to agree with a chance to vote FOR something, instead of always being faced with that old familiar choice between the lesser of two evils"

It would be cool if the democrats could take their own 'most important election ever' talk seriously and stop running off putting ghouls (Clinton, Biden) who seem to just resent minorities but feel entitled to their votes.

Every presidential election in your entire life is going to involve voting for the lesser of two evils, unless we end first-past-the-post voting. Condensing the entirety of politics down into two candidates means that most people will never be able to vote for a general-election candidate whose positions completely match all of their own on every single issue. You're just going to have to suck it up and vote for the person who agrees with you on more issues than the other guy does. If you're not happy with that, then either push for the end of FPTP voting (good luck with that), or start persuading large chunks of America to share your views (the more people strongly agree with you on any given issue, the more likely it is that you'll get at least one presidential candidate who shares that view). Till then, if you actually give even the slightest actual poo poo about the evils that would result, go out and vote for the lesser evi.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you vote for Joe Biden, that is also a pro-genocide vote. Neither of those two candidates are anti-genocide. Like, vote for him if you want but let’s be real here.

I can't think of the last time the US had an anti-genocide president. Trump certainly wasn't one, and Obama did plenty to soak his hands in blood directly and indirectly too. The Clinton administration's long been panned for its insistence that "acts of genocide" happening in Rwanda didn't mean that a "genocide" was happening there. HW Bush was the former head of the CIA. Reagan heavily backed the Guatemalan genocide, and probably others as well. And so on. If you've ever voted in a US presidential election, you've voted for genocide. Bit late to start pretending you can have clean hands now, ain't it?

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I feel like one core thing on why these arguments go in circles is that both sides are viewing the opposite viewpoint as an existential threat

The reason why they go in circles forever is that they're basically the trolley problem, a well-known ethical thought experiment that famously does not have a clear solution. The trolley named America is barreling down a track toward hurting a fuckton of people. Will you pull the lever to vote for Biden and redirect the trolley to another track which will hurt a lot fewer people, or do you think that this would make you morally culpable for those deaths in a way that refusing to pull the lever wouldn't?

Of course, the difference is that this isn't a thought experiment, it's real life. Those people on the metaphorical tracks aren't imaginary numbers for the purpose of a meaningless thought experiment on utilitarianism. That trolley is barreling full speed toward a homophobic, patriarchical white supremacist dictatorship, and the only thing that can save us is enough people deciding they dislike that enough to pull that lever directing us away from it (and in the long term, to keep pulling that lever every two years, and to work to convince other people to go pull that lever too). I personally don't have much patience for people who want to sit at home and jerk off about how they've maintained their moral purity by refusing to touch that lever - especially if they were happy to come out and pull that lever every four years before 2016, but want to pretend they've suddenly discovered deep moral qualms about it now that there's a lot more bodies on the straight-ahead track.

Another difference is that the two tracks are represented by individual human beings here, and in this case they're both rather uncharismatic and have a lot of people who have deep personal dislikes for them. So in addition to all the moral and philosophical arguments for pulling or not pulling that lever, there's also a fair number of people who make their decision based on their personal feelings for the people representing those two tracks, and then lie about why they did it because they're embarrassed to admit the moral considerations didn't really play a large role for them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

this is a good-faith question from a concerned anti-genocide but still Biden voter:

it was my understanding that the point of voting third party is to show there are substantial numbers of voters who care deeply enough to throw their vote away, so the results of

Genocide Joe 2,100,000
Genocide Don 2,080,000
Peace Party Cand 21,000

might make the losing party adopt some of the third party's positions. apologies if thus is stupid or wrong, I don't have a degree in poli-sci

It's far more likely that the losing party will adopt positions from the winning party, which would be twice as effective (since they'd only need to pull away 10k votes to change that result, not 20k) and has more potential benefit (they could potentially pull more than just 21k voters from the winning party). Yeah, sure, trying to take votes from the winning party may not be effective and risks losing other votes, but the same is also true of trying to take votes from the third-party, whose extreme positions are clearly unpopular and whose voters are clearly disinclined to support the Democrats.

Besides, you're massively understating the size of the gap here. Here's what the actual results in 2020 looked like:

Democrats: 81,283,501
Republicans: 74,223,975
Libertarians: 1,865,535
Green Party: 407,068

So the Dems got 200 times as many votes as the Greens, not just the 100 times in your example. And by your own logic, the Dems should be seeking to adopt positions from the Libertarian Party, not the Greens. After all, the last time the Green Party outperformed the Libertarian Party in an election was in 2000, when the Libertarian candidate refused federal matching funds. Considering that the Greens have lost to the party that wants to abolish welfare and end Social Security in the last five straight presidential elections, it's hard to imagine that anyone sees adopting their policies as a way to attract significant political support.

Ultimately, the whole thing is nonsense, because major political shifts do not start at the presidency. They start in Congress. Partly because whether a president has support from Congress makes a big difference in how much the president can accomplish, of course. But also because there are a lot more Congressional elections than there are presidential elections, and therefore a lot more opportunities for people to make their political preferences known through voting. Moreover, the smaller scope of the races means more room for outsider candidates with unusual policies or stances to take a shot at getting themselves in front of the electorate and seeing what the voters think of their positions. For example, while Trump's often treated as a political game-changer, he was preceded by several cycles of increasingly insane Republicans getting into the Congress and ousting longtime incumbents. By the time 2015 rolled around, it was already quite clear that the GOP base was desperately hungry for someone like Trump.

Majorian posted:

Which voting bloc(s) is Biden winning through his hardline Zionist and anti-immigration stances that will make up for the voters he's losing through those same stances, exactly? Not Evangelical Zionists, certainly. Jewish hardline pro-Israel voters? I think their minds are already made up. Immigration hawks? Not likely. So what's the electoral strategy here? Trying to win Florida again?

I'm getting tired so I'm just going to google some polls and post a few charts for you.

Looks like there's still a fair amount of people out there who might find "support for Israel" and "reducing how utterly overwhelmed the southern border is" to be appealing.

I know it's a lot of fun to pretend that our views are the majority views and that only tiny fringe groups disagree with us, but unfortunately the reality is exactly the opposite.

Hell, even among groups that think that Israel is committing genocide, the campaign in Gaza until Hamas is destroyed is still a more popular outcome for Gaza than immediate ceasefire, and maintaining or increasing aid to Israel is more popular than decreasing it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kagrenak posted:

I agree with the rest of your post but I don't see those cross tabs in the document? The percentages under the 'describes self as very liberal" basically work out such that there are at least some people who hold those two views but don't imply that is the majority view.

I would like to talk to someone who holds both of those positions though because is the idea just that it's worth it or something?

60% of liberals think Israel is committing genocide in Gaza, but only 27% think there should be an immediate ceasefire, while 42% think the war has to end with the destruction of Hamas in some form or fashion. There's got to be a fair chunk of people who think it's a genocide but that there shouldn't be a ceasefire. Though rather than self-identified liberals, I was personally looking at Dem/Biden voters and 18-29 groups, both of which are admittedly slightly less sure that it's a genocide.

As for how people can put those positions together, I think I can get an idea of it even if they don't agree: they believe that Hamas has to be destroyed, and that Israel has the fundamental right to invade Gaza and destroy Hamas in retaliation for Oct 7th. They wish that Israel wouldn't be quite so blatantly going out of their way to cause needless civilian casualties, but their desired result isn't "stop the war", it's "convince Israel to stop shooting quite so many civilians and focus entirely on Hamas".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Majorian posted:

I'm asking what specifically you think he will do to make the situation in Gaza worse, not whether or not his rhetoric is pro-Israel, pro-Zionism, anti-Palestinian, etc. I'm not trolling; I'd like an answer to my question.

Rather than asking us what we personally think, why not ask Israel's leading anti-Palestinian genocide advocate, Itamar Ben-Gvir, the guy who wants to arm extremist groups in the West Bank and used to have a portrait of a mass murderer hanging in his living room?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/attacking-biden-ben-gvir-says-trump-would-have-been-more-supportive-of-israel/

quote:

Attacking Biden, Ben Gvir says Trump would have been more supportive of Israel
US president ‘busy with giving humanitarian aid and fuel, which goes to Hamas,’ far right minister tells Wall Street Journal; PM criticizes those who ‘endanger vital interests’

National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir harshly criticized the Biden administration’s handling of the war in Gaza, accusing it of benefitting Hamas and arguing that Israel would have been better off dealing with a second Trump administration.

“Instead of giving us his full backing, [President Joe] Biden is busy with giving humanitarian aid and fuel, which goes to Hamas,” Ben Gvir declared in an interview with the Wall Street Journal published on Sunday. “If Trump was in power, the U.S. conduct would be completely different.”

The far-right minister’s comments — which were subsequently repudiated by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu — came on the heels of Defense Minister Yoav Gallant publicly thanking US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and the Biden administration “for their efforts in pursuing a framework for the return of the hostages, for their commitment to Israel’s security, and their leadership in strengthening security in the Middle East region.”

Since Hamas’s October 7 onslaught, the Biden administration fast-tracked the sale of hundreds of millions of dollars worth of munitions to Israel, bypassing congressional review.

At the same time as it has provided Israel with weapons and diplomatic backing in its war against Hamas, the White House has also pushed Jerusalem to allow more aid to reach Gazans and is reportedly weighing the use of weapons supplies as leverage to pressure Israel to reduce the intensity of its operations in the Gaza Strip.

This approach, paired with the administration’s criticism of Ben Gvir’s repeated calls for Israel to encourage the “voluntary emigration” of the Strip’s population, has drawn the minister’s ire, leading him to recently declare that Israel was “not another star in the American flag.”

In his interview with the Wall Street Journal, Ben Gvir said he wished to “encourage Gazans to voluntarily emigrate to places around the world” by using cash incentives. A number of lawmakers, including members of the cabinet, have pushed for the “resettlement” of Palestinians from Gaza, an idea that has been roundly rejected by the international community, which has warned Israel that the forced transfer of populations constitutes a violation of international law.

Ben Gvir’s latest criticism of Biden — who last year panned members of the Israeli government as some “of the most extreme” he had seen in his political career — came only days after he lashed out at the administration for an executive order implementing sanctions against violent settlers.

“It is time for America to rethink its policy in Judea and Samaria [the West Bank]. President Biden is wrong about the citizens of the State of Israel and the heroic settlers,” Ben Gvir tweeted.

Calling Biden the “worst president that we’ve had in the history of country,” Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, claimed during a campaign event last month that that if he were still US president “Russia would not have attacked [Ukraine], Israel would never have been attacked.”

“The Ukraine situation is so horrible, the Israeli situation is so horrible, what’s happened. We’re going to get them solved, we are going to get them solved very fast,” he promised.

In addition to his comments about Biden, Ben Gvir also told the Wall Street Journal that Netanyahu stood “at a crossroads” and “has to choose in what direction he’ll go” — although he added that he has no intention of pulling out of the government, despite repeated threats to do just that.

Addressing the cabinet at the start of its weekly meeting on Sunday, Netanyahu declared that he did not “need help to know how to navigate our relations with the US and the international community, while standing firm on our national interests.”

As for what Trump would do differently, Ben-Gvir gives plenty of examples. He thinks Trump would stop criticizing the Israeli government and stop pressuring it to back away from right-wing stances. He thinks Trump would stop giving humanitarian aid to Palestinians. He thinks Trump would put an end to Biden's practice of threatening to withhold weapons to Israel if Israel did certain things. And worst of all, he thinks Trump would be more supportive of his calls to forcibly "voluntarily" relocate Palestinians out of Palestine than the Biden administration, which has been highly critical of that.

And while Trump has largely avoided getting specific about what he'd do about Gaza on the campaign trail, he has said a few things we can refer to. For example, he promised to bar people who don't support Zionism from entering the US, and promised that any non-citizens attending pro-Palestine protests would have their visas revoked and be deported. He also proclaimed that Israel should be avenged for the crimes of Oct 7th, and stated that "there is no hatred like the Palestinian hatred of Israel and Jewish people".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

HOW!?

Like it's literally at the worst it can possibly be?

It's not even close to the worst it can possibly be. Trump was going to let Israel start officially annexing chunks of the West Bank whether the Palestinians agreed to it or not. The only reason he backed down was that Israeli domestic politics poo poo themselves and delayed the annexation bill long enough for Kushner to get spooked by the blowback, decide he didn't want to be personally associated with it, and convince Trump to cancel the blank check he'd offered Israel.

And that's just on the US side of things. On the Israel side of things, Ben-Gvir wants to expel all Palestinians from Gaza and annex it to Israel, and then he wants to do the same things in the West Bank that Israel has been doing in Gaza. He's also been fighting to arm settler death squads in the West Bank to roam around doing pogroms on their own initiative, and just about the only reason that hasn't happened yet is that Biden is conditioning small arms supplies to Israel on that not happening.

If you think that this is the worst a genocide can possibly be, I don't even know what to say. It's so obviously wrong that I have a hard time taking it seriously at all.

Majorian posted:

I can make and understand inferences perfectly well. I'm sorry I don't find your argument convincing, but right now, if Trump's rhetoric reminds me of anything, it's John Kerry's position on the Iraq War during the '04 election, ie: "We're going to keep doing the war, but we'll do it better than Bush and win it faster."

I don't think there's much of a chance that Biden is going to withhold aid to Israel. Nor do I think Biden's calls for Israel to minimize civilian casualties in Gaza, or his criticisms of Israel relocating Palestinians out of Palestine, have amounted to, well, anything. I think there's an argument to be made that Trump would be worse than Biden in terms of supporting this genocide, but it's a pretty small difference IMO, unfortunately.

Biden's been delaying (some specific kinds of) aid to Israel for a little while now, attaching conditions to it and implying strongly that he'll withhold the aid altogether if Israel doesn't convince him it's going to meet those conditions. He's also issued some sanctions against West Bank people and organizations, and has been threatening that Israel itself could be hit by sanctions if they don't rein in the right-wing brutality there. He's not doing that in regards to Israel's conduct in Gaza, true, but he's taken a strong interest in Israeli policy in the West Bank lately and has been putting some unprecedented levels of pressure on Israel to cut down on its aggressive policies there (particularly when it comes reining in the settlers who go engage in terrorism and brutality with the implicit support of the IDF). Putting aside the question of whether that's enough, it's certainly a whole lot more than Trump would do.

Majorian posted:

Thank you, I appreciate it. Those are vague threats, though - they remind me of Trump promising to kill all of ISIS' families, something that he didn't follow through on. It's a bloodthirsty and insane post, but it's also in-keeping with his long pattern of offering tough talk on foreign policy and then not following through.

None of us have crystal balls to look into the future and tell us with full certainty exactly what he will do in the future. All we can do is look at his past words and his past actions. His past words promise "starting wars" to shed "gallons [of blood]", and his past actions demonstrate unprecedented levels of support for Israel and unprecedented levels of "gently caress you" for Palestinians. You're going to have to be satisfied with the predictions we can make from that, and those predictions don't promise good news for Gazans.

Majorian posted:

I appreciate this. To be clear, I'm not challenging anyone to establish that one of the evils is in fact evil - we're all on the same page that Trump is evil. It's just a question of, "Is he more evil than Biden on this very fraught, life-or-death-for-millions-of-people issue, and if so, by how much, in material terms?" I get that that may come off as asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but again, it's a life-or-death issue for millions of people, and folks here and elsewhere are doing a lot of important soul-searching to decide how they're going to vote in November (I have the luxury of not having to do that, because again, deep blue state and all that). So I think it's a valid thing to discuss, but I'm sorry if anything I posted came off as points-scoring, because that's not at all what I intended.

Yes, he is. He's also much more evil than Biden on a number of other very fraught, life-or-death-for-millions-of-people issues, in ways that are a lot worse in material terms. For example, Ukraine!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

None of this is remotely true, btw. You're just bald-faced lying to protect, I repeat, a rapist racist genocidaire. Biden has UPPED the aid to Israel, attached ZERO conditions and has supported all the way, including declaring illegal war on the only parties trying to stop the genocide.

It is amazing the lengths to which Biden supporters will lie to themselves and others. HE CUT FUNDING TO UNRWA UNDER BLATANTLY FALSE PRETENSES THE DAY AFTER THE ICJ RULING.

I'm talking about something specific, because in the real world there's nuances where people can do some bad things (sometimes a lot of bad things) while also doing some good things. For example, a president can send some kinds of aid to a country while blocking other kinds of aid.

In this case, I'm talking about how the Biden administration has blocked sales of small arms to Israel. The administration demanded substantial assurances that those guns wouldn't make their way into the hands of settlers, and when they weren't satisfied with those assurances, they buried the request in paperwork and reviews. As far as I can tell, those gun sales have been on hold for two months with no progress, as the administration gets increasingly annoyed with Israeli conduct in the West Bank.

https://www.axios.com/2023/12/13/us-israel-rifle-sale-delay-west-bank-violence

quote:

Scoop: U.S. delaying sale of M16 rifles to Israel over settler violence

The Biden administration is again holding up the licenses for selling more than 20,000 U.S.-made rifles to Israel over concerns about attacks by extremist Israeli settlers against Palestinian civilians in the occupied West Bank, two U.S. officials told Axios.

Why it matters: The decision to send the rifle deal for another review by the State Department signals the Biden administration remains concerned the Israeli government isn't doing enough to curb violence by extremist settlers.

Catch up quick: Israel in the first week of the war requested the rifles for civilian initial response teams in Israeli villages close to the borders with Gaza, Lebanon and Syria. Those teams of local residents receive weapons and training from the Israeli police in order to be first responders in case of a terror attack.

The Israeli request was treated with caution by the Biden administration because of concerns Itamar Ben Gvir, the ultra-nationalist minister of national security who oversees the police, would distribute the rifles to extremist settlers in the West Bank, according to U.S. officials.

The Biden administration and Congress approved the export licenses for U.S. defense companies only after being assured the weapons wouldn't go to civilian teams in Jewish settlements.

Behind the scenes: Several weeks after the deal was approved, the U.S. State Department decided to slow-walk the process and put the licenses under a new review, the U.S. officials said.

The U.S. officials said the reason for the new review was the feeling in the Biden administration that the Israeli government wasn't doing enough to tackle settler violence and claiming the U.S. is "inflating the issue."

The Biden administration was alarmed by a report in the Israeli press about a secret document written by the commander of the IDF central command that claimed Ben Gvir gave an order to the police not to arrest violent settlers in the West Bank.

What they're saying: "This deal isn't moving anywhere at the moment. We need more assurances from Israel about the steps it is going to take to curb attacks by violent settlers and to make sure no new U.S. weapons will reach settlers in the West Bank," a U.S. official said.

A State Department spokesperson said: "We are restricted from publicly confirming or commenting on details regarding direct commercial defense sales licensing activities."

The big picture: Last week the State Department announced it imposed sanctions on several dozen Israeli settlers believed to be involved in attacks against Palestinians, banning them from traveling to the U.S.

It was the first time the U.S. sanctioned extremist settlers since the Clinton administration.

Yes, the administration is doing this even as it continues to send other weaponry to Israel. But there's no way Trump would block these sales. He doesn't give a poo poo about Palestinian civilians, and many members of his circles have strong ties to the settlers. So lifting this block is one way in which things could very well get worse for Palestinians under Trump.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I didn't watch anything yesterday, why was the ad bad enough it needed to be apologized for?

This seems to be the ad in question:
https://twitter.com/AmValues2024/status/1756847553595760906

Given that the entire rest of the Kennedy clan seems to hate him and everything he stands for, it's no wonder they were particularly pissed about this ad.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The fact that college sports and universities are now partnering and promoting sports gambling to their fans is also pretty wild.

I can't think of another thing that so totally and completely became enmeshed within society and every aspect of an industry so quickly before.

Even Amazon took 15 years before they basically took over online shopping and they only account for ~38% of all online sales. There's about 3 companies that account for 98% of all online gambling.

Online gambling is about as close to guaranteed easy money (for the house, that is) as you can get. The only thing keeping it down was the legal restrictions.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

You're just saying that the math is unintuitive but with more words, again. No poo poo, people without sufficient mathematical education don't have enough knowledge of math : you're repackaging a tautology and pretending it's a point.

This isn't an actual argument against the efficacy of education, you're just repeating that it hasn't happened yet.

The problem isn't that people are uneducated, the problem is that people aren't applying that education to gambling, or are choosing to do it in spite of the mathematical realities.

The core problem behind gambling isn't that people don't realize they're probably going to end up with a net loss, it's that people enjoy the wins enough that they're willing to go through with it even if it means losing money.

Hell, just look at how much money some people dump into gambling in mobile games that have literally no cash reward at all. They're guaranteed to lose every dollar they put into it, but they still dump cash in for the sake of getting some JPEGs they could easily look up online. Because what they're in it for isn't really the reward itself, but the dopamine hit of getting rewarded.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Senate Cum Dump posted:

It doesn't really matter if it's a false equivalence and Trump isn't getting covered the same way. That doesn't address the root concern which is that Biden is feeble and is perceived as such. Deflecting the issue is not going to change any voters' minds.

My point is, whining about coverage of Biden being old accomplishes nothing other than drawing more attention to Biden being old. If the Democrats want to change perceptions they need to do more than go "but what about when Trump forgets things??"

The thing you're responding to isn't the Democrats going "but what about when Trump forgets things??", it's a media outlet going "but what about when Trump forgets things??".

Which is important, because these perceptions are heavily shaped by the media. Most of our exposure to these candidates comes via media, after all, and that media exposure usually has a narrative attached.

Tnega posted:

Content creators live and die by the algorithms, assuming there is no physiological reason specific types/genres of content can be created, we are left to assume that what is granted exposure by the algorithms, (and by extension encouraged to be created) is a, if not the primary determination of what content is created by sex. There may be excellent non-sexualized gaming adjacent content created by women, but it isn't being promoted. Hopefully that cleared things up.

The reason there's a bunch of sexualized content on Twitch is because it has two dedicated sections for softcore near-porn, and the reason that this sexualized content skews heavily female is because the site's userbase skews heavily male and isn't exactly a LGBT haven.

"The algorithm" has become a convenient boogeyman, but I think people have become far too quick to pin blame on it, because the algorithm is very rarely the actual root problem. Social media algorithms tend to amplify and exaggerate problems that already exist, but it's very rare for them to actually be directly responsible for creating the problem.

B B posted:

With the exception of Truman, Biden is polling worse than all of them at the same point in their respective presidencies. He's also trending downward both in terms of his overall approval rating and net approval rating. I think he just needs a little more time to become the GOAT of unpopular presidents.

Sure, but why pin it to a particular point in their presidencies? It's not like presidential approval ratings are primarily time-based or follow consistent patterns over the course of an administration. They're heavily influenced by real-world events and conditions.

If you were talking just about the election, then yeah, comparing Biden's approval rating before the election to other presidents' approval ratings before their reelection attempt might be informative (though I think we're still a little too early for that to be useful). But when you're talking about popularity in general, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to compare across the same point in each president's term.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I think amplifying and exaggerating existing problems is a causal mechanism of sufficient significance to be worthy of direct blame.

It can sometimes share part of the blame, yes. But I think there's an increasing tendency these days to use "the algorithm" as a thought-terminating cliche, where people simply blame things on "the algorithm" and don't bother to investigate the root cause of the problem or the ways in which the algorithm impacts it.

I think it stands out really well in this particular case. Twitch is a major camming site with a mostly-male userbase and a dedicated swimsuits section. It's not surprising at all that there might be a lot more sexualized women!

Yet someone's immediate response to this was to blindly blame "the algorithm", without even the slightest effort to explore other potential causes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

To the degree that the creation of the swimsuit section is the product of deliberate decisions reflecting pursuit of the outcome measures selected for by the design of the site, that response seems valid.

Well, no, because the creation of the swimsuit section has nothing to do with algorithms. It's like asking why SA has a forum where people post about drugs a lot, and then answering it with "because of the algorithms". It's a conscious decision directly and intentionally made by human beings who are directly making decisions about what their site will allow, endorse, and have dedicated spaces for. Jumping straight to blaming algorithms is just absolving the actual human decision-makers of their accountability and responsibility (which, ironically, is exactly a thing people often fear that algorithms will be used for).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm sure some would. Enough to make a difference? :shrug:

I think one thing that makes gentrification much worse in the US are the high property taxes. Which apparently means that if some rich yuppies move into the neighborhood you've lived in since 1953, suddenly the value of your housing goes up and you literally can't afford to pay the taxes to stay there. OTOH my grandfather has lived in the same place since like the 70s and despite the area becoming much more popular and expensive, can still live there just fine on limited income, because the costs of living didn't force him out.

While it varies from state to state and even from local government to local government, property taxes in the US typically aren't excessively high, and there's a lot of potential exemptions. Typically, when property taxes in an area are high, it's because the government in question charges little to no income tax, and thus has to crank up other taxes to fund government services.

But the main thing that doesn't sound right to me is that homeowners in the US love increased property values, because the home is their property and thus the value of their property is going up. If the price of their home rises enough that property taxes become a concern, they can sell their house for a massive profit, or do things like take out equity loans or rent out part of the property. There's lots of ways to make a profit off rising property values in America, it's just a lot more profitable if you don't have to pay taxes on those profits.

The people who get hosed the hardest by increasing property values are renters, who don't own the homes they live in and therefore see zero benefit from increases in the home's value. Instead of taxes, they pay rents - and landlords will invariably respond to rising property values by substantially increasing rents. While the landlords will typically point to property taxes as an excuse for these rent increases, it's a rather unconvincing excuse. Typically, the real motive is simply that the rich yuppies are willing to pay higher rents than the current renters are, and for the landlords that's an opportunity to make more money in exchange for zero extra work.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I remember looking at NJ since that's where my cousin lived and it was like 2.4% which means about $12k a year in taxes on a $500k home. Dunno if that's "excessive" but it seems like quite a lot to just be able to live in property you already own, and might be an issue for someone who bought it when the whole house was like $50k.

People do love their home value increasing obviously, but they only realize that gain if they move out --> gentrification. And yeah sucks for renters too of course.

NJ has the highest property taxes in the nation - the national average is less than 1%. The reason NJ's property taxes are so high is because the school system is funded by local property taxes, and NJ spends a lot on education. Remember, property taxes aren't like rent - you're not stuffing someone's pockets for the privilege of living there, you're paying for local public services.

This also means that unlike landlords, the government doesn't have a strong incentive to simply pocket the profits from home valuations going up. While landlords will try to maximize profit, the government has no trouble creating exemptions or lowering rates or capping increases as long as it's

"Yeah sucks for renters too" doesn't cut it. Because renters - who are typically poorer than people who've got sufficient financial means to buy and own their own house - get hosed first and worst by rising home valuations. If you think that paying $12k a year to live in the median-priced NJ home is excessive, then what does that say about the renters currently paying median rents of $35k a year? And when they get forced out by rising prices they don't get to cash out the profits from that increased valuation either. The victims of gentrification are primarily renters, not homeowners.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If that guy supports Ben-Gvir's policies and sends him money and weapons, how are they different?

Does he support Ben-Gvir's policies? Does he want to send Ben-Gvir money and weapons?

To be clear, I'm not just trying to pull some pedantic poo poo here. I'm asking because Ben-Gvir's desired policies are quite a bit worse than what Israel is actually doing right now, and it would legit be big news if non-Republican members of Congress were openly endorsing his stances. Even Biden is going out of his way to prevent Ben-Gvir from receiving money and weapons.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

I think that is a bit tongue in cheek and is actually meant to make fun of Trump.

Sorry, but unfortunately it's 100% serious:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/10/us/politics/biden-trump-aging.html

quote:

Why the Age Issue Is Hurting Biden So Much More Than Trump
Both Donald J. Trump and President Biden are over 75. But voters are much less likely to worry that Mr. Trump is too old to serve.

By Rebecca Davis O’Brien

Donald J. Trump has praised Hungary’s prime minister, Viktor Orban, for his leadership of Turkey, and confused Nikki Haley with Nancy Pelosi. President Biden has named dead former European leaders when describing his contemporary peers, and referred to Egypt as Mexico.

The episodes might have raised parallel concerns about age and mental acuity. Instead, while Mr. Biden, 81, has been increasingly dogged by doubts and concerns about his advancing years from voters, Mr. Trump, who is 77, has not felt the same political blowback.

The response suggests profound differences not only between the two men, but in how they are perceived by the American public, and in what their supporters expect of them — a divide that could play a major role in the coming presidential election.

In a New York Times/Siena College poll of six battleground states, an overwhelming majority of voters said they had serious concerns about Mr. Biden’s age, with 70 percent saying he is too old to be president. Fewer than half of voters have expressed similar misgivings about Mr. Trump.

“Even though we know both candidates are three and a half years apart, one side seems to have it sticking a little more, and that’s going to be a concern,” said Representative Mark Pocan, Democrat of Wisconsin.

Some of it comes down to basic physical differences.

Mr. Biden’s voice has grown softer and raspier, his hair thinner and whiter. He is tall and trim but moves more tentatively than he did as a candidate in 2019 and 2020, often holding his upper body stiff, adding to an impression of frailty. And he has had spills in the public eye: falling off a bicycle, tripping over a sandbag.

Mr. Trump, by contrast, does not appear to be suffering the effects of time in such visible ways. Mr. Trump often dyes his hair and appears unnaturally tan. He is heavyset and tall, and he uses his physicality to project strength in front of crowds. When he takes the stage at rallies, he basks in adulation for several minutes, dancing to an opening song, and then holds forth in speeches replete with macho rhetoric and bombast that typically last well over an hour, a display of stamina.

“It is the perception of how you communicate,” said Carol Kinsey Goman, a speaker and coach on leadership presence. “When Trump makes those kinds of faux pas, he just brushes it off, and people don’t say, ‘Oh, he’s aging.’ He makes at least as many mistakes as Joe Biden, but because he does it with this bravado, it doesn’t seem like senility. It seems like passion.”

With Mr. Biden, Ms. Goman said, “it looks like weakness.”

It is difficult to go beyond public perception to compare the physical health of the two men. Democrats and some Republicans have said Mr. Biden remains sharp in private conversations. Mr. Biden and Mr. Trump have each released limited medical information. Nearly a year ago, the White House released a letter from Mr. Biden’s longtime doctor describing him as a “healthy, vigorous 80-year-old male” after a physical examination. The White House has not made his doctors available to reporters. In November, Mr. Trump released a vague health report describing his condition as “excellent.”

Democrats and Mr. Biden’s supporters say the two men are held to different standards.

This week, the president was forced to defend his mental acuity publicly after a special counsel’s report said there was evidence that Mr. Biden may have willfully retained classified documents. The office would not recommend charges, the report said, in part because Mr. Biden would most likely appear to a jury “as a sympathetic, well-meaning elderly man with a poor memory.” It said he had difficulty remembering the date that his son Beau died.

When Mr. Biden gathered reporters to dispute aspects of the report and angrily denounce its assertions about his memory and mental state as out of bounds, he also took questions about the Middle East — and mixed up Egypt and Mexico.

Mr. Trump has also faced questions about his health and fitness for office. He is prone to long, incoherent remarks and slip-ups. He has suggested that he defeated Barack Obama, not Hillary Clinton, in the 2016 presidential election, and has warned that the country is on the verge of World War II. In office, he was seen walking haltingly down a ramp and struggling to hold a water glass.

While Mr. Biden has acknowledged that voters’ concerns about his age are reasonable, Mr. Trump has responded to these episodes with typical hyperbole. In 2015, he released a hastily written doctor’s note declaring that if elected, he would be “the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency.” In office, amid news reports of his erratic behavior, Mr. Trump asserted that he was actually a “very stable genius.”

Today, he regularly mocks Mr. Biden for his age, while boasting about acing a test that detects cognitive decline.

Mr. Trump’s responses point to a basic asymmetry of expectations that appears to be working in his favor: His impulsiveness and willingness to go off-script in ways that can be messy only adds to his image as an unrehearsed, unvarnished chaos agent, a key source of his popularity with Republicans.

(When Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida, Mr. Trump’s defeated rival for the Republican nomination, tried to convince voters that Mr. Trump had “lost the zip on his fastball,” it didn’t stick.)

Verbal flubs by Mr. Biden, by contrast, undermine the image of experience, competence and professionalism that got him elected, and that even his supporters quietly fear may be slipping away.

“Donald Trump is more of an entertainer than a politician in many ways,” Mr. Pocan said. “And I think there’s just a different set of expectations and that’s why he gets away with it.”

Ms. Goman, the leadership coach — who said she supports Mr. Biden — also suggested that Mr. Trump’s experience as a reality television star might have influenced how he performs and is perceived in public.

“Trump is big,” Ms. Goman said. “He simply takes over. He has that kind of full-charge-ahead persona that does correlate with being younger, healthier, more active. Biden doesn’t. He is a different kind of person. And, unfortunately, in this situation, it doesn’t work out well.”

Mr. Biden has spent his life in government, but he was never a gifted public speaker. He had a significant stutter during his childhood. And he has always been vulnerable to verbal slips and malapropisms. His unscripted moments have long made his backers nervous, even before age came into the picture.

Henry Barbour, a Republican strategist based in Mississippi, said he thought Americans were simply responding to what they saw and heard.

“Donald Trump is no young man, but he does seem to be, for the most part, on top of his game,” he said. “Is he what he was five or 10 years ago? I’m sure he’s not. Anybody who is 78 years old would tell you that.”

But it is different with Mr. Biden, Mr. Barbour said. “I don’t think you can compare the two,” he said. “Clearly, the American people are uncomfortable with Joe Biden continuing as president just because of what is happening before their very eyes.”

Mr. Barbour has backed Ms. Haley, Mr. Trump’s last Republican challenger, but he is prepared for Mr. Trump to be the nominee and face off against Mr. Biden. “It’s painful for the American people that these are their two choices,” he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

It sounds like the article is attributing the physical difference to cosmetics. I don't know why you didn't bold this part, too:

If someone wrote an article pointing this out about you while calling you fat and done up with makeup and hair dye, would you find it laudatory?

The article is neither laudatory nor tongue-in-cheek. It's claiming that Trump looks physically strong and energetic while using makeup and dye to hide signs of age, but still makes mistakes mentally. This is because the article is neither a sloppy blowjob nor a hit piece - it's trying to explore why he might not be perceived as having the same age problems as Biden despite the fact that he probably does.