Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Federal hiring and funding is, to put it lightly, hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

koolkal posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to hold early primaries in diverse states that are also actually in play?

Yeah, like Nevada, or Michigan!

...which is why they're next. :ms:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FizFashizzle posted:

There’s never been a mention of him having a stutter. There’s no Google results for this from before 2020. It’s about and well sourced and the random black guy who’s legs he feeled up when he was working and a life guard. And fwiw Biden himself said the “stutter” isn’t a problem with his speech.

clearly you didn't Google very hard because it's a very commonly known fact about Joe Biden. This article from 2007 literally starts with the sentence "Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) stuttered badly as a child"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kchama posted:

Yeah, this is basically it. The quote posted about Biden saying he doesn't think he has a stutter is literally true. He doesn't stutter anymore because of his control. With the type of stutter I have, talking feels natural until suddenly it isn't and I've said something odd or I'm having to slam my mouth shut for a couple of moments to reboot my mouth.

Thankfully, I've avoided saying stuff TOO embarrassing too much. The worst was probably the time I was gonna challenge a guy to a fighting game at the arcade, and "Wanna fight?" came out as "Wanna gently caress?"

He replied "Yeah, but later."

At least I got revenge in the actual game.

Well did you gently caress after???

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I'm really, really hoping Biden comes to his senses and steps aside but I know that isn't going to happen and anyone who doesn't vote for the Dem nominee is a monster who is responsible for killing Amercan democracy. Personally I think such people deserve to die.

this is an extremely low effort troll and you should feel bad about yourself and your posting

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
My personal feelings are that while there are valid reasons why someone might not be able to bring themselves to vote for Biden, at the end of the day it might be the last real vote we get to make is Trump gets into office again. Not to mention all the climate and general decent government stuff that's taking place under his administration - it's not sexy but it sure is nice to have a government staffed by generally competent and well-meaning people.

saying anyone who doesn't vote Biden deserves to die is an obvious troll though

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

KillHour posted:

Being angry and being rational are generally not well correlated.

Whoever bought that title was clearly loving pissed. I don't know the exact conversation that led to it, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they were probably rightly pissed, given the subject matter. I'm not going to stand in front of someone who is rightly pissed about an ongoing genocide and say "you're lumping in innocent people with the genociders; you should really be more careful."

You're free to, but I don't recommend doing it in person unless you like getting slugged.

Edit: And if they had just said "that should be worded more carefully" I wouldn't have responded in the first place. From context, they told someone they should be permabanned for being mad about a genocide and being overly broad about directing that anger, and didn't even clarify what it was they were taking issue with. That deserved some pushback.

"they were angry so their racism is excusable" what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

KillHour posted:

I still disagree that it's perma-worthy, but I'm also not a mod. I assume someone will blank it out.

"jewish people deserve to die because of the Israeli government's actions," hell yeah that's the quality kind of post we want on the stormfront Something Awful forums

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, it's terribly paced. It has about 10 minutes of visually interesting horror, then 40 minutes of dialogue inside the diner preceding 5 minutes of interesting horror, followed by 2 minutes of boring horror, and then it ends.

The twist is that they think it's demons, but God has given up on humanity and they are all actually biblical angels sent down to cull mankind and the second coming.

I can't remember much else about the movie except that there is a character named "Jeep" and the angels inexplicably have the power to turn blood into acid.

I have saved you two hours.

I watched it with a few friends back when I was in high school in an empty theater (except for my poor mother who had volunteered to let us see an R-rated movie) and we were constantly riffing on how awful it was. This is the only way I would recommend watching this film.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fart Amplifier posted:

Reading this forum does nothing. Is it also unhealthy?

I mean,

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

dadrips posted:

As opposed to right now, where you have the entire democratic party being held to ransom by Mr Coal And Guns

Is this post from a year and a half ago? Right now they aren't passing much of anything on account of Republicans controlling the House, as opposed to the multiple massive (if neutered) bills they were able to pass in the first two years of the administration. Not to mention the nearly two hundred judges! turns out controlling the chamber is actually pretty important even if you have to wrangle some assholes

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Also say what you will about Manchin but at least he didn't deliberately topple his own chamber's leadership, make his party out to be an incompetent laughingstock, and completely torpedo any chance of accomplishing anything useful, all because he had a personal grudge against leadership and wanted to feel like a big special boy!

thanks for the memories, Matt.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

dadrips posted:

Executive order, with immediate, harsh and uncompromising penalties for any companies found to be profiting from the sale of insulin.

Do you think that would be unpopular among the people who matter, ie diabetics? Or would you support continuing to make people financially liable for being diabetic?

"Oh but you're being unrealistic, that's unachievable, you're a dictator etc" everybody itt has been making it clear that it's either this or Christian fascism, and if you find a tepid measure to make healthcare accessible more distasteful than the alternative then I've got bad news about your personal political inclinations

why do people love fantasizing about the president doing things that would immediately be slapped down by the courts and/or reversed by the next president

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Look we all know Goku doesn't give a hot gay gently caress about what Congress says but that's not an actual argument

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

dadrips posted:

Maybe because being able to point to a) an actual decisive piece of concrete action being taken to improve people's lives in a way that is real and immediate and b) a subsequent reaction by your opponent to take that away might be the type of thing to help convince people of your good intentions, with the hopes of gaining their vote?

You're right, I mean after all look at all the credit people gave Biden for cancelling student loans!

wait

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

dadrips posted:

What do you find more distasteful - uninsured Americans paying hundreds of dollars to continue living thanks to Eli Lily's desire for growing shareholder returns, or an immediate if legislatively messy solution to their peril? Are you really so preoccupied with decorum and doing things the right way, instead of real and immediate action that lets Americans know that the democratic party is on their side, and sends a decisive signal to pharma execs that they should keep their noses clean?

If anything Biden should take some executive action on your reading comprehension because ooh boy

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

dadrips posted:

If it's a standard issue business bastard republican, no way it happens. if it's Trump, and someone from the populist side of his entourage gets his ear for long enough, I could honestly see him doing something comparable - see him giving everyone money during covid

I really should stop responding because it's a gargantuan waste of my time but quick check, who controlled Congress when "trump" gave out all that money

e: I'm being told it was democrats? no this can't be right

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

dadrips posted:

Legality is just a question of will

:lol:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There is a line between reasonable political advocacy/disappointment and outright nonsensical fantasy. It's okay to be disappointed or outraged that Biden isn't doing more for Gaza, for instance. It's a little less reasonable to demand things that are clearly impossible, and the people who do are never going to be satisfied. "Biden sucks because he won't use an executive order to make insulin $15" is about as practical as demanding Biden imprison and execute Mitch McConnell or use HAARP to solve the drought in California. If you're gonna demand nonsense then don't be upset when people write off your demands!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Majorian posted:

Why are you spending time arguing against them if they're not going to be convinced? Why not spend your time and energy trying to GOTV in Michigan, Georgia, Nevada, etc?

Well it's a lot easier to shitpost at work, for one thing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Scags McDouglas posted:

I'll risk a probe by saying you alright, dog. Effort needs to be matched based on whether the poster is immersed in Gibbis, this thread, or CSPAM

I mean ultimately the problem there is that you would need to have someone monitoring the thread constantly and consistently to actually measure said effort and enforce that rule, which to date has driven nearly all those who have tried into incurable madness.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Worth keeping in mind that the politics around changing the court have themselves changed, due to both the court torching its own legitimacy through stupid, inconsistent, and spectacularly unpopular rulings, and the Republicans blatantly and directly stealing a seat so their chosen justices could make said rulings. For the average Dem, going up against the Court is a lot more palatable now than it was in 2009 or even in 1938, because the Rubicon in many ways has already been crossed. I'd still be surprised if they got enough votes to pass it in the Senate if the Dems somehow hold the chamber, the House, and the Presidency in 2025, but it's certainly not completely impossible — especially if the Court continues to make ridiculous and unpopular rulings like they have been, and don't back off like their predecessors did when Roosevelt was attacking them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
imo declaring that this incident is going to be taught in entry-level physics classes to the same level of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge is dumb as hell. The basic forces involved are well known and the sheer momentum of a fully loaded container ship is not something that any kind of clever engineering is going to "resist" outside of already known methods (like "try and put some land in front of it" or simply "don't have a fully loaded cargo vessel crash into your bridge.") You may as well show a video of someone getting shot in the back of the head to first-year med students - there's not much in either case one can reasonably do to prevent the nigh-inevitable result. The reason why the Tacoma Narrows Bridge is often taught is because it's an example of what not to do, a cautionary tale of hubris and unexpected forces working against the original design. Those elements just don't exist in this case — and while I'm sure some good professors could use this tragedy as a way to create classroom discussion, there's countless examples in history of these kinds of events happening, and nothing really makes this particular collapse more special or interesting above those other incidents.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
as we all know, the something awful d&d subforum is the only place on the planet earth where such matters can, nay, must be discussed

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tnega posted:

A good rule of thumb is to read the articles you post.

Typically crew size is dealt with in bargaining agreements. And the teeth that unions have in bargaining is the ability to strike. You know, the thing Biden prevented the last four from doing over sick pay. So... the Biden administration sets a rule that relies on Cheveron Deference, and can be changed if the democratic party loses an election (or SCOTUS decides Chevron has to go), and it is something that doesn't change the status quo much, and we are expected to call it a win?

Literally all legislation or administrative decisions can potentially be reversed by losing an election or SCOTUS decisions, so by that logic nobody ever deserves any credit for anything.

Also the railroad unions got sick leave less than six months after the strike was blocked in part due to continued lobbying and pressure from the administration

quote:

“We’re thankful that the Biden administration played the long game on sick days and stuck with us for months after Congress imposed our updated national agreement,” [IBEW Railroad Department Director] Al Russo said. “Without making a big show of it, Joe Biden and members of his administration in the Transportation and Labor departments have been working continuously to get guaranteed paid sick days for all railroad workers.

“We know that many of our members weren’t happy with our original agreement,” Russo said, “but through it all, we had faith that our friends in the White House and Congress would keep up the pressure on our railroad employers to get us the sick day benefits we deserve.

https://ibew.org/media-center/Articles/23Daily/2306/230620_IBEWandPaid

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 4, 2024

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tnega posted:

If I have money in my hand and am in the process of giving it to someone in exchange for a sandwich, and a third party who declares themselves 'pro sandwich' slaps that money out of my hand, I am allowed to be upset, even if the third party hands me the sandwich I would have purchased 10 minutes later.

The point is that Biden sat a precedent for interfering with the tools that people have to affect positive change, not the change itself.

What your terrible metaphor is missing is that a strike is a massively disruptive action with an uncertain outcome at the best of times. A railroad strike in the middle of the fragile post-covid economic recovery could have been massively damaging to the entire country, and Biden managing to avoid a strike and getting the workers what they wanted was an unqualified success.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tnega posted:

What is the Per Capita GDP cost per unionized worker that it becomes acceptable for the president to interfere to prevent direct action?

How about deaths? For every point unemployment goes up, thousands of people die. A massive proportion of goods in the US are shipped via rail, affecting every part of the economy. The President has a responsibility to all 341 million Americans, and if a strike is going to have a significant impact on national security or the general welfare, then yeah the government is going to intervene.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

uPen posted:

If the workers are this valuable, that them walking off the job for even a brief period of time will kill thousands of Americans perhaps we should be giving them more than 0 sick days per year (months after crushing the strike increased to four (4) days per year for some employees.)

The men responsible for nearly killing these thousands of Americans faced what punishment? They’re still collecting 8 figure salaries, still squeezing their employees for as much as they can which surely won’t cause another strike years down the line.

I mean, I agree, and so does the Biden administration, which is why they now have sick days.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
They also subsequently endorsed Biden

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Liquid Communism posted:

Capitalism requires risk for reward, and part of that risk is that your employees won't put up with the conditions you want to give them and may strike. If an industry is life or death such that the government needs to interfere in collective bargaining to prevent massive loss of life, it should be a nationalized industry running on GS standardized payscales and terms of work.

I thought we were in favor of a fair deal for workers, and you're trying to inflict the GS payscale on them??? (also federal workers can't strike either lol :suicide:)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I wish I was GS-06

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If Thomas dies Biden is ethically and professionally obligated to take the funniest option available to him and nominate Anita Hill.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
For an example from the other side, Phil Bredesen was an extremely popular governor in Tennessee who lost by over ten points when he ran for Senate. The circumstances are different, but generally governors are much more insulated from national politics than Senators are and Hogan is going to really struggle to triangulate separating himself enough from Trump to get Democratic votes but not enough to lose Republicans.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Byzantine posted:

Snapping your fingers and dusting the 50% of Americans that are screaming fascists would immediately save the world, though.

Then we're hosed. Liberal democracy cannot defeat internal fascism at its current scale. The cancer has metastasized, the immune system is overwhelmed.

Even hard-core Dem supporters can't see a way out other than "win every election for the next 50 years, and maybe not even then".

That's why I'm proud to support managed democracy and Super-Earth. Only the Helldivers can truly protect our way of life!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
but seriously if you're looking for the perfect form of government it's called an immortal philosopher king and Plato came up with that 2400 years ago.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Doctor Yiff posted:

Germany has the Network Enforcement Act, Section 130, and Sections 86 and 86a and has not become a totalitarian state. The US refuses to even nibble around the edges of fascist organizing, instead, explicitly protecting it.

AfD is also currently polling as the second-most popular party in the country so you know let's not be too hasty here

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Two things to note:

1. The President is not a king. Their power is great, but it is not unlimited, and it is often gated behind bureaucratic procedures that are slow moving at the best of times, and enforcement is limited to what legislation has already been passed and what court decisions have been made. (As an example, the Title IX changes that were just released that, among other things, prohibit schools from discriminating on the basis of gender identity were originally announced two years ago.) Shouting that the administration should be "doing more" while actively admitting you don't actually know what they already have done or are doing is... not productive.

2. This thread is not your therapist. Screaming into the void is one thing, screaming at other people who also care about these issues and have just as much power as you do is being inconsiderate at best. There is a real person on the other side of that screen, and they're not the ones making the world worse. We can all do well to remember that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
With slightly over six months to go until the election, the predictive power of polls isn't zero but it's also not incredibly high. Hell, you can find polls from May 2004 that show Kerry up 6 points nationally, and even a handful of outliers from 2008 that showed McCain leading as late as September. And of course that's before you get into some legitimate issues with many recent polls, which are facing increasing difficulty in getting respondents now that only insane people (like me) answer calls from unknown numbers. Really, all the polls can tell us right now is that if the election was held today, it would be a tight race and Trump might have an advantage - but obviously, the election is not being held today, and a lot can change within six months, for better and for worse.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Failed Imagineer posted:

Financial statements are real and polling isn't

To add onto this, in the post I just made I emphasized that the election is six months away - and while that makes the polls today meaningless, the amount of cash the campaign has on hand today can make a major difference in that amount of time. Hell, just for starters Biden is opening up a huge number of campaign offices across crucial swing states, employing campaign workers to knock on doors, register voters, and get a head start on organizing volunteers. Meanwhile, Trump's campaign has lagged significantly behind in that regard, and while he'll catch up eventually every day that passes is a day he's not getting back - and money spent now is much more effective than money spend on November 4th, when most voters' minds have already been made up.

If I were Biden, I'd be concerned about the poll numbers but I'd be confident about my advantages elsewhere. Hell, if nothing else, the fact that Trump has a strong chance of getting a fraud conviction within the next six months isn't going to do anything to help the Republicans, especially as the election nears and more undecided voters begin tuning into politics again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fuschia tude posted:

Somehow I never quite thought of it that way. Trump will have been the nominee for president three times now. :psyduck:

The William Jennings Bryan of our time!