Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There were hundreds of articles over the past few years trying to figure out what the gently caress was up with Sinema because her decisions made no sense. I read a lot of them because I also found her behavior inexplicable. What finally convinced me she was just a moron was a series of interviews with former close friends of hers and trusted advisers who all talked about trying to intervene and get her to wake up to what she was doing to her own career and she blew them all off because she thought she was going to be the next MAVERICKtm, when she clearly wasn't because she clearly did not understand how McCain had managed to walk that line or why, or why her electorate was changing under her, or why Americans increasingly don't want "moderate" candidates, or anything else about modern politics, and was just torching her own career out of misguided belief in her own genius

My own magical sinema journey was pretty much the same process.

the more firsthand accounts we got, especially detailing how she responded to pushback and doubled down on asinine bullshit no matter what internal counsel was against it, the more it eliminated the plausibility of any answer that wasn't "she is a giant moron"

sinecure is her runner-up fallback trophy that's all she's got left to take to the bank. it's what she can get after loving up every advancement or political furtherance, it wasn't a preplanned choice or a master strategy, it's the political class consolation prize, and its weird that people still think that this was all an initial goal outcome of hers

the one question I don't think has been answered to a satisfactory degree is what the process was that eroded her down to "just a moron" like was it some m night shyamalan thing where you had an ego feedback loop combined with growing too prominent and powerful to have to debase yourself to expert counsel and advice by your campaign staff and you start doing it "ur own way" with "ur uncorrupted vision" and it turns out to be ugly bad and erases your whole viable legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I know we probably know why tucker carlson is in moscow but, ok, really, why is tucker carlson in moscow

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

"Biden Opens Up Lead Over Trump In Head-To-Head, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Haley Leads Biden 1 On 1, But Trails When Third Party Candidates Are Added"

Every piece of that poll ecosystem makes sense on its own because of course haley would be vote-split from the right

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

i have a better idea: what if voting was just one day, regardless of weather or other conditions, and we kept most efforts to expand accessibility for more affluent areas and economic classes? i'm also thinking maybe we should let state legislators and governors be able to work together to decide where you can close a whole bunch of the places you can vote. to save money! this definitely should be on a regular workday too, during people's work hours, and um, you gotta have specific types of identification on you, and .. i'm pretty sure the rest of my flash cards were ruled unconstitutional but i'd still like to try them. what if there was a voting eligibility test, or even a tax?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

KKKLIP ART posted:

I know the answer is “they’re dumb” but how can you try to entrap someone in a pedo ring if all of your bait is clearly above age and seemingly the guy was told she was 36 and looked age appropriate? This is the dumbest honeypot I think I’ve ever read about.

Jacob Wohl is incredibly dumb even by the standards you habituate yourself to when discussing the far right griftosphere. No matter how dumb you think you can get, Wohl and Burkman have plumbed new depths

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Tatsuta Age posted:

Boy I wish I was half as confident as posters in this thread that this election was in the bag, and not for Trump.

The Dems hold every popular policy advantage and got the ephemeral Soft Landing that not a lot of people expected was possible, and their opponents are in catastrophic disarray that's so bad it's making a lot of them just quit and go home to not have to deal with their political peers, and their dysfunction increases on a monthly level. Which means it's the Dems' election to lose, but they are all time world champions at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

spiro fuckin agnew is just a hilarious story-within-a-story of the nixon era crimetimes

its amazing to listen to the guy just pop off about poo poo, the "effete corps of impudent snobs" and see in it the DNA of the modern moral superiority doublethink of the conservative

everything's there, if you read into his tirades against the national moratorium day. here was the country straight up turning against the vietnam war for being a horrifying inexcusable thing, and he pulled all the cards that seem super familiar by now, from blaming radicals for the unpopularity of his ideals which were actually secretly supported by the ~silent majority~, to blustering about wokeism in education

and the whole time he and his were out claiming his was the moral bulwark the country's youtes would have to return to, guy was neck deep in corruption, gets ousted as VP, gets disbarred, has to take a loan from frank sinatra to get by, and transitions to doing shady international consultancy business deals with saddam hussein and nicolae ceausescu

like you do

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

tucker: why did you decide to invade ukraine

putin: the Ethereal Divide had always existed before the creation of the Sixteen Realms. The seven Source Dragons come into being, or have always existed. Through the Source Dragons, the Elemental Powers were formed. The First Realm (the Realm of Oni and Dragons) came into being, or simply had always existed. Ninjago, the Underworld, the Realm of Madness, the Cursed Realm, the Cloud Kingdom, the Realm of the Wyldness, Djinjago, the Departed Realm, the Never-Realm, the Imperium, the Realm of Lee, and five other unknown realms eventually manifest. The Cursed Realm and Djinjago then become sister realms. The monks of Cloud Kingdom then take a role in several of the realms' events, helping guide, though not necessarily controlling, their destiny. At some point in time, the Oni and dragons fight in the first realm, centuries later,[5] the First Spinjitzu Master, a hybrid between dragons and Oni, was born. The First Spinjitzu Master, together with the Firstbourne, the mother of all dragons who can blast all elements from its mouth, create the Dragon Armor and the Dragonbone Blade to end the war between the dragons and the Oni. Legends told that

tucker: [continues staring in childlike bafflement for 46 solid minutes]

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Meanwhile trump doesn't even know what day it is and rambles about magnets, gotta love America stuff

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Kith posted:

it would be nice if biden did anything to earn my vote outside of "not being trump"

he weirdly enough actually managed to accomplish this for my family in a way i am forced to legitimately recognize, but i have nearly no qualms about this not being a universally applicable, recognized or even visible thing to most americans

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

BougieBitch posted:

Literally every time someone posts the bait of "Voting Joe makes you culpable" we get pages and pages of this poo poo, we've already covered this ground and mods have already requested electoralism chat go to another thread, I would like to read about current events in the current events thread, not take a 15 person poll of SA posters about voting intention.

Yeah you basically have to nuke all the electoralism chat because it has for years degenerated to a nojoe safari, and it's not going to be any different anytime soon, so it gets to be an ex-conversation

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Madkal posted:

I'm kind of surprised some Republican adjacent operatives haven't gotten the idea of going into leftist online spaces and just done a bunch of posts going "if you vote for Biden you are pro-Genocide" and similar kind of posting just to stir poo poo up before the election.

This is done a lot verifiably, and also specifically targeting black communities to try to convince them for whatever reason of the day that voting Democratic is specifically morally unallowable

The goal is always to get these groups to own themselves and elect conservatives

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Shrecknet posted:

this is a good-faith question from a concerned anti-genocide but still Biden voter:

it was my understanding that the point of voting third party is to show there are substantial numbers of voters who care deeply enough to throw their vote away, so the results of

Genocide Joe 2,100,000
Genocide Don 2,080,000
Peace Party Cand 21,000

might make the losing party adopt some of the third party's positions. apologies if thus is stupid or wrong, I don't have a degree in poli-sci

It depends on what state you're in and if there's any worthwhile third parties to promote for that particular goal. The US has a handful of "perennial candidature" parties which became a waste of even a protest vote long ago. Best examples include green party and psl on the left, libertarian and any "constitutional" party on the right.

So it's not a great field for moral pressure for change in the major parties. Usually the best options for inspiring change begin at the local level, with any sort of action that can push established candidates out in favor of change candidates, or keep establishment centrists from bullying their way in. like we had to do with a literal Kennedy over here

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

FistEnergy posted:

Nope, for the record I think Trump will be just as awful on Gaza. But Trump being president again will free Democrats up to rediscover their consciences again and speak out or act against American complicity. That's why posters keep saying Trump is the harm reduction candidate when it comes to Gaza; it's not a flippant statement. Right now there is no genocide opposition party. With Trump back, that number is free to increase to one.

pushing trump back into office won't help gazans, and it won't push the democratic party to do anything else but decide they have to accede ground to rightward policy in order to survive electorally in future elections, but beyind that, a lot of people in this thread have to willingly ignore that it'll help bring genocide policy domestic for folks like me in order to seriously, mindbreakingly claim trump's the "harm reduction candidate"

it's the one belief that's come in here that goes beyond just 'regrettable but understandable' because it's wrong for just all of the worst reasons

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Baronash posted:

We absolutely don’t need another “does voting matter?” retread in the current events thread, especially while the Super Bowl is in OT. Make a thread if you desperately want to continue it.

At last ... the age of peace ...

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He took an old 1960 JFK campaign ad and photoshopped his head over JFK's body, but kept everything else and implied the entire Kennedy family was behind him.

Then, directed everyone to a website to donate money and directed them to a website with his major issues that includes sections about vaccine "choice."

i fuckin love this guy

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Bet rfk wants to be a perennial candidate

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

zoux posted:

The fact that approximately 25% of all sports related content is now gambling related, while a lesser concern than gambling pathologies, loving sucks.

What changed in law to allow this to happen?

it wormed its way in and it was half blatant half subtle, half insidious and half just kind of blundering its way in openly, and there were weird little flashpoints where it burrowed into the whole "eh i guess this is just legal now lol" status, like when there were outcome bets on elections that didn't get sufficiently pushed back on

i was working in back bay and one day before the pandemic all the sudden a 100k square foot floor in the tower got taken up by Draft Kings and hundreds and hundreds of employees were getting onboarded

and i realized looking at it that this was already pretty much a done deal that i had completely missed. internet gambling was absolutely a go and this was a forever thing already. it just pushed in through cultural inertia and lack of any political will to maintain against lobby

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Kith posted:

rip to honk honk guy, he never scored

Honk honk

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

donald trump was simultaneously convicted of 1,000 crimes and caught on fire before being devoured by velociraptors. here's why this is bad news for biden

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

haveblue posted:

Well, for one thing, that won’t cost Trump any votes

is biden's age worse than chief velociraptor's pledge to withdraw from nato and designate humans as food? tune in for our daily dems in disarray special

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Gyges posted:

Actually that probably is bad news for Biden. A large part of his appeal is not being Trump when the only other option is Trump.

you're hired. welcome to the opinion desk

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Shut up and JAM! posted:

I'm appalled anyone could willingly be part of a fascist machine that denies some of the most vulnerable parts of society their unalienable human rights to healthcare and try to justify it by casually condemning it as "poo poo sucks" all while drawing a paycheck while people are, by their own words, 100% dying.

Now if only someone would do something that actually helps these people, like sit on the internet and attack people involved in attempting stopgap aid in a wildly imperfect present day scenario.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Sir Kodiak posted:

How does that poll support that idea? I think that idea is likely true, but I don't see how that poll is evidence for it.

The cries for Biden to get out of the race are absurd—the man has striven to be president for longer than many of us have been alive; he's either dead or running—but how can a poll that doesn't offer predictive value for the election show that there's no viable successor? Do you actually think Gretchen Whitmer would get 33% of the vote in a country this polarized?

it's pretty likely that any candidate that the dems can muster in a forced replacement or emergency will not be able to garner the same voter enthusiasm that biden is likely to carry into a general election

that's not an endorsement of biden as much as it is a recognition of what the dnc does not offer, but it helps paint a clearer picture of why a whole "biden stands down" scenario is really unlikely

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Killer robot posted:

All the same it hurts the idea that the low enthusiasm on Biden's right flank can be easily fixed by replacing him with some younger, more vital Democrat.

yeah i think for that they need replacements which don't powerfully stretch the applicability of the title "more vital"

once upon a time it feels obvious that they were setting up kamala to be that More Vital inheritor but everything between then and now showed that she was never gonna have that juice

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Byzantine posted:

She had to drop out of the primary before any votes were cast because nobody liked her; she doesn't even have anti-juice because a juice/anti-juice reaction would generate energy

Lol yes

Its weird because she's not the "charisma void" template of the right, she goes about being thoroughly Ain't Got It in different ways

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

She emerged fully formed, ready made for anti drug PSA's, programmed to promise that events shall be Looked Into, from behind a podium. The Galaborn was here, a decade too late for DARE

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

"We getting outraised!" They cry

So i put a donation in the box

They take it out of the election fund and hand it to trump's court debts

"Won't someone help us, the Democrats are getting more money" they continue

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Jaxyon posted:

Though apparently they died from magical nonbinary reasons and definitely not the vicious beating.

intracranial hematoma can stealth buildup for weeks after head trauma and this family needs to trust the podunk-rear end oklahoma medical examiner exactly 0% on a determination supposedly excluding trauma, and get some additional opinion on this

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Young Freud posted:

The doctors probably recommended them to sleep it off, the absolutely worst thing you can say to someone with a head injury.

Where she is in OK is a place perfectly representative of how much more degenerated the rest of our medical system might be in a handful of years so i am NOT going to be surprised if between a ER visit and some kind of clinic or UC visit the victim never received diagnostic imaging that should be mandatory when you get your head bashed

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I need for trump to keep losing his filters and talking about black people and immigrants out loud as i give my most soul-dead gaze over the tops of my glasses to the people trying to tell me he's the harm reduction candidate

Bonus points if we get him blabbering about anyone who ain't straight

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

C. Everett Koop posted:

skin was becoming black, making him an active threat to the officers

Tiny Timbs posted:

The cops drew guns on him while on fire lmao

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m not going to post the link for obvious reasons, but a US servicemember in uniform set himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy in DC

wet_goods posted:

Username post combo

very well done people

much like aaron

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

This one made me puff out my cheeks and exhale, drat. Like it's good, but holy poo poo

yeah i saw the video and a lifetime of gallows humor as compensation for horrible realities was right there for me

if he has not died yet, he will soon, unless there's some kind of unearthly new technology in burn care i know gently caress all about

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Eric Cantonese posted:

The divide over Israel/Palestine is going to be the big media narrative now.

I really don't see how this divide gets bridged, unfortunately. You try to placate one segment and you're going to lose a lot of others, especially in the suburbs.

The only winning move is to dissemble and draw attention away from it. A curious game indeed

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

the thing i guess i really dont understand about trump's finances is that he's admitting he doesn't have the cash on hand to pay the ruling against him and would have to dissolve property

but it is also my understanding at the present bonkers rear end time that trump had been in circling cycles of debt catchup for many many years where he would leverage the poo poo out of his properties to take on debt to get money to buy new assets that also started losing money then he would leverage those properties for more cash which i guess now he definitely doesn't have

so if he doesn't have the money, and all the properties are leveraged to the tits ... what is exactly happening, like what can he do, what goes down

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Google Jeb Bush posted:

it'll eat everything in his estate (and any attempts to evade same) until his creditors are made whole. a regular person with 400k in debt doesn't drive their kids into penury

can the legal system take property that was collateral to previous loans trump has and if so what does that DO to those loans, do they immediately become due and it becomes an asset dissolving piranha orgy between the state creditors and the private creditors

what's the tipping off point for this house of cards poo poo

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I think we've had enough "who should you vote for" chat here for today.

I vote for this guy

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

sinema's decisionmaking was so recklessly bad and eventually so blindly self absorbed that even the people who were like "i guess she doing this for the sinecure" had to watch her really limit how much she could cash out for when all was said and done

i finally settled on "dumb and so goddamned crazy" as an explanation because she wore through all the potential other defenses or secret battlemind strategies that would have validated any of the constant dumbshit she did

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

quote:

won't endorse Trump yet

ah yes the standard operating procedure we remember from the conservatism in denial phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Google Jeb Bush posted:

here's another program that the Biden admin is pretty proud of: a parole program where people from an evolving list of countries in the Americas that particularly suck to be stuck in, up to 360k a year currently, can receive a special work visa

https://www.uscis.gov/CHNV

we immediately used it to drag over multiple family members and prevent them from dying at home. it is an amazing program, full stop

If trump wins and kills it off with all the prejudice they can muster (which is a lot) then these family members will be returned to die in a warzone failed country which is currently being taken over by a guy named Barbeque