Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the greatest love story in video games?
This poll is closed.
Tidus & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 14 7.37%
Wakka & Lulu (Final Fantasy X) 8 4.21%
Wakka & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 1 0.53%
Lulu & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 13 6.84%
Rikku & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 3 1.58%
Kimahri & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 2 1.05%
Tidus & Ifrit (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Yuna & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Wakka & Wakka (Final Fantasy X) 70 36.84%
Auron & Kimahri (Final Fantasy X) 23 12.11%
Kimahri & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 15 7.89%
Yuna & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 9 4.74%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zokari posted:

their decision to pronounce tidus in the most insane way while also ensuring no one ever actually says his name was truly inspired

It's based on an Okanawan word meaning Sun, just like Yuna's is based on Moon. It resembling the English word Tide is just one of those things.

(It probably actually should be Tida/Tiida but a trailer guy mispronounced the name and so they stuck with it according to Tidus' voice actor. So it's the result of a mistranslation but the mistranslation is the "Us" part, not the Teeda part.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

no that's a different character

Please don't bully my sad lesbian daughter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

obviously i meant the non-mmo games!!!!!!!!!

Voice acting really just makes it much harder to do unless you slap your character with a convenient title.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

has anyone tried pay to lose yet?

That's life, my friend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why would you buy The Witness for $40 when you can get its superior version for free?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1985690/The_Looker/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress "games as a service" means beyond "bad" - like what is the actual "service" part? I'm not doing a bit, I straight up have no idea what it actually means/is intended to be beyond presumably some way to get more money from people while offering a worse experience? How any of that works I have no idea, I assume they design the game to be frustratingly slow to progress in or just put you on a treadmill with the odd chance to gain something useful to keep people coming back for more? Something to do with "currencies" that are like orange/purple/green etc? Is it like an MMO? One of those gacha things?

I'm old and I play single player games, somebody help me out here!

The idea is that rather than a game being one-and-done it continues to add new content over time. This usually is connected to loot and such because 'constant influx of cool new gear' is one of the things that works for games that go full GaS and succeed.

And the reason why people keep chasing it is because if you succeed you become Fortnite.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Attack on Princess posted:

Gaas means they double down on DLC and season passes. You are right to be confused, since a lot of big games do DLC and season passes anyway without claiming to have Gaas.

GaS and DLC/Season Pass are not usually the same thing. GaS is designed around you getting a constant influx of new free content but oh hey we also have this BATTLEPASS where you can unlock bonus stuff and it's only $29.99 to dress your character up as a unicorn. Basically the big difference is that DLC/SP are their own thing where you just pay and get it, GaS is something you can theoretically play for free but they do everything they can to encourage you to drop money on 'non-essential' stuff. They kind of depend on having the people who play for 'free' to bolster the people who pay money since nobody wants to whale in a game everyone stopped playing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clones are awesome as long as they feel like something with effort put into them. I've played plenty of Slay the Spire clones and there's a clear gap between "We have our own take on this" and "This is just Slay the Spire but you are a ninja instead and otherwise it has the exact same mechanics and wording" and I think it's possible to both like the former and roll your eyes at the latter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with similar wordings between games
This card effect is exactly like Haste from magic the gathering except here it's called uhhhh Rapidness. Also it's not Flying, it's Airborne

I don't mind it in cases where it makes sense but it's very silly where it's bluntly a mechanic designed around a specific flavor and they keep the term even if the flavor changes.

On the other hand we've all continued to use QTEs long past the point of relevance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The yellow paint thing bugs the hell out of me because it's like... oh no, clear distinct language that makes it easy to instantly identify something? How could video games do this! This is totally unique and new and not the reason every loving explosive box/barrel/container/etc is bright red in 90% of video games because people have identified that bright red = explodes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also complaining about Final Fantasy 7 having big obvious signs pointing towards important things is particularly silly when the original game had this:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chev posted:

First, it used to be done diegetically, ie the red barrels were the in-game Red Barrel: We explode'em good! brand. It's done in real life, we make dangerous or important stuff bright colors so people will notice them. We put signs around them, leading to them, we put decals on them. We do not apply random splotches of paint. And because it works diegetically and also like that in real life, this prompts the inverse reaction: who's the goober who went around painting cliffs in yellow?

Second, it's the detective vision problem: those objects need to be highlighted in intrusive way because they didn't think of using the non-intrusive way. There's a whole bunch of tricks, in cinema, art and gaming, designed to direct the attention of the viewer or player and highlight specific objects, and yellow paint games just don't use them. Like, why do those climbable rocks look so much like the non-climbable ones that you have to apply splotches of paint? Because the art director's poo poo, that's why. Different rock colors, different values, different lighting, different texture, surrouding layout, there's so much stuff they could've used,tricks invented centuries ago, usually during renaissance. But of course underpaid and overworked artists just aren't taught them properly.

No they weren't. Red barrels were just red barrels, occasionally with flammable on them. There was nothing 'diagetic' about them. Red barrels were explosive because red barrels being explosive was the language the games used and continue to use. They were not realistic or even generally explained beyond Explode. There's plenty of other examples of language in gaming that is absolutely 100% unrealistic but we've grown to accept, ranging from 'shotguns are short range and powerful' to 'a glowing thing is probably something you should shoot.' Nobody gives bosses a glowing eyeball weak point because they consider it realistic.

And as far as the second part goes: No, the were not 'invented centuries ago' because video games are a fairly modern creation and the visual language of movies or pictures doesn't apply to them. Figuring out the exact language that makes them work is still an ongoing process and unlike most things you have to deal with the fact that your audience in a game will have control over things which means you can't depend on some obvious tricks of design that a movie can to draw attention.

And it isn't like we haven't had years of this and countless different examples to point to. Designated climbing points look artificial no matter what they try because they have to stand out and be recognizable as a matter of design.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

What about red in mirrors edge?

Red isn't exclusively used for explosives of course and in the case of Mirror's Edge it was used because the game was about quickly running from location to location without stopping and they needed an eyecatching instantly visible color to make it clear where your next interaction could be. It's not 'realistic' but it isn't trying to be because it's a video game.

Like "bright color that shows interactable' isn't anything new.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chev posted:

We do use eyeball weakpoints because yes, poking something in the eye is in fact consistently painful and disabling. Even animals know to go for the eyes.

Shooting someone anywhere is painful and disabling if not fatal and shooting someone in the eye would be 'more damaging' because the brain tends to be directly behind it, unlike video games where shooting the eyeball in someone's shoulder will damage them more.

Chev posted:

Even if that particular bias had existed in the first place it turns out there's more than 20 years of GDC presentations and papers that tell us that no, this stuff is all applicable. Some of them by Valve, even!

Yes, and a lot of them point out explicitly how difficuilt it is to guide players and assure they notice things and how it realism is not always the end goal of design. Non-yellow guidance markers are not actually any less artificial and fake looking because video games use artificial design elements to guide players.

Yellow markers are certainly not the only way to do it but lol at the idea that "every wall you can wall run across is conveniently scratched and dented as if thousands of people have wall run across it" is somehow more realistic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

actually yes
videogame-rear end arrows, guide lines, or just highlighting interactable stuff with a bright outline when you get close to it are better than fake rear end "diegetic" paint that tries to look like a natural part of the game world and completely fails at it

So to be clear here, you would prefer if all the climbable objects glowed bright yellow if you looked at them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, that bums me out so hard. Dude was only 55.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think in the original game it was intended to look like a weird alien rather than just Lara W/ Bacon, but the remake pretty much just went full bacon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

stev posted:

You can play Mario, Pikmin, Pokèmon, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing on your phone. What more do you want?

All microtransaction and gatcha games to be shot into the sun and the creation of more to be punishable by death?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Someone could push him down a flight of steps and everyone would say he tripped.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I've got the Black & White sea shanty completely lodged in my brain

ohhhhhh we've got this notion that we'd quite like to sail the ocean

What the loving poo poo, I played Black & White for like 10 minutes two decades ago, how in the bloody hell do I remember that with perfect clarity?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If RE2 is "Oh gently caress! You!" RE3 is "Oh, gently caress YOU."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean it makes sense for the first game (more or less) and then you've just got name brand recognition my friend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fez_machine posted:

Mankind Divide also had a very unappealing story concept of "what if cybernetically augmented people were poor and discriminated against?" Which makes no sense when traditionally, in Deus Ex, augments are rare, desirable and expensive.

Plus the marketing stressed similarities to Black Lives Matters.

Eh, I think you can make it work if you emphasize the difference between the cheapest of the cheap poo poo vs the actual good stuff. People who had to get augs because of injuries/disabilities/etc and now find themselves locked into effectively eternal slavery to keep their body from rejecting itself combined with even lovely augments having enough advantages that people feel like they need to get them to get a job (despite them being lovely, dangerous and awful) would be a pretty ripe subject for social commentary for people who are both forced to destroy themselves in the pursuit of capitalism.

Metal Gear Revengence actually touches on something like this, where cybernetics have gotten cheap enough that people can afford to get it, but they're expensive enough that you basically end up owned, and 90% of the people just have "it works okay as long as I get regular medication and service" and not Raiden's super loving insano exoskeleton with a dedicated team of people monitoring him.

DE just didn't really make it work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Sorry but if you're Will Smith but not that one then you have to change your name. He won, you lost.

"Will Smith (not from After Earth)" is a mark of honor though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

I liked Ender Lilies :smith:

Ender Lilies is better than Hollow Knight. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The trailer says "a closed network test will be held, details later"
So it sounds like it's gonna have online co-op? Did the older gundam breaker games have that

Yep. GB3's online is still super active, last time I went on people were making Rising Freedom Gundam from Seed Freedom and such.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

drat my neck hurts from the whiplash of HELL YEAH gotta buy UNICORN OVERLORD whatever it is, to looking it up and seeing a bunch of fire emblem rejects and no goddamn unicorns on the cover.

Is this game even about being a Unicorn in a position of power?

It sounds like the game you're looking for is Wildshade: Unicorn Champions

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

opencritic put up a top scores wall for 2024 so far

Ys X Nordics has an 84 OC so it will be joining that wall soon

Persona 3 reload has an 88%, why isn't it on there?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

No remasters allowed.

Rebirth is right there so I doubt that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

it's a remake

Right, but so is Reload. It's remade from the ground up, it's not just an updated Remaster. It's akin to RE4make rather than P3P HD which WAS a remaster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

the secret of balatro is, it is barely a game about poker, if you're just playing poker you are setting yourself up for failure. success is almost totally dictated by your build and, one part of your build just happens to be which poker hands you'd like to focus on. but like, saying "im set up to just play two pairs for the next 30 minutes" is an act of madness from the perspective of poker

More to the point anything higher than a Flush is a massive waste of time outside of insanely unlikely Joker/Tarot combos, because the balance for higher-end stuff kind of sucks and by the time you can reliably get them you've probably already boosted your Flush/Pair/High cards much higher than the reward for the 'harder' hands. it is unironically a game where a royal flush usually sucks worse than a regular flush.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Balatro is fun but I just like it less the more I play it.

A big part of the frustrating is that unlocks tend to make the game harder because they dilute your draw pool significantly while so many Jokers are so insanely specifically specialized that you're just getting more likely to draw something that is entirely useless. While this can be a problem in other roguelikes, it's a lot more noticeable in Balatro because if you get a weird unlock in Slay the Spire it still can have use while any Joker that isn't specifically for your build is probably entirely useless.

Likewise as mentioned before the support for more complex hands is basically just not there. The choice to make Royal/Straight Flushes their own distinct hand instead of some kind of bonus to existing Straight/Flushes is a huge misstep because it actively makes them a penalty instead of a cool bonus, especially since a lot of the cards that modify Straights or Flushes don't count the higher level version. Unless you're getting a bunch of poo poo Planets then you're not going to invest your upgrades in stuff you barely draw. Straight Flushes are slightly better since it's pretty easy to convert everything to a single suite but by the point you get there you're more likely to have boosted your Flush higher than your Straight Flush anyway, so it can end up a net negative!

The early game kind of sucks since getting good skips on the first or second hand basically can carry you for half the run, and since there's no 'reward' mechanic there's little reason not to just savescum until you get a good start. It doesn't take long (like 20 seconds tops) but it really drags things down when the difference between a good start and a bad start is astronomical compared to other similar games.

It's still really fun to make a stupid deck full of nothing but shiny heart Aces with insane multipliers but there's just enough that nags at me that I hope they find some way to fix. It kind of drags the fun out of the game for me when I get a fantastic draw of cool supportive cards and realize they are five times as much effort as just maxing Two Pair would be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volte posted:

Royal Flushes aren't their own hand (they are called out by name but it's still just a Straight Flush in scoring and not mentioned on the hand info page) but otherwise I agree that the higher hands seem pointless to build towards. It feels like it should be balanced around the scored cards containing the hands (like Jokers tend to) as opposed to being the primary scored hand. Once you upgrade one type of hand even a little bit, playing a "better" hand becomes actively worse.

Oh, you're right, not sure why I thought that, I think I just gloss over Royal Flush in general.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love the AI generated smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like... gamer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The year is 2037. Humanity is on the brink of extinction. The disasterous aftermath of Water War II has left the scattered remains of the once great species struggling for survival. Most consider the long-ago days of peace and security naught but a dream. The decaying remains of the internet contains but a single article:

Switch Pro delayed to 2038, rumored to be launching alongside new Pokemon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Hell yeah new Legends game

I keep thinking people are talking about Mega Man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

If they're firing that shot, they think they have cause that can overturn the precedent set by the Bleem lawsuit. So yeah, they're hosed.

Most emulators pretty bluntly don't include any links to how you can get the decryption keys so I wonder if that was the particular thing that hosed them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

The lawsuit directly points to their Patreon gaining money the week of Tears of the Kingdom's release, so there's a "you're directly profiting from this" aspect to it too.

Oh lol. Yeah, that'd do it.

It is incredible how often "don't make money off this poo poo in any way that can be directly connected to you" is something people just don't get.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Looks like poo poo and "systems"

I am genuinely impressed you managed to decide something looks like poo poo based off literally zero gameplay footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I think it is a reasoned position to have for any pokemon game after the last 2 entries.

Not really, no. You said the game looks like poo poo, not "it probably will be poo poo based off their last games." Either you believed that was gameplay footage (lol) or you didn't watch it and declared it looked like poo poo anyway (double lol)