Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I can't wait to see Sephiroth rebirth ending spoilers smash the buster sword. In the trailer it's heavily damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Are there any pre order bonuses for this?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Thinking of playing this section as a first timer is wild. Seeing Tifa's reactions without knowing that instead of her thinking forward in the story its her going "Cloud wasn't there how does he know this?!".
Wondering why one of the guards sound so familiar, wondering why Cloud is so chipper. Maybe first time people will think it's because he's so young and he got so stiff after this happened.

Yeah let's just say that part 2 will start to address what Cloud went through between Nibelheim and present day and you get the full story in part 3. He's gone through a lot of poo poo. Every final fantasy 7 main character has significant heartache in their backstory. But Cloud easily got the worst of it.

Edit: I misread your post.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 7, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cartridgeblowers posted:

The only bonus for preordering is an accessory, I believe

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/aitaikimochi/status/1755127424558469356?s=46

Director is nervous how rebirth will be received

$10 says Tifa dies

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Steve Yun posted:

$10 says Tifa dies

My prediction (based on nothing other than how fully featured he felt) is that Cloud dies/becomes the villain and Sephiroth joins the party

I'll bet nothing on this prediction.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Okay it's all cool so far but the nibelheim scene with 4 guys surrounding sephiroth with guns and as each one is very slowly killed but not one of them shoot even once is dumb and funny.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It'll be full on dead Cloud with a quest to go revive him like in Chrono-Trigger for part 3

Man going on Youtube from a week or two from now is going to be fraught!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Red XIII can play soccer with a bunch of Actual Dogs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Thinking of playing this section as a first timer is wild. Seeing Tifa's reactions without knowing that instead of her thinking forward in the story its her going "Cloud wasn't there how does he know this?!".
Wondering why one of the guards sound so familiar, wondering why Cloud is so chipper. Maybe first time people will think it's because he's so young and he got so stiff after this happened.

They literally rereleased Crisis Core including it rebranding in the Remake name style. It isn't supposed to be a secret

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ImpAtom posted:

They literally rereleased Crisis Core including it rebranding in the Remake name style. It isn't supposed to be a secret

Nah that's not what I'm saying, just imagine you are seeing Niebelheim for the first time ever, is what I mean, though even someone who has followed these releases, from FF7 Remake to CC to this I'm sure will be even more intrigued. Ever Crisis players too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Nah that's not what I'm saying, just imagine you are seeing Niebelheim for the first time ever, is what I mean, though even someone who has followed these releases, from FF7 Remake to CC to this I'm sure will be even more intrigued. Ever Crisis players too

No, I mean Crisis Core covers the Nibelheim part. If you've been following the remake line of games as they come out you've already seen the 'unaltered' version of it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Steve Yun posted:

$10 says Tifa dies

Genesis kills Aerith this time.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Levantine posted:

My prediction (based on nothing other than how fully featured he felt) is that Cloud dies/becomes the villain and Sephiroth joins the party

I'll bet nothing on this prediction.

Mine is that Zack joins the party for part 3. he's there at Juno helping the gang escape/ he needs to be freed by Tifa. he replaced Cloud's combat abilities while Cloud is sidelined/maybe villain.
that adds a ton of depth for the party to explore the world for part 3 that also gives us enough content to match or surpass what it seems we are getting in part 2.
also non zero chance the weapons gently caress up the world so we get a ff6 style post apocalyptic destroyed world to explore in 3.

I like yours though

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Rhonne posted:

I like this too.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i'm assuming that cloud kills aeristh like he almost does in the original like 5 seconds before sephiroth shows up

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Rhonne posted:

With a golf club. And then the rest of the game is about him and how relatable he is.

On a more serious note, I've been experimenting with Sephiroth and it seems the game doesn't punish you for mashing square while in his parry stance. Still, his dodge is so good you don't even need to block .

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looking forward to people modding to replacing Cait Sith with Sephiroth. In cutscenes too so Sephiroth talks and acts like a 2 foot tall cartoon cat.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Would make all the shippers happy with the Cloud riding Cait Sith combination attack

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

cock hero flux posted:

i'm assuming that cloud kills aeristh like he almost does in the original like 5 seconds before sephiroth shows up

This is my prediction as well.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

cock hero flux posted:

Massive spoiler from the trailer

There's what looks to be an attempt by Cloud at intercepting Sephiroth, but if you go frame-by-frame, a few things stand out: the whispers are still there; there's some green, magical light around the hilt of the Buster Sword, and he also looks like he'd be a fraction of a second too late. Now whether or not Sephiroth is actually trying to skewer Aerith at that exact moment in time, who knows.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ImpAtom posted:

No, I mean Crisis Core covers the Nibelheim part. If you've been following the remake line of games as they come out you've already seen the 'unaltered' version of it.

Yeah, exactly, so I can imagine players going "Wth, why is Cloud pretending to be Zack?"

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Is this for baseless speculation? God I love baseless speculation. My Doritos® Bold Move™ predictions sponsored by Frito-Lay© in no particular order:

One of the major themes of the Remake was this throughline of hoping for better. The party, and Aerith, could have chosen the path of adhering to FF7's original narrative, which would guarantee Sephiroth's defeat at extremely great cost, and instead chose to defy it. The subtext is that Aerith and Sephiroth each have either some kind of precognitive ability or an awareness of what the timeline "should be," and are essentially competing for a more favorable outcome than OG FF7 afforded to either of them. To that end, I expect that at least two major storyline differences will be catastrophic — I'm pretty convinced that one of the party will permanently die, and that it won't be Aerith for maximum pathos, so that we can have her angst about whether she made the right decision about defying Fate and the Whispers. My guess is that Tifa eats it.

I don't know if Zack is supposed to be concurrently running around with Cloud, or exactly what that would mean (some kind of dimensional overlap?), but assuming it isn't just some alternate past, Zack will assume Cloud's role in the party mechanically at some point, probably after Cloud falls into one of his mind control fugue states — instead of Aerith leaving to go to the City of the Ancients, Cloud will depart. Zack will not take over as the protagonist of the team, though; Aerith will, though it'll be mostly an ensemble. At the climax of this game, or as the lead-in to the third, Cloud's Buster Sword will be damaged or broken, and either Zack will give Cloud his Buster Sword (again?) or we'll see the debut of the Fusion Sword, maybe made out of the remains of Cloud's version of the Buster Sword.

Speaking of Zack, I wonder if we're going to get a Dark Tower narrative undercurrent for him, where he is alive in a world that exists as if he died, or if his being around means Crisis Core's ending/the Zack flashback played out differently. I'm guessing it's the former, because Zack has the Buster Sword in the trailer when he's cradling Aerith. My guess is that this "people are alive but the Planet/time exists as if they did or should have died" will be reiterated with Biggs (and Jessie and/or Wedge, in the unlikely event that they're still alive).

While I think that, as the second in a trilogy, Rebirth will end on a profoundly downer/downbeat ending for our heroes (they have to reach their lowest point, after all), the message of the Remake and the philosophy of its narrative are such that I think we're going to get a golden ending by the time the third game finishes, up to and including a redemption for Sephiroth.

e: spoilering this I guess? I'm not sure what the spoiler policy is for the OG FF7, but a lot of the Remake and even the demo for Rebirth hinges upon you having played it. The telegraphs that Cloud is one of the Security Forces grunts are plentiful, including glimpses of his hair underneath the helmet, his voice being remarkably similar, his protection of Tifa when the monsters attack, and his truncated "Mo—" right as you enter the burning remains of Claudia's house. Tifa and Cloud's weird exchanges mid-flashback, and Tifa acting strangely while Cloud recounts his story, are maybe subtle, but the rest is certainly way more overt than the telegraphs were in OG FF7, because in OG FF7 it's treated as a twist reveal that was intended to be hidden from the player until Mideel; Rebirth is making it as un-secret as possible, it feels like.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 7, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Zack being the voice of the Shinra infantryman and Tifa just going "no, go on..." trying to puzzle out what the hell this man is talking about over the demo is so good. Cloud's being sooooo cringe and he doesn't even know it yet!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

Zack being the voice of the Shinra infantryman and Tifa just going "no, go on..." trying to puzzle out what the hell this man is talking about over the demo is so good. Cloud's being sooooo cringe and he doesn't even know it yet!

Cloud is incapable of being cringe. When he does something he does it wholeheartedly. Fighting, motorcycle fights, dancing, dress wearing, squats, he does it all.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I aint got no dang time for a demo, I gotta finish Infinite Wealth first.

Jesus, I'm going on a dead sprint RPG marathon.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Despite playing through Remake last month I've still put enough time into Granblue since its release that it completely ruined me in the demo. No, dodge is not R2. In my hands Sephiroth is a clown.

Can't wait for it to happen in reverse once I go back to Relink post-updates, after Rebirth and DD2.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Welp, the only version of the demo available in my region is bugged to show no text in menus unless I install Korean or Chinese, in which case it displays all menus in traditional Chinese no matter what option I select. At least the acting is in English and I can read the Chinese (painfully slowly), but I really wish Japanese publishers/studios didn’t do poo poo like this (not bitter about only being able to play Elden Ring in Chinese).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Welp, the only version of the demo available in my region is bugged to show no text in menus unless I install Korean or Chinese, in which case it displays all menus in traditional Chinese no matter what option I select. At least the acting is in English and I can read the Chinese (painfully slowly), but I really wish Japanese publishers/studios didn’t do poo poo like this (not bitter about only being able to play Elden Ring in Chinese).

From another thread:

univbee posted:

Minor point that's unlikely to be an issue for anyone here, but for some reason they're doing a separate SKU for Chinese-speaking territories (e.g. Hong Kong, Taiwan) and South Korea. These regions will have two distinct copies of the game:

One will have text in Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Korean (so no English, Japanese etc. text).
The other will have text in English, Japanese, and all the European languages (same as the copies sold in Japan, the Americas and Europe)

All copies will have audio in English, Japanese, French and German.

Just be careful if you live in these territories so you don't get stuck with a SKU that isn't playable with English text (there is no cross-buy or anything between them).

This hopefully means you can pick up a copy of the full game that has the correct text, but you'll have to make sure it's the right version.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Vitamean posted:

Despite playing through Remake last month I've still put enough time into Granblue since its release that it completely ruined me in the demo. No, dodge is not R2. In my hands Sephiroth is a clown.

Can't wait for it to happen in reverse once I go back to Relink post-updates, after Rebirth and DD2.
Not me mashing L1 to Lock On and being enraged that it isn't working, or opening the ATB menu every time I try to dodge roll

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I know you get some gewgaws if you preorder from a store; IIRC Best Buy is a steelbook, Target is a controller skin/sticker thing, GameStop is a hat.

As for in-game, I think standard edition is a bangle, and digital deluxe edition/ DD Twin Pack is

I've seen mention of a Moogle Trio summon, but I think that might be just the collectors edition that also included a Sephiroth statue.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Moogle Trio summoning materia comes from preordering on PSN, it looks like.

btw, down at the bottom of the store description they mention that you get a Leviathan and Ramuh summoning materia for having a Remake and INTERmission save file on your console, respectively. Doesn't specify a clear save, so if you did them on PC or PS4 and didn't transfer your save you can probably just spin a new one up and leave it at that.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

ImpAtom posted:

A bunch of Rebirth let's plays Chapter One's with someone who only played Remake and Crisis Core Reunion:

'Wait, where's Genesis? He's supposed to be there!'

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The new overworld battle theme is nutty, I can't believe the game is less than a month away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Dt1lrX4es

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Arist posted:

The only bonus for preordering is an accessory, I believe

The PlayStation store lists a summon materia called Moogle Trio as a preorder bonus for the digital deluxe edition. I think you also get a bangle of some kind?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just finished watching the State of Play. I'm confused about how this game is a thing, so soon after Infinite Wealth also being a thing. 2023 and 2024 have really been some amazing game years (even though it's only a couple months into the latter).

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I watched that State of Play trailer and almost screamed when I saw Barret in the sailor suit, but also!

Mr. Dolphin!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Just started playing. I love it already.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Does the game look a bit washed out to anyone else? I can't tell if it's just because Nibelheim is inherently grey or if it's an actual issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I mean, it's right next to a Mako reactor which literally drains the life from the area, so I think it's probably just that and not the game as a whole.