Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
agreed that yuffie's lack of agency was grating in the dlc. she was basically being pulled on a string by scarlet to get to the final act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
reeve is a civil engineer in a c-suite comprised mainly of elon musk/erik prince/latter-day howard hughes hybrids, and also hojo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hearing they patched out aerith’s “steel sky” closing line in R1 to a more literal translation that sucks rear end (both the new line and the act of changing it)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
“The sky… I don’t like it.” :geno:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

that subtext was all in the original line tbh

plus it had some nice poetical flourish and served as a touching metaphor for leaving behind the safe confines of what was known and familiar, matching the aim of the remake itself

bad move, bad form

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kongming posted:

When did this happen. I just finished Remake two days ago and she said steel sky line the same as ever. That is lame as hell if they actually did that lol.

two days ago, in fact!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
not to mention doing it in such a stiff and artless way. persona 5-rear end localization

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
having some trouble grasping how Synergy attacks work. the tutorials say that certain duo attacks build up the relevant meters but i don't see the symbol it's pointing out anywhere

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
way better than just silently begging an enemy to clock you with their particular skill, for sure

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the flame on red's tail is real (he scorches barret with it in the last game) but i assume he knows by now how to get around without setting anything alight

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am kinda understanding of the whole "wounded walk" thing to emphasize focusing on your environment when poo poo is going down but the L2 R2 where they wait patiently for you to hit the button before doing anything and otherwise they just stand there indefinitely was lmao

agreed, it was very silly

in the mythril mines now and it's safe to say that the "yellow paint" furor was overblown, though there wasn't much doubt about that in the first place. i've only seen it on that single outcropping texture so far

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’ve also just reached the Junon region and with the way this place looks I half expect to see pilot C4-621 flying overhead

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you can point at most things in this game and go "thank god this wasn't like FF16" really

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the queensblood/yugioh comparisons were perhaps a little more appropriate than i first thought

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished chapter four and i need to have a lie down

BOYS! GIMME ONE WITH A BEAT!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
would anyone happen to have a quick summary of what goes down in Ever Crisis, because i doubt i can look it up myself without running into a wall of spoilers

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
23 hours for me, just got off the ship

spoilers for certain events that take place on said ship: red was a right bastard of a card player for someone without opposable thumbs, mainly because he uses the same strategy i assume most players do (overrun the board as early as possible and fortify your lanes afterward). i was spoiled on his intro but not on every detail of it and that was some surreal physical comedy

one more piece of evidence for him being more feline than canine is every so often a switch in his brain flips and he goes "i'm silly now"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lakbay posted:

I know she was like this in the OG, but Yuffie's introduction gave me mild second hand embarrassment

yuffie’s probably gotten the most drastic rewrite from her original version so far (haven’t seen cid/cait/vincent yet). in the OG she was a self-serving klepto whose loyalty to her homeland was a secondary consideration to Stealing All the Things. her avalanche fangirling and general pluckiness are new

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

Speaking of, what was your strat for the fourth match?

Like, it's cute that they brought in the minigame from Intergrade. But heavily limiting your options, removing magic as a panic button, giving Greg a ton of stuff you don't, and putting it on a hard timer compared to Intergrade letting you win by having more towers is bullshit.

i used the fourth board, base defense or whatever it was called, with cloud and tifa as the heroes and set down ballistae at the two chokepoints while blitzing the other side of the map with everything i had. there's still an element of luck in how fast you get to gilgamesh before he can overwhelm you with his specialty units, but the ballistae help chip away at invaders and distract them if they get past your units. once everything converged on greg i summoned another ballista right across from him, along with two clerics and more ranged units. the clerics kept all my melee characters alive while the ranged stayed far enough away so they wouldn't get caught in his Stop spell

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

a win's a win!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh my loving god, costa del sol

that split-second crack in Red’s voice at the beach, he’s been doing a bit this entire time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like I'm misunderstanding something about the targeting system.

I just struggled with one of the Junon combat simulations (the one with all the fliers), partly because I'd be wailing on a staggered enemy and then, out of nowhere, my target which change and my character would launch themselves towards another enemy. But the original enemy was still alive.

Is there some weird quirk to the lock-on function? It definitely doesn't actually lock-on; my target changes constantly when I'm locked on. It makes me think I'm missing something.

the default targeting is very bad. go into the options and adjust it so that you can only switch targets with the d-pad and make the camera follow whoever you target

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, really starting to hate the last stage of Fort Condor. It's probably not actually the case, but I can't help getting the feeling that the commander's troops are always stronger than mine and that he can summon as many of him as he likes. The one time I got close to whittling his health down, apparently at random, he decided to stop time.

nothing random about it, that stop spell is his trump card. you need to have ranged units and clerics on standby so they can attack outside the spell's area of effect

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, I meant that it was random that I managed to whittle him down at all, and it seems equally random whether I'll have any units, either.

Is there a secret to using clerics to keep your guys up? Basically everything seems to vanish immediately once there's a guy from the opposite side of the weapon triangle in the mix.

i only used clerics during that final stretch on the final map, when there wasn't anything left to nuke my units except the commander. posted my strategy earlier today

Oxxidation posted:

i used the fourth board, base defense or whatever it was called, with cloud and tifa as the heroes and set down ballistae at the two chokepoints while blitzing the other side of the map with everything i had. there's still an element of luck in how fast you get to gilgamesh before he can overwhelm you with his specialty units, but the ballistae help chip away at invaders and distract them if they get past your units. once everything converged on greg i summoned another ballista right across from him, along with two clerics and more ranged units. the clerics kept all my melee characters alive while the ranged stayed far enough away so they wouldn't get caught in his Stop spell

to add on, cloud and tifa will vaporize pretty much everything around them when summoned, so they're good for clearing a particularly clogged chokepoint in a pinch

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now the next one is this stupid "Prevent them from flying while they do an ability that repeatedly knocks down your whole party" lol.

This is where MAI is getting annoying, did you know their talons can pierce through solid stone

blizzard magic and lots of it. aerith is best because she can build atb at a distance

that's the only challenge i've run into so far that got me spitting mad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Frankston posted:

Is there some way to permanently show weaknesses on an enemy I've scanned?

I hate having to assess every enemy every battle because I can't remember what every single enemy is weak to.

just press the touchpad and you can view their info without assessing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
made it to gold saucer, and there are many things I can comment on, but one in particular is that catty bitch Reeve sabotaged Palmer’s suite in particular. Cait is his tiny Scottish id

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I really need the option to turn it off. I'd love to get that minigame done but that's not happening.

you can. go into gameplay options, trigger settings are near the bottom of the list. it's set to 3 by default, going to 0 disables it

for the crunch minigame, i had to disable those and all the music and voices just so i could focus enough to clear the final round

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
me whenever cait sith acts like he's in mortal peril with the rest of the party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G2K4XV8qqc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the end of chapter 8. what a rollercoaster, huh

dyne's scenes might have been the best performance of the game thus far, though for all the tilt-a-whirl mood whiplash that followed, the part i took issue with most was the squad of shinra troopers that materialized just in time to give him an issue-free death. i get they didn't have a convenient cliffside this time, but those guys just ninja'd through a solid sheetmetal wall

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 4, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Finished the Costa del Sol chapter.

That was fun, but I'm kind of disappointed in the way that our heroes have made it clear that they're the Terrorists Who Don't Murder Anybody,* even Barrett. Hojo spent the entire chapter oozing sexual menace to a bunch of women, but we're letting him go because "we've done enough" and then stare at the sunset wondering if hating him makes us a bad person just because he kept two of us prisoner for several years.

This is one of the areas where I feel like Rebirth's mastery of tone falls apart.

*except for nameless mooks, we kill those all the time without a care

Anyway, I love Red XIII; he's the breakout character of 2024.

when barret said "we've done enough" i got the feeling that he meant their presence had already attracted one shinra military unit to the town, and killing hojo would mean they'd firebomb the entire place in retaliation

he's had personal experience with that kind of thing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

For good or ill, at the moment they're trying to avoid bringing Shinra down on them. Rufus was already basically willing to let them go and deal with Sephiroth and they (fairly correct) decided that they want to avoid being in direct conflict with Shinra if they can at least until the literal world-ending threat is handled. Murdering Shinra's top scientist, no matter how justified, is what gets them moved from "Some wanted posters" to "Top priority."

with all the worries about making avalanche too soft and cuddly in mind, i appreciated in chapter 7 how cloud's reasoning for barret's innocence wasn't "he would never kill these people" but "he would never be this subtle about it"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

Posting real quick to say game rules and is really quite funny. This is also just a Xenoblade game, they are strikingly similar in game design.

The loving bit with (Chapter 6) Jules showing up and immediately giving me a traumatic stress response but it turns out his quest is to just clear a bunch of monsters NOPE DO CRUNCHES RIGHT NOW loving sent me for a loop. I found this one much easier though, at least.

I have a pathological need to get all the rewards from mini-games and I'm terrified that THIS is the one that makes me vomit blood. So far so good though!

I'm glad Tifa is just as fun (and strong) as FF7R1 because she's been glued to my player slot as much as possible. No one else even feels close to as satisfying to me. I just got Yuffie and I'm kind of lost as to what to do with her, though I am astounded she more or less brought her entire Intermission moveset with her. That's great!

yuffie is a glass cannon who can exploit the full gamut of elemental weaknesses at a distance and then rip enemies apart up close when they stagger, though it takes her like two full combos to pressure anything with her ninjutsu. she might not have quite as much damage potential as a high-skill tifa but she also doesn't require as much work to build momentum

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
minigames are good actually

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fezball posted:

I managed all the other minigames I've encountered so far well enough, but the half-press trigger on this one is absolute bullshit - I can land that maybe 30% of the time, no way I'm ever doing it 5+ times in one go like the last stage wants me to :argh:

This really should have a difficulty setting for minigames, as is a lot of them are way overtuned.

jules is the rock upon which lesser men are broken

took me an embarrassing number of retries to figure out that half press prompt though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

D.Fuzzbot posted:

I just did jules with 0 mistakes and still lost, jesus why?

you need to go at the fastest possible pace as well. he always finishes with around 50 crunches total

it was the same in Remake but the triggers are way harder for me to hit that fast, I had to step away for a while because I could feel an old RSI acting up

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you should spoiler that post

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is the reward for Fort Condor Hard Mode really just some party exp? I might still do it because fort condor is fun.

there's also a trinket and a trophy attached to it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

On a writing note, I'm so impressed by the love triangle stuff so far. Cloud and Tifa are spikey and uncomfortable when they're alone together, you can feel how much history there is and how they've both hurt each other in the past and how much each one matters to the other and how they're terrified of actually facing that because holy poo poo, it'll hurt so much, any honest talk would require acknowledging all the bleeding wounds they've still got that they're both trying very hard to ignore. And on the flip side, everything about Aerith is easy. She's always happy to hang out with you, she thinks you're great, whatever you want to do is great, the way you are right now is great, any decisions you make are great, she's gonna be perky and flirty and always supportive of you no matter what. Which makes her feel fake. She's a magical girlfriend, she's wish fufilment, this is not a real relationship. Cloud and Tifa feel very real.

I don’t really get that feeling from aerith in this, especially at the saucer and costa del sol “dates.” she’s perky as usual but there’s a wry exasperation to her attempts to reach out now, as she tries to do anything to get cloud to open up a little - not even romantically, just to make sure the guy has a pulse

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nucular Carmul posted:

Reaching Cosmo Canyon and finding that the game still manages to surprise with unique and interesting towns is a delight. As a lover of mountain villages with mixed elevations I'm a big fan! And I love how every town has an in universe purpose. (If this seems overly obvious to some I am a disgusting quitter who only did OG Midgar and quit because I wanted that aesthetic the whole game please forgive teenage me)

i'd say there's only two towns in the OG whose presence seems a little odd, icicle inn and mideel

especially interested in how the remake tries to justify the latter