Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Performance mode looks.... worse somehow. I thought they were gonna give it a sharpening filter or update the resolution or whatever, but it's even blurrier than it was before. I feel like they made a mistake or launched the wrong in-house development version of the game or something.

edit: oof, I saw this on another site. If viewed at full screen, you can literally count the pixels in some areas, especially Cloud's face

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I can tolerate the softness. It's not as bad as 16's horrible hacky performance mode.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I always thought she was disturbed because to her, it looks like Cloud is bare-faced lying about all of it, and inserting himself in Zack's position. It must have been a real WTF moment for Tifa. Why would Cloud do that? Obviously we don't find out until much later.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

:yooge: anime grunts.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I liked Mass Effect's elevators on the citadel, at the time I never realized they were masking loading screens.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

What's a chuuni

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I think they're genuinely scared of him too. There's like two or three scenes where Cloud commits extreme acts of violence and it stuns the rest into silence. They just don't know what to do or say and Tifa has to coddle him gently almost like she's an abused fawn.

You just know it's going to get much worse in part 3 and they all have to confront it head-on before somebody else gets killed

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 27, 2024

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, that’s the part of the folio ability that strengthens the actual spell(s).

I always found the wording odd. On the folio screen I feel like the description really should have read 'strengthens spells of this element' first, and 'cast a weaker version of this spell that costs 0mp' second. Not the way round it currently is.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Just casting assess and holding block until an opening comes up to cast their elemental weakness is enough to win 99% of fights.
Most boss fights punish you for attacking, so you wait til they're done whatever they're doing, then attack right after to build up ATB.
There are materia such as steadfast blocking and certain other perks which increases ATB on guarding which caters for players who turtle up and patiently wait.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The final Sephiroth duel on normal is pretty much telling you 'this is how you fight bosses on hard'. Destroying the masamune or the wing on time, Heartless angel reducing the duo's health to 1, and that frantic rush to whittle the last 10% down. You pretty much have to conserve ATB and synergies/limit breaks for key moments or you're boned, something you never really had to think about up to this point. It's an excellent design and one of the best final bosses in any game imo

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I felt exactly the same way about the cait sith segment and was called insane for it in the ps5 thread. It's mercifully short so just knuckle down and crack on with it. It's worth doing as the game dials the crazy factor up to 11 immediately after. If you need any tips or questions just ask away

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You can stand on the box to the right by the railings and throw it as high and far as you can, and won't need the funnel for it either. It'll take a couple of tries but it'll bounce around a little bit then land in the container.

You should note there's another minigame shortly after with a time limit, this is entirely optional and does not affect anything, it's just a bit of a let-your-hair-down reprieve. You don't have to engage with it and can simply run the timer down. You just get random consumables like potions, and you won't permanently miss anything

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 27, 2024

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You'll need him for a couple of fights much later on. Just gear him up with a basic yet solid setup such as a couple of elemental materia, some spare buffing materia, and a healing one.

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely have a hard time telling the difference between people who are being performatively over-angry and people who are in fact genuinely super angry over a minigame roughly on par with a mediocre Zelda puzzle.

In their defense I got frustrated at the cait sith section too so I have a lot of empathy for them hence the advice

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's possible they may not realize the funnel can hold onto the box until it's stopped on the container. I did not realize that for a couple of throws

And some people genuinely struggle with things like this for reasons out of their control so let's not downplay it too much.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Try to build ATB to cast Fira/Firaga, and save your limit break for when it's staggered. Two or three firas will stagger, and the limit break will kill them during it. The boss has very low health pool

Just block to build ATB up with steadfast block materia so you can stay alive. It's the safest way.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 27, 2024

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You can play as Cloud or any other party member you assigned to the primary squad, and it'll be enough.
Just wait for an opening, run away from attacks and cast fire spells as much as you can. Shooting with Barrett is probably the safest way.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aHRNjccJE8

Behind-the-scenes for Rebirth part 1 is up :toot:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

fridge corn posted:

I was trying to throw the box into the funnel while it was moving, I just had dogshit aim. And I'm pretty sure Barret is just standing right there doing nothing at that point surely he could throw a box a bit further no?

Barrett only has 1 hand. He's a big fella but probably a bit challenged on the throwing boxes at things front

I recall Barrett was stuck downstairs though, that section is specifically so Cait could power things up and get the party through the area.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah the whole party both frontline and backline gets all the exp and ap evenly, so you should put materia on everyone just to level them up anyway

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

That last 10% hp circular beams thing? I died quite a few times when I got to that part too, which made me decide to save synergy and limit breaks for it. That did the trick.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

It still bothers me a lot how light Reno and Rude's characterization is after they killed literal thousands of people at Sector 7. They should not get to be Charismatic Recurring Mini-villains after something like that.

I did not understand the 'let them live' shtick either. Tifa and Barret of all people would have turned their heads into mulch, it's very odd they just moved on from their last encounter in the temple. Perhaps in part 3 when they meet for the final time in the train tunnels under Midgar, the party won't just let them walk away. Even my kid self thought that was a ridiculous thing to do after what happened with sector 7

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

You can find Kujata in the sleeping forest on the way from Bone Village to the Forgotten Capital

I remember this. It was deliberately made to look like a leaf falling off one of the trees so if you were quick enough you could grab it

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Most boss fights is basically 'block, and don't be the first to attack'

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

redreader posted:

Apologies if this is an old topic here but the moss grown adamantoise is wrecking my poo poo.

I try to hit its "blind spot" with blizzard while it's doing barrier and that never seems to do anything. The front part gets covered with barrier and the back part doesn't. I literally just had red cast blizzara from behind while I could see the word barrier above it, and nothing happened. It then super wrecks my poo poo.

Edit: just cast protect and shell on the party which also didn't help.

I'm pretty sure it's weak to fire spells, so use fira whenever you can and just spend time avoiding its attacks.
I usually played as Barret, kept my distance and casted fire spells whenever I had the ATB.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Wamsutta posted:

Boy the Battle for Naming Rights is really loving dumb huh? If you don’t know ahead of time to equip everyone with a safety bit you just die lol. K.

That's the first real boss fight where you have to take a step back and observe the mechanics and what enemy is weak to what, and when to attack. And be ready, because it's multiple boss fights in a row, each increasingly making bigger demands of your willingness to be patient.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Cosmo is the only zone I haven't bothered doing the side stuff in. I'd much rather have diarrhea-chocobos than flappy-chocobos. Nibelheim was fun to travel around in. Cosmo decidedly less so.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I hope for part 3 they merge the menus a bit, there's several that didn't need to be separate pages. 'party' 'combat settings' 'materia & equipment' and 'upgrade weapons' could all be done on the same page. 'item transmuter' and 'inventory' could be merged too. 'manual' and 'save/load' should be bought into the 'system' page as well.
It's not a big deal really but having less scrolling/clicks to navigate the UI and having it all together in fewer places does help with quality of life in a lot of games, especially ones where you could potentially reach 50+ hours in.

Loadouts would be nice too, there's quite a variety of different combinations of gear and materia that works for different encounters and areas.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

That is almost spooky. Square goes out of their way to show cloud putting his sword down every single time in both remake and rebirth except for the one time we all know he's lying about it. Fantastic little detail

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I genuinely thought they made up Loveless for Crisis Core.

Cid quotes it in the OG FF7 on the highwind when asked by Cloud why he's coming with the party.

code:
Cid:
"Yeah? Really? Well, that's fine."
"They've been doin' that play every summer since I was a kid."
"An' I remember seein' it just once..."
"That was when I was in Midgar interviewing to be a pilot."
"I had some free time and thought I'd catch the play."
"Now, I'm no big fan of the theater or anything."
"But this thing put me to sleep, just like I thought it would."
"Finally during the last scene, the guy next to me woke me up
tellin' me my snorin' was too loud."
"So about all I really remember of that play is the end..."
"The sister of the lead asks her lover,"
Cid:
"Do you really have to leave?"
Cid:
"And the guy says,"
Cid:
"I promised. The people I love are waiting."
Cid:
"......I don't understand. Not at all. But...... please take care
of yourself."
Cid:
"Of course... I'll come back to you. Even if you don't promise to
wait. I'll return knowing that you'll be here."
Cid:
"I remember thinking when I heard those lines,"
"*&%! What the hell's he talkin' about? But, you know... now I'm
not so sure..."
"I think I understand......"

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Wamsutta posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever used a limit attack above level 1 and I unlocked them all I just never got the option to do it in combat and don’t really know how it works

I know my raging is tiresome but if I really have to redo everything after Jenova I’m probably just going to watch the ending on YT and uninstall. I simply don’t have 2+ hours in one shot to game that reliably anymore and this game doesn’t respect your time. It’s bad enough I have to fight sephiroth with just aerith and cloud, not being able to tweak my setup without starting the whole drag rear end encounter again is insanity. He has an attack that just reduces your hp to 1, how is that fair at all?

You need to keep one ATB on both Cloud and Aerith banked at all times, and keep healing materia on them both. Prayer is even better.
Also bank limit breaks for the last 10% of the fight. Aerith has a limit break that gives invulnerability and Cloud's limit breaks will one-shot the boss during the final phase.

Generally speaking keeping healing materia and one ATB banked on all characters at all times throughout the entire game is standard good practice. It allows you to react much much better

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Wamsutta posted:

Prayer seems like it conflicts with the idea of keeping 1 ATB on deck, since it costs 2 ATB? but I do have Healing on both of them.

That's right yeah. If however you are in a bad situation and you happen to have 2 ATB up at the time it's by far the best healing spell to use since it's got an incredibly quick cast time and costs no MP.

Item economizer and item master materia are also very very good to have, together they can contribute significantly to group healing, especially at max level where every other item usage costs no ATB and a mere mega potion heals 2250hp.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Cloud made a promise to Tifa when they were kids, it's a pretty major part of his psyche

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

THe cait sith segment is actually super immersive cos it makes you want to throw the actual controller at the tv

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Each character has synergy charges to fill in, you get 1 for every ATB you use. You can see it on the UI in the bottom right during battle, where their health is. To begin with, synergy skills typically need 3 charges per character. So if you want to use Overfang, you need to use 3 ATB each on Barret and Red XIII to give them both 3 charges which will be enough for the synergy skill. The more you use a synergy skill, the more expensive it'll be to cast again in that same battle, but it resets once the fight is over.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah there's fighting out of necessity, and then there's just violence for the sake of violence and Cloud crosses that line quite a few times. He would have killed Elena and the other Turks in the temple no problem if the party didn't intervene.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's in order of most recent to least recent but I do agree it was very unclear and I fell victim to it too.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did the game always allow you to have three party loadouts that you could change on the fly, or did they just add that in the recent patch?

That's always been there, you could make the presets on the party menu.
I always thought it was a little useless, since you can't really change it during combat. So may as well change it manually.

The real preset loadouts the game should have had was gear/materia.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

If you're not using ethers (or mp replenishing abilities on hard mode) you're not using the firepower available to you, simple as that
The party can poo poo out insane damage with Aerith

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I really like how elemental materia covers your weapon in the associated element, like an enchantment. It's such a neat little touch. I think it's been there since remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

GateOfD posted:

has anyone been using status effects?
the only one I been using is bio, but haven't touched silence or sleep

Literally just once, on those electric wolves for a world intel assignment.
Apparently if you put synergy+quakera as well as magnify+quakera in another two slots on the same character, it both works and they poo poo out petrifies. I haven't tried it yet but I want to