Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/aitaikimochi/status/1755127424558469356?s=46

Director is nervous how rebirth will be received

$10 says Tifa dies

Genesis kills Aerith this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, don't worry.

There are MULTIPLE swimsuits and the ones you pick impact your relationships with characters.

Speaking of this, without going into story details, how easy is it to raise your relationship with characters? I know, like the original, who you go on a date with at the Golden Saucer depends on who you have the highest relationship stat with or whatever. If I want to see all the dates, is that something I'd have to start the game over multiple times to do, or is there an easy way to raise your bonds late game that I could abuse?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No plot spoilers here:

Oh, that all sounds great, thanks!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wish this game had a training dummy or something for me to wail on and get a feel for the different character's movesets. The little VR tutorials from Chadly are okay, but those orcs die way too fast.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They should have just had Yuffie kill them all. Yuffie wiping out all the edgy Dirge of Cerebus bosses in a side story DLC would have ruled.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder who at Shinra came up with the idea to just rebuild the town after Sephiroth killed everyone and pretend nothing happened. You'd think it would be easier and cheaper to just blame it on Wutai or Avalanche or something.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

Considering Shinra is very open about the fact that it's a utility company that fields a private army of Stormtroopers, killbots with circular saws for hands, genetically augmented monsters, enhanced supersoldiers, and vaguely Black Ops Turks, it makes you wonder why they even bother keeping all the Jenova stuff secret

"Yeah, we injected SOLDIERS with alien DNA, what of it?

They haven't found a good way to work Jenova into a Stamp propaganda song yet.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Actually, at what point did Shinra figure out that Jenova was actually a horrible alien horror and not an Ancient? Do they ever figure that out?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Marlene and Dyne might also be Ancients, wonder if they're going to go into what's up with that?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Literally everyone but Reeve on Team Shinra is some kind of megalomaniac dumbass and they all pay for their hubris spectacularly. Aside from Palmer, I suppose, because no one gives a poo poo to check in on Palmer once Shinra No.26 fails to stop Meteor. I'm guessing Rufus just immediately fired him, because he's just like loving gone from the game after that.

Reeve must be really good at his job if he lasted this long in Shinra surrounded by psychos on all sides.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

True, it's probably hard to find someone who can take care of that boring day to day stuff and also not constantly say to them "hey guys, maybe we shouldn't murder our own citizens and blow up our own city? Guys....please?"

Asterite34 posted:

I'm also pretty sure he's responsible for all the enemies you fight that are theoretically harmless domestic appliance robots that have malfunctioned and turned murderous like Smoggers. Hell House was probably some prototype low-income housing thing he was working on in Urban Development until the other executives started giving notes like "more indestructible force fields" and "it should have more missile salvos"

Hell House is the result of Reeve taking one(1) sick day and getting Scarlet to agree to cover for him.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 26, 2024

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I like how even President Shinra knows Palmer is a useless sack of poo poo that doesn't do anything and no one likes, or even want to be around, but he also doesn't care enough to replace him with someone who is at least pleasant to be around.

I mean, Hojo is a gross creep, too, but at least he just hides in his lab all day and gets actual results.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Caidin posted:

What else are they gonna do, let that Mayor Domino nerd hang with them?

I bet you Reeve is the only executive that knows Domino's name or even remembers that he exists at all.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I heard he's called Mega Drive in the original Japanese. Weird translation change if you ask me.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Spoilers are out on YouTube now, so take care if you're worried about getting spoiled.

Yeahhhh, probably not gonna use YouTube for the next few days. Every time a big new release happens, I always get a video with a huge spoiler in the title and final boss in the thumbnail thrown right in my face.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

How long before you get to the new party members? I can't decide if I want to do all the side stuff I can right away or beeline the story until I get Yuffie and Cait Sith and then go back and do all the side stuff. I guess that also depends on how much side stuff is cut off by story progression by that point.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Relatively minor spoilers:
Red XIII joins right away.

Yuffie joins after the events at Costa Del Sol, which is roughly 6-ish chapters into the game.
Cait Sith joins after the events at Gold Saucer which is maybe 1-2 chapters later.

No side content is cut off by story progression until you reach Chapter 13's date sequence.

There's no reason to wait on side stuff.

drat, 6 chapters til Yuffie?

Alright, do all side stuff it is!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

get a trebuchet into the bottom row so it hits the middle, put an enforcer and archer or cleric as support, then take care of the archer and enforcer on the top row. when you've finally reached the boss later on position another trebuchet to fire onto the boss and once they're ready unleash both heroes directly at the boss. fill up with whatever unit you have and he should die quickly.

it's very hard but this is how I managed it

Does game difficulty affect mini-games? I got my rear end kicked by that last Fort Condor game 3 or 4 times in a row before bumping it down to easy and doing it first try. I don't know if it was actually easier or if I just got really lucky.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Enemy skill materia seems pretty good. Even just the first two abilities seem super useful.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I gotta say, it was pretty mean of them to (Mythril Mines spoiler) give Barret a climbing section in the mines. Like, it's impressive that he was able to do it with one hand, but still.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Can you flip the difficulty to dynamic scaling after the game has started? I started on normal and I'm quickly outleveling everything.

Hearing that hard mode let's you recover mp with cushions is interesting - it might actually be the thing to give it legs rather than the first game being a slog where you have to extremely ration your magic.

You can change difficulty anytime in the options.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The mentally ill woman surrounded by cardboard boxes that you play cards with in kalm is giving me some powerful foreshadowing vibes

Queen's Blood players are all freaking weirdos. No wonder the Innkeeper thought it would be the perfect game for Cloud.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

drat that really blows. The basic style from the first game really helped me navigate environments better.

You still get that style when you're in dungeons, at least.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Arist posted:

Chapter 4 region questions: Where can I find the driftwood? And can I actually access any of the stuff at the far east of the region? If I can't do that until I've done some stuff in Under Junon then whatever

Check the picture you were given. The driftwood is basically along the western side of the map starting from where you caught the black chocobo and go north until your bird senses something.

You can do all of the Junon region before even stepping foot in Under Junon proper.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Quinton posted:

What am I missing out on by not getting all 3 of the sub-goals for the monster hunts? I usually get 2/3.

I think it just gives you some extra Party XP. I don't think you have to do all the goals to unlock the vr missions.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamean posted:

Generally unbothered by the yellow paint discourse, but it is funny to me that once you get to the swamp there's a set of ledges up to the bridge that are entirely unmarked.

What's funny about this is I actually did have a bit of trouble finding the unmarked ledges in the mines. :lol:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Re: Junon region completion, you absolutely can’t, there’s a bunch of stuff locked behind progressing the main quest path at a certain point.

I'm just talking about all the Chadley stuff, which you absolutely can do all of after getting your Chocobo without ever going to Under Junon. I know because that's what I did. Actual regular side quests open up after you go there, though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I really love the side quest where Red gets mad that our chocobo has a better nose than him. He's trying to play it cool so hard.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Arist posted:

Late Chapter 4: Barret in the sailor suit awkwardly covering up the gun arm with a bunch of bandages and a hook, lmao

And holy poo poo, these idiot Shinra troops still think I'm one of them, ahahaha

They will give their life for their captain that they've only known for, like, 5 minutes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

The Junon sequence is so much fun. They just totally lean into how ridiculous the whole scenario is and how dumb and oblivious it requires the Shinra troops to be. From the goofy-rear end march they do when Cloud sends calls them back to duty, to the serious commander running up to get her award and jumping up and down and waving like a little kid, to the 7th Division's blind acceptance of everything their "captain" does, it's all great.

It's a good look at the level of competence within Shinra. None of the grunts bat an eye at you and your group of weirdos, wondering around the landing sight or when you just walk in and steal a uniform, BUT the Turks were on to you from the very beginning and just choose to say nothing, BUT none of them knew about Yuffie and she would have totally killed Rufus if Barret hadn't yelled at her.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I only just got to the beginning of the boat chapter before I went to bed last night, but I swear that character that walked past Madam M in that initial cutscene looked like Echidna from The Bouncer.

Also, a really cute Red scene at the beginning of that chapter where he says he'll go scout out the boat, only to immediately get swarmed by a bunch of kids wanting to pet the cool dog. Cloud and Barret just kind of share a look before moving on :lol:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

End of Junon spoiler: There's something really funny about seeing these black robes waiting in line to get on a cruise ship with normal people. How are they getting by security!? How did they pass the background checks?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

Rufus said at the parade that he wants Sephiroth dead and the black robes will lead them to Sephiroth. By that logic it’d be counter-productive to get in their way so he probably passed down orders to let them through.

That's a good point.

Honestly, I really like the black robe guys in these games. They're really creepy, and they're everywhere. You never know where they'll pop up next.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I like that there's more of a genuine sense of pity for them. Like how insanely hosed up it is to be someone who ends up in that situation.

And then there's people like the Kalm innkeeper, who seems like he's right on the cusp of becoming just like them.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not sure what I expected from the end of the Queens Blood side story, but Vincent showing up and shooting the evil cards with his gun was not it. :lol:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

All the new stuff they've set up with Wutai seems really cool, and I'm really interested in seeing where it goes in the next game and how it affects Yuffie's character. She is way more up front with the group about why she's hunting down powerful materia, and she seems like a true believer in the SRC, the New Wutai Government and building a better future for Wutai and it's going to be heartbreaking when it all blows up in her face. I bet she will still end up stealing all our materia again, but it will be on Glenn's orders, and he's going manipulate her into turning on us. gently caress you Glenn!

I also like how they set up an excuse for why we can't just go wherever we want at the start of the next game because war were declared, and all the boarders are going to be locked down.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wish you could force your summon to use their final attack early. There have been a few times where the timer goes just right when an enemy becomes untargetable or puts up a shield that you have to destroy before they can take damage.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

they want shady posted:

Some of the funniest side stuff to me since I suck at the piano game is every time they set up these cute moments for Tifa with an impromptu recital. They're like, I might know a certain someone who knows their way around a piano ;) and no they don't.

I always feel so bad for Tifa in those moments. Like no Cloud, don't volunteer Tifa for this, no lady, don't get a whole crowd to come watch her, nooooo!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm concerned that I might be heading towards an Aerith date, since her support thing just capped out in chapter 10, while Tifa's hasn't yet. I'm going to hope Tifa has some sort of side-quest in the next zone that will cap her (which seems like a reasonable assumption given what zone it is) and that it somehow gets her ahead (or that it didn't lock in Aerith because she was first).

(I'm obviously a supporter of Cloud/Tifa)

More side quests will unlock for all the zones at some point before the date, so that should help.

It doesn't matter who gets capped out first, just whoever has the highest actual score by the time you get to the date(this number is hidden from you until you beat the game).

Dialogue options and using synergy abilities with Cloud for the first time also raise their scores.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I somehow ended up with the Yuffie date, and looking at my scores after beating the game, she was one point higher than Barret. :lol:

I did all the side quests except for a chocobo racing one, but I know I beefed it on a few of Tifa and Aerith's quests and didn't get the best outcome for them.