Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm not even done with the Obligatory Card Game Tournament Arc yet and already Chapter 5 is giving me everything I ever hoped for and more.

The only let down is that nobody has Said The Line to Barret but what can you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamean posted:

Generally unbothered by the yellow paint discourse, but it is funny to me that once you get to the swamp there's a set of ledges up to the bridge that are entirely unmarked.

What's funny about this is I actually did have a bit of trouble finding the unmarked ledges in the mines. :lol:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Off the boat and in Costa Del Sol, this poo poo is just too good. I am getting confused by little details popping up in the margins. Well, okay one isn't really a margin but who the hell is Glen Halbrook and why can he talk to Rufus like that, and who is this Faz guy Aeirth mentioned? Also I'm honestly impressed Heidragger has the nerve to take a giant shuriken for his boss, dude sucks but I guess he at least takes his job real serous.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

I've been watching my husband play this since it came out and knowing nothing about the final fantasy universe I can say I am thoroughly invested.

Voted Barret btw he's clearly the best character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

Off the boat and in Costa Del Sol, this poo poo is just too good. I am getting confused by little details popping up in the margins. Well, okay one isn't really a margin but who the hell is Glen Halbrook and why can he talk to Rufus like that, and who is this Faz guy Aeirth mentioned? Also I'm honestly impressed Heidragger has the nerve to take a giant shuriken for his boss, dude sucks but I guess he at least takes his job real serous.

Glenn is from Ever Crisis. He was an early SOLDIER and worked with Sephiroth on early missions. It's not clear how he got from that to where he is now, but he's currently working for Wutai.

Faz is the guy who helped Aerith and her mom escape from custody after they were caught but also turned out to be basically a loving insane stalker who terrorized Aerith for a bit afterwards. IIRC what basically happened is that he went after Aerith, Elmyria knocked him out with a broom, and when he got up and tried to go after Aerith again a Shinra sniper put him down.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 1, 2024

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Glenn is from Before Crisis. He was an early SOLDIER and worked with Sephiroth on early missions. It's not clear how he got from that to where he is now, but he's currently working for Wutai.

Faz is the guy who helped Aerith and her mom escape from custody after they were caught but also turned out to be basically a loving insane stalker who terrorized Aerith for a bit afterwards. IIRC what basically happened is that he went after Aerith, Elmyria knocked him out with a broom, and when he got up and tried to go after Aerith again a Shinra sniper put him down.

I uh, do I need to know the phone game? Are they kingdom heartsing me here?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there an ingame combat/battle tactics tutorial? I am deeply garbage at the combat and would appreciate some practice and review.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I like FF16 but FF7Reb is basically on an entirely different level.

Yeah I love FF16, but Rebirth is is exactly what I wanted from a next-gen Final Fantasy game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

I uh, do I need to know the phone game? Are they kingdom heartsing me here?

All of the EU stuff at least gets name drops. Glenn is the only thing that is super significant though, the rest are just 'this thing existed and is referenced for those who get the reference. Even then Glenn seems like... knowing who he is might help but I'm doubting you'll need to play Ever Crisis to get it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The bit where Barret berates everyone for going on dates and tifa/cloud/aerith all snap to attention affirmatively and then there's a beat and red does the same thing is a really cute moment and I really like that they've managed to really keep a lot of the heart of the original but use current tech to express it. If this was a straight remake it'd be perfect, let alone it kind of being it's own thing which feels better to me ATM.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Also in the IDGI camp for the combat system, the level 18 quests nearly killed me with their associated enemies on normal and I was furiously using all my ATB charges on items to get my hp back up or get rid of poison. At least Barret said "drat that was a tough bastard" during one of those quests so I felt better

Probably not going to do all the open world activities since some of them are too similar to all the other AAA open world games I played

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Something common to both FFVII Re-games is that combat tends to be very momentum based and if you're on the ropes it's often really, really hard to turn things around and if you don't recover perfectly you'll end up prolonging your pain.

There's some materia that can help, I want to say it becomes available in Ch 4, which makes the next item use free if it's been 3 ATBs spent (or is it 3 actions performed?), per character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Something common to both FFVII Re-games is that combat tends to be very momentum based and if you're on the ropes it's often really, really hard to turn things around and if you don't recover perfectly you'll end up prolonging your pain.

There's some materia that can help, I want to say it becomes available in Ch 4, which makes the next item use free if it's been 3 ATBs spent (or is it 3 actions performed?), per character.

it's 3 actions (2/1 with upgrades.) It's genuinely extremely good, borderline broken, especially in conjunction with the materia that improves item effectiveness.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Does Rebirth have the Remake mechanic of skill proficiency letting you use other skills on new weapons? I just got the Sleek Saber and I’m afraid to equip it because nothing has indicated if I need to use Focused Thrust on the Buster Sword enough

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Everything you've done carries over, but you do have the ability to set sidequests to a done/undone state when selecting a chapter. Any sidequest that has a noteworthy boss fight at the end does require you to redo it to get a manuscript, as well as the 'final' Classified Intel monster hunt for each segment which gets you a manuscript and a special craft material you can only get on hard. (Basically anything that qualifies as a boss fight gets you a manuscript in hard mode.)

That's extremely cool

There's so much cool QoL stuff in Rebirth. The party presets, AP gain on equipped materia even for characters not in your active party, an apparently much more flexible postgame chapter select, etc.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Does Rebirth have the Remake mechanic of skill proficiency letting you use other skills on new weapons? I just got the Sleek Saber and I’m afraid to equip it because nothing has indicated if I need to use Focused Thrust on the Buster Sword enough

Yes. Use an ability enough and you'll learn it permanently, just like Remake.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Harrow posted:

That's extremely cool

There's so much cool QoL stuff in Rebirth. The party presets, AP gain on equipped materia even for characters not in your active party, an apparently much more flexible postgame chapter select, etc.

Yes. Use an ability enough and you'll learn it permanently, just like Remake.

Literally after I posted I saw the bar under the name in ability info. I have no clue how I missed that

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I haven't had time to play yet, but I've been watching videos at work. What is the purpose of regular attacks if you can just spam the synergy skills? They have additional effects and allow you to use synergy abilities. Regular attacks just...do damage?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

I haven't had time to play yet, but I've been watching videos at work. What is the purpose of regular attacks if you can just spam the synergy skills? They have additional effects and allow you to use synergy abilities. Regular attacks just...do damage?

Regular attacks are faster and more flexible, and can boost ATB for a single character more quickly. They also do decent damage and let you do things like stay in the air juggling enemies.

Right now I use both because both have their uses, though that might shift as I unlock more synergy skills that do more different things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

Synergy Skills don't unlock abilities, that's spending ATB.

They are largely context sensitive and only shine in specific situations compared to standard combat options. Generally most characters are going to get more benefit out of their regular attacks because of how they combine with other elements of their playstyle.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rhonne posted:

Check the picture you were given. The driftwood is basically along the western side of the map starting from where you caught the black chocobo and go north until your bird senses something.

You can do all of the Junon region before even stepping foot in Under Junon proper.

Re: Junon region completion, you absolutely can’t, there’s a bunch of stuff locked behind progressing the main quest path at a certain point.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Sorry guys I've decided to settle in Kalm and become a baker. Aerith can be a florist. Barrett can in the bar. Red is the pet dog. Tifa is co-baker.

Kalm is too pretty.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I absolutely love watching Red XIII going up and down ladders, it's so ridiculous and I love it. I wish I could watch him slide down the firemen's poles I'm seeing in some places.

It amazes me that everyone has resisted the urge to scratch behind his wonderful fluffy ears and I am now desperate to know what his toes look like. Yes, I know he's not a cat, but I want to know!!

I got out of Kalm and into the open world with Aeris just being delighted at being out in a natural environment while the Main Theme started up and oh my God it's all so wonderful.

Catching the chocobo was neat and really reminded me of Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

OH NO CHADLEY IS HERE UGH GO AWAY YOU GROSS LITTLE FREAK

OH GOD HE CAN READ MY THOUGHTS?!

WAIT ANY CYBORG CAN? WHAT THE gently caress

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

Sorry guys I've decided to settle in Kalm and become a baker. Aerith can be a florist. Barrett can in the bar. Red is the pet dog. Tifa is co-baker.

Kalm is too pretty.

Not going to lie, I would gladly play a "well, gently caress all that Sephiroth" Stardew Valley clone where you just hung out with your friends all day.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you're having issues with combat I recommend checking out ChipCheezum's LP of Remake. Just think of a boss you liked/had trouble with and see how he tackles it, you might pick up something there.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

OH NO CHADLEY IS HERE UGH GO AWAY YOU GROSS LITTLE FREAK

OH GOD HE CAN READ MY THOUGHTS?!

WAIT ANY CYBORG CAN? WHAT THE gently caress

Just wait, he's now got Alisaie with him....

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm enjoying Chadley more in this game because he's been very effective at making fun of Cloud, and because he also makes fun of MAI exactly as much as he should

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

Is there an ingame combat/battle tactics tutorial? I am deeply garbage at the combat and would appreciate some practice and review.

I’m a dumbass and it’s Chadley.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Re: Junon region completion, you absolutely can’t, there’s a bunch of stuff locked behind progressing the main quest path at a certain point.

I'm just talking about all the Chadley stuff, which you absolutely can do all of after getting your Chocobo without ever going to Under Junon. I know because that's what I did. Actual regular side quests open up after you go there, though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Just did all the grasslands stuff and moved into the cave last night. I am enjoying this game and I think it's very cool but I also feel underwhelmed? Disappointed? Not sure those are the right words but there's a couple of things that bug me.

First, the AAA gamification is not a problem in and of itself, but those elements aren't done well in this game. The traversal needed more time in the oven. Like every time you have to do the climb the yellow paint mechanic, cloud takes a laborious amount of time compared to the game's contemporaries that invented that stuff. The sprint and mantle over stuff automatically is vaguely neat but most of the animations are jank and cloud gets stuck on stuff more frequently than the other games that do this. Chocobos in particular feel terrible to ride around on because they get stuck on things 4 or 5 times more often than Cloud does (who already gets stuck too much as it is) and if you run past something, getting turned around sucks a bit. The crafting system also seems bolted on as gently caress, but it's not proving to be overtly detrimental or anything, just half-baked and perfunctory.

The other problem is that this game has flubbed the iconic moments that I have experienced so far. What I mean by that is that the scenes from the original that really stick out in my mind and that were done so well in Remake have thus far all been more poorly told here. Specifically:

1. The Jenova reveal in the reactor flashback back in 7 was a whole lot of just what the gently caress did I just see and I did not get that here.

2. The iconic scene of Sephiroth smiling and walking through the flames was crap here. That specific moment was fine and well done enough, but the 5 minutes prior to it sucked rear end and ruined the whole scene. First you get mandatorily slowed down and you have to shuffle around with fairly indistinct directions. You get to your moms house and get knocked over again and you have to do the alternate triggers to slowly crawl your way towards Sephiroth. Who is surrounded by 4 guys with guns, none of whom take any shots at Sephiroth and all of whom get cut down 1 by 1 as they choose to approach him. It is the dumbest poo poo. It may be fun if they do something with this later since this is all faulty memories but in the moment it was trite and stupid and sucked.

3. In the original, seeing midgardsormr stuck up on the tree was a real what the poo poo moment that really left you wondering just how powerful this Sephiroth guy is. Seeing it actually happen here was just blech. Probably a very hard thing to do since at this point, it's no mystery how strong Sephiroth is, but it was nonetheless a very underwhelming scene.

4. Entering the grasslands for the first time and seeing that vista and hearing the old overworld theme was extremely magical. Right up until I noticed it wasn't playing the full theme and just looping awkwardly and then I felt sadness.

But all that aside, I am having a good time! Still don't really know how worthwhile the synergy abilities are (the ones you can use while guarding, not the fancy big combo attacks). They just seem like weak attacks or niche functionality. But that aside, the fights are fun and the quests have been good and I like exploring the map and finding things for Chadley. I laughed when I got the CHAD module. I've also enjoyed the writing outside of the few things outlined above, though there seems to be very little banter while out and about generally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Just did all the grasslands stuff and moved into the cave last night. I am enjoying this game and I think it's very cool but I also feel underwhelmed? Disappointed? Not sure those are the right words but there's a couple of things that bug me.

First, the AAA gamification is not a problem in and of itself, but those elements aren't done well in this game. The traversal needed more time in the oven. Like every time you have to do the climb the yellow paint mechanic, cloud takes a laborious amount of time compared to the game's contemporaries that invented that stuff. The sprint and mantle over stuff automatically is vaguely neat but most of the animations are jank and cloud gets stuck on stuff more frequently than the other games that do this. Chocobos in particular feel terrible to ride around on because they get stuck on things 4 or 5 times more often than Cloud does (who already gets stuck too much as it is) and if you run past something, getting turned around sucks a bit. The crafting system also seems bolted on as gently caress, but it's not proving to be overtly detrimental or anything, just half-baked and perfunctory.

The other problem is that this game has flubbed the iconic moments that I have experienced so far. What I mean by that is that the scenes from the original that really stick out in my mind and that were done so well in Remake have thus far all been more poorly told here. Specifically:

1. The Jenova reveal in the reactor flashback back in 7 was a whole lot of just what the gently caress did I just see and I did not get that here.

2. The iconic scene of Sephiroth smiling and walking through the flames was crap here. That specific moment was fine and well done enough, but the 5 minutes prior to it sucked rear end and ruined the whole scene. First you get mandatorily slowed down and you have to shuffle around with fairly indistinct directions. You get to your moms house and get knocked over again and you have to do the alternate triggers to slowly crawl your way towards Sephiroth. Who is surrounded by 4 guys with guns, none of whom take any shots at Sephiroth and all of whom get cut down 1 by 1 as they choose to approach him. It is the dumbest poo poo. It may be fun if they do something with this later since this is all faulty memories but in the moment it was trite and stupid and sucked.

3. In the original, seeing midgardsormr stuck up on the tree was a real what the poo poo moment that really left you wondering just how powerful this Sephiroth guy is. Seeing it actually happen here was just blech. Probably a very hard thing to do since at this point, it's no mystery how strong Sephiroth is, but it was nonetheless a very underwhelming scene.

4. Entering the grasslands for the first time and seeing that vista and hearing the old overworld theme was extremely magical. Right up until I noticed it wasn't playing the full theme and just looping awkwardly and then I felt sadness.

But all that aside, I am having a good time! Still don't really know how worthwhile the synergy abilities are (the ones you can use while guarding, not the fancy big combo attacks). They just seem like weak attacks or niche functionality. But that aside, the fights are fun and the quests have been good and I like exploring the map and finding things for Chadley. I laughed when I got the CHAD module. I've also enjoyed the writing outside of the few things outlined above, though there seems to be very little banter while out and about generally.

The Jenova thing is a shot-for-shot remake. Are you maybe remembering the flash to Jenova in the Shinra Building?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I've only had the chance to get to the chocobo ranch so far but it's pretty fun at this early point. I'm pretty sure those card packs I didn't buy in Kalm can be obtained later, but I owned all three players there with the default cards.

On the other hand, what the heck is going on here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVc5bgfk-nM

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I hate yuffie so goddamned much

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

I hate yuffie so goddamned much

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Communist Bear posted:

Red is the pet dog.

"Is Red xiii a dog or a cat" the greatest thread in the history of the internet, was shut down after 526,942 pages

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

"Is Red xiii a dog or a cat" the greatest thread in the history of the internet, was shut down after 526,942 pages

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

An NPC mistakes him for a dog

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Red is cool, and good, and can therefore not be a cat.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Fedule posted:

Like to be clear the game is amazing. It is full of incredible things. It is also full of poo poo and could be made 500% better by having half of its content by volume removed and replaced with nothing. Shinra as a metaphor for Ubisoft, I guess.

Nah, you're wrong. Ignore stuff if you don't want to do it. I love all this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maybe he’s a lion.