Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got a B on the piano minigame :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

I was surprised more people didn't comment on that.

It was the first sign that the trailer was gonna show too much for me, lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heithinn Grasida posted:

About how long is the demo?

I'd say ~90 minutes?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The loving Sephiroth leitmotif in the final phase of the Materia Keeper fight from the demo, good lord

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Are there any pre order bonuses for this?

The only bonus for preordering is an accessory, I believe

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Red XIII can play soccer with a bunch of Actual Dogs

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Welp, the only version of the demo available in my region is bugged to show no text in menus unless I install Korean or Chinese, in which case it displays all menus in traditional Chinese no matter what option I select. At least the acting is in English and I can read the Chinese (painfully slowly), but I really wish Japanese publishers/studios didn’t do poo poo like this (not bitter about only being able to play Elden Ring in Chinese).

From another thread:

univbee posted:

Minor point that's unlikely to be an issue for anyone here, but for some reason they're doing a separate SKU for Chinese-speaking territories (e.g. Hong Kong, Taiwan) and South Korea. These regions will have two distinct copies of the game:

One will have text in Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Korean (so no English, Japanese etc. text).
The other will have text in English, Japanese, and all the European languages (same as the copies sold in Japan, the Americas and Europe)

All copies will have audio in English, Japanese, French and German.

Just be careful if you live in these territories so you don't get stuck with a SKU that isn't playable with English text (there is no cross-buy or anything between them).

This hopefully means you can pick up a copy of the full game that has the correct text, but you'll have to make sure it's the right version.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just wanna say that I think Cloud's VA does some really incredible, subtle work in the demo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

that is also very good, yes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You mean unfathomably good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sapozhnik posted:

Is there a source for that? Wikipedia says something that that effect but the article it cites makes no such claim.

I figured that since FFXVI has been out for something like a year now and is still exclusive then 7R2 wasn't going to show up any time soon.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Squeezing through narrow cracks in sheer cliffs probably isn't going anywhere any time soon, even when it's no longer necessary to hide loading it's very convenient as a way to bottleneck the player and activate/deactivate area triggers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JBP posted:

What's the wait on PC? I think I might just wait to play it if it's a hundred hours long and PS performance mode isn't great.

Anywhere between 3 months and never

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To be clear, I'm assuming it'll be more like a year or two barring any unannounced DLC

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unlucky7 posted:

How important is it to know the events of Crisis Core to Rebirth? I am guessing fairly important, given the ending to Remake and the stinger to the Yuffie DLC, but I am approaching the point where while i do not think CC Reunion is terrible, I am starting to consider just watching a LP at this point.

It's not totally clear (trailer and demo spoilers here, nothing beyond that). Like, Genesis isn't in the Nibelheim flashback, but also at least one minor character from Crisis Core appears in one of the trailers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're like halfway done :(

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm nearing the end of Disc 2 on my FFVII OG playthrough and I'm pretty close to unlocking the last Limit Breaks for each character but I might just give up and use the battle cheats because getting LB gauge takes forever at my level.

Also I keep trying the Battle Square and losing

e: it'd probably be a lot easier if I had a Ribbon, but I appear to have hosed up and not gotten one

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 26, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

I mean you just proved why they changed it, because the issue isn't "the sky is unfamiliar." It is "in the world of FF7, the sky is where bad things come from, at least according to the Cetra." Aerith doesn't dislike the sky because she isn't used to it, she dislikes it because from the Planet's viewpoint things that come from the sky are a threat.

That's worse

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think patching in a change to the final line of a game four years after its release and five days before its sequel comes out is the opposite of making it "consistent," personally

The overwhelming majority of the people who are going to play Rebirth this week saw the original line, not the new one, so even if the new translation recurs in Rebirth most people won't have that context

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 26, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not consistent for the millions of people with no idea that change ever happened, dude

These are the perils of translation in serialized works. I'm sorry, but you kind of just have to let some things go.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

... are you for serious right now?

Because we're talking about Final Fantasy 7 and in particular the character named Aerith.

FF7 was not serialized. If OG Final Fantasy 7 came out in three parts and the character's name was changed from Aeris to Aerith between parts 1 and 2, do you not see how that would be jarring? But also, "her name is Aerith now" is a fairly small thing to make the audience accept in the grand scheme. The new Like a Dragon game changes the spelling of the name of at least one character from 7 and you just move on from it. The problem is that they're doing this so bizarrely late into the game's lifecycle that there's no possible way to make that line work as a callback for the majority of the audience.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If I published a novel, and then announced a sequel, and then put out a revised edition of the original one week before the sequel came out that changes some crucial phrasing relevant to the sequel, I think that would be confusing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Jurassic Park and Lost World literally did this (though in that case it was just a retcon). Other books have too. Manga often have to go back and adjust translations because it is serialized.

you seem deeply committed to misunderstanding my point

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think this is a huge deal, it's a bit of a bummer because the original line was really good but that's it. All I'm saying is that if the justification for changing the line is it comes back in Rebirth, then they waited way too loving long to make that change.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I am just absolutely bewildered that this one line changing is now a sign the translators are bad and the game has a 'persona-5 rear end translation' and in general it feels like an absolutely insane response to me over an incredibly trivial line fix. It isn't even just "Oh, I liked the original line better" but actively an insult and a sign the game's translation is going to be bad.

No one said the translators were bad, certainly not me. All that quote meant (and I am, admittedly, interpreting someone else's post) is that the line is kind of stiff. That's it. No one said Rebirth's translation will be bad!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

that's clearly a reference to that specific line and nothing else

please, relax

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, the use of patches and revised editions of games that effectively erase the original release is not some totally neutral thing, there's reasons to be skeptical of that, but that's a conversation I don't think anyone here wants to have right now. Point being, just because it's standard practice doesn't make it good, but that's enough of this topic, I think.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, what is the Unicorn thing?

It's a twitter thing that started yesterday, some idiot did the stupid "google translate every line in the demo and compare them to the localized script" thing and noted that the English version was more verbose/florid/what-have-you and decided this was DISGUSTING LOCALIZERS THINKING THEY'RE BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL SCRIPT. It was complete nonsense but it blew up to the point Yasumi Matsuno was chiming in saying he preferred Alexander O. Smith's localized script for Final Fantasy Tactics.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

we're not doing this anymore. silence.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 27, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Augus posted:

I accidentally overwrote my Nibelheim demo save with my Junon demo save, will i still get my kupo charm?

Without that save you're gonna have to replay the Nibelheim part anyway when the game comes out so might as well do it now

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

It gave me all the preorder/save data bonuses including saying I could skip the flashback but isn’t letting me skip poo poo

To my understanding you have to get to the combat tutorial before it lets you skip

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Really cool moment with the soundtrack five hours in: if you leave Kalm out the west exit, the music for that region is an instrumental version of Hollow, the ending theme from Remake

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Crime Hazard

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 4 region questions: Where can I find the driftwood? And can I actually access any of the stuff at the far east of the region? If I can't do that until I've done some stuff in Under Junon then whatever

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo (Chapter 4 sidequest), these kids hanging out in the zone so polluted with industrial runoff that just being there turns you into a frog is both loving hilarious and incredibly true

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Late Chapter 4: Barret in the sailor suit awkwardly covering up the gun arm with a bunch of bandages and a hook, lmao

And holy poo poo, these idiot Shinra troops still think I'm one of them, ahahaha

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BisbyWorl posted:

Speaking of, what was your strat for the fourth match?

Like, it's cute that they brought in the minigame from Intergrade. But heavily limiting your options, removing magic as a panic button, giving Greg a ton of stuff you don't, and putting it on a hard timer compared to Intergrade letting you win by having more towers is bullshit.

I was able to beat the Hard Mode version by choosing Barret/Tifa and the Offensive loadout. Placed a Ranged soldier and a trebuchet back a bit from the bottleneck so it could hit the group of enemies that would attack him, and a Cleric to heal the Ranged soldier. From there I could largely react to things on the fly.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Outside of the obvious bit one of my favorite moments is where he is told he can't compete in the card game and he *instantly* shifts to "I WANT TO SEE YOUR MANAGER!"

Speaking of that moment,

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I said come in! posted:

The 2nd half of Chapter 11 is loving horrible. I never want to have to repeat this part again.

--the CEO of Bed, Bath, and Beyond