Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I feel like I missed something: I can no longer enter Kalm, but I never actually managed to find the Queen's Blood games to play before I had to, uh, leave town. When will I get to go back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Just got through the Mithril Mines (we've been moving house, unpacking takes a while!) I have to say I think this section was the first solid miss for me. I just didn't love it and it dragged a bit! I kinda like the whole "something that was four screens is now a whole chapter" schtick of the Re: series but only when it adds interest, and if I'm entirely honest nothing here did for me really.

Junon looks fun though I'm not sure why the game keeps making me do anything other than play Queen's Blood? I need to play more Queens' Blood. I really hope they put this in FF14 TBH, it's a very solid game they have here.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I just beat the ninth QB player and I have some additional questions as to what the gently caress.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

big mean giraffe posted:

It was developed and published by Square Enix though? It was made by Business Unit 1, their main FF dev team.

Square Enix are a third party dev, yes.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Won the tournament, this is great, give me more QB forever please.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Just played through the second section where you play as Zack. What the gently caress is going on there? Are answers of any kind coming?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

If Chadley was revealed to be a delusion all along that would be such a ballay twist.

I, too, appreciated "Chadley has invented another AI, who he hates and is sexist at". It just seems like it could have been totally avoidable because you made her, dude, come on, this is on you. The fact that her voice comes through the controller giving you Lore Facts while you're engaged in these intense fights is a gag that makes me smile every time. (I actually like Mai more than Chadley, I'll admit.)

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The Remake series is very much a text in dialogue with the original game. The comparison to the Evangelion Redos was apt.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Really interesting by the stuff that Yuffie mentions in Mt. Corel about the interim Wutai government, which is very clearly some kind of Shines false flag, right?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Look at Viceroy Sarruf's name very closely.

Yes, I'd worked that out. What I'm not sure of is what's going on with Glenn who is the general Yuffie mentioned, and at what point he died and was replaced by a Jenova clone or whatever is going on with him.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah the biggest thing that's going to stick with me about Rebirth isn't actually specific to Final Fantasy VII. It's just that Rebirth, more than any recent FF game, has felt Final Fantasy as gently caress. Big explorable world, lots of variety in what you do and how you do it, heavy focus on character and charm, action combat system that still incorporates strong RPG elements and even a version of ATB, etc.

Rebirth is what I want a modern Final Fantasy to be.

Yeah I liked FF16 but FF17 should draw more from what Rebirth does I think. The difficulty really is creating a compelling setting and characters - Rebirth has the very strong original base to build on. I think 16 succeeded at this stuff for the most part but the game feels emptier.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

I definitely agree.

With 16, I really do like its setting and characters, but I think what I was missing was a real party dynamic. If characters like Jill and Joshua had been full party members (rather than NPC companions you have no gameplay interaction with) I think they'd have had more opportunity to shine within the narrative, for example.

Yes this is bang on. Could have had our lad Gav (the Gavster, Big Gav, Gav From The Toon) in there as well.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

I would kill for FF17 that's inspired by FF7R's combat but all the playable characters have jobs from past FF games (not inspired by jobs but literal jobs like Dragoon, Black Mage etc)

A job system-style thing, rather than the FF7-inspired materia setup here, would be interesting to see. It seems like a good basis to experiment on.

It's also very easy to imagine what a FF9 rework in a similar style could be like...

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Augus posted:

they traded a story about rebelling against higher powers that have treated people like worthless tools since time immemorial for just another story about rebelling against a higher power that has treated people like worthless tools since time immemorial (while wearing goth eyeliner)

I completely agree but this probably isn't the thread to relitigate it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

My partner (a loving and compassionate person, after me a bleeding heart) keeps asking if there's any way we can bully Chadley more, perhaps by shoving him in a barrel and pushing him down a hill.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Regarding the Chadley thing: I hadn't really considered that people actually wouldn't like being annoyed. I find him annoying and I find that a good thing - I don't just want to feel positive emotions from video games. He's just a little doofus! It's like the bits of Death Stranding that are boring on purpose, as a bit: it distinctly enhances the game for me. I guess this isn't a thing everyone feels, fair enough!

It's also inherently funny that he Chadley'd himself with Mai, because it immediately invites the possibility that Mai will create her own robot helper, who she will also find annoying.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I find the suspend feature on the PS5 a legitimately "next-gen" feature - though I dunno if the PS4 could do something similar. It's so convenient!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Just played through the section of Gongaga where you go to the place and fight some people, including one in a mech. The stuff afterwards was Hmm. Big Thoughts.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

It's really funny to me that Cait Sith is a centrist shill. "Shinra does tragedies but also resorts so who's to say if it's bad or not?"

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

it's a good look into the things Reeve has to tell himself to justify staying on the Shinra board coupled with "if I wasn't in this position someone much much worse would be"

It's genuinely a really interesting study of the character and I'm interested to see us get more actual Reeve time!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Is there going to be a good point to go round and mop up open world stuff that needs finishing? Don't really feel like finishing Gongaga right now, kinda just want to follow the plot for a bit: but I do want to come back and do all of the little tasks! Is there going to be a point when things start towards the endgame in a definitive way?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Wamsutta posted:

boy this chicken catching poo poo in gongaga is powerfully dumb huh

the chickens broke me

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I cannot stress enough how worth it the stupid chicken fishing quest is.

It's so nice to see Red be a hero.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

My partner really loves all the open world stuff so they played through Gongaga this even while I sat with them and the cats. Now we stopped tonight at the cave dungeon in Cosmo.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I'm genuinely wondering if we've accidentally set the difficulty wrong. I beat that whole fight without killing both hands in any phase - just ground it down.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Oftentimes there are things I read in these threads that genuinely make me wonder if we're playing the same game

In my defence we hadn't specced into lightning. I just kept hitting it!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Hey uh Gi Nattack is destroying us, what do we do?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I feel like Part 3 almost wants to be a different genre? Like this is the one of the three that wants to be an open world exploration type game. Part 3 could do something wildly different, I don't know quite what yet.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Now that I know that “I am so, so bored” is to the tune of Yuffie’s theme I can’t unhear it, and I must share this cursed knowledge with all of you.

God I love her so much. They really nailed the "annoying but lovable little sister" energy. I love her obsession with materia against all sense or logic.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Going to be real fun going to Wutai, I assume next game.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I think the Aerith/Tifa/Cloud stuff is really interesting and, sadly, very realistic. It's really hard to support someone who you care about but keeps hurting you. I like the clear signals that Cloud is not OK, that everyone realises this, but ultimately it's not like they can *do* anything about it. But I do agree that they could have pushed back more. It feels like the Gongaga Incident ought to have pushed Tifa to confront Cloud but sadly it's almost the opposite. Like you say, though, it's quite raw and real. I'm looking forward to the next game for sure...

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

I think there's also the fact that Cloud is loving scary. They show us a couple times in Rebirth how terrifying Cloud can be when he gets violent. After seeing him butcher a whole squad of troopers and later coldly stab a SOLDIER who was begging for his life, I sure as hell wouldn't be confronting him about poo poo.

Something I do think Rebirth is pretty successful with is showing how Cloud is hurting the people around him, though. A lot of the expanded elements of Cloud's mental state also show us how much it disquiets the people around him, and how afraid of him they sometimes are. It makes it all even more disturbing.

It's tragic too, because it's not like he really wants to be like this or even really understands that he is.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

"I'm afraid I have composed a song in which I, Yuffie, am based, and you, Shinra, are cringe, so that's gg no res, tyfp."

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I feel pretty sure they'll do the whole stealing materia thing but they'll give it a lot more context and logic.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Holy poo poo, the Cosmo Canyon protorelic quest starts with a hell of a cutscene.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Wedge double fisting sandwiches in the truck on the way to an intense mission lol

I paused to post that and then next up we have the most absolute last second cut to not see him hit the ground :( rip wedge ilu

He died as he lived: full of sandwiches.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Huge shoutout to turner the shinra grunt queens blood player in nibelhem who has a whole spiel about how he's the best at slacking off to play cards and calls you comrade

we stan a reverse wage theft king

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I really enjoyed the bit where Cloud proudly tells Tifa he's remembered Zack, who fell in the water, on the way up to the reactor, and she's like "oh great cool why don't I tell Aerith about that". I like to imagine their conversation later.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Chapter 11: How dare they not give me an achievement for playing Tifa's Theme on the piano in Tifa's room :mad:

Also is Vincent a loving chuuni? They were intentionally taking the piss out of him before the boss fight, right? Had to have been.

That was certainly my interpretation. Chuuni-rear end motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

I mean The Lore of QB says that the Shadowblood Queen's blood created all the world's fiends, which sounds Jenova as hell. Throw in the whole 'she was good and kind before suddenly becoming a bloodthirsty tyrant' bit and I think the implication is that she got nabbed and replaced by Jenova.

I understand that in the extended lore there's some kind of personification of the planet who is vaguely emerald-themed, too?