Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Junon-area sidequest grumbling, I never wanted to play Fort Condor ever again.

Speaking of, what was your strat for the fourth match?

Like, it's cute that they brought in the minigame from Intergrade. But heavily limiting your options, removing magic as a panic button, giving Greg a ton of stuff you don't, and putting it on a hard timer compared to Intergrade letting you win by having more towers is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there no way to respawn the white wolf in the Grasslands? Missed scanning it because I didn't realise scans didn't carry over if you retry and I think that's why I have 15/16 enemies scanned to unlock the Enemy Skill fight....

Like an Enemy Intel fight? Just go back to the area and you'll get a prompt to hold triangle to redo the fight.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Oxxidation posted:

i used the fourth board, base defense or whatever it was called, with cloud and tifa as the heroes and set down ballistae at the two chokepoints while blitzing the other side of the map with everything i had. there's still an element of luck in how fast you get to gilgamesh before he can overwhelm you with his specialty units, but the ballistae help chip away at invaders and distract them if they get past your units. once everything converged on greg i summoned another ballista right across from him, along with two clerics and more ranged units. the clerics kept all my melee characters alive while the ranged stayed far enough away so they wouldn't get caught in his Stop spell

:shepface:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I wonder if Hard Mode will put some kind of restriction on fast travel. Since I find it odd how you have to use a cushion to use rest stop benches, but there's nothing stopping you from popping over to a normal bench somewhere else on the map and warping back to the rest stop after healing up.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really enjoy how much it feels like they recognize how much of FF7 was random-rear end minigames and they just leaned into it even more for the remakes.

Like, I'm expecting the Sub Battle sequences to be like an underwater ace combat or something at this point

7R3 opens with a complete remake of one of those snowboarding games from the PS1/N64 era.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Actually wait.

There's a chance we might get to see Red XIII on a snowboard.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

bewilderment posted:

Aerith feels like the hardest to build ATB with, I dunno what the secret is there.

I'm almost certain they nerfed the hell out of her ATB gain, since I remember getting tons of meter against multiple targets back in Remake.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Harrow posted:

These are not Rebirth spoilers but something mentioned in the Remake Ultimania: you're right. There's more than one Sephiroth at work here, or so the Remake Ultimania said. They drew a distinction between flashback Sephiroth, hallucination Sephiroth, "OG" Sephiroth (the one who shows up through the Sephiroth clones), and finally the one at the end in the "Edge of Creation" scene from Remake.

I dunno if there's much reason to draw a distinction between the first three as they're all just sorta different versions of the main Sephiroth, but it's notable that there's a very different one operating in the story, too.

"He's Sephiroth! He's Sephiroth! I'm Sephiroth! Are there any other Sephiroths I should know about?"

"Shall I give you Donbei?"

"...I'm outta here."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just got out of the Mythril Mines and started chapter 4. Am I able to go back to the Grasslands any time soon? I missed a few of the combat objectives in the combat intel fights and wanted to do them but I guess I should have realized it wouldn’t let me warp back right away.

An early quest in Junon opens up fast travel between areas.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Square you sons of bitches you better give us an actual Sister Ray model kit down the line.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Capfalcon posted:

Honestly, I always thought the joke of his fights is that he's not anywhere in the same weight class as Cloud. Cloud can counter most of his attacks and odds are will have the fire materia to toast him.

If you hit him with Assess it says he's a class 3-C SOLDIER. The dude is literally bottom of the barrel.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Chadley was created by Hojo right?

I'm convinced this motherfucker is evil and we've just been feeding Shinra world intel this whole time.

His entire sideplot in Remake was him breaking free from Shinra's control and being able to do his own thing.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I said come in! posted:

You know what Rebirth reminds me of? This game feels more like FF15 in that its about some pals on a road trip loving around, and sometimes a melodramatic anime plot that makes no sense happens. The difference here is that Rebirth is actually good.

Now if only Cloud would use his new camera to take mid-journey snaps automatically.

For all my gripes about 15, the steadily growing photo album was fun and having to look through the entire thing right before the final boss was an extremely cool moment.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Finished chapter 8.

Man, I liked the whole emotional core of Barret vs Dyne, but the whole 'now he has a giant junk arm for phase 3 because ???????' immediately followed by Palmer hopping out of his frog mech to spank his rear end at me was a bit much.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

And Red's been stuck in his lab for who knows how long.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Don't forget swapping Assess around during any Cloud-less fights.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

guts and bolts posted:

I want a standalone QB game really badly. As it stands, QB kinda rules, and all of the difficult QB stuff is gimmicky poo poo that made stuff like FF8's Triple Triad insufferable; you stop playing "actual" QB and start doing survival missions and trick boards and blah blah. I want to play games online with my Titan/Aerith/Cloud/Choco&Mog/UPA deck man this poo poo is fun as hell just let me play it more

So how long until they add QB as yet another FF14 sidegame.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Rhonne posted:

Fort Condor was better in Intergrade when you were able to customize your load out more.

Also you can win on time out so long as you had more towers standing, so worst case scenario you could blitz down one tower at the start of the match then stall.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Teratrain posted:

I did wonder if they were gonna (QB) make Jenova the queen, since the whole idea of coming together with the power of the Queen's blood is Reunion as hell, although I get why they wouldn't want to dampen their existential horror creature by involving her in a collectible card game.

I mean The Lore of QB says that the Shadowblood Queen's blood created all the world's fiends, which sounds Jenova as hell. Throw in the whole 'she was good and kind before suddenly becoming a bloodthirsty tyrant' bit and I think the implication is that she got nabbed and replaced by Jenova.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Huh, turns out it's possible to get a cross-counter finish.

Popped Moogle Magic during the Yin Yang fight with Cait, and I'm not entirely sure what happened but one second I was winding up for an attack and the next I was watching the victory cutscene while a 'Cait Sith is unconscious' pop up appeared.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Also, I love how it's just an unspoken Thing that there's something deeply, deeply wrong with Cloud. You don't even know that the rest of the party is intentionally not bringing it up until Barret says something about Cloud when you reach Nibelheim and Red instantly shoves him.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Also also finding the lifespring on the way to the Nibel reactor and Cloud just going into a trance and repeating what Sephiroth said five years ago was an extremely creepy moment.

I'm not sure if it was just the lighting, but I think Cloud started to get Sephi's cat eyes during that scene.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

wow that sure is a lot of game that just opened up huh

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I found chocobo racing to be annoying just because you lose speed stacks whenever something bumps you. So once you're in the lead you're at max speed forever, but getting into first means constantly getting bumped by another racer and bleeding speed, making it harder to actually pull ahead.

Also gently caress the cactuar doors.

e: Also I wish they'd let you buffer a drift while gliding. I had to skip a flight shortcut on a few races because I kept landing, tried to drift a bit too early, and slammed into a wall instead.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I just ignored the middle row, put win boosters on top and bottom, then used Gi Nattak to buff both of them.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Nah that was standard. I bounced between a main team and a side team for whoever needed to learn an ability when doing overworld stuff.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

lines posted:

Which is essentially what is going on in Rebirth, right?

Pretty much, don't forget that bit at Corel where a black cloak walks off the bridge and Cloud comes close to doing the same thing.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

The way they expanded and fleshed out the rest of the party dynamic is probably my favourite part of Rebirth, there's so many nice little touches and watching how they handle Cloud as the story progresses is so good - it's very much a story from Cloud's POV and the way that becomes increasingly unreliable is handled super well imo

I still think my favorite bit of this is seeing Cloud rewrite his memories in real time to retcon Zack into the scene at the river. Just the bare minimum to keep his tattered psyche intact, with zero effort to address smaller details like 'how did I end up with this massive sword, anyways?'

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Cavelcade posted:

I had to pause to go and grind AP to get my second First Strike materia to three stars

I'm surprised you weren't already using both. The first one has been glued to Cloud all game so he could instantly pop Assess against any new enemy, while Cait and Aerith shared the second depending on if I wanted to instantly summon the moogle or if I wanted to open with ATB Boost -> Arcane Ward -> Magic.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I really hope there's a fight against Elena at Icicle Inn in R3 that you can instantly end by dodging Elena Knuckle.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

GateOfD posted:

What has Reno been doing all game

iirc Reno's JP VA died while Rebirth was being developed, so they cut down his screentime rather than immediately recast him.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Willo567 posted:

they should make queen's blood a real tcg

How long until they made a dedicated queen's blood mode for XIV?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Augus posted:

The main issue I had with the endgame party shuffling was healing materia, particularly Revive. Like some of the combinations the game forces you into I just didn’t have anyone kitted out for healing and my supply of potions was running dangerously low.

The game is at least nice enough to give you Yuffie for all the bits that require elemental weaknesses so you always have a fallback.

By late game I had heal + revive on everyone, as prep for hard mode if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Digital Flower posted:

Also I'm not sure the 5 hour and 14 phase Sephiroth fight was entirely necessary, or what they even have left for him in the next game shy of repeatedly blowing up the solar system.

Anyways, since I'm thread-crashing here, I have 10, 12 and 13 in my backlog. Which one has the best vibes and chocobo content? 16 sounds miserable.

I mean multiverse bullshit does give him a way to repeatedly blow up the solar system... :v:

10 has ffffffffffffffucking Chocobo Racing that you have to beat with a final time of 0.00 for an ultimate weapon item, 12... has them? I guess? I honestly forgot if they do anything with them aside from being a timed method to get around maps faster.

13-1 uses chocobos for an item search mechanic, and 13-2 has a heavy metal version of the chocobo theme and is therefore the best.