Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I'm about 75% of the way through Remake, and it's pretty good. I was sort of dubious of them splitting the game into three parts (especially at $70 a pop), but the attention to detail and expansion of the world is pretty great. I'm still struggling a lot with the combat, mostly because I keep moving all my Materia around as characters join/leave the party so I keep walking into battles with stuff missing. Other than that, it's a pretty novel system that forces you to adapt a lot more than in other games I've seen.

I have a PS5, but I'm playing the PS4 version of Remake because I had it free from PS+ several years ago. It doesn't come with the Yuffie DLC, which I would probably pay for if it was like $15 alone. But it seems like the only way I can get it is to pay for Intergrade, or to get PS+ Extra/Platinum. If I upgrade my PS+ subscription, will I just have to download a whole new game for the PS5 version, which presumably wouldn't have all my save data on it?

There's an import save function on the PS5 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
When I did the Grasslands, I kept noticing that the overworld theme there looped before I'd expect it to. It stood out so much, and I thought it was a pretty weird choice, but I forgot all about it once I moved on to Junon.

It hit me like a ton of bricks ~80 hours later when I heard the (Chapter 11) Nibel area overworld theme. I'm not sure I can fully put it into words, but it's an absolutely perfect choice. They really fuckin know what they're doing with this trilogy, god drat.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Okay, I'm going to need that music cue clue spelled out a bit more?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Okay, I'm going to need that music cue clue spelled out a bit more?

The entire second half of the Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII (starting at the timestamp here) is just missing from the Grasslands rendition entirely. It's the somewhat darker sounding half of the track. The Nibel area's main theme is that missing second half.

I think at least part of the reason it's so effective, at least to me, is (OG spoilers)it's the half of the song that plays during the revelation that Cloud was a security trooper and was actually there the whole time, tossing Sephiroth into the lifestream and saving Tifa. Otherwise, I just feel like it really fits the area incredibly well just in terms of overall tone.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Fortis posted:

The entire second half of the Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII (starting at the timestamp here) is just missing from the Grasslands rendition entirely. It's the somewhat darker sounding half of the track. The Nibel area's main theme is that missing second half.

I think at least part of the reason it's so effective, at least to me, is (OG spoilers)it's the half of the song that plays during the revelation that Cloud was a security trooper and was actually there the whole time, tossing Sephiroth into the lifestream and saving Tifa. Otherwise, I just feel like it really fits the area incredibly well just in terms of overall tone.

Dope. I don't love every reimagining of the old tracks, but this soundtrack slaps and is tremendous support for the storytelling.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Johnny's sidequest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD_ag67tH3I

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm having trouble with Gi Natak in hard mode. Does anybody know if his attacks are fire element? Fire+Elemental would make the fight a cake walk if that's the case.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Interlude 2

okay we're back here

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m at the “rescue Aerith from Shinra” part of Remake and I think I may just skip to Rebirth. I already know the story because of internet spoilers years ago and Rebirth seems like it improves a lot of stuff from the first game.

So basically in Remake, we defeat “fate” which basically just acts as a narrative device to say “hey it’s not going to be the same story as the original game”? Also, it’s implied Sephiroth is like, the OG game Sephiroth or some sort of multiverse Sephiroth or something?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Personally, I wouldn't. The shinra tower has some of the coolest setpieces in the game, and some absolutely banger soundtracks.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

deoju posted:

I'm having trouble with Gi Natak in hard mode. Does anybody know if his attacks are fire element? Fire+Elemental would make the fight a cake walk if that's the case.

Press the touchpad to bring up the Assess menu in the battle and then hit R1 (I think) and it'll show a list of the boss's attacks and the attributes of those attacks.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

berenzen posted:

Personally, I wouldn't. The shinra tower has some of the coolest setpieces in the game, and some absolutely banger soundtracks.

Is the tower a “once you’re here you can’t leave and it’s the endgame”? I have some side quests I don’t want to finish right now, like this Chocobo stuff, but it seems like I should before I hit the tower.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is the tower a “once you’re here you can’t leave and it’s the endgame”? I have some side quests I don’t want to finish right now, like this Chocobo stuff, but it seems like I should before I hit the tower.

Yes, once you leave the slums for the last time you can't complete any further sidequests until you unlock chapter select post game.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You don't need to do all the sidequests if you don't want to. Iirc the only thing that's locked behind it is an elemental materia and a couple weapon handbooks, which is not necessary if you're not doing hardmode. The chocobo sidequest specifically gives you fast travel around the slums, but otherwise has nothing else locked behind it (other than aforementioned elemental materia)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One note about the final boss sequence of Remake (sorta-kinda spoilers but Yorkshire Pudding already knows the broad strokes): I'm not sure if you're so much killing Fate Itself as you are punching out a really big and strong Whisper trying to keep your party from leaving Midgar and possibly derailing the future that the Planet wants to come to pass.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Ometeotl posted:

Press the touchpad to bring up the Assess menu in the battle and then hit R1 (I think) and it'll show a list of the boss's attacks and the attributes of those attacks.
:stare:

I wish I had known that 150 hours ago.:lol:

Thanks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I will say that Shinra Tower is a fairly tedious part of Remake but having played through a couple times now, I also think it's tedium is really overstated. Yes, even the Drum. I mean I'm not saying it's my favorite part of the game, just that it's not the absolute mire that it's sometimes treated as.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

One note about the final boss sequence of Remake (sorta-kinda spoilers but Yorkshire Pudding already knows the broad strokes): I'm not sure if you're so much killing Fate Itself as you are punching out a really big and strong Whisper trying to keep your party from leaving Midgar and possibly derailing the future that the Planet wants to come to pass.

I think Rebirth recontextualizes is in that it's Sephiroth tricking you into killing the King of the Wispers so that he can become their new king instead and use them to force reality/realities to do what he wants them to do now. Only now he's being checked by Giga Aerith or whoever or whatever she is with her White Whispers from outside the bounds of reality and he's super pissed about it but in a very Not Mad kind of way.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I liked all dungeons in FF7R and I kinda wished Rebirth had more of them instead of open world stuff.

You start to notice that your party is eerily quiet outside battles in open world while dungeons have lots of funny/interesting banter.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I think Rebirth recontextualizes is in that it's Sephiroth tricking you into killing the King of the Wispers so that he can become their new king instead and use them to force reality/realities to do what he wants them to do now. Only now he's being checked by Giga Aerith or whoever or whatever she is with her White Whispers from outside the bounds of reality and he's super pissed about it but in a very Not Mad kind of way.

Weirdly this was my reading after Remake, even, so yeah.

(Rebirth spoilers within) The main distinction I wanted to talk about is just that I think it's less "the literal embodiment of fate" and more "King Whisper" like you said. One thing I'm not entirely clear on is if King Whisper was trying to stop Sephiroth specifically from leaving and the party's just caught in the crossfire, or if they also wanted to keep the party from leaving as a specific target, too.

Aerith does seem to understand the consequences, so maybe she understood on some level her ability to control the White Whispers as well. Knocking out The Biggest Whisper provided both Sephiroth and Aerith the opportunity to grab the reins of fate. Well, once she has her future memories in the White Materia back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Big fan of how much of a little poo poo Yuffie is

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

She has very powerful little sibling energy with Cloud and it's great

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ometeotl posted:

Wait, what?! :psyboom:

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Lmao this loving game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

I think Rebirth recontextualizes is in that it's Sephiroth tricking you into killing the King of the Wispers so that he can become their new king instead and use them to force reality/realities to do what he wants them to do now. .

Remake already heavily hinted at that being the case, it wasn't just a thing in Rebirth.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Ometeotl posted:

I got through all of remake before I realised you could access assess info with touchpad and now it turns out I made it through all of rebirth without realising this lmao

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Augus posted:

Remake already heavily hinted at that being the case, it wasn't just a thing in Rebirth.

Yeah, Rebirth just makes it explicit.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Finished Rebirth tonight. It was another huge nostalgia trip, and old or new, I loved most of it.

Not entirely sold on all the multiverse stuff, but that was already out of the bag.

Chocobo racing was pure happiness for me, and I'd buy that as a stand-alone game in a heartbeat.

However, some of the optional endgame fights did their best to ruin it all. I left the Ultimate Party Animal unfinished because the gigantuar and gargantuar duo, only barely managed the weakest Odin, and straight up gave up on the Gilgamesh island.

To be fair, I think I'm just bad at action games.

Also I'm not sure the 5 hour and 14 phase Sephiroth fight was entirely necessary, or what they even have left for him in the next game shy of repeatedly blowing up the solar system.

Anyways, since I'm thread-crashing here, I have 10, 12 and 13 in my backlog. Which one has the best vibes and chocobo content? 16 sounds miserable.

Digital Flower fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 9, 2024

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Digital Flower posted:

Anyways, since I'm thread-crashing here, I have 10, 12 and 13 in my backlog. Which one has the best vibes and chocobo content? 16 sounds miserable.

Oh, 10 certainly has chocobo content...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gold Saucer Gold Saucer Gold Saucer

This is loving wild what the gently caress

E: AAAAAH THE MODELS

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 9, 2024

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Digital Flower posted:

16 isn't miserable, you just feel like they really had to stick hard to their budget, and all the fun stuff people were expecting from 16 in terms of side areas and side content and a general fleshed-out world ended up in 7R2 instead.

Anyway 10 has excellent vibes. It also has chocobo content. These two things are not related. If you enjoyed the FF7R games then I'd say that 10 is the next natural step in terms of party vibes and decent plotting. FFX has a good plot and themes! I even think Tidus is good once you've recruited your whole party!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also you will be burdened with the knowledge that the laughing scene is intentional it's supposed to be fake that's the entire point why do people keep calling this bad voice acting

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also you will be burdened with the knowledge that the laughing scene is intentional it's supposed to be fake that's the entire point why do people keep calling this bad voice acting

It is because, Americans are incredibly stupid, op

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also X has a pretty fun battle system all about manipulating the turn order

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Digital Flower posted:

Also I'm not sure the 5 hour and 14 phase Sephiroth fight was entirely necessary, or what they even have left for him in the next game shy of repeatedly blowing up the solar system.

I mean multiverse bullshit does give him a way to repeatedly blow up the solar system... :v:

10 has ffffffffffffffucking Chocobo Racing that you have to beat with a final time of 0.00 for an ultimate weapon item, 12... has them? I guess? I honestly forgot if they do anything with them aside from being a timed method to get around maps faster.

13-1 uses chocobos for an item search mechanic, and 13-2 has a heavy metal version of the chocobo theme and is therefore the best.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

bewilderment posted:

16 isn't miserable, you just feel like they really had to stick hard to their budget, and all the fun stuff people were expecting from 16 in terms of side areas and side content and a general fleshed-out world ended up in 7R2 instead.

Anyway 10 has excellent vibes. It also has chocobo content. These two things are not related. If you enjoyed the FF7R games then I'd say that 10 is the next natural step in terms of party vibes and decent plotting. FFX has a good plot and themes! I even think Tidus is good once you've recruited your whole party!

I like 16, but I'm personally glad I played it before Rebirth because while I enjoyed the music, characters, story, mechanics, world, etc, Rebirth will ruin you on side-quests.

16 has horrible side-quests that don't pay off until the end and with so many hours in-between they really lose their impact. Also, Rebirth does a great job giving most of the characters great things to say, do, and play.

16 does Jill and Joshua dirty.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think im closing in on the end but i needed to point out that Cosmo Canyon kind of turning into a tourist trap-ish/bougie "eat pray love"-rear end resort in the desert was extremely funny. also all the signs pointing to it reminded me of Wall Drug

also i love red xiii. both in and out of combat. he can cast Haste on the entire dang party

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Digital Flower posted:

Oh yeah, 10 for sure. Excellent vibes and IMO one of the best stories and battle systems in the series. Just a great game all around.

Perhaps lighter on the chocobo content than 7 Rebirth but that's a high bar to clear, of course.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also i love red xiii. both in and out of combat. he can cast Haste on the entire dang party

He rules and is my friend

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

10 has a bunch of great characters and the pacing is pretty solid throughout. It will mostly let you get away with being lazy with the combat, but learn the system anyway because it's pretty good and there's a few difficulty spikes that will feel really bad if you hit them without actually knowing what you're doing. Also bring a tissue.

I like 12's world and battle system more than most people seem to. The characters aren't as strong as 10's but they get the job done, and it's actually pretty cool setting up Gambits that let your party handle the small stuff so you can focus on the bigger picture. People will say it's Fantasy Star Wars and they aren't entirely wrong, but Matsuno's brain worms are different from Lucas's.

13... is alright. Mostly it fails on hooking you with relatable party members and it takes a long time before you get out of corridor dungeon land. The combat system is fairly unique and you can do some fun things with it. It has some excellent music and the scale of the world is pretty cool once it does open up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

I like 12's world and battle system more than most people seem to. The characters aren't as strong as 10's but they get the job done, and it's actually pretty cool setting up Gambits that let your party handle the small stuff so you can focus on the bigger picture. People will say it's Fantasy Star Wars and they aren't entirely wrong, but Matsuno's brain worms are different from Lucas's.

Yeah I'm a big fan of 12 and would definitely also recommend playing it. Definitely more divisive than 10, but it definitely hits just right for me.