Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I’m at like 45 hours and just hit Gold Saucer and the mini games are taking like a full 2 points off my score for this game. There’s just so many of them and they gate upgrades and gear behind them. I don’t want to play Mario Party. What the gently caress is this. Every mini game except Queen’s Blood, which rules, is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

JBP posted:

Do spell blade twice with Cloud and they will both have 2 bars. Cast a ward on someone else and start blasting. When the enemies look at you and come over press triangle to teleport to the ward and unleash incredible amounts of magical bullshit.

My brain just isn’t built for this sort of combat depth, this is brilliant and not one piece of it would have occurred to me lol

I basically don’t use Aerith for all the same reasons as the person you’re replying to

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The prison tourney of cloud against the two purple dogs is making me want to delete this game

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

thebardyspoon posted:

Put one of them to sleep and then use haste, firaga against the non sleeping one. Grab the bubbles they spawn cause they give you buffs if you intercept them and stop them getting the buffs. I found it too annoying so came back later after I beat the game though admittedly.

I read the Sleep tip and have tried it repeatedly and it never seems to work. I’m level 31 playing on dynamic and it’s a level 34 challenge so maybe I’ll come back later

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Like most solo Cloud fights it ultimately turns into a "use punisher mode counter" test. From what I recall if you counter the attack they do after playing dead they get pressured and putting one into an early stagger is the key to winning the fight. Predictably it gets much more manageable once its one on one.

Yeah trying a mix of fira and punisher stance counters (have tried sleep, regen, and haste a bunch too) I’m about 40 attempts deep and haven’t even killed one of them, this is just insanely frustrating

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Is there any way to skip chocobo racing? Lol I am never replaying this game for any reason. I have absolutely had it with mini games.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I just want to explore and fight stuff and the game prevents me from doing it at every turn lol. gently caress your mini games and forced party lock corridor sequences jfc

For an open world game you get unbelievably little free roam time, yet simultaneously it feels like the story pacing is glacial

The parts I like I really like but all the rest makes it such a struggle to keep going and having paid $70 is the main reason I still am. I just want to do combat let me do combat

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Im on chapter 9 and on god the phoenix fight is the hardest thing in this game so far. I can’t even come close to a win. It doesn’t seem doable at all

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

You just kill all the little guys and then kill phoenix because it’s invincible until you kill all the little guys.

And then everyone dies to rebirth flame or drat near it and then it summons three more adds :-/

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

why don't you just reduce its power then

this isn't like sekiro or something where you can no-hit a fight if your reflexes are sharp enough, if you try to fight everything at the hardest available difficulty without exacting setups then you're going to get stomped. hard mode's the exception because it's opt-in and at that point you're expected to have most or all of the tools needed to deal with the challenge

reduce the difficulty, collect your prize and move on

I didn’t want to beat it below full power and I actually just managed it. Cloud/Aerith/Barrett got it done :) Barrett the only death surprisingly, I mis-timed Healing Wind oops

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

crimson mare is loving brutal jeez

no tank in the party makes it difficult just keeping everyone alive let alone doing any meaningful damage

E: aw hell it even has a short runback and cutscene to skip each attempt

I keep getting like 3 shot, I might turn the difficulty to easy for this one. Been in dynamic all game but this isn’t a good time lol

Okay I got it done. Didn’t change difficulty to do it either. Phew

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 17, 2024

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

boy this chicken catching poo poo in gongaga is powerfully dumb huh

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

What am I missing with red anyway? I love him as a character but never want to control him it just feels like he doesn’t really do anything. His melee is short little swipes with a weird range of motion, Stardust Ray is one of the coolest abilities in the game, but his ATB builds up insanely slow. You’re just supposed to sit there and block? That’s super boring :-/

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Thanks 4 tha red tips friends I’ll give him another look!

It’s legit hard locking down a primary party in this game I want to spend more time figuring out everyone and picking 3 can be rough.

My main appears to have become Cloud/Yuffie/Barrett though. Haven’t come up on anything I can’t beat with that team. Yuffie is probably the most fun character in the game for me, she has all kinds of offense on lock and her moveset looks badass. She’s a little annoying but that’s part of her charm lol

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Are they serious with this mushroom picking poo poo in Gongaga? Insanely cool soundtrack aside this region is just a two pack of rear end from start to finish good god

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Just being repeatedly washed by any enemy encounter that involves one or more Gorgon Mane like I can’t even hit these things and their magic just annihilates me

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

really wish there were loadouts in the game. Coming across a fight like scarlet, having to completely reconfigure materia on three characters and then remember where everything was after gets pretty annoying

Also, genuinely, how do you deliberately get to use synergy abilities? I’m 75 hours in and just kind of enjoy them as a happy accident when that menu option lights up and I get to use one

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

is the tonberry king fight just a joke/meme or have people won this

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

What's giving you trouble? If you just can't dodge his insta-kill stuff equip a Safety Bit (you should have one from the mine dungeon)

I only have 1, can you get two more?

I’ll use it but I’m expecting I’m still gonna die because I can’t do enough damage to him before he gets everyone

The AI doesn’t keep away from him or evade rancor so only the character I’m playing sufficiently runs away from him

This sucks lol

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

... she's 16.

Try swapping to like Barret and Yuffie. Ranged combat is a big help there.

Yeah I just won, did it by switching between everyone and just keeping range while filling ATB

Problem is I stole the crown my first attempt and assumed that filled the requirement, the time I won I was so focused on not dying I didn’t steal it again and now I got the lovely crown. I’m not doing that right again so Johnny is stuck with it lol

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Boy the Chadley challenge where you just get Earthbound and can’t loving do anything is fun

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I can’t do enough damage quickly enough to these things to stagger anything let alone do it with 2 characters when one gets bound, this fight is straight up enraging lol

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Head Case is going to make me cry, the goddamn AI keep attacking the two little guys and ruining it for me and I can’t solo the three I just get wiped so fast lol. I’m really not good at video games I feel like I don’t remember FF games being hard and this poo poo is basically a souls like to me

I think it’s time I turn off dynamic mode

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

i saw what they wanted me to do for head case and immediately went in on easy with just barret

the difficulty settings below hard mode are there for your enjoyment. i usually stick to dynamic because on easy/normal everything vaporizes when i look at it cross-eyed, but there are times when it's just needlessly punishing

I’m trying just Barrett on easy but I can’t do enough damage and the little guys end up suiciding

Also why does lock on not actually mean lock on in this game? I’ve had this problem since the tutorial. I can’t consistently actually lock on to the target I want. And when I do it automatically changes anyway

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

The lock on will switch when the flayer teleports so watch for that - you can always switch targets with the menu up too if you want to be extra sure of who you’re targeting.

I just did this trial earlier and I would strongly recommend at least one other party member and just go for synergy as fast as possible possible as that’s the only thing that will pressure the flayer and it makes it significantly faster. You do have to babysit them but you’ll be switching back and forth a lot to build ATB so it’s no biggie

I can’t seem to keep the AI from killing the little dudes, even switching off constantly. I’m over 50 attempts on this now, 20 on Dynamic and 30 on Easy. I think I’m writing off the VR challenges from this point and just rushing the rest of the story. A challenge that punishes you for killing something, get the gently caress out of here. I’ve kinda had it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

i'm 70 hours in and still using the umbral blade because of all its materia slots. disappointing that as badass as the crystal sword looks it's got dogshit for materia slots

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

In here to join the “gently caress glide de chocobo” organization

Can I just blow off doing any more of this after getting the weapon out of the 1st course?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My singularly focused nerd rage prevented me from actually quitting the ”kill the mind flayer first” challenge and I got it done (Easy mode lol)

Cloud/Malboro Orb/Magnify & Sleep/ATB Boost

And then Yuffie and Barrett with just kind of my normal loadout for them but everyone had stuff to enhance ATB gains.

Took a couple attempts to be able to sleep the two brains far away enough from the mind flayer that going to town on it didn’t wake the brains up but once I got that start it was over for the flayer pretty quickly. Only had to re-sleep the little guys once or twice.

Back to Dynamic. That fight wasn’t fun but I’d be annoyed if I hadn’t done it

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I’m completely stuck having been turned over to free range in Cosmo Canyon. There’s places all over my map I literally can’t find any way to get to. All the chocco ramps have ropes blocking them, so if I’m supposed to be using these to glide around I’m baffled as to how. There’s no in game prompt or information telling me wtf to do at this point. wtf.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Thundarr posted:

The ones blocked by ropes are for the Glide de Chocobo side quest / mini game. There are other ramps marked by yellow paint and chocobo tracks that you can just use, scattered around the map. If you look around for the hovering plants, they're generally set in paths that lead away from ramps so you can find some of them that way.

I did the mini games, I just finished the Gi Caves. No in-game indication of how I get to anywhere other than the story quest.

This is what my map looks like. I can’t get into the middle or to any of my quests for love or money. I have spent an hour trying and I’m stumped.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Gliding Range #1 is next to the Chocobo stable, like literally fifty feet SW of the entrance. There’s also one just south of the bridge to Cosmo Canyon. Try jumping off of one.

There’s also an elevator in Cosmo Canyon by the shops that takes you down.

Edit: I just zoomed in on your map and you have Gliding Range 1 marked as a fast travel point. Go there and choose by Chocobo and then just run toward.

Ugh how did I miss that. Thanks. I still don’t remember anything other than you pointing that out as a “use this to get down into the canyon” path lol.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Having a hell of a time navigating Cosmo Canyon, there’s map markers I just can’t find any way to access, the nearest chocco ramps are too far away, can’t overcome the verticality of it. I’m so tired

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I have been using umbral blade for like 30 hours now jfc I want a new sword

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Harrow posted:

With Gears and Gambits I just used one of Chadley's recommended settings for each battle and it worked out pretty much fine, but I haven't tried any of the hard mode ones

yeah i did auto settings and also lowered difficulty just to knock the four out. at the point in which the game introduces gears and gambits i absolutely could not be hosed to expend any effort on yet another new minigame

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Macaluso posted:

This like extra stuff with the Gi that happens after you're done with the Gi Cave seems like a strange addition? The pacing felt like it stopped dead all of a sudden to go do this and the Zack stuff with Biggs. I don't remember the Gi having much significance in the OG after Cosmo Canyon, was there underlying stuff there I just don't remember? It kind of feels unnecessary

the pacing overall is just super off in the game to me, and i realize that's my fault for doing side stuff but drat. i feel like if you introduce side stuff a large number of gamers are going to do the "clear area, move on" thing and that ends up making the game feel like the plot isn't doing anything, lol. i continually can't remember what my party is even trying to achieve because it's been so long since i did a story mission. the ideal way to play the game is probably story rush and then do all the side stuff post-game but then you might end up sorta gimped. i dunno what the fix is but i hate the pacing overall.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The loving Nibelheim chocobo wrangle is absolutely awful, I could do without this entire mechanic in the third game. Ugh

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

i had been cruising through QB with a "enhance/boost all the things" swarm deck but am giving a midgardsormr+replace/destroy deck a go and goddamn it's fun and stupid

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

There is straight up no way I’m getting A rank on “Two Legs? Nothing’ To It”. This is absolutely hellish. I somehow got 16530 and then every attempt since has gone to absolute poo poo as soon as the easy starting bit is over. This isn’t the only thing that will keep me from platinum but it definitely will keep me from it lol.

E: bitching online works again I just got 18200 after that post lmao. Never doing that again.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 26, 2024

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Shinra Manor is every bit as dogshit as this thread indicated. What is this box throwing garbage? I can’t hit this pipe for anything. Just non stop airballs

This badly needs an accessibility option to bypass (maybe there is one and I just didn’t see it) I can picture a lot of people physically not able to do this with either the touch pad or the joystick. That’s not the case for me I’m just bad but drat.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I’m sure I’ll get through it but I shut it off for the day. There’s just no end to the mini games this game throws at you. At this point I just want it to be done. I’m ready to play something else.