Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I was surprised more people didn't comment on that.

i think it actually distracted me from half of the subsequent spoilers in the trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

If you preorder the twinpack, does integrade unlock now?

yup-- i picked it up the other day to finally play through InterMISSION

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

triple sulk posted:

It's very possible that (making poo poo up here) the game "ends" with Aerith dying or whatever and then there's like a few hours of Zackworld. Technically speaking the progress of the normal FF7 game as we know it will still have stopped there.

can't remember who, but someone earlier in the thread speculated something similar off of the trailer and the scene with aerith/zack

certainly seems possible but i'm not sure i love the idea. "the same thing happens but now you find out there's another dimension for (non-whisper) ghosts" doesn't really feel like solid payoff for "rebirth has a surprising ending that may be controversial" or whatever has been going on with aerith/sephiroth's awareness and the whole zack thing so far through remake

e: ok thinking about it more, something winding up with a second party made up of dead characters would be very fun and would pretty easily lead into another DLC episode before game 3

stuker fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 18, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

yeah i just started up a casual OG playthrough earlier today because i figure what i'll get through will be a nice recap for the "original" first half of rebirth

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Someone made an installer for the Deck which I did for my recent playthrough of A New Threat and it worked flawlessly.
https://github.com/dotaxis/7thDeck

Just on 7th heaven mods, FFNx should be able to display in widescreen and you can rotate the camera in battles with the right stick. One problem is the battle menu is still in the same spot as the original and obscures a lot. The mod to fix that is "Compact Battle UI" and it'll reposition it properly.

thanks for posting this! i was wondering if it would be possible to get mods working on the Deck

one question-- for whatever reason the installer didn't create a steam entry for 7th heaven, but i assume i'll still need need to create one manually if i want to run mods from steamOS. is that the case, or do i only need to run 7th heaven for mod configuration?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

D.Fuzzbot posted:

You have to run 7th Heaven for the mods not just the config. It should have at least added the application that you can add to steam from desktop mode.

gotcha, well-- easy enough solution, thanks again!

agreed with the folks praising the upscale mods, i've been less than impressed with upscaling on other media but PSX-era stuff really seems like a perfect use case for where the tech is at right now

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

just finished intermission were the zack/church and party on the road scenes part of the pre-intergrade game? i don't remember them at all (and they obviously get thrown into the ending sequence of intermission) but i'm seeing some youtubes where they're in line with the normal game's finale

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Spermando posted:

Those were added to Intergrade.

thanks, that makes sense. it also helps explain why people were connecting the shinra TV stuff in the trailer to zack, but i dunno i think sector 7 refugees are gonna wind up at the nearby abandoned church in most timelines

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

JBP posted:

Like I replayed the first one and love a lot of it, but a lot of it is extremely tedious and annoying. It isn't better or amusing if it's just a nod to tedious annoying things from the past. It's just encouraging you to do something else with your time.

It's a short demo. I haven't played the full game so how do I know what to expect when playing it further? Ire is also some pretty flavourful language for people saying it's pointlessly annoying.

it may not be to your taste, but i think a lot of people would be disappointed if little annoying stuff wasn't retained/expanded because they do find it amusing. that's what i think ImpAtom is referencing with the jokes

i dunno why some folks are so worked up at you but i'm pretty sure this is the first time The Vacuum has come up in the 2-3 weeks since the initial demo dropped, so i think it's also a bit of a newer debate than performance/graphics mode

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

JBP posted:

Thinking further on it, it makes me wonder how they're going to handle Aerith (should that happen). Am I going to be doing some weird player involvement button pressing? Will it be sudden and shocking or drawn out and laborious?

I may be misremembering the original, but from memory when you hit that scene you don't have a heap of lead time. The poo poo hits the fan, Cloud goes to the location and Sephiroth has lost it and does the cool fmv. It undermined the cool fmv coming back for me, which was a shame.

"7 seconds before the end"

though i will never stop laughing if they make that sequence a QTE in rebirth

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

oh i would expect the QTE to end the same way regardless, just maybe cloud gets to make an exaggerated stumble along the way

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

stupid countdown, just let me in

e: (opening scene) what exactly did you expect to happen when you blew up the helicopter twice?

stuker fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 29, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

having some trouble grasping how Synergy attacks work. the tutorials say that certain duo attacks build up the relevant meters but i don't see the symbol it's pointing out anywhere

yeah what ImpAtom said-- the manual page is not particularly clear on this but the combat simulator stage does a slightly better job

the other thing i completely misunderstood is that synergy skills and synergy abilities are two different things, and it's only the latter that requires the synergy meter. i think this might have been more obvious in the junon demo (which i skipped)

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

JBP posted:

I got to the dock in the swamp. I looked around the grassy but and there didn't really seem like there was anything to do. I found a locked door and a town with nothing in it. I assume I turn back from the dock and things to do appear?

you might need to run into bill before that will trigger-- i ran into him and he said to go to the dock even though the innkeeper already mentioned it. the dock scene basically tells you to go to the ranch so i guess he needs to tell you about it first

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

I like that even in a video game I have to fight with vacuum cleaner cord length

after playing through that segment i have no clue why some folks got so mad at the vacuum (not saying you are)

that was light for any modern minigame, let alone a final fantasy lmao

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Quinton posted:

I'm trying out the Auto-Cast and Auto-Unique-Ability Materia (available from Chadley after doing various world intel errands) to see if they're useful for reducing the character swapping micro-management a little...

in my limited experience auto-unique works well on tifa, i'd hope it helps automate red xiii's whole thing but haven't really tried it out

had aerith with auto-cast aero for a little while and it sucked/made it tough to use her ATB, but it's working much better on heal so far

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Lakbay posted:

I didn't like Queen's Blood from the tutorial :(

To be fair I don't think I've enjoyed a board/card side game in any video game except Orlog from Assassin's Creed Valhalla

fwiw i also bounced off of it at first, did the tutorial and 1 challenge first time in kalm and was not a fan. second time around was much more fun and, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, your beginner deck is awful so if you get a new card think about moving it in

(ch2 sidequests) i'm not sure if i missed it the first time in kalm or it only shows up once you get open world, but beyond the sidequest you get tied to QB the item shop sells a couple of x5 card sets which is where i got hooked

stuker fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 1, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm a person who was a little mad at it. It was just really slow and clunky. The first one wasn't too bad, but the second time was pretty annoying. If you worked 60 hours a week and sat down for your 1 hour of video game time then half of it gets wasted clunking a vacuum around and limping through fire you'd probably be a little annoyed too. I wouldn't really call it a minigame either, at least those are kind of games in themselves, like them or not. Not sure how bad it's going to be in this one, but Remake was full of those "this is to pad out some time" moments.

don't get me wrong: if you dislike it you dislike it, it is definitely pointless in terms of the larger game and i can appreciate having limited time to game and wanting that to be stuff you enjoy

what seemed so silly to me is that the discussion earlier had me expecting something ridiculous that i'd spend 20-30m retrying. there are 2 sequences where you use it, and you only have to use the extension cord once across both! i'm playing on normal but this doesn't seem like something hard mode would modify. basically i'd be hard pressed to say the vacuum gameplay adds up to 5 minutes, and i was playing it pretty casually

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

oh yeah the limping/crawling was awful and inexcusable

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been playing for half of today and I am still in the grasslands lol

i'd head to the swamp if chadley wasn't so loving stingy with his materia

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Last question, about gear in chapter 1:
Did I miss the sword for purchase there? I didn’t have the gold to buy it. Was I supposed to sell things to purchase it?

if you're talking about the saber, you find it in a chest. if you're talking about something else i missed it too e: i'm an idiot, you do buy it there. don't worry you'll get another opportunity to buy it soon

stuker fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 1, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i sort of wonder if cait sith is going to have a different arc, given that chadley already took the spot of a weird lil shinra guy constantly listening to and tracking you

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

yeah i'm not particularly good at combat, but my one experience with a no-debuff titan tells me you do not need to be worried about that level of difficulty level sync or not. plus you're forced halfway into hard mode w/o items

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like beating the un-debuffed summons is going to be one of those extreme gamer challenges and not comparable with any normal fights.

agreed, and imagine it's also an easier fight endgame which probably works well for folks who want to roll through the main quest and not do world stuff but still get the summons

CapnAndy posted:

I have no loving idea, but it definitely wasn't in Remake or InterMISSION. You need your ATB to, y'know, do things, so if there's something that needs doing right now... spend that poo poo. Especially on abilities or anything that doesn't cost MP. Fights that take less time are fights that take less resources and do less damage that needs to be healed also with resources.

also agree with this take-- unless you're fine with a battle playing out with mostly normal attacks the only reason you should really be letting anyone's ATB hit 2 is because they have a skill that requires it

stuker fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 1, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

the treasure hunts are really nothing special but i love watching the party

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

it's a bit of a mess in UX terms but if you press triangle u can edit your party, and i think it's on that screen where you chose from the party presets

from earlier today, but has anyone beeing running into issues when using L1/R1 to swap between the party presets? they always seem to give me an entirely different set of parties than i have set up in the menu (i.e. i get Cloud/Barret/Tifa which isn't one of my presets), but when i go to the menu everything's configured like i expect and the party changes normally

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

Barret and Tifa make a pretty drat good team

i'm not hating! it just isn't in the rotation right now

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

(ch4 upper junon) lmao that rufus is immediately notified when the party sneaks up but just decides to let it go. if that was in the original i definitely forgot it

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

aw, the mist potion works on your junon division

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Sorry if this has come up before but I can't keep up with this thread right now: I just finished all the chapter 2 side quests before the swamp, but I keep seeing what looks like a streak of life stream going down paths in front of me sometimes. Is that supposed to lead me somewhere or can i do something with it later, or is it just a neat effect for cool world building?

But yeah that Yakuza rear end side quest with Beck slayed, I love this poo poo I spent 9 hours wandering around this zone there's so much poo poo to do on this loving game hell yeah

those things are usually guiding you to a quest destination/new quest

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

limp dick calvin posted:

Yuffie is cool

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

(ch5) the red xiii QB tournament segment

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

stev posted:

Dumb question - do the summons I got for beating the demo, Remake and Integrade appear later on naturally? Or are they exclusive to people with save data?

I don't like using that sort of bonus if it means getting stuff before the game intended. But if I'm never gonna get Leviathan any other way I'll happily use him.

all of the prior game stuff gets thrown in the same bucket as pre-order bonuses, so you can claim them if/when you want but there's no extra story segment

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

What's the exclusive for playing the demo? I didn't play it I just jumped in

a pretty forgettable accessory and some early game consumables

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Rhonne posted:

End of Junon spoiler: There's something really funny about seeing these black robes waiting in line to get on a cruise ship with normal people. How are they getting by security!? How did they pass the background checks?

i believe you actually see security check their details and wave one through lmao

the fact that they all wind up locked in one room before the attack probably confirms it was hojo rather than shinra incompetence, but i loved that moment

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Vitamean posted:

the little fps minigame in costa del sol not letting you invert the camera options is criminal

i just finished this and i am going to be very angry if time materia is for sale at the next shop

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Now that I have complained on the internet, I was able to defeat the interdimensional warlock, although being able to do so still honestly felt pretty random. Still, I at least have Queen's Blood to be the game that at least makes a pretense of being sort of fair, so it's not terrible that Fort Condor is basically an exercise in overcoming the opponent's endless bullshit.

hey now, that's not just any interdimensional warlock

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

bewilderment posted:

Enemies naturally focus whoever you're playing as, and whoever you're playing as builds ATB faster.
Play as someone to build ATB, then when you feel swarmed, immediately switch to someone else to build their gauge instead and then switch again when you feel swarmed.

Since Cloud is almost always in your party, but Barret starts every battle with Overcharge ready, a simple strategy is to start as Cloud with First Strike materia equipped, hit enemies just enough to do a Braver or Triple Slash, then immedately switch to Barret and overcharge to build ATB and then do something else.

Aerith feels like the hardest to build ATB with, I dunno what the secret is there.

hitting her third in the rotation then dropping radiant ward/spamming the non-tempest basic attack usually takes care of ATB for me

e: longer battles also kinda change the approach on some of this-- barret's free overcharge isn't as helpful and in my experience he's also slow to build ATB, so i'll usually go with someone else

stuker fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 3, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i got through it the following try by using reraise (and just healing better in general), but is there a trick to surviving (Junon) the AOE the mindflayer seems to drop at 10-25% health? it feels like i'm missing some trigger/tell

e: holy poo poo this is the first time i noticed the baby chocobo takes a nap with you when you use a cushion. how did the moogles wind up the way they did

stuker fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 5, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Hyper Inferno posted:

I think that's an enrage cast that's designed to wipe you. I ran into that the first time, then redid my party to take advantage of its weaknesses listed in the Assess screen to stagger it way quicker and killed it way before it could cast that.

that makes sense

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

By the way, if you don’t pet the baby Chocobo every time you fix a Chocobo stop, you’re a loving monster

:hai:

e: \/\/\/ yeah i think i went in with a less than ideal synergy mix for the battle (cloud/aerith/barret), the skills are great but your only synergy ability options are with cloud/aerith

stuker fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 5, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

I have to be honest, I was not expecting to decimate Chadley in Queen's Blood.

he's learned it all from you, how could he ever beat the original

Azubah posted:

Magic, you can cycle through the different elements by pressing left and right.

not sure if this was harrow's original question, but anyone know if the basic non-element ninjutsu is considered magic damage as well? i'd assume so but haven't seen anything clarifying one way or another

stuker fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Just got yuffie. Still not sure I can be bothered taking a break to play intermission especially BC I just opened up the crows nest. Is there a good tldr of intermission anywhere?

yuffie goes to midgar a little bit prior to the sector 7 plate drop, meets a "normal" avalanche cell and another ninja from wutai named sonon. they go to shinra tower as the plate drop is being planned to steal the "ultimate materia" only to learn it doesn't exist (fighting scarlet on the way), then a guy from dirge of cerberus (nero) shows up for a really annoying boss fight and kills sonon following it (he's the guy you see in her flashbacks pushing her into an elevator). there's a bit of work establishing the non-shinra factions like remake started and rebirth has continued

i played intermission right before rebirth dropped and had a good time with it, but i would be surprised if you're missing more than yuffie characterization and a few cameos (both of which are good, yuffie is good)

stuker fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 5, 2024