Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Game keeps throwing things at me we are never gonna cross this swamp or whatever the gently caress the next main story objective was when I got it 5 hours ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I imagine it’s based on how much key mashing you did because there’s no way the game is going to be able to judge how musical you are.

I just plonked like 4 keys then quit out and they told me I sucked.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pro tip I just found out about: if you’re skipping cutscenes as you skip your way through the demo section don’t skip the one at the end right after the tedious fire crawling, there’s more to it that wasn’t in the demo and it doesn’t warn you about that or anything. Had to go look it up after the fact!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The card shop owner guy outside kalm kept wrecking me at queens blood until I decided to try making a deck with tons of level 1 cards that could place pawns in front and just rushed all the way to the end and fenced him off so he couldn’t place anything

Eat poo poo card guy

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I beat every opponent in the grasslands except for the card shop guy with the default starter deck

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No, he had the helmet on, so she just assumed it was some random shinra grunt

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok 6 hours in or so and one question. How do I manually upgrade my weapons. It says I have it on manual mode but it's not letting me do anything.

Skeezy posted:

I honestly have no idea. I couldn’t find it myself and just assumed it’s automatic?

I think it’s just really weirdly worded since they call it “auto upgrade” when you don’t actually upgrade poo poo, if you open up the menu to choose the type of upgrades it says it’s to equip the weapon skills you can otherwise assign in the materia menu.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rhonne posted:

Check the picture you were given. The driftwood is basically along the western side of the map starting from where you caught the black chocobo and go north until your bird senses something.

You can do all of the Junon region before even stepping foot in Under Junon proper.

Re: Junon region completion, you absolutely can’t, there’s a bunch of stuff locked behind progressing the main quest path at a certain point.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah they were in FF1, but they were also basically ripped directly from dnd (which took them from lovecraft so it’s ripoffs all the way down)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It looks exactly like you’d expect a jazzed up for HD version of that enemy to look though?

Like what else could they make it look like? It’s ok for a thing to just be a thing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I replayed ff7 last year despite the remake existing so :shrug:

They’re completely different experiences outside of the major story beats, it’s more like choosing between a book and a movie or an overwrought prestige TV adaptation.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Phoenix is really whooping my rear end. even a well-timed Magic Pot's ult after Rebirth Flame didn't do it, because then the entire arena was aflame and everyone took damage that way

Just do all the POI things and beat the weakened version, it’s a total cakewalk of a fight after that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gold Saucer intro is loving incredible

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Frankston posted:

Lol loving hell

You also only need to cast assess once to scan every enemy in the combat even if they’re all new enemies, you can cycle through them on the screen that comes up.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s funny because only the most hosed up freaks are going to smash their heads against the brick wall that is a full powered summon fight and their ‘reward’ is potentially getting the summon earlier but still having to go tick off all the POIs to power it up, whereas someone who just waits and hits all those first gets it at full power immediately with a much easier fight.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I stopped playing queens blood in Junon because half the opponents had stupid OP decks that I couldn’t find a counter for but I kept buying new cards anyway and then the game made me play a couple of games so I built a new deck with my new cards and I’m just crushing people left and right and all I wanna do is get far enough to easily travel back to Junon and ruin those idiots

This is carrying me far more than the main story at this point

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

After you finish the last one there is an optional hard mode to carry on with but lol I’m not touching that

I beat all the main ones in one attempt and that was still enough fort condor for me

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just sit closer to the screen

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Are there any queens blood players in the junon area outside the city? I have been enjoying the far cry stuff but I crave card combat and am thinking about bailing on it to advance the story (find more queens blood opponents)

Yeah but not until you progress the story a little

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you’ve got the kind of map icon tallying brokebrains that I do, be aware that you can’t finish all the protorelics in Corel until after you’ve progressed the story through the next couple of areas so it’ll constantly have the little x/4 notification taunting you every time you look at the world map but no icons to go wrap them up.

It does signpost this in a way so it shouldn’t be a surprise but it’s kind of weird since you could fully clear all the other zones before leaving.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Graphics mode runs absolutely fine

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m finding Gongaga kind of a chore to navigate and it’s sapping my will to marathon it, think it’s gonna be an hour or two a couple of nights a week game now at least until I get out of the jungle.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Also, what is Cloud supposed to do about aerial enemies?

Dodge and then start hitting square and your sword will start firing off blasts of energy because ???

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

There feels like a certain category of small monsters where their health is honestly a little undertuned and they just explode instantly in like one triple slash. I don't really see what the point is of peppering them in in dungeons, they're barely even speedbumps

Those encounters make me wish the game was more seamless in the transition between combat and running around.

It’s pretty seamless already, but it could be more seamless. Just bump that slider one more notch over into the ARPG end of the scale.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Man chocobo gliding sucks rear end really not a fan

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t know if I just haven’t noticed it before but Yuffie will not stop singing while I’m riding around Cosmo Canyon

I’m on a chocobo
You’re on a chocobo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JBP posted:

Glide de Chocobo is steaming dogshit. First time I've done a minigame and said gently caress this. Why can't I look with the look stick? No invert to fly? Boring flight speed and no feedback on if the swoop will work. It's just horrible.

Yeah I’m in this boat too. It sucks bad.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I completely cleared everything through to the end of Corel and most of Gongaga but navigating the following areas sucks so bad I’m just gonna mainline the story.

The maps suck and using them to find your way to anything around the outskirts is just not worth it. I’ll wrap the story up then maybe follow some videos to find my way to the last few things I need in each zone.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The deck I used to beat level 5 opponents in the same town I got the cards for it is still absolutely crushing every opponent and I’m one rank away from the finale of the quest chain.

The numbers are pretty meaningless.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s really weird how you can skip some dialogue but all skipping does is make the subtitles go away and the voice and animation just keeps going til the end of the line anyway.

Other lines in the same scene even will skip as expected, but some just don’t.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I actually really like this because I have a bad habit of button mashing past dialogue and the game seems to have a set of dialogue that it will play out regardless if it's meaningful character stuff

I skip once I’ve read the subtitle and none of the stuff I’ve skipped through has seemed anymore meaningful than anything else in the game, which is why it seems so arbitrary. Almost like a bug more than anything else :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was gonna rush the story today but I got sidetracked with queens blood again and then I just decided to do area cleanup anyway, so now I’m all done aside from the final map.

I did lose half an hour of progress to a soft lock though, I finished a quest battle and was apparently too close to my chocobo because I hopped on it and the game just sat there with only the pause button working instead of playing the cutscene for that quest’s completion. Had to quit out of the game and reload then do it all again :negative:

Oxxidation posted:

finished the queen's blood sidequest. i expected the final match to be a horror based on what i read here but i cleared it in three tries without even changing my deck

it helped that my deck was empowerment-based, so the emerald witch's gimmick slotted into it perfectly. i just had to take the middle like usual, lay down the witch to sabotage the enervation squares, and get dio/ifrit/choco-mog on the board. won by 15 points

I ended up building a deck that smushed my rush for the other side of the board cards with a bunch of cards that powered up based on enfeebled cards in the field, including the gi natak card from the Costa del Sol card puzzles game. Re-rolled my starting hand until I had the right 3 cards for the back line and then just played my usual game, squeezed out a win after a couple of attempts by just pushing forward as hard as possible then dropping gi on the middle of my back line card to add the total power to the top and bottom rows.

It was way, way tougher than every other match in the game that I won with the deck I built entirely with cards from Corel and earlier.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How do I traverse Cosmo Canyon? I did the gliding minigame and quest but cannot get my chocobo to glide at the ramps

Run off the end and make sure you keep R2 held down

You can’t run off the roped off ramps from the minigame, only the ones in the world with the yellow highlight thing on the end.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I also went in thinking “ok just kill it and you get the thing” and it wasn’t until I did the assess that it even crossed my mind they literally meant to have me equip steal and steal it

Nothing else in the game works like that so :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I beat the final protorelic section and I’ve ticked off all the icons everywhere so now the only thing left to do because I’m not a masochist who’s gonna put themselves through the brutal VR challenge bullshit or hard mode is win the chocobo thing and complete the game.

That final protorelic sequence doesnt gently caress around, although I was level 50 going in against a recommended level of 65 so that’s probably mostly on me. Gilgamesh was a fun fight though!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

gently caress fishing there’s never been a good fishing minigame in any game ever, fishing absolutely loving sucks

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Did you play the first one? They aren’t remakes in the usual sense.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

TeaJay posted:

FF7 is probably one of my all-time favourites, that's why I'm incredibly wary of any changes.

FF7 still exists they didn’t take it out back and shoot it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The final step for the final quest can gently caress off forever, what a terrible minigame this is holy poo poo I hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Turn up the centre channel on your soundbar/surround setup and if you’re not using either of those things then I guess you’re SOL.