Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I imagine if you grew up or have lived in the Northeast for a while you'd be very familiar with the small cluster of states in that area but live anywhere else in the US and it's one blob so yeah Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, NH, ? they're muddled together and could vie for least famous.

I didn't include New England then saw that post above so yeah, that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

North Carolina has UNC, Duke and NC State plus the tech hubs surrounding them.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Look, I love New Mexico. It’s our neighbor state, it’s full of beautiful scenery and nice people, and I have family in Española, but what I never understood was its claim to fame of “we put green chili in and on everything!” and “we’re known as a chili state!”

Yeah? So? Arizona puts red and green chili in and on everything, too. We just don’t make a big deal or cultural identity surrounding it. We even got Blake’s Lotaburger, a New Mexico chain with the specialty green chili burger that Is nothing new here lol. Even Whataburger beat them to the punch with a green chili burger years before (at least before Lotaburger showed up here).

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 12, 2024

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

Buddy, if people can name at least one city in that state then it’s definitely not the most forgotten

i forgot seattle was in washington -_-;

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Look, I love New Mexico. It’s our neighbor state, it’s full of beautiful scenery and nice people, and I have family in Española, but what I never understood was its claim to fame of “we put green chili in and on everything!” and “we’re known as a chili state!”

New Mexico is known around the world but mainly for alien conspiracy stuff

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Oooh, interesting. I always thought of New Hampshire as kind of the deep south of New England, honestly. Maine meanwhile I think of it as split between "North Massachusetts" in its bottom half, and then the top half as "Here be monsters."

Come to New England - our states are small, but the hang ups we have about one another are big.

It used to be rt 201 was the dividing line for northern mass but the disease keeps creeping farther and farther north, it's disgusting

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Masshole Effect

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Roswell, atom bomb, Pueblo buildings, Native American stuff and turquoise jewlrey. Plus now they got breaking bad too

New Mexico known for a lot more stuff than a state with its population size should have. Just being chili peppers the state would make more sense for a state its size tbh

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Yeah? So? Arizona puts red and green chili in and on everything, too. We just don’t make a big deal or cultural identity surrounding it. We even got Blake’s Lotaburger, a New Mexico chain with the specialty green chili burger that Is nothing new here lol. Even Whataburger beat them to the punch with a green chili burger years before (at least before Lotaburger showed up here).

When I lived in NM we'd get burgers at Sonic and as per state law, would put on our own green chilies.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Green chili, or as they say in Iowa, ouchie pickle

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Earwicker posted:

NASCAR

also lots of beaches

also bbq, kind of

Was kinda familiar with beaches and BBQ, but genuinely didn't know about NASCAR - I always thought that was a Florida thing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Roswell, atom bomb, Pueblo buildings, Native American stuff and turquoise jewlrey. Plus now they got breaking bad too

New Mexico known for a lot more stuff than a state with its population size should have. Just being chili peppers the state would make more sense for a state its size tbh

also georgia o'keeffe

santa fe in particular seems pretty famous for a town of its size. like before i went there i assumed it was an actual city on the level of albquerque but its a very small place

roswell wants very badly to be a tourist attraction but it is desolate and weird

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
So are we going to put this to a vote or something

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

credburn posted:

It’s America so we have to do it through the electoral college

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i have infiltrated all of your secretaries of state anyway dont bother

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

credburn posted:

What do you think this is? America? No we're not voting.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

honestly voting is for idiots

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Its the least populous state and isn't really known for anything aside from "Cowboys" which it competes with like 9 other states for. So yeah I agree

More like whyoming

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

they need a band to really put them on the map. Green mild chili peppers

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What do you think this is? America? No we're not voting.

If we really want to be accurate about it, we'll put it up for a vote, but almost no one loudly expressing all these opinions will actually show up. And so three cranky old retirees will vote in whatever the most horrifying option is. THAT'S the American way! :patriot:

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Milo and POTUS posted:

More like whyoming
To get more republican senators (literally the reason that it was admitted in 1890. the population was only 55,500). they held both seats in wyoming for 26 years.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Places like Wyoming are internationally known from cowboy movies and things like that.

You guys really don't know what resonates outside of the US huh?

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Places like Wyoming are internationally known from cowboy movies and things like that.

No, not at all. People were saying kentucky because it sucks, but kentucky bourbon is very popular around the world, everyone knows the kentucky derby, kfc, etc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Why would you think that we would?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Non americans are going to have the least knowledge of states that aren't mentioned in American movies, tv, sports and to a lesser extent, politics. I think Iowa and New Hampshire having highly covered primaries disqualify them, they're on the Australian news.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

idk i thought they filmed all the good ones in spain

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

who the gently caress is watching cowboy movies anymore anyway

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Vermont has one (1) single Target store, if that matters. I assume that's the fewest among the states, though I can see Alaska having just like 1 or even 0.

And it's like a half-sized Target attached to a dying mall.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Vermont has one (1) single Target store, if that matters. I assume that's the fewest among the states, though I can see Alaska having just like 1 or even 0.

No Target sounds like a drat nightmare.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maine just got its first CostCo. It's a big deal in the area lol.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

redshirt posted:

Maine just got its first CostCo. It's a big deal in the area lol.

place must be fckin packed

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I feel like Americans itt are way overestimating Idaho. Internationals don't know the potato thing and at best are going to blankly confuse it with Iowa/Indiana.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

is anybody in here actually giving idaho credit for anything

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Vermont has about as many people as the city of Boston. Not the Boston metro area, mind you, but the city proper. It's a wonder that there's anything there.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I feel like Americans itt are way overestimating Idaho. Internationals don't know the potato thing and at best are going to blankly confuse it with Iowa/Indiana.

An international would still recognise it over one of the lesser known new england states.

There's even a famous movie called My Own Private Idaho that did pretty well internationally in the 90s.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If it's mentioned by name in The Simpsons it's disqualified

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Worf posted:

is anybody in here actually giving idaho credit for anything

Potatoes.

Fun potato fact: Idaho had a bad drought a few years back and had to buy potatoes from Maine

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Maine potatoes are better anyways.

Something Maine is famous for: Bob Marley, world record holding comedian, also Italian sandwiches and dagwoods

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i am only aware of the existence of maine due to stephen king's writing becoming lazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The only thing I know about Missouri is that Kansas City is there rather than in Kansas.