Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Let's go ahead and play an iconic!

Name: Imrijka
Class: Inquisitor
Race: Half Orc
Deity: Desna

There's injustice afoot, and Imrijka is going to root it out!

Also, I think it plays relatively nice with the Azata power set.

Edit: updated to Desna

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cythereal posted:

Just for the record, I have no idea what 'an iconic' is, so if you're referencing a book character or something I'm not getting it.

It's just the person they use as the picture for the class in Pathfinder art. She's probably got a backstory written in novels, but I just think she looks neat.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cythereal posted:

Just me, but I think that looks like garbage and 'we want a Warhammer Fantasy witch hunter but don't want Games Workshop to sue us.'

I mean, yeah? If you're gonna have a fantasy kitchen sink like Pathfinder, you're probably going to borrow a lot of the silverware from other games.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The auto-buff mod is such a QoL improvement that it makes me mad it's not core to the game.

Gun Jam posted:

Speaking as a 3.5 fellow, but not PF 1e one - how much of these 20+ classes serve a purpose, how much are bloat?
(looking at 3.5 "...but from east asia!" fellas...)

"What even is Bloat" is such a difficult question to answer for a crunchy, kitchen sink game, honestly.

Like, is there a unique class fantasy for Inquisitor or Cavalier that can't be supported by a rogue/paladin build or a fighter/ranger? No, not really. But they have unique mechanics that the other classes don't have, so it's more about working backwards to get the mechanical gameplay you want with the tools presented.

But at the end of the day, full casters are perfectly fine with minimal tweaking, so... I don't know where I was going with this.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

achtungnight posted:

Change all my votes to LPer’s choice. I want to see this game played to completion and enjoyed more than I want a specific class etc combo. Again, good luck to the LPer.

On the other hand, there's nothing more essential to the game experience than getting option paralysis in character creation! :v:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Man, a lot of build up for such a short game.

Anyway, thanks for the LP!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

SettingSun posted:

The key bit for me about recruiting Wenduag here is that she is wholly unrepentant. She's reveling in what she's done. She needs some regret somewhere for a good character to latch onto. In any other game she'd be dead right here and forgotten as a starter villain.

Why would she be repentant? She's right! Doing the demon cannibal murder orgy made her stronger in a super hostile environment where all signs point to the tribes barely skating along. If anything, she's being benevolent to share the path to strength with potential rivals. If they can't hack it, well, she gave them the shot.

But, of course, a good person looks at the above and thinks "Yeah... That's not gonna fly."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, I took a pretty quick look at her stats in Core and thought, "Oh, that's... not gonna happen, is it?"

As for characterization, she's a fun scenery chewing ham and has a bit of nuance that shows through your encounters with her. Her VA is clearly having a grand time, too.

In general, I don't mind "must lose" boss encounters, especially if they are someone you later beat to illustrate progress. She outclasses you so hard in this encounter that it's usually not a very long fight either.

I do dislike the "Enough!" and cutscene loss, though.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

ChaosStar0 posted:

So, bit of funny that happened on my latest end of Prologue fight. I had characters in Melee with Minagho, so she ended up First Turn casting Fireball into Melee and killing most of her own side. Cutscene ensued right after.

DemonicTactics.txt

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think some casting classes stack with her Lilitu powers, so she is not nearly that powerful, she is only a bit stronger than a normal Lilitu.

Which to be fair is still very powerful as Lilitu’s are one of the strongest demons. With only 4 normal Demons being superior to them.

It gives her a lot of defense to chew through than a pure caster, but not a lot more offense.

Still more than enough to Chaos Dunk us into Chapter One, though.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Black Robe posted:

okay but it is an absolute crime that we cannot recruit the vampire priest of the party god to join the group

In his defense, he's in his temple, serving his community. Adventuring priests are the weirdos who don't actually do anything religious but get ever greater power because gods know it's a great branding deal to be associated with big time heroes.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Fat Samurai posted:

"I am shocked, shocked to find that gambling looting is going on in here."

Yeah, only chosen ones can loot! Do you have the light of the angels radiating from you? No? Well, you're lucky my buddy here vouches for you because otherwise you're just another random encounter.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Kanthulhu posted:

The first Desnan youth was hiding in the Desna Temple, close by Ramien, the main Desna guy?

That's a terrible hiding spot.

But that's the genius of it! Who would look there???

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

M.c.P posted:

Well, Yua, clearly.

Beginner's luck.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Daeran is honestly one of the best companions. He's interesting enough to be worth talking to, his questlines is one of the best companion quests, and he's mechanically strong enough that you never regret dragging him along for RP, but he doesn't overshadow other options.

Nenio has the world shaking power of a single classed wizard, and while I'm not in love with her bit, she has her moments. Her quest though... Well, if you use a guide it's not the worst, I guess, but man is it dull until the end.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

SettingSun posted:

Camellia is very well created. She is tailor made to be repugnant and hateable and is a constant source of all sorts of discussion. To me that makes her great.

I still think Owlcat was wrong to give into the fan complaints that she was too much of a twist. Her character is much more interesting when she's actually good at hiding.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

steinrokkan posted:

Isn't that the crusade.txt

Well, yeah, if she just really, REALLY got off on killing the people/animals/plants/constructs/undead/outsiders/elementals and everything else that got in our way, she would, at worst, be an unsavory addition to the party. But, well, that's not enough for her, and she has extracurriculars that most reasonable people can't abide.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Vargatron posted:

All they needed to have was that Undetectable Alignment necklace and that would have told you all you needed to know. All the other stuff they rewrote seemed superfluous. That's the thing about evil right? It hides itself well.

Characters having non-functional items they refuse to remove goes all the way back to Baldur's Gate, at least! It's not exactly like it's unheard of!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, he would definitely be unpleasant IRL, but he honestly does have a wicked sense of humor that I found entertaining. Being a gadfly relative of the crusading Queen is interesting enough, but the game isn't too precious with him and lets both NPCs and PCs get things over on him. Also, he is a surprisingly good sport about being on the butt end of a joke, too, so his selfish streak entire personality is balanced by enough self awareness that he doesn't vanish into his own rear end.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

achtungnight posted:

Ember’s nihilism is the only thing I don’t like about her.

Honestly, I think her "No one is going to save us, so time to roll up our sleeves and do it ourselves" attitude is an interesting twist on her otherwise waif-ish goody two shoes nature.

She's also got a pretty accurate view of D&D deities being perfectly happy to let mortals do the work with a bit of cheerleading from the sidelines.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I liked it!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, it's just consumables. I think crafting weapons would even out the weapon drought in the mid game, though, since you have no idea where to go to get the good stuff you need for each character's builds. I get wanting everything to be a flavorful snowflake with backstory and bespoke mechanics, but at the end of the day, you need enough pluses to stay on the AC treadmill (outside of story difficulty, anyway).

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, the buff manager mod is so essential at even medium levels of difficulty that it's crazy they don't have either in the base game.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The cooking is mostly a painless "tick box for buff", but the other consumables have a crapshoot for what you could make at any given time. On one hand, it's interesting to look at a pile of random junk and see what you can make out of it. On the other hand, if I specifically want a scroll of haste before a big fight, being able to make 14 other, useless scrolls is not helpful!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I really liked the Trickster option there, as the demonic cultists have been shown to be pretty dim, at best. I doubt you really needed much supernatural juice to pull it off, honestly. The main questline has some genuine gags that caught me off guard as rabidly funny, the only significant miss for me was the Fool King, who honestly seemed like the exact sort of inflated ego who you should set up for a fall. But there is something quite satisfying about turning the crusade into a giant pub-crawl right up to the gates of the Abyss.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Aww Staunton. The fact that he has been atoning for 70 years also makes his situation pretty clear.

Yeah, Staunton (in the video game) had a pretty rough lot. Just because a few people came in at the end and were decent to him doesn't make up for the (human) lifetime of spite and cruelty he's been dealt.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Lord Koth posted:

This isn't remotely Staunton's actual problem.

I mean, being treated like poo poo for a very long time with no light at the end of the tunnel for regaining respect from the rank and file? He's got a comic shop of issues, to be sure, but it's like Cirno said. The reason demons get so many converts is that the crusade is more than happy to push people out of they fall short of the bar.

And, well, if you're out, might as well go with someone who will at least pretend to like you.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Lord Koth posted:

The problem with this analysis is that you're taking his word for it that no one in those 70 years has ever accepted him (and it's still a lie). Sure it's possible, and certainly the majority would have despised him, but there are almost always going to be exceptions - hell, there've been like 10 in the last few days/weeks, and while it's never truly touched upon there's definitely the implication that he's been working with Irabeth longer than just the current invasion (so no "it's just the current circumstances" excuse).

It's still a lie because even if literally every single crusader in those 70 years had scorned him, he still had a supporter always with him - Joran.

I don't really think we have much reason to believe that he's wrong that 99% of the Crusade treats him like poo poo, and the leadership lets it happen. Maybe Irabeth is nice to him but is she throwing people in the stocks for harassing him? Is she even kicking up a fuss about it?

No, because it's just how things are.

So while his problem broadly is that he won't forgive himself, it is specifically more: "He wants a glorious redemption where he fixes everything, and everyone (including himself) likes him again. And, unfortunately for both him and us, he's an NPC, not a PC, so he's just stuck on guard duty."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cythereal posted:

Yua's human form can, for example, be turned off by dispel magic if she fails the check, forcing her back into fox form. Nenio is currently immune to that.

That is very amusing, especially in light of the reason she can't shape shift (which we will find out later, of course.)

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Torrannor posted:

Again, what made Aeon work for me was that it wasn't my first playthrough. And it is a path that the devs really put a lot of effort into, and it shows. So yeah, your morals are clearly inhuman, but it just works. There's this great moment when you get the ability to see who's a lawbreaker, and then you go out into the town, and it's just a reaction of "holy poo poo!" once the reality of your situation sets in.

Honestly, this is more than enough to convince me to try a playthrough. Probably take a page out of Cyth's book and do it on story, though. I really like the game, but tryharding this game once is more than enough for me.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

idonotlikepeas posted:

It always seems better when these choices involve something you actually want to keep rather than something you might hang onto just to be a dick.

Yeah. Returning it is a nice gesture, but you're the vanguard of the crusade and this is a very powerful item. Even lawful good characters can easily justify it as you being the one to have salvaged it and restored it to full function.

Admittedly, she is a very good sport about it if you decide to keep it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The crusade mode is fun the first bit of the game where you have to actually build the army, but once you get a good doom stack, it's all over.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gun Jam posted:

Will we learn that it's a brave facade he's putting up or something, or he's that out of touch?

He's gonna try his best to make the crusade life as interesting as possible to himself, personally. This occasionally will align with our interests.

Occasionally.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, her VA is just so earnest that you really believe she doesn't mean anything negative to you when she says you're not important enough to remember. The only reason she even remembers her own name is just because books need authors for proper citation, after all.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gun Jam posted:

Don't think this line fits Nenio (admittedly, I dislike this quote placement as the spartan into - it may factor into that).

It's just a linear fighter/quadratic wizard joke.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gun Jam posted:

Isn't the answer to "how chivalric romance tend to go" is "badly"?
(I admit I have only cursory knowledge of the genre)

Well, everyone dies in the long run, I guess? She even has a bitter betrayal that (can) poison you against each other built into the romance, so you can go full melodrama if that's your thing.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

achtungnight posted:

As an Aeon, you can undo the youth potions Galfrey has consumed with a special ability. If you want to be a jerk.

See, like that's just a dick move. I doubt you're running around disenchanting all your magic items because "Steel shouldn't be that sharp or on fire."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Vargatron posted:

I think Iomedae's character design just owns and the short haircut works so good.

The practical cut of a goddess who doesn't need anyone's approval.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

It's probably a shorter list of people who don't think they're the main character. Ember, Woljiff... maybe Sosiel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The only reason Hulrun is even able to be killed by your party of misfits is that he's been doing his best Doomslayer impression since things went to hell. When he says he's "standing guard," that's his face saving way of taking a rest after he got massively level drained. He's probably responsible for more killed demons than anyone else in the city, possibly including the PC.

He's also a paranoid, judgemental rear end in a top hat who will execute "traitor" Desna clerics for the crime of being pretty suspicious, but the Crusade is a land of contrasts.

rastilin posted:

I've also been trying the new run with difficulty set to "Core".. and some of the encounters are absolutely brutal. There's a 9HD demon that shows up in the market completely out of the blue, it's got massive damage resistance, 3 attacks a round and casts mirror image several times to nullify 5 hits each time. He wiped my party by himself. Then there's those 3 HD demons that cast stinking cloud over the entire party that cripples everyone who doesn't make a save for to 1d4+1 turns and practically everything has 3 attacks or DR or both.

Do you have a moment for me tell you about our Lord and Savior, Selective Spell Grease...