Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Every receiver at the end of their contract should do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

absolutely incredible

kidcoelacanth posted:

cool with this but tampa has to go hard on the secondary now in FA and the draft

they've been very good at finding solid secondary players in the draft but this does feel like gambling that we can do it consistently

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Except for the guy who used to post here Chiche. Im sad we lost him to the blue cult but hes still in my heart

Have the cap rules changed at all since the ray rice article I wonder. Hardly seems fair to punish a team for releasing a lovely criminal but I guess there’s another side to that argument too

Chiche became a cop? drat that's genuinely disappointing

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

lol what

OL is bottom 5, pass catcher corp is bottom 5, RB platoon is maybe mid.

That’s including the Ridley signing.

Titans need a lot more help on offense to support Billy Jeans.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I think their approach is the correct one and agree that the Titans are at least trying. I just think the actual status of their offense is closer to “hanging him out to dry” than to “tilting the scale for him”.

I acknowledge that “bottom 5 pass catchers” was too harsh. I don’t think it’s particularly strong though.
  • Hopkins is going to be 32. His game was never about speed but he’s dropping off. 2023 was his first (almost) full season since 2020.
  • Burks needs a massive improvement.
  • Ridley will be 29 for most of the season and he had a solid 60 ypg in 2023 (~31st among qualifying receivers). Even so, he had some bad performances last year with boneheaded mistakes. Now if we are thinking glass half full, then maybe those easy to fix issues do in fact get fixed.
  • Chigoziem at TE is meh.

If Titans go OL with their top two picks, and both of those picks are immediately decent starters, and if Hops puts out a healthy despite-age season, then yeah I agree that could be solid enough to figure out what Levis is.

It needs to be repeated, the Titans got the best o-line coach in football this offseason. Whatever you think of their o-line talent is irrelevant. They will be, at worst, a solidly mediocre unit next year. That's how good callahan is.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

if those peacock numbers are real the other streaming services are gonna also push harder for more games

wandler20 posted:

Yep, I get pissed every time Netflix announces a hike but never really do anything about it.

ive had netflix since 2006 or so and including while i was stationed in Europe i kept it going but the back to back to back price hikes finally got me to cancel. now it gets the same treatment as the rest, ill sub when there's a few shows i want to watch and then cancel again after 1-2 months

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

giants appearing on that list at all is eyebrow raising since they have neither depth nor many stars. that roster has absolutely brutal holes on it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Dexo posted:

They are in the league, just not on the Giants lol.

lmao what an indictment on that FO

they're trying to lock up the only pieces of the company that make sense for the streaming era. still think they're gonna sell ESPN but we'll see

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Nervous posted:

Look, when you have the chance to get your QB for dollars on the dime, you have to take it.

dollars on the dimes

the perfect description of Danny Dimes situation

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Yes, that was establish Reagan policy it's not even conspiracy. The lab made thing has to be nipped in the bud with the current climate.

the lab made thing is extra weird bc if you believed this absurd lie it means Reagan made a virus to kill gays and you'd think the Chuds would support a lab made virus that attacks the LGBTQ community. I mean i don't pay much attention to their recent rhetoric but its all been pretty classic fash stuff at this point and boy do they love vilifying and otherizing the gays.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I don't see much of a difference between creating AIDS to kill gay people and knowing AIDS existed and was killing millions of gay people and refusing to acknowledge that it exists or do anything to try to stop it for like a decade.

Mostly just which circle of hell those involved belong in and also the first one would imply any amount of competent villainy which isn't really america's thing. Our villainy is exceptionally petty and lazy, the only villainy we're competent at is assassinating domestic black leaders who have community backing.

regardless, yea send the lot of them involved straight to hell please.

all of this is getting me more excited to watch aaron rodgers get broken again this year

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I dont actually think Billy B ever coaches again. He's 72, a noted rear end in a top hat and control freak, and it's extremely difficult to justify hiring a guy who is absolutely losing his edge to age as your HC knowing that he's also going to get into power struggles with dudes already in the building.

jerry is the only one who might be dumb enough to try that out

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

The second biggest problem with tepper is that he was incredibly successful in an industry that does not translate to anything else.

The biggest problem is that neither he nor any of the people that work in finance realize this.

this is literally every successful rich person i've met. they genuinely believe not only that the lessons they learned in their one successful endeavor translates perfectly everywhere but that their prior success is 100% due to their decisions, no decision was bad or unnecessary and no luck was involved, just absolutely perfect mastery of their area. its patently insane and these people run everything

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

fsif posted:

I agree but I think Kraft is upset about how siding with Belichick hurt his personal relationship with Brady.

and perhaps most importantly made him look like an idiot when brady went out and immediately won a superbowl for my historically awful franchise

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Freaquency posted:

I’m reading a book about Jack Welch right now and get a good laugh every time they mention one of his underlings going off to some other company and cratering it within a couple years

Just absolute idiots with a hammer and a world full of nails

Oh man, Welch spawned so many evil rear end management policies. He's the one who came up with that bullshit where you should always be pitting people against each other and then cutting the lowest performers every year.

BlindSite posted:

I mentioned this previously but is a coach in his 70s really going to be apart of your long term plans? Like 5 years?

Because probably not, which means you need a succession plan.

Billy has shown time and time again he's married to the guys he trusts, and also shown non of those guys go on to be successful head coaches.

So unless you've got a win now roster, with plans to overhaul the entire org in 2 to 3 years, its a tough sell.

Dude could still be a banger coach but the long term upside just isn't there.

Oh that's another fun issue, Billy B only trusts his guys but now a lot of them are on Mayo's staff. Genuinely how many people does Billy even have that aren't HCs, retired, or already staffed that he could pull from for a potential staff?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Forrest on Fire posted:

They aren't handling play calling they're handling one small job. Most failed head/coordinating coaching hires are because someone is really good at a smaller role and promoted out of their depth. Trestman is probably handling behind the scenes stuff without any requirement to be In Charge. Roman is a solid to good running game coordinator as well which meshes with Jim Harbaugh.

Just gonna say Roman is maybe one of the best run game coordinators in the league, dude's wildly creative on that front.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Docjowles posted:

These are all fair points about how Harbs runs things. I still think we will see Roman’s fingerprints all over the offense. They’ve worked together off and on for like 15 years, Harbaugh obviously respects and trusts him. They aren’t philosophical opposites, these guys both want to establish the hell out of it.

yea absolutely, but Harbs will go out and steal good passing concepts unlike Roman. That's where he really elevates what Roman will do solo

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Fair now I look at it.

yea cap issues aren't just over, they're about to have an absurd amount of cap space next year assuming they release Bosa after this year. it's as close to a blank slate with a franchise QB as you can get

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Kalli posted:

I get why the Broncos are doing this. Zach Wilson is one of the worst quarterbacks of all time to ever start as many games as he's had, however he did have the tools to get drafted in the first, and if there's even a 1% chance of this being the Jets loving him up and him being fixable, the Broncos are in a position to try him out.

Like almost guaranteed to not go anywhere, but the Broncos have no resources, no cap space, next to no talent. Zach won't hold back anything, they can see what they can get out of him in training camp, and if he's still a zero? Flush him, if he shows a flash of anything, like what, are you worried about losing valuable Stidham snaps if he plays?

yea, the broncos are almost certainly gonna have to run a series of nobodies at QB this year, maybe they get Bo Nix in the 2nd round or something to add to the mix, but it's gonna be rough. after this year though they're finally out of the dog house so ideally they throw some guys around and see what sticks.

poo poo if they want another big arm dude with no brains they can go for Spencer Rattler in the 3rd or 4th

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Outside the top 4 QBs the Broncos could try to get:

Penix (not a terrible fit)
Bo Nix (similarly not awful)

Spencer Rattler (a deeply confusing player who loves throwing needless picks)
Michael Pratt (could be interesting, former Tulane guy)

Joe Milton (dude's maxxed out arm strength and has the lowest possible game awareness, all arm no brain)

I don't hate Penix, Nix, or Pratt for them. I feel like Peyton could especially do good things with Penix

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

lmao, incredible. i mean this is the guy who coerced his poor wife into doing a book tour about how to build a strong marriage in spite of his sex addiction

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

goddamn i already loved CJ, that clip roasting him about the NFC East is amazing. welp guess Texans are my bandwagon team for the foreseeable future. Give me a Burrow/CJ AFC Title game please

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

If they think Penix is that good and he doesn’t need as much time on the bench to cook as Love had then why bother signing Kirk to a $100M contract? They could’ve easily grabbed Brisset for 1yr, started Penix halfway through and spent the rest of that $100M on making Penix’s life as easy as humanly possible

The issue will always come down to opportunity cost. There’s nothing wrong with drafting a QB of the future while having a QB of the present on the roster but there is an opportunity cost to doing that. You are dedicating resources to a years long risky redundancy plan rather than to anything else. The Falcons started at 0 QBs worth starting this offseason, now they’ve wrapped up an enormous amount of resources in having 2 dudes who could both easily start next year. If they had traded down and then grabbed a QB with a later 1st it would’ve been crazy but made more sense bc the opportunity cost wouldn’t be as severe but a top 8 pick a loaded draft is a hefty price to pay for a long term gamble. It’s also not just the $100M contract and top 8 pick they’re balancing here it’s also the inevtiable picks they’re going to lose for tampering in order to sign Kirk. There’s a tremendous amount they’ve poured into a redundant solutions at QB rather than into any other area on the roster.

To me it reeks of bad process, they didn’t know they’d be as in love with Penix as they became either bc they did a terrible job of scouting him during the season (their loving job) or even worse got completely enamored with him in person after already coming to a conclusion earlier in the offseason that they didnt plan to draft him. Alternatively they signed Kirk thinking they’d get 2-3 years out of him and then came to realize his medicals were a lot worse than anticipated bc once again they did a bad job at their jobs before signing him.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

kiimo posted:

Imagine making millions in the NFL and then going to prison for nonsense

Breeland faces felony drug charges and charges of assaulting a government official, resisting an officer, and injury to personal property.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...406d73fe8&ei=10

addiction, brain injuries, and being famous basically your whole life is quite the potent cocktail for being an idiot

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

I was looking at the cap space situation today. The Bucs have the least available at under $400k so they basically have to get a deal done with Winfield and/or Wirfs to get some cap relief to sign rookies.

The Patriots still have over $50m in cap space and the Commanders are at $43m. Looks like several teams will have to create some cap space to get rookies signed.

The Saints are currently $73m over the cap for next year. Browns second at $31m over. 49ers are the only other team over coming in at $24m over.

Looking further ahead to 2026, the Browns only have $4m in cap space, the next closest team is at $52m in cap space. That Watson contract is brutal.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

how in the world are the giants right up against the cap with that dogshit roster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Turns out Daniel Jones cap number this year is nearly FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS!

Kalli posted:

almost $50m in cap space devoted to Daniel Jones and absolutely 0 desire to negotiate that into future years for obvious reasons.

They'll clear up like $14m more if Darren Waller retires though.

The Danny Dimes contract is such an unnecessary albatross that ownership hung on the team. So stupid.