Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

well why not posted:

the idea that the cast did not do their due diligence about this not being MCU is a joke. it’s ridiculous to think that someone in the movies is less au fait than the children who watch these things

by posting in this thread, you care more about these films than the actors that are part of the films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's no guarantees, yeah, but not caring about the movie/treating it as a product makes it near-certain it's going to fail.

The idea that someone could get a script with a "fun character and solid story" that they absolutely didn't give a poo poo about and make a good movie out of it...well that doesn't pass the smell test, to me personally. The "One for the Studio, One for Myself" movies are a great study on this.

But then you get someone like The Rock at Max Carelevels doing his best to push a movie that is, dedpite all his apparent efforts, a giant turd.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Grendels Dad posted:

But then you get someone like The Rock at Max Carelevels doing his best to push a movie that is, dedpite all his apparent efforts, a giant turd.

The issue here is, again, the actual people who made the movie did not care. It's a Rock Vehicle. The Rock may care about it, but it was created as A Product for People Who Wanted To See The Rock. Unless you think somebody really put their heart and soul into Tooth Fairy or w/e.

I would also argue that The Rock does not care about the movie either. He cares about The Rock's Success. He pushes his tequila with the exact same intensity.

Edit: on some level everybody understands this. If you have to go to the doctor, you want to go to the one who actually got into it to help people, not the one who is doing it for money.

Everyone is wondering why a lot of modern movies and AAA games suck and the reason is fairly easy: it used to be that the model for this stuff was that studios existed to give money to people who were passionate about something that the studio felt was economically viable. Now the studios are dictating what gets made and how. That's a recipe for terrible art.

The new Blade is a great example. The studio commissioned a script for Blade, a character whose IP they own and is remembered fondly. The one guy who cared (Mahershala Ali) was pushing for it. The people who wrote the script are not Blade fans. They are mercenary writers who were told to write the script, and told how to write it, and then told how to revise it. With nobody who actually gave a poo poo about the character except Mahershala Ali, they produced a script where Blade is a secondary character in his own movie and lectured in life lessons. An absolute disaster.

Please don't read this as "movies with passionate artists working on them can't fail" because that's not what I'm saying.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 7, 2024

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

CelticPredator posted:

Bringing up again that Goop didn’t know she was in Spider-Man homecoming.

This honestly just isn't that weird. She was only in a scene with her regular co stars and Tom Holland, she had three lines and was on screen for thirty seconds, and they almost definitely filmed it while filming some other movie. Heck all her lines are about marrying Tony, it would probably seem weird to her to learn that that was going to happen in a small moment in some Spider movie instead of an Iron Man one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

Venom wasn't decent because of Care Levels,

Yes it was. If you cast anyone else in that movie it would be pretty mediocre. But Hardy’s enthusiasm for his weird take on this character elevated it to something more fun and unique than your standard superhero thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Black Adam didn’t stink because the rock cared or didn’t care. It’s because the rock keeps hiring really lame filmmakers to make his stuff. He hasn’t made a good movie starring himself since the rundown. (Pain and gain doesn’t count because he’s not the main main star but he did own in it and it is great. )

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's no guarantees, yeah, but not caring about the movie/treating it as a product makes it near-certain it's going to fail.

The idea that someone could get a script with a "fun character and solid story" that they absolutely didn't give a poo poo about and make a good movie out of it...well that doesn't pass the smell test, to me personally.

Even with projects with very small casts & crews you're going to get different degrees of enthusiasm. Depending on which role we're talking about (actor vs PA, director vs grip etc) AND assuming a significant lack of skill or professionalism; sure, a lack of care might have a noticeable effect on the finished movie.

You're describing how Harrison Ford feels about 3/4 of his most famous roles!

CelticPredator posted:

Yes it was. If you cast anyone else in that movie it would be pretty mediocre. But Hardy’s enthusiasm for his weird take on this character elevated it to something more fun and unique than your standard superhero thing.

Hardy is great ofc but venom is pretty standard CBM fare imo (well it's good, so maybe "standard" isn't quite the right word lol)

CelticPredator posted:

Black Adam didn’t stink because the rock cared or didn’t care. It’s because the rock keeps hiring really lame filmmakers to make his stuff. He hasn’t made a good movie starring himself since the rundown. (Pain and gain doesn’t count because he’s not the main main star but he did own in it and it is great. )

Yea exactly. It's the choices being made by the storytellers, not how they feel about them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

Yea exactly. It's the choices being made by the storytellers, not how they feel about them.

Choices because they cared

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do not understand what’s to argue about saying people cared about venom which lead to their choices that made the film interesting. What made it good was the fact that Hardy went for it and got weird with his choices and fought for those choices, because he cared.

What’s the problem with saying cared lol

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

I do not understand what’s to argue about saying people cared about venom which lead to their choices that made the film interesting. What made it good was the fact that Hardy went for it and got weird with his choices and fought for those choices, because he cared.

it's just that you can care and still suck, or just gently caress something up, and you can not give a poo poo and still be a pro. quality or lack of it isn't any evidence of how much you "care"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

im gonna rip my hair out.

just replace my post with whatever word or phrase you want that just means “they really wanted to make it good and enthusiastically worked hard to make it work”

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

im gonna rip my hair out.

just replace my post with whatever word or phrase you want that just means “they really wanted to make it good and enthusiastically worked hard to make it work”

So does Neil Breen.

What's being argued is how much Dakota Johnson is to blame for taking the role in Madame Web when she appears to be very pissed off about it afterwards. Some say she just needs to shut up and take her money, some seem to say her care levels weren't high enough to either make the movie good or to suss out that the movie will be poo poo before taking the role. And some say she's been screwed over by her agent or the studio or both.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

hes right here yall

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Niel breen is a bad example because he owns. His art is stupid and weird and unique. No one makes anything like him

But I think she had a bad agent who said this gig would do well for her career. And what happened is the studio at some point cared more about making money and decided to committee the hell out of it during production which made the film miserable to make.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

So does Neil Breen.

What's being argued is how much Dakota Johnson is to blame for taking the role in Madame Web when she appears to be very pissed off about it afterwards. Some say she just needs to shut up and take her money, some seem to say her care levels weren't high enough to either make the movie good or to suss out that the movie will be poo poo before taking the role. And some say she's been screwed over by her agent or the studio or both.

there are many reasons why sony continues to make bad not spiderman spiderman movies

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

hes right here yall

Thank you homie

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Niel breen is a bad example because he owns. His art is stupid and weird and unique. No one makes anything like him

But I think she had a bad agent who said this gig would do well for her career. And what happened is the studio at some point cared more about making money and decided to committee the hell out of it during production which made the film miserable to make.

Yeah I agree with all of this. There was really no need for this topic to take up five pages.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

MacheteZombie posted:

there are many reasons why sony continues to make bad not spiderman spiderman movies

This is the thread about Madame Web though??

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I am asking for a sequel to Madame Web

Frau Web <horse neighs>

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

DeimosRising posted:

it's just that you can care and still suck, or just gently caress something up, and you can not give a poo poo and still be a pro. quality or lack of it isn't any evidence of how much you "care"

Bingo.

CelticPredator posted:

There's nothing wrong with saying Hardy (or whoever) cared, I agree that he obviously did! I'm just criticizing the concept of Care Levels (TM) as the sole explanation for why a given movie is good/bad; it's usually a just-so statement left unconnected to any elements of the movie. This isn't me saying it's never a factor lol

It's not a big deal, I just see the sentiment a lot and wanted to push back on it. It's too simplistic or consequentialist (? not sure if this is the right word) for me. Ime it often is paired with the dumb logic of "George Lucas was always bad so his good movies must have been due entirely other ppl", or the reverse for like, Peter Jackson say.

CelticPredator posted:

Absolutely agree.

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah I agree with all of this. There was really no need for this topic to take up five pages.

This!

Is!

A CBM thread!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Soon...

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Her grandfather mauled the population of a small town for ten years with his own personal pride of lions without consequence, she had the clout necessary to hire an agent that would know that a sony madame web film would be a big stinker

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That DICK! posted:

Her grandfather mauled the population of a small town for ten years with his own personal pride of lions without consequence, she had the clout necessary to hire an agent that would know that a sony madame web film would be a big stinker

drat, Sony created some brand synergy between Madame Web and Kraven The Raven.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The only thing I'm "Kraven" is more Madame Web, swinging onto home video and digital on April 30th, 2024!!

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
March 14th is International Save a Spider day. Missed opportunity. :argh:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

That DICK! posted:

Her grandfather mauled the population of a small town for ten years with his own personal pride of lions without consequence

That’d actually be a good origin story for a modern kraven.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
why did the old comic book movie thread get closed anyway

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It stunk

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

GateOfD posted:

New forums policy of fewer megathreads.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

GateOfD posted:

comic book movies are dead

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just to be clear, is Dakota not caring the reason why the villains' lines got poorly ADRd? Or why she foresaw him crushed by one letter, but he wound up crushed by another?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Was there a version of this where the villain could see into the leads visions? The Britney Spears sequence makes no sense otherwise.

RandomPauI posted:

Just to be clear, is Dakota not caring the reason why the villains' lines got poorly ADRd? Or why she foresaw him crushed by one letter, but he wound up crushed by another?

She gets some ADR as well, so I doubt it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Lid posted:

Soon...

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Was there a version of this where the villain could see into the leads visions? The Britney Spears sequence makes no sense otherwise.

What do you mean? There's a whole scene where his hacker lackey finds them after one of the truckers calls in a police tip.

How dare you question the logic of this movie?!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Thorgot posted:

What do you mean? There's a whole scene where his hacker lackey finds them after one of the truckers calls in a police tip.

Nah, lol, nah. The first time she drives normally to the diner and the villain turns up after about a minute. The second time she speeds there, but the villain turns up thirty seconds early. How'd he get there faster the second time unless he can also see her visions?

Which is maybe possible because later on he pops up and taunts her, but it's not clear whether that's a special thing he contrived that one time or whether anyone can wander into anyone else's future vision as long as they've got spidey mind palace powers or

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd just handwave it as something to do with changes to traffic between the two timelines. Like, the "She books it" timeline causes the villian to not get stuck at a red light or something.

I'm not gonna bother figuring out the timeline, that's the job of the script supervisor.

Edit: It could have been more interesting if Web's personality shifted just a little bit after each time she died, and she could really only predict/prevent her death until her trip to see Yoda's in the Dagobah system some guy in Peru.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 18, 2024

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So was somebody being facetious, or did villain guy seriously use face recognition software on his vision?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

So was somebody being facetious, or did villain guy seriously use face recognition software on his vision?

He has likenesses mocked up from memory and then he runs facial recognition on those designs.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

He has likenesses mocked up from memory and then he runs facial recognition on those designs.
2003 was a crazy time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's genius, I kinda love it. gently caress you fate, I'm making a photofit out of your haunting visions of my death.