Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Adrianics posted:

I haven't seen Venom 2 but quite enjoyed Venom 1 because it's abundantly clear that Hardy has nothing but contempt for the character. His performance is completely ridiculous, at times he sounds like Droopy, and the script has golden moments like Venom bellowing "ON MY PLANET I AM A LOSER". He reminds me a lot of the extremely goofy version of Venom that's in the PS1 Spider-Man game.

https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/tom-hardy-venom-role-interview-1201983841/

I don't think he has contempt for the character, he's just having fun.

Tom Hardy is a pretty out there guy in some ways, he famously admitted to being a rentboy for acting experience and wrote a TV series where he plays the main character and a big goal of the main character (which he sees through) is to seduce his hot half-sister. Actors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

nonathlon posted:

Taboo is not good, but it has such a singleminded dedication that it's very watchable. Tom Hardy stalks into scene. Other characters quaver at the sight of him. One puts up a small bit of resistance. He growls and they run away. A woman propositions him. He reacts the same way. Cut to powerful figure cursing him, wondering how they can defeat him. Repeat.

It has the exact energy of a Steven Seagal movie from the late 80s, it rules.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

How? Does he run funny or something?

Seagal didn't rocket up to top of Action Mountain, however briefly, on a funny run.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

When Sony got the rights to Spider-Man they got the rights to all his supplementary characters, heroes and villains alike, except for Punisher and a few others.

All this poo poo about the Kraven and Morbius and Madame Web is just corporate suits who have never read a comic book or given a single second to trying to understand the audience saying "well we own Spider-Man's friends, and Spider-Man is a big hit, so presumably these people want to see his friends and villains in movies" and then making them. It's pure IP strip-mining for dollars.

They don't understand that almost nobody cares about these characters beyond their relationship to Spider-Man.

They find some creatives who don't give a gently caress at all about what they're working on and want the paycheck. They go through the motions, they produce A Movie and then the movie gets released and it sucks, because there is zero passion behind it. It's fully art as product, and it's death.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Blood Boils posted:

Venom wasn't decent because of Care Levels, but because the character was fun and the story was solid. Hardy definitely has some name draw, but he didn't write the script or edit, and he's been in plenty of "bombs". There's no guarantees

There's no guarantees, yeah, but not caring about the movie/treating it as a product makes it near-certain it's going to fail.

The idea that someone could get a script with a "fun character and solid story" that they absolutely didn't give a poo poo about and make a good movie out of it...well that doesn't pass the smell test, to me personally. The "One for the Studio, One for Myself" movies are a great study on this.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Grendels Dad posted:

But then you get someone like The Rock at Max Carelevels doing his best to push a movie that is, dedpite all his apparent efforts, a giant turd.

The issue here is, again, the actual people who made the movie did not care. It's a Rock Vehicle. The Rock may care about it, but it was created as A Product for People Who Wanted To See The Rock. Unless you think somebody really put their heart and soul into Tooth Fairy or w/e.

I would also argue that The Rock does not care about the movie either. He cares about The Rock's Success. He pushes his tequila with the exact same intensity.

Edit: on some level everybody understands this. If you have to go to the doctor, you want to go to the one who actually got into it to help people, not the one who is doing it for money.

Everyone is wondering why a lot of modern movies and AAA games suck and the reason is fairly easy: it used to be that the model for this stuff was that studios existed to give money to people who were passionate about something that the studio felt was economically viable. Now the studios are dictating what gets made and how. That's a recipe for terrible art.

The new Blade is a great example. The studio commissioned a script for Blade, a character whose IP they own and is remembered fondly. The one guy who cared (Mahershala Ali) was pushing for it. The people who wrote the script are not Blade fans. They are mercenary writers who were told to write the script, and told how to write it, and then told how to revise it. With nobody who actually gave a poo poo about the character except Mahershala Ali, they produced a script where Blade is a secondary character in his own movie and lectured in life lessons. An absolute disaster.

Please don't read this as "movies with passionate artists working on them can't fail" because that's not what I'm saying.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 7, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I would hope that nobody lets anyone's online opinion stop them from doing something in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Josh, I must counsel you to use your temporal powers for personal gain and/or world peace and not to bring us early BTS vids.