Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Grittybeard posted:

I do not know why the Ravens and 49ers both didn't just run the ball down the Chiefs throats all day. For the Ravens I guess maybe it was planned to be Lamar's coming out party or something, but Brock Purdy doesn't need to prove anything past being the first Mr Irrelevant to start a Super Bowl at QB. If there's a time to burn CMC to the ground it's now.

The Chiefs spent the entire second half with 8 or 9 guys near the LoS just daring the 49ers to run and OCs will rarely look at something like that and think “the numbers suck for us, but let’s run it anyway.” They also didn’t have a ton of success when they did run CMC. He had 22 rushes for 80 yards.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t have run it more but it’s not like they were gashing the chiefs when they did run it so it’s pretty easy to see how you end up stuck in this rut of passing the get the defense to back up so there’s a little space to break one, except Purdy kinda sucked in the 3rd Q so that didn’t work at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

solarjetman posted:

Maybe I missed this because I wasn't in the GDT but: the Chiefs let the game clock run down all the way to 7 seconds before throwing the TD pass on first and goal. Would the game have ended if the game clock had run out before they scored?

No, they just flip the field and play another quarter.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Black Sunshine posted:

LOL I missed that amongst all the chaos, seems normal

That guy always gets insanely angry at 49ers games, he should probably stop watching football and get therapy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Mystic Stylez posted:

nothing is a given in a football game, I agree, but at some specific times it was very suspect, like when the 49ers had to settle for a field goal after a 2nd and 4 when McCaffrey got 6 yards on his first carry and they were gaining big momentum

If you’re talking about the FG in OT that first 6 yard rush was followed by a second rush that gained 0 yards and left them at 3rd and 4 which is almost always a passing down and distance in the modern NFL. And then the pass play had a good shot at a TD if the interior could have stopped Chris Jones for even a second.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

If your main thought while watching and immediately following the superbowl is “how does this relate to Donald Trump” please, I beg you, go outside, touch grass, don’t post

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

davecrazy posted:

As an OC or HC he’s had a double digit lead in 3 Super Bowl and lost all 3.

Is there any other OC in history that gets blamed for their team losing the Super Bowl instead of the head coach?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

indigi posted:

unfortunately the first three quarters also count. should have gone into the half up by 2 scores at least

Why two? Why not four? Hell, make it a dozen!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Midnightghoul posted:

Will the overtime rules be changed back now that it helped Mahomes win

They would have won under the old rules as well.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Canned Sunshine posted:

I'm pretty sure it was, because it seemed like the Saints' D was going a little... extra hard at Favre, in the 'Let's injure him however we can" way, and it seemed weird until a few years later when the whole Bounty Gate scandal came out.

Yes, those were Bounty Gate years, on the other hand Favre is a gigantic piece of poo poo so they were doing the lords work.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MJeff posted:

Thing is if the 49ers scored a TD, the Chiefs planned to go for 2. There wasn't gonna be a third possession either way.

Shanahan would have probably taken a coin flip on a single play deciding the outcome vs giving the Chiefs the ball first, then needing a TD to tie it, then the Chiefs only needing a FG to win.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

is this why the niners kicked a fg in OT, in order to slowplay the Chiefs into also going for a FG

If the other teams get the ball second and needs a TD, anyone with a brain knows they will go for 2 and make a 3rd possession moot

I don’t think it’s at all a given that every team in the league goes for two in that situation. Plenty of conservative coaches (like Shanahan) would take the PAT and keep playing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Converting a 2 seems a lot easier than successfully playing defense and driving down the field again

Okay, but a lot of coaches already don’t go for 2 when it’s the optimal strategy, or don’t go for it on 4th when it’s the optimal strategy and I guarantee plenty of coaches will also not go for 2 and risk losing it all on a single play vs continuing the game.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

More and more coaches aren’t doing that anymore so I don’t think that’s a thing you can assume anymore

Coaches go for it on 4th more than they used to but still much less than they would if they were making decisions entirely based on the expected outcomes. And it varies pretty significantly with some coaches being much more aggressive than others.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2467217/amp

Maybe this will change as older coaches are replaced with younger ones but right now there are still a number who would likely take the PAT and trust their defense to get a stop.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I think the bigger coaching issue is that they couldn’t score a touchdown and then couldn’t stop the Chiefs from scoring a touchdown, not that the fullback didn’t know the OT rules.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

indigi posted:

it's a sign of sloppy coaching. you want your team to know the rules of the game even if it doesn't come up. I’m sure they teach ball security at the goal line because of the fumble out of the endzone rule even though that happens so rarely

They teach ball security everywhere because fumbling everywhere is bad.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Fat Jesus posted:

Also the thing about the players not knowing the OT rules is you start to suspect there's other little things overlooked for other rare situations. It just tells you the Chiefs were better prepared, but Hardman didn't know the game was over, so...

The fact that the 49ers had multiple missed blocking assignments on the line they lead to rushers getting a free shot at Purdy tells me way more about their level of preparation than the fullback not knowing the new, playoff only, OT rules.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Radia posted:

how many teams get to the superbowl in any given year

By getting to two superbowls in five years and losing both he’s simply proven that he’s reached his ceiling, unlike all of those other coaches who can’t get there at all and thus have unlimited untapped potential.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 13, 2024

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

D-LINK posted:

Or have to find a coach that can win when given multiple opportunities?

How many coaches get multiple opportunities? How many coaches get multiple opportunities with multiple QBs, none of whom are superstars?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Abugadu posted:

If Purdy could hit a deep ball consistently they would have won by double digits. His skill set for now is short passes to players that YAC the hell out of the other team, and the occasional scramble for 10-40 yards when the other team forgets to keep him hemmed in the pocket.

Purdy was maybe the best deep ball thrower in the league this year in the regular season. He was actually middle of the pack in yards contributed by YAC. He just couldn’t do it in the playoffs, but that’s not entirely on him, the pass protection was pretty bad.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

indigi posted:

the thing with Shanahan isn't simply that he's lost two superbowls after leading by ten, it's that in quite a few big games - NFCCGs, games vs other superbowl contenders - his teams have repeatedly floundered in the second half and often struggle to either protect a lead or mount comebacks. it's not just a 2 game sample size.

This simply isn’t true.
Playoff games:
2023: Chiefs - Winning 10-3 at half, lose in OT
2023: Lions - Came back from a 24-7 deficit at halftime
2023: Packers - Winning 7-6 at the half, trade scores with Packers all second half and pull out the win.
2022: Eagles - Who cares they were playing Josh Johnson at QB
2022: Seahawks - Losing 17-16 at the half, end up winning by like 20
2022: Cowboys - Winning 9-6 at the half, win 19-12
2021: Cowboys - Winning 16-7 at the half, win 23-17 without ever losing the lead
2021: Packers - Losing 7-3 at the half, win 13-10
2021: Rams - Winning 10-7 at the half, lose 20-17.
2019: Vikings - Winning 14-10 at the half, end up winning 27-10
2019: Packers - Winning 27-0 at the half, Win 37-20
2019: Chiefs - Tied 10-10 at the half, lose 31-20

The only real pattern is that they win most of their playoff games and he’s not good enough to beat Reid and Mahomes.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

indigi posted:

I said I wasn't just talking about playoff games but ok

You mentioned conference championships and big games vs contenders, what games are those if not playoff games?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

This is literally just “sometimes they lose to other teams.” It has nothing to do with some specific identifiable issue with protecting leads or coming back, it’s just “here are games they lost.”

Every loss is a failure to “protect a lead or mount a comeback,” but I thought you were trying to make a point beyond “sometimes his teams lose games.”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Fat Jesus posted:

MVP Lamar Jackson didn't look too hot against the chiefs either, Purdy's alright, top 10.

He was off through the entire playoffs, it wasn’t just last night.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

indigi posted:

no, it's losses against superbowl contenders. I didn’t put the Vikings or Titans games in there, purposely. you're being very bad faith about this

I don’t know how to argue in good faith with someone who is trying to say that losing some games against good teams is a fatal flaw in a football coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

indigi posted:

he loses them in the same ways. You are arguing that he's a perfect coach; it's really strange considering he keeps losing, for very obvious reasons. but you can keep ignoring that

You listed three games that they lost and the only common denominator is that they lost them. They had close games with the Vikings and Browns and got blown out by the Bengals. In some they were leading at the half in others trailing. In one they lost when the kicker missed a game winning field goal from inside his range. It’s literally just a list of games they lost.

Shanahan has his problems, just like every coach, but I think the idea that he can’t win the big one because he has failed in two superbowls against the Pat Mahomes and Andy Reid is just goofy. He’s made four CCGs in five years with Jimmy G and Mr. Irrelevant at QB!