Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Knowshon Moreno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Lee Evans, from the era when the Bills were consistently trash but always seemed to have a good #1 receiver

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Hoby Brenner.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Frostee Rucker

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Crescent Wrench posted:

Knowshon Moreno

Who doesn't knowshon Moreno?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
TJ Duckett

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Eric Moulds

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I've seen Todd Pinkston mentioned in this thread several times but here's the main reason why I remember him

I wish Sports Reference still had sponsored pages, there were some real gems back in the day.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

O-T-I-S Smith

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Julius Thomas - I thought he was THE guy then he signed with Dolphins and proved himself A guy and faded into obscurity as far as I can tell. I actually have his jersey lol
I just discovered this thread and have to bring this up 13 pages later - he signed with the Jags for a biiiiig contract before he went to the Dolphins lmao

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cliff Avril, who was a decent to good DE for Detroit during the Jim Schwartz era, and who later dipped to (successfully) ring-chase in Seattle.

Have a very clear memory of him pick-sixing Phillip Rivers on SNF in 2011, a game that got Detroit its first playoff appearance of the 21st century. Though I guess Detroit had the game well in hand at that point, in my head it was the clinching score.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Benne posted:

I've seen Todd Pinkston mentioned in this thread several times but here's the main reason why I remember him

I wish Sports Reference still had sponsored pages, there were some real gems back in the day.

five paragraph essay structure on point here

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ifeanyi Ohalete

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Benne posted:

Todd Pinkston was the lesser talented of a WR pair at Southern Miss.

Sherrod Gideon was better, but had the worst-timed high ankle sprain of all time in his senior season, and couldn't make it out of training camp with the Saints. Ended up bouncing around the CFL.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Josh Reed. Met the dude several times. He was married to my cousin for awhile, won the Biletnikoff Trophy, set a ton of receiving records during his 2 years at LSU, was projected to go in the first round of the draft but then slipped to a high second. Spent his entire career at Buffalo when they were a dire rear end team, had a second shot because he helped Sam Bradford work out before he got drafted to the Rams so there was hope that Bradford might ask the Rams to bring him on board as well (he was a free agent at the time), now coaches High School ball

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Benne posted:

Someone in SAS sponsored Jim Thome's page with a Jon Bois joke back in like 2005 or 2006.

JI

JIM THOME

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Tom Tupa had such a punter-rear end name that eventually he became one.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Jeff Fuckin’ Feagles

I still remember Giants fans chanting “We want Feagles!” during some games in 2010 because of how bad Matt Dodge was, and that was weeks before he kicked it to loving Desean Jackson :argh:

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Jeff Fuckin’ Feagles

I still remember Giants fans chanting “We want Feagles!” during some games in 2010 because of how bad Matt Dodge was, and that was weeks before he kicked it to loving Desean Jackson :argh:

Steve Weatherford.

I unironically think he should have won SB MVP in 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Britton Colquitt
Dustin Colquitt

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Craig Colquitt

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

fartknocker posted:

Jeff Fuckin’ Feagles

Alas, he was born to be an Eagle

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Karsten Sween

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ray Crockett.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Michael Koenan, Western Washington legend

(I had a co-worker who was cousins with him and would get free tickets whenever the Falcons came to Seattle)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Steve Slaton

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Benne posted:

Michael Koenan, Western Washington legend

(I had a co-worker who was cousins with him and would get free tickets whenever the Falcons came to Seattle)

Michael QAnon

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Britton Colquitt
Dustin Colquitt

I don't know that I would call Dustin "a guy". He played for the Chiefs for 10 years, won a Super Bowl and was a 2x All Pro.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know that I would call Dustin "a guy". He played for the Chiefs for 10 years, won a Super Bowl and was a 2x All Pro.

All punters are Guys, except, ironically, Ray Guy.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

All punters are Guys, except, ironically, Ray Guy.

Shane Lechler is another exception because he was better than Ray and belongs in the Hall of Fame as well.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Lechler and Janikowski were the second and third best players on the Raiders for what felt like 15 years.

#1 was the pigeon.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Truth

Man, it's been rough since 2002!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
maybe not exactly along the thread's line, but inspired by today's episode of Domonique Foxworth's podcast, I present

Clyde Douglas "Bulldog" Turner

• played Center and LB
  • in college he was a Little All American, which is apparently an All American team made up of guys who are deemed too short/light for their position (listed at 6'1 247, which doesn't seem small for the 40s, but maybe he had a growth spurt)
  • in 1945, while on active military duty as a PT drill sergeant for the US Army Air Force, he was given two weeks furlough to play for the Bears in the playoffs
  • once at a party he drunkenly "fell" out of a second story window. when a cop ran over to ask what happened, he reportedly said "I don't know, I also just got here"

Bulldog as an instructor at basic training

indigi fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 6, 2024

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
He was also the coach of the New York Titans before they became the Jets.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Tobias Dorzon

I actually only know him through competitive food tv

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Larry Centers

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Odessa Turner

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Ebenezer Ekuban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

He’s another of those guys where it seemed announcers always said his full name. Maybe cause it flowed better, maybe cause they just wanted to say Ebenezer.