Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't really know anything about Zack except he's the real cloud and I'm fine with that

You should play Crisis Core. I am playing it now and it's great. Just a jock being constantly tormented by theater kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Zack is the most consistently Good Dude in the entire story and it takes until the end of Rebirth for him to figure out the universe is literally out to kill him for it

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
There's a reason he was barely a character in the OG game

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Zack is genuinely the only nice guy on Gaia or whatever they wanna call it and he's goofy as poo poo. he's a grown up Sora in the dourass FF7 world

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Zack is genuinely the only nice guy on Gaia or whatever they wanna call it and he's goofy as poo poo. he's a grown up Sora in the dourass FF7 world

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lol I genuinely did not know he was in BbS

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I honestly wish the KH games would follow up on whatever the gently caress happened to its version of Zack.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Raxivace posted:

I honestly wish the KH games would follow up on whatever the gently caress happened to its version of Zack.

If I remember correctly, in the post credits sequence of the Disney worlds it shows a black feather floating down behind Zack so Sephiroth probably straight up killed him.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Trailer shows Zack going to the Old Yeller world with a hunter doing the exact same camera cut as the soldier at the end of Crisis Core.

"The price of freedom is steep."

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Somebody pointed out something interesting in regards to the battle against Jenova Lifeclinger, we might actually be jumping between timestreams there. The versions of the party at the start are horrified, enraged, and downcast, but at the climactic descent as they go all Advent Children on Jenova, they're upbeat, confident, and comparatively cheerful, with no signs of distress, just righteous anger.

Maybe one set was from Cloud's current world where Aerith falls, another from the version where Aerith lives? And Cloud (and maybe Tifa) are glitching back and forth because they've touched the Lifestream and are cognizant of multiple worlds indirectly that way?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Gologle posted:

If I remember correctly, in the post credits sequence of the Disney worlds it shows a black feather floating down behind Zack so Sephiroth probably straight up killed him.

Either that or Angeal stopped by to pick up his pupil.

Also game done. Game good. What is the play for dealing with Heartless Angel my winning run only worked out because he never used the loving thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Either that or Angeal stopped by to pick up his pupil.

Also game done. Game good. What is the play for dealing with Heartless Angel my winning run only worked out because he never used the loving thing.

Doesn't Angeal have white feathers?

As for Heartless Angel, all I could figure to do was just make sure I always had at least 1 ATB ready in the second half of the fight so I could heal ASAP. This was, of course, easier said than done.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Harrow posted:

Doesn't Angeal have white feathers?

In my defense there are way too many people with wings in FF7.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There really are

It's so goofy to me that we went from "One-Winged Angel" just being the title of a final boss track to Sephiroth literally having a single wing starting in Kingdom Hearts, to that just being a thing that happens to SOLDIER prototypes sometimes.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It refers to Safer Sephiroth's one winged arm. I agree it's weirdly over-focused and a bit over-done in all the spin-off media but it is what it is now.

BisbyWorl posted:

What is the play for dealing with Heartless Angel my winning run only worked out because he never used the loving thing.

Generally you want to bank one ATB all the time. Consider it a 'reactive' ATB point. It's no good having to spam basic attacks in a panic because you can't heal yourself. That's how game overs happen.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Harrow posted:

It's so goofy to me that we went from "One-Winged Angel" just being the title of a final boss track to Sephiroth literally having a single wing starting in Kingdom Hearts, to that just being a thing that happens to SOLDIER prototypes sometimes.

Safer Sephiroth always had a single black wing, even in OG.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh sure I know that, I'm just saying that having a single black angel wing was never a part of Sephiroth's major aesthetic until Kingdom Hearts and it's funny how Crisis Core made that something that happens to a bunch of different people

(Also Safer Sephiroth has like 7 wings total if we count the ones that make up his lower body :v:)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I think Sephiroth having a single wing looks lame

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s badass, actually

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Um actually the symbolism is very deep, it represents capitalism because while the

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sephiroth is raw unfiltered "This was the epitome of cool in the 90s" and that includes having one random wing.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Just finished the game last night and while I enjoyed it, I didn't really like the last chapter/ending.

I played the original back at release when I was 15 or something, and the whole Aeris dies thing stuck with me since then, it was probably the first video game that actually made teenage me feel some kind of emotional response.

Fast forward to rebirth and I was looking forward to seeing what they did with it - would she die and we'd get the heartbreak all over again, or would they tip everything on its head and we'd get a joyous happy victory against fate?

I'd have been happy with either, but in the end I just felt kinda confused? To the point where I wasn't actually sure if she was full on dead or dead in some dimensions and alive in others or just a ghost in Cloud's broken brain. I felt like I had to read a few things to see other peoples reactions and thoughts, but this meant that during those final moments of the game that I thought would be stuck in my head for one emotional reason or another, instead of feeling any kind of emotion I was instead just scratching my head.

The only thing that registered at all really was Tifa sobbing when the crew were all sat around the tiny bronco right at the end, that was rough. But yeah slightly disappointing after all the build-up up to that point, imo.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Just finished the game. Think I enjoyed the ending but I would like to know where to read not "internet hot take brain" thoughts on it (I assume there's some in this thread but it's 50 pages).

Poor Cloud. Man's brain is soup.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sockser posted:

I think Sephiroth having a single wing looks lame

fck you

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I thought it looked dumb in Kingdom Hearts and I think it's looks dumb every time anyone else does it.

Zack better not do it, Aerith better not do it, I will tolerate Wedge doing it!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Coming to the spoiler thread for a more serious discussion of the implications on the new Gi lore on the overall plot. To wit: is Sephiroth Like This because being part Jenova renders him unable to fully enter the lifestream, or does Jenova becoming part Sephiroth allow her access to the lifestream where she can cause all kinds of trouble?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

Coming to the spoiler thread for a more serious discussion of the implications on the new Gi lore on the overall plot. To wit: is Sephiroth Like This because being part Jenova renders him unable to fully enter the lifestream, or does Jenova becoming part Sephiroth allow her access to the lifestream where she can cause all kinds of trouble?

It seems to be the former. A similar example (from classic) is Lucretia who literally killed herself but the Jenova cells inside of her wouldn't let her die, which is why she's in crystal stasis instead.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Would that not then also apply to all the black-robes and possibly Cloud as well?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lines posted:

Would that not then also apply to all the black-robes and possibly Cloud as well?

It's not entirely clear since Lucretia and Sephiroth are a different case, but Jenova Taint being a problem is a thing. It's the cause of Geostigma in Advent Children and the actual Geostigma is caused by the bad interaction between lifestream and Jenova. Even once it is seemingly cured at the end, it's pointed out that DEEPGROUND was specifically avoiding people who had contracted Geostigma because they thought that the planet would only accept 'untainted' people for its emergency plan.

Like it's worth noting that Sephiroth's advent children plan was flat-out "I am going to infect as many people as possible with Geostigma and then when enough of them die there will be a critical mass of Jenova in the Lifestream and we can take it over." The actual Geostigma issue gets resolved at the end but Sephiroth/Jenova being around because they won't loving die is still a thing.

(It's worth noting this is also a pretty big part of why people think the Remakes are a sequel, especially since Rebirth literally shows Sephiroth in the Lifestream warring against the planet, and clearing up the Jenovaroth problem would allow it to finally 'close' the FF7 plot.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 21, 2024

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I've figured it out. The real plot is that Aerith is attempting to slingshot herself through the lifestream until she reaches far enough into the past that she'll be able to destroy Jenova before she ends up being used for Hojo's experiments. This will be revealed in a post-credits sequence before Cloud wakes up in bed with Tifa, Zack, and Aerith who tells him it was just a bad dream—but she's referring to the events of the entire Compilation of FFVII (including the original).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

It's not entirely clear since Lucretia and Sephiroth are a different case, but Jenova Taint being a problem is a thing. It's the cause of Geostigma in Advent Children and the actual Geostigma is caused by the bad interaction between lifestream and Jenova. Even once it is seemingly cured at the end, it's pointed out that DEEPGROUND was specifically avoiding people who had contracted Geostigma because they thought that the planet would only accept 'untainted' people for its emergency plan.

Like it's worth noting that Sephiroth's advent children plan was flat-out "I am going to infect as many people as possible with Geostigma and then when enough of them die there will be a critical mass of Jenova in the Lifestream and we can take it over." The actual Geostigma issue gets resolved at the end but Sephiroth/Jenova being around because they won't loving die is still a thing.

(It's worth noting this is also a pretty big part of why people think the Remakes are a sequel, especially since Rebirth literally shows Sephiroth in the Lifestream warring against the planet, and clearing up the Jenovaroth problem would allow it to finally 'close' the FF7 plot.)

Also in Lifestream Black, we get this stuff

quote:

The man could sense the Lifestream trying to erode his spirit– the memories of his former experiences, thoughts and emotions. If he allowed himself be taken into the current, the being he once was would soon disseminate and disappear amongst the spirit energy cycling around the planet. The man thought this unacceptable. The planet was to be his to rule, and to become a part of that system would be nothing short of defeat.

The man sensed a large flux in the Lifestream. A sign of another, different defeat. When the Lifestream erupted onto the surface of the planet, the man thought that Cloud was no doubt certain of his victory. Cloud was the one who had twice sent the man into the Lifestream. The man knew that if one could hold onto some core of their spirit, then one could remain a separate entity, independent from the planet’s system. Cloud. The man decided to make Cloud that core. And he wanted to let Cloud know of that. I’m still thinking of you. And I’ll show you the proof of that as well.

When the Lifestream erupted onto the surface of the planet, the man had already surrendered his inconsequential memories to the planet. Memories from when he was a boy, of his few friends, of the battles when he was still unaware, of his life in bygone days– all these became a part of the inundation, encased around Meteor, and finally receded. At the same time, the core of his spirit, and those memories deeply related to it, moved from torrent to torrent, and traveled around the land, from city to city. When the people who were trying to escape, or those left unable to do anything but stand still, were enveloped by those streams, he decided to leave them with his stigma. If Cloud noticed that stigma, the man was certain that he would never disappear. As long as Cloud remembers me, I can continue to exist. Within the Lifestream, and on the surface. Even if my spirit disseminates, even if just one fragment of a memory courses around the planet, in the end I can count on Cloud’s consciousness to bring me back, the man thought.

Despite mankind’s troubles, life on the planet had returned to normal. The man became aware of the increase in spirits— they could be called the darkness of the heart— melding with the Lifestream. He cherished that lingering darkness. Even more so when he considered that the stigma he had left on the surface was what created it. He thought that he could possibly enjoy himself with that. Filling the Lifestream with this darkness.

The man hid himself within the life on the planet and traveled around the world, branding even more people with his stigma. On the surface there were many people who no longer had their normal lives, and at the man’s temptation the dark parts of their hearts grew even larger.

Soon the man thought to himself; I want Cloud to know this is my doing. I want the humans to know this is my doing. For that he needed a body. There were things he wanted to say in his own voice. Things he wanted to shatter by his own hand.

He had decided he would use his Mother’s power. With a fragment of Mother’s body, I too can get a body again, the man thought. And so firstly, he tried to manifest on the surface as just a spirit, but his attempt failed. He had already returned the memories of his own appearance to the planet, and so he was not able to produce an image of himself. So the man found memories of a suitable appearance from the Lifestream, and with that form produced an image. It was the form of a boy. Soon the man remembered that being on the surface was incomparably more limited than the freedom of being a spirit. He created two more agents to do his work. These three were separate entities, and at the same time he himself. These three, created by the strength of the man’s will and detached from the system of the planet, were both at once a part of reality and monsters out of fantasy.

The man thought of the future. As my servants are looking for Mother, if they come across someone who knows me, then from that spirit I can learn of who I once was. And with Mother’s further assistance, I can become fully real. Even if there’s something lacking, it doesn’t matter. Cloud will make me complete.

— That will be the beginning, the man thought.

This also explains why Sephiroth is always 'born' to the planet, he surrendered his childhood to the Lifestream, which in turn means he'll always be reborn, and he exists as an infection. Also yeah this was written for Advent Children but I think it's still quite applicable and important to Rebirth.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oh, that's pretty interesting. I never read Lifestream Black, and I only remember small snippets of White, so I didn't know that the Sephiroth that "exists" now is practically entirely different from the Sephiroth before his death. I'm kinda sad that it implies he literally doesn't even remember Genesis or Angeal anymore, but this could also possibly mean that the vestiges of Sephiroth that were good might still be able to reincarnate somehow.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly, I thought it was fairly obvious that the Sephiroth we encounter is no longer even slightly human.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
In the same way as the "sephiroth" we encountered in the original wasn't human and was jenova/possessed black cloaks/mind spectres, or in a different way?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Okay, I've finished the game a second time, and I'm definitely still confused about some parts. Some of that feels like it should get resolved in the next game (Zack and Ur-Aerith), but some of it feels like I'm supposed to understand it but there's too much noise to get at the signal.

The White Whispers try to stop the party going ahead - is that because the ur-Aerith knows if they get there she'll die? Their motivation is completely opaque to be.

The Wall of Whispers come down - which is a mixture of white and black Whispers? Or maybe just black...but then three black whispers hit it, making an opening that the party keeps open for Cloud to go through. I think that what's happening there is Sephiroth wants Cloud to see Aerith die, but is concerned that maybe if they're all there they'll be able to stop him? Unclear. They respond to Cloud saying her name...is it him imposing his will in opposition to Sephiroth?

He gets there and a mixture of black and white whispers make him raise his sword, reenacting the original. Seph jumps down and Cloud...stops his blade? Aerith is kneeling and upright, the masamune is broken. Then there's a glitch, and she's dead, the masamune coated in her blood. We see him awaken one Aerith who encourages him to fight - Tifa and the others see a version of him holding her with a pool of blood underneath her. It's not clear if this is Cloud hallucinating or not, but it might be a version of Aerith trying to help him keep it together by pretending to be alive.

You defeat Jenova Life Clinger, and then Sephiroth in his Birth of a God form. Super! Then you and Aerith (not sure if that's the ur-Aerith from the dreams but I think so) fight and defeat him. And he seems genuinely put out by that for a moment, then he laughs and flies off.

They're at the pool in the city of the Ancients, and after a glitch Cloud sees Aerith there as well. Tifa explicitly does not, but does see him standing with a space left for Aerith. This could be this world's Aerith trying to help Cloud keep it together? But then he sees the scar in the sky that the others don't, so maybe he's caught between realities...

There still seems to a difference between the Jenova posing as Sephiroth at the City of the Ancients who calls Cloud a puppet and the one between worlds who wants him to understand and lend him his strength, but I'm not sure. It could be lending his strength in the reunion after all. I'm also not sure how Cloud ended to with the black materia (I guess from defeating Jenova but we never see that) or why it merges with the Buster sword.

I do not regret any of the time I spent with this game but I would like to figure out what I think is going on with some of that, even in the abstract. Curious what other people think, especially about different Sephiroths and whether Aerith at the end is a ghost from this world or something else.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I like the way that Jenova feels like this very active threat. I'm also increasingly sure that Queen's Blood was somehow a retelling of Jenova's original story (i.e. she is the Shadowblood Queen on some level) but I don't really know if they'll go anywhere with it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The cheevo you get at the end of the game is Confluence of Worlds, so I'm under the impression that A) Cloud saved Aerith B) it got smushed into the OG timeline where Cloud didn't save Aerith. We're now reading a Choose Your Own Adventure book where we could have gone to page 50 or page 60 and instead the pages are superimposed

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cavelcade posted:

You defeat Jenova Life Clinger, and then Sephiroth in his Birth of a God form. Super! Then you and Aerith (not sure if that's the ur-Aerith from the dreams but I think so) fight and defeat him. And he seems genuinely put out by that for a moment, then he laughs and flies off.

So I think the goal of Whisper Sephiroth is not to force the game to follow OG path, but to follow a path where Sephiroth actually wins. To do this he needed to open the possibility for the story to change, which he did with Cloud et. al. at the end of Remake. But that made there be possible universes where he loses even more, so the final battle is him trying to cut off the possible worlds to those where Aertih dies and everything is as bad or worse than OG for Cloud. Cloud and Ur-Aerith prevent him from doing that in that final battle, so he is miffed that he hasn't secured a total victory yet; there are still possible worlds where Aerith is alive. And then he laughs because he still has the chance to kill everyone at the Northern Crater and Cloud is going to be more mentally unstable than ever for that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, it's not quite clear, but Sephiroth was about to Win 'here'. His goal, the amassment of great power through the unification of disparate possibilities was entirely within his grasp, his big speech about making you feel anger/despair and how powerful those emotions were? The full LBs for everyone but Cloud? The reason he failed was that Cloud didn't succumb to those emotions and have a full LB gauge.

Cloud (Due to his belief/reality of having saved aerith) kept Sephiroth from being able to absorb the power he needed. Him leaving in the final battle was an admission his plans had utterly failed at this point. He could no longer route a path to victory, and he wasn't going to get any kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
In the Nibelheim proto-relic quest, there is the cutscene with Hojo talking about Chadley. Does this get followed up at all or is it just a teaser for Part 3? I noped out of doing the Summon fights for the final proto-relic quest.