Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Palmtree Panic posted:

In the Nibelheim proto-relic quest, there is the cutscene with Hojo talking about Chadley. Does this get followed up at all or is it just a teaser for Part 3? I noped out of doing the Summon fights for the final proto-relic quest.

I think this is going to be concluded in Part 3, Charley does get a scene following completion of all the world intel but it doesn’t deal with the Hojo cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Finished the game. The Whispers are a mess. Rebirth Sephiroth being in part 2 is cool, but also kind of a mess for how much it messes with the emotional throughline of the finale. I'm not crazy about how Sephiroth keeps doing these 3 Stock Final Destination showdowns in both remake games. At this point it feels like Sephiroth in the remake games fills the role that Jenova filled originally, which is that he's a big inscrutable cosmic monster. Maybe that's intentional.

The timeline stuff is a mess, and I think it was a misstep not to show Aerith being stabbed--from a purely visual storytelling perspective it is very muddy and hard to decipher. OTOH, Cloud seeing alternate versions of the event is interesting on both a visual and a narrative level, so it's a mixed bag. The idea that Cloud is both 1. having a psychotic break from a confluence of ptsd and mako poising but also 2. genuinely can see realities overlapping -- that's pretty cool as a concept, and I could see them doing some great stuff with it in Part 3.

From a narrative standpoint I totally get why they decided that Aerith's death would have to be this way, because it really does leave the player suspending their judgment of what will happen to her until the very end, and allows a sort of expanded emotional tribute to her. The downside is that it almost deifies her by making her death this Christ-like cosmic event. But Aerith is so fully-realized as a character in these remake games that I think it ultimately works. Her standing in the grasslands at the very end is heartbreaking. Those shots where Cloud sees her but the rest of the party doesn't, likewise, are very simple but emotionally striking.

I think, after Remake, they had a chance to let Aerith live and take the story in a different direction. I respect the decision to have her die in Rebirth. But, having made that decision, I think it will probably be a bad idea if she "comes back" in any wish fulfillment sense in part 3. All of the timeline realities stuff, Cloud seeing her, etc. should probably be funneled into a narrative about coming to terms and making peace with life and death.

I suspect that the "Reunion/Homecoming" theme is going to resolve with Zack and Aerith finding some way to reconnect with Cloud, and he will "come home" in the sense that he accepts the cycle of the Lifestream, and that as long as the planet is alive, they're all home. That seems like the most reasonable way to synthesize the ecological story of the original FF7 with this metaphysical multiverse rebirth narrative.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I know this thread has been dead for weeks but I just finished the game and damnit I have feelings. It's been nice to look through the past few months of posts to help solidify my own thoughts about everything. Still have some processing but expect an effort post in the near future.

Clarste posted:

Specifically the writer wanted to write a protagonist death that wasn't some kind of heroic sacrifice, both to contrast previous Final Fantasy death scenes and to evoke the feeling of hollowness he felt when his mother died.

Holy poo poo. I never knew that. I guess teaching an international generation of children about loss, love, and forging meaning from the cruelty of life is one way to honor your Mom's legacy. That does set a pretty high bar for the rest of us.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another element of FFVII's exploration of grief is the idea that even when someone's dead, they're not truly gone so long as they live in your memory. That's the big metaphor the Lifestream is meant to represent and why it's so explicitly made of memories. I really like that as a metaphor.

Cephas posted:

I think, after Remake, they had a chance to let Aerith live and take the story in a different direction. I respect the decision to have her die in Rebirth. But, having made that decision, I think it will probably be a bad idea if she "comes back" in any wish fulfillment sense in part 3. All of the timeline realities stuff, Cloud seeing her, etc. should probably be funneled into a narrative about coming to terms and making peace with life and death.

I suspect that the "Reunion/Homecoming" theme is going to resolve with Zack and Aerith finding some way to reconnect with Cloud, and he will "come home" in the sense that he accepts the cycle of the Lifestream, and that as long as the planet is alive, they're all home. That seems like the most reasonable way to synthesize the ecological story of the original FF7 with this metaphysical multiverse rebirth narrative.

I 100% agree with this reading.

I think my take having digested Rebirth for a while is that even though I think Rebirth also makes some missteps with its timeline/Whispers/etc. stuff, I feel more like it's going in a direction that will remain faithful to the themes and spirit of the original, if not the plot, and that's honestly all I'd really want. The idea of Zack and Aerith reconnecting with Cloud and them all accepting the cycle of the Lifestream, with Zack and Aerith moving on at the end, would be a great way to wrap that up.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 8, 2024