Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

ike, Cloud goes from "who cares the planet is dying" too cool for school soldier-man to pretty nice guy in about five minutes. He really drops the rear end in a top hat merc gimmick after Tifa's bar, honestly. It's pretty abrupt.

i don't know that this is true. he's more invested in saving aeristh from the shinra building and afterwards his personal vendetta against sephiroth than he was AVALANCHE so when that becomes the focus he has a lot less reason to go "i don't care" all the time. I don't think that's an abrupt change in characterization. He's still notably a dick for large portion of the game, including my personal standout line "Listen, Yuffie, I don't care about the history of Wutai or your feelings".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, none of the party was feeling particularly sympathetic to Yuffie at that point. Same for most players, I imagine.

you can do the same quest with tifa in the lead and her version of the line is far less mean

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Dave posted:

You don't even go to Rocket Town in part 2.

it covers the part of the original game where you went there

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So you are saying that this mysterious alien creature who came and tried to eat the planet and was stopped by a plucky sword wielding spikey haired hero may return as some kind of... Time Devourerer?

I mean that would require the plot to involve split timelines and strange plot ghosts

would it also be considered mostly bad and dumb but acknowledged for having good music?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Tseng never died in FF7. It was a mistranslation that was fixed in the original English PC release and has been fixed ever since.

it's still very weird that he gets an obvious death scene halfway through the game and then never shows up again

like, why isn't he dead? he's a minor antagonist that they were clearly not planning to use again whose last appearance is him slumped against the wall in a building that implodes about 15 minutes later. why confirm that he's not dead in one throwaway line of dialogue and then never mention him again?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i guess we're working on ff9 rules now

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Crisis Core was already retitled Reunion.

the third installment will be called reunion anyway

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Caidin posted:

I've always wondered how that worked with the Soldier Project because in theory a mako infusion that drenches you in planetary knowledge would either make you into a big old wizard or give you random levels in various jobs as opposed to basic physical enhancement.

Maybe that's where Cloud learned to dance.

my original understanding of how SOLDIER worked was that Jenova cells are incorporated specifically because jenova eats mako for strength. So a SOLDIER has jenova cells in their body, those cells eat the mako and provide strength, and because Jenova is semi-dormant and SOLDIERs are selected for their strong wills they prevent themselves from being subsumed and turning into Black Cloak guys.

this apparently doesn't hold anymore with the new lore though

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The only thing that really bugs me to all of this is Hojo

He is *comically* evil from wanting dog loving to turning people into mushroom zombies and keeping horrors unspeakable. Every scene with him is the party disgusted at him, or the Shinra heads going 'god gently caress you Hojo you're so creepy"
Why is he even employed??? Dude's literally cackling in the helicopter about the end times and Rufus is just like 'yeah I guess I'll keep bankrolling this crazy person'

there were only 2 people who knew about any of this poo poo and would work with shinra. hojo is one, and he shot the other one. He also never writes anything down. Shinra is decades deep into the sunk cost fallacy at this point and sees no real alternative to keeping him around

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

bobjr posted:

I don’t think they could have a Tifa/Scarlett slap fight and it work well now.

Especially since Tifa has a lot to work through at that point

scarlet is still established as someone who can fight so a solo boss battle on the cannon is still in the cards

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think there's anything sad about the removal of smoking from mass media in general tbqh. There are other ways to get the same point across without also effectively giving free advertising to cancer sticks.

i feel like "smoking is bad" has reached sufficient saturation of the public consciousness that as a character trait it now exists primarily as a way to highlight a character as reckless or inconsiderate which fits with cid's original characterization

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That is literally the opposite of Cid's original characterization where he actively destroyed his own dream to save someone who was telling him to let them die.

that's a very odd read on someone who was just barely considerate enough to not kill someone for performing too many safety inspections and was then extremely bitter towards them for many years until it was revealed that the specific part they were inspecting was about 5 seconds away from exploding

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm saying that if Cid was uncaring and reckless he would have launched the drat ship. Also every character around him seems to treat him with a ton of respect, the Highwind crew basically is like "Cid is awesome, we're all defecting just for him, specifically, because Cid is great." If he was uncaring and reckless he wouldn't be the guy everyone, including the rest of the team, points to and goes "he should lead us."

killing shera in this scenario is not "uncaring" except in the most absolute sense of the word. if you are driving and see someone lying down in the middle of the street, and when you ask them to move they say "no dude, it's fine, just run me over", running them over is an insane thing to do. like, genuinely psychopathic behaviour. the considerate thing to do is to try and help them. the inconsiderate thing to do is to yell at them for making you late, and that is the choice that cid picks and sticks to for like 5 solid years.

cid is established to be a legendary pilot and also, unlike heidegger(who those guys were working for), not psychotically evil. that doesn't make him a nice guy, it makes him a guy with leadership experience, a high level of competence in a necessary skill set, and the basic level of human decency that even assholes are expected to have.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the shera scenario is literally the trolley problem except that one of the tracks has nobody on it but it might damage your trolley and you are very enthusiastic about trolleys

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Cid had two choices, stop the launch or not stop the launch. He couldn't delay the launch, it had already started. He couldn't go down and help her because, again, the rocket ship was already taking off. He made the choice specifically to rescue her at the cost of his dream, which is what he should do but it is still the active choice he made in that moment.

And again, Cid is explicitly a nice guy. Everyone likes Cid. He is not treated as a horrible grump who is just so talented they have to put up with him. They genuinely want to help him because he encourages them. The Pilot on the highwind who levels up over time is being trained by Cid (he mentions it) and thinks Cid is the bees knees. The way he treats Shera is exception, not rule.

Eh, he's pretty gruff in general. He's like a drill sergeant to that guy. And again, the choice in the moment of whether to kill shera or not is not a nice vs. mean choice. Literally anyone with even a shred of humanity in them would make the same choice. It is not a high bar to clear, morally speaking. I'm pretty sure in an even halfway sane world killing her in that scenario would be straight up illegal. This is shinra we're talking about and they're fully run by psychos so no doubt Cid would have been fine but, again, anybody who wasn't totally insane and evil would have done exactly the same thing. This is an "abjectly evil vs. everyone else" choice. The "inconsiderate vs. considerate" angle kicks in once you've cleared the low, low bar of not killing them for being in your way and is determined by how you treat them afterwards, and boy does Cid not do a great job there.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

He's not though. Like, again, that's largely the product of the translation.

Cid in the Japanese version is brash. He's flippant and casual and hot-blooded. He speaks loudly and arrogantly in a way that is genuinely charming and fun. He's gruff to Shera but to everyone else he's like a hotshot pilot type. That's his entire archetype, he's literally a fighter pilot cliche.

so, in other words, reckless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, Cid is extremely hot blooded but he has the skills to pay the bills and tends to know exactly what he's doing. He can screw up in the Coral train thing but that's due to player failure and he seems genuinely shocked and disheartened by it and aside from that he is extremely competent at what he does.

I'm on my phone right now so just imagine that this post is a screenshot of results I got for searching "reckless synonyms" with many of the words you have been using highlighted