Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Final Fantasy VII: Redemption, where Sephiroth actually turns out to be a good guy all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

HD DAD posted:

Final Fantasy VII: Redemption, where Sephiroth actually turns out to be a good guy all along

I already said multiple times that I think it'll be called Redemption

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Given what we learned here I figure the third game will be called Reunion to allude to all three of Jenova, the conjoining of the spheres, and seeing Aerith again in some way. But that’s honestly a complete guess, I don’t know what they’re trying to do outside of what was already in the OG.

Crisis Core was already retitled Reunion.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

FF7: Reunioner Than Before

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

the third installment will be called reunion anyway

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ReCrisis

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cock hero flux posted:

the third installment will be called reunion anyway

Yeah, there’s no way they don’t. gently caress Crisis Core, the OG makes them more money. If they call it something else I’ll be surprised.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It's not a reunion it's a homecoming

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

triple sulk posted:

I already said multiple times that I think it'll be called Redemption

Red XIII Redemption

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

HD DAD posted:

hell yes BRING IT BACK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXp0v93ZRTs

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Shame Cloud washed out of soldier, he's got a list of great talents beyond being a murder machine. Piano, dancing, sign language, dramatic actor, and an incredible method actor.

He potentially could've been more popular than Sephiroth in a Captain America propaganda sort of way.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HD DAD posted:

FF7 Revengeance: I think it's time for Cloud to let 'er rip The rip is his mind. He's going insane.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So what's the deal with Glenn? Is he just another Sephiroth puppet? He's definitely a black robe with mysterious powers, but he seemed to have his own personality, or was that just Sephiroth faking it the whole time to gently caress with Rufus?

It's going to be interesting to see how all this new Wutai stuff plays out in the next game.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

He was faking it. You see the body turn into a regular black robe dude when Rufus shoots him.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The Glenn stuff is hilariously convoluted, because it's both a false flag and a double cross

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fedule posted:

Are we supposed to know or suspect what exactly Cloud did, or was invited to do, while seven seconds from the end?

Nothing, yet. I think people assumed he must have had seven seconds to do something, but that's not what that scene was. It was just Sephiroth showing him a vision of the world seven seconds before its end (according to the chapter description in-game) and then just taunting him about it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

FF7 Revengeance: I think it's time for Cloud to let 'er rip The rip is his mind. He's going insane.

I will not lie, the bit in Gongaga where he just channels Sephiroth so hard he takes his combat style had me wanting a devil trigger where you could use the nibelheim flashback moveset

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why does the Black Materia even summon a meteor anyway?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's a cool and iconic looming dread you can spend a last act racing to try and stop.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Because Meteor is a classic FF spell.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Meteor is the ultimate black magic, especially as of FF7. Opposed by Holy, the ultimate white magic.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Gologle posted:

Meteor has been a major magic for plot points since FF4 at least, with one of the playable characters killing himself simply to cast it. I think it was called Meteo in the US though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It was called Meteo in the US version of FF4 ("FF2" at the time) yeah.

That said I think it's actually Meteo in Japanese even in FF7.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Glenn stuff is hilariously convoluted, because it's both a false flag and a double cross

Between Rufus fake identity and the Glenn/Sephiroth puppet running things in Wutai, I predict that Yuffie is in for a bad time next game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Between Rufus fake identity and the Glenn/Sephiroth puppet running things in Wutai, I predict that Yuffie is in for a bad time next game.

I also suspect Nero held onto Sonon's body for a reason, too.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I also suspect Nero held onto Sonon's body for a reason, too.

Gonna be hosed up if we get to Wutai and Sonon is just there "alive and well" and accuses Yuffie of abandoning the mission.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Gologle posted:

There are no spoony bards to enhance the spell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meteor also ties nicely into the Calamity From the Skies thing Jenova has going.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Caidin posted:

I will not lie, the bit in Gongaga where he just channels Sephiroth so hard he takes his combat style had me wanting a devil trigger where you could use the nibelheim flashback moveset

Cloud was so loving sassy I was cheering lmao

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Nucular Carmul posted:

Cloud was so loving sassy I was cheering lmao

That bullet dodge and little shake of his head

I got a similar buzz when he started using Zack's stance and vice versa

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Oops just realized this is the thread for me! I'm super excited to see what they do with part 3. So much of the world to explore still! And maybe a dlc with Cid and Vincient?

Fun game. Hard mode isn't bad so far but I just got to chapter 7. I assume its gonna start sucking soon

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Harrow posted:

I think my fiancee doesn't mind the padding for the same reason I don't: it's fun to spend more time with the characters. But then again we've also played through multiple Persona games together so we've dealt with much worse pacing before lol

Yeah I loving love the padding. I have played through OG FF7 probably over a dozen times. It was one of my few games growing up. I would read the official strategy guide at school because I just wanted more content. Anything that expands the world and lets me interact with it more is fine by me. Even lovely box smashing minigames.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Same, I had no problem with the dumb little sidequests because you got to spend more time with the gang

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Azubah posted:

Shame Cloud washed out of soldier, he's got a list of great talents beyond being a murder machine. Piano, dancing, sign language, dramatic actor, and an incredible method actor.

He potentially could've been more popular than Sephiroth in a Captain America propaganda sort of way.

I've been assuming that a lot of this comes down to having Jenova-enhanced reflexes. The same reason he can pretend to be a SOLDIER and do crazy sword stunts. So he has perfect control of his body and heightened senses and whatnot, which would help a lot with dancing and piano playing too. Maybe less so acting.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I would think Jenova cells should make you an incredible actor given what we know about Jenova.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I was talking about the PSTD with thinking he's Zack, but you bring up a drat good point with Jenova being The Thing.

Maybe there is a Jenova part that does that, no world domination intentions, it just loves to act and it's very good at it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fedule posted:

I would think Jenova cells should make you an incredible actor given what we know about Jenova.

I'm afraid they just make an incredible actor you.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Keep in mind, and I always have to bring this up that Cloud is not acting like Zack. Not the way people always pin on him. Cloud's fighting style, his movements etc. Are very different from Zack's and never is this more clear than Rebirth itself. Whenever Zack is playable, he's so effortless in everything he does, he's very agile, bouncing around, mixing in punches and kicks. And in cutscenes we see him like... pick up a piece of rubble from the bridge and effortlessly toss it and destroy a chopper. There's a reason in Remake when Cloud tells Reno he's a First Class soldier that Reno immediately calls bullshit. Cloud's strong, and he's gaining strength at an incredible rate, but he is not a First Class Soldier.

Cloud is acting as a triple hybrid of Zack, himself, and Hero Sephiroth. Zack is not a "Merc who'll do anything for cash, hmph, harumph." we know this because again, the entire opening of Rebirth that puts Cloud in Zack's spot, we see just how far Cloud is from Zack attitude-wise. He carries himself with a level of 'professionalism' and that comes from his positive memories of Sephiroth. The Hero, the guy who was always composed and level headed. The rest comes from cloud himself, a lot of his insecurities binding the two to form this bound mess that's keeping him together. The true Cloud's shyness and his sweetheart nature filtered through his anxiety and insecurities.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Onmi posted:

Keep in mind, and I always have to bring this up that Cloud is not acting like Zack. Not the way people always pin on him. Cloud's fighting style, his movements etc. Are very different from Zack's and never is this more clear than Rebirth itself. Whenever Zack is playable, he's so effortless in everything he does, he's very agile, bouncing around, mixing in punches and kicks. And in cutscenes we see him like... pick up a piece of rubble from the bridge and effortlessly toss it and destroy a chopper. There's a reason in Remake when Cloud tells Reno he's a First Class soldier that Reno immediately calls bullshit. Cloud's strong, and he's gaining strength at an incredible rate, but he is not a First Class Soldier.

Cloud is acting as a triple hybrid of Zack, himself, and Hero Sephiroth. Zack is not a "Merc who'll do anything for cash, hmph, harumph." we know this because again, the entire opening of Rebirth that puts Cloud in Zack's spot, we see just how far Cloud is from Zack attitude-wise. He carries himself with a level of 'professionalism' and that comes from his positive memories of Sephiroth. The Hero, the guy who was always composed and level headed. The rest comes from cloud himself, a lot of his insecurities binding the two to form this bound mess that's keeping him together. The true Cloud's shyness and his sweetheart nature filtered through his anxiety and insecurities.

One thing I really liked was that in the first Nibelheim flashback at the start of the game, Cloud is acting like Zack, because that was literally Zack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

One thing I really liked was that in the first Nibelheim flashback at the start of the game, Cloud is acting like Zack, because that was literally Zack

And it's very obviously not how he acts in the present. It was pretty interesting.