Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Caidin posted:

This is sort of a general question as opposed to one centered on Rebirth, but what exactly is the Reunion supposed to do?

It sounds like the black robes will all just meet up to reform Jenova, but that isn't quite what they manage in the OG. They sort of vaguely lay a trail for the party, mass up in north crater in the first go around, get wiped out by Jenova but this doesn't seem to facilitate anything, I think. Do they help make the Safer Sephiroth body? It's treated with a kind of significance in the plot that doesn't really mesh with what it seems to accomplish.

It's not like a grand plan or anything, it's just an instinct that all Jenova cells (and people carrying them) have. Hojo called it the Reunion Theory and was very eager to test it. This doesn't necessarily need to work in Jenova's favor, similar to how the Thing in the movie was revealed by its blood's instinct for self-preservation. Ultimately its purpose both in the plot and in-universe is to lead people to Sephiroth's main body.

Edit: Specifically, Jenova's cells want to reform into a single body after being chopped up. But it's not like it needs them all for anything in particular, that's just how its biology works.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Azubah posted:

Shame Cloud washed out of soldier, he's got a list of great talents beyond being a murder machine. Piano, dancing, sign language, dramatic actor, and an incredible method actor.

He potentially could've been more popular than Sephiroth in a Captain America propaganda sort of way.

I've been assuming that a lot of this comes down to having Jenova-enhanced reflexes. The same reason he can pretend to be a SOLDIER and do crazy sword stunts. So he has perfect control of his body and heightened senses and whatnot, which would help a lot with dancing and piano playing too. Maybe less so acting.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

One thing I really liked was that in the first Nibelheim flashback at the start of the game, Cloud is acting like Zack, because that was literally Zack

And it's very obviously not how he acts in the present. It was pretty interesting.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Harrow posted:

I don't think it's just that Cloud's crazy. Red XIII reacts to Aerith's presence at the end as well--clearly there's something real there, and not just a hallucination. Same for the rift in the sky. I just think that doesn't necessarily means that he created a new timeline where Aerith survived. Aerith's actions after being stabbed just seem so... well, "I'm dead and I know it," for lack of a better description.

Part of this is also based on what Marlene says to Zack: that if Aerith wakes up in their world, she will die, and that if Cloud is still sick, he can't save her. Both of those things happen (or don't happen): Aerith wakes up in the other world, and Cloud is still very, very sick at the end. If it was something like "he saved her but Sephiroth twisted the timeline" or "he saved her but the others outside the Whisper wall can't see that timeline" that wouldn't really line up, assuming we believe Marlene knows what she's talking about.

I feel like the idea that "Aerith must die in every possible universe" is far weirder than whatever weirdness you are feeling from the idea that she was saved in another universe that isn't the one we're in. I read it as "there might be another universe in which she was saved, but Sephiroth forced us into this one where she's dead." Which makes sense with him trying to size control over fate and all timelines.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 16, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

All this talk about Rebirth not changing anything and no one mentions that Tseng is still alive. I'm glad we killed the ghosts in part 1 so Tseng could live.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Specifically the writer wanted to write a protagonist death that wasn't some kind of heroic sacrifice, both to contrast previous Final Fantasy death scenes and to evoke the feeling of hollowness he felt when his mother died.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I expect the next game to continue the 7R strat of having changes and additions not really impact the general direction of the narrative, but a lot of the stuff coming up in Part 3 isn't super iconic (basically just Wutai, return to Midgar, Junon escape & Repairing Cloud's Brain) so I expect they could slot Zack and Aerith doing stuff into like any of the Weapon or Huge Materia things without causing much friction. Biggs too I guess, considering he also escaped death.

Nothing is more iconic than that crane you fight in the Junon submarine port.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Pretty explicitly she knew in the first game that she has to die to connect to the lifestream. And she passed that info on to Marlene, hence Marlene spilling the beans to Zack in ZackSpace. She knew because she learned it from Aerith.

Granted - a lot of this is conjecture or having to read between the lines based on her behavior, but she knew people's names and who they were before they were introduced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7f5BcnUdGY

She knew she was going to die, not that she had to. Those are very different things.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Jenova and Sephiroth are basically not meaningfully different anymore. Jenova is Sephiroth, Sephiroth is Jenova, they're all part of a Thing-y whole.

Yeah, that's my impression. There is no distinction between Jenova and Sephiroth, they just merged.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've seen it before anything dies or at the very start of fights lingering around just floating overhead. I know they sparkle green and despawn/vanish but the big glowy orb is just kinda there

It's the energy gathering for your summon meter.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ardryn posted:

I feel it's worth noting that Gast is the one that presumed Jenova was a Cetra, and it was his research journals that Sephiroth was reading in the basement. In a way, Gast assuming Jenova was an Ancient, and not some biological terror from the stars, is what set everything in motion. To be fair to Gast, it seems like Jenova's body at the time was still mostly human/Cetra-ish like we see during the flashback.

Speaking of which, in the journals it sounded like Gast named it Jenova, but then in the Temple of the Ancients the Cetra already call it Jenova. Maybe I missed something, but that struck me as a little odd.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 1, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There's still hope. Maybe everyone died after Advent Children.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jimbot posted:

They all died then they came back, only slightly different. Barret stopped loving the environment and became an oil baron.

Barret's thing kind of makes sense if you think of mako as a metaphor for nuclear instead of fossil fuels, but that also makes it really dumb.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Disgusting.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I would've enjoyed it a lot even if it didn't have the new mystery. Frankly, I don't even like mystery box stuff like that in stories that AREN'T remakes. I'd much rather have good execution of a predictable story than be baited along by some cheap "mystery." And the new way they're treating Wutai and stuff is already a hook for me. Like the fate ghosts are already here and I'm going to live with them, but the very idea that they needed to add a new mystery for old fans strikes me as a bizarre.

Edit: Like, when I excitedly speculate about the next game with fellow FF7 fans, I never mention the fate stuff at all, instead I wonder how they're going to expand on Rocket Town or how they're going to incorporate Vincent's story into the main plot better. Those are the things I care about far more than "what kind of weird purgatory is Zack in?"

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 5, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

How is defeating Sephiroth a thing that changes? If anything that's what things staying exactly the same looks like.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

"Defeating Sephiroth" meaning "Defeating what the weird time-god Sephiroth is" as opposed to "Defeating the dude in the Northern Crater."

I mean, yeah, but they also added weird time-god Sephiroth, so removing him from play without changing anything else is like adding 1 to both sides of the equation. It's still the same thing. You have changed nothing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She was talking to Nanaki using his teenager voice, and they were trying to hide it so they could have a reveal later. Or rather, they were trying to foreshadow it without making it too blatant. IE: He was always around for those scenes but they never showed his mouth while he was talking, in order to mislead you into thinking she's talking to someone else.

Once his real voice gets revealed in Cosmo Canyon, you're supposed to go "aha! she was talking to Red all along!"

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 7, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ardryn posted:

Well, Cloud does know where he's going, to Sephiroth's body/Jenova for Reunion, he doesn't know why he's going there, but he knows it's north. His tough guy persona and being effectively a mind shattered, meat puppet at the end of Rebirth means he's not going to alert anyone as to what's going on though. Someone else mentioned it, but I also think the ice plains will be a sort of tutorial zone, the cliff and caves will be a more dangerous tutorial with a temperature gimmick, and then the whirlwind maze will be a sort of final test, hope you learned whatever party you're going in with, sort of thing. It'll probably be stretched out to several hours all told with snowboarding and whatnot. And the Tiny Bronco will break down just outside the Icicle Inn to explain why the crew doesn't just keep flying.

I don't think you need the plane to break down, you just need to reasonably point out that there's nowhere to land on the glacier. And then by the time you might need to fly again you've already stolen the Highwind.

Edit: I do think that for pacing reasons it would be odd if the glacier was as large and labyrinthine as it was in the original. It'd basically be the first dungeon. Well, I guess treating it like the Mythril Mines wouldn't be wrong.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 9, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It'll probably start in Icicle Inn the same way the previous game started with Kalm. Although I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing that that implies starting with Aerith's childhood videos.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She's in Dirge of Cerberus so we do know more than that. I haven't played it though. My understanding is that she is, in fact, a freak.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah the funniest thing about yuffie is that her being a trained and seasoned combatant at age 16 is both extremely normal in the setting and also puts her head and shoulders above pretty much all of the rebirth party except cloud and maybe Tifa, depending

Yuffie is never considered normal by anyone.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It makes perfect sense for Vincent to be in Nibelheim, since Nibelheim is explicitly where the original Jenova research was done. Like, they did the research there, which is why Sephiroth was able to learn about it. I suppose you could wonder if Vincent was ever meant to be in the game at all, but as long as his backstory ties into the Sephiroth Project, there's really nowhere else he could've been.

That said, Vincent sleeping through the whole Nibelheim disaster is more hilarious than it is a plothole, imo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arkage posted:

Also if I recall, they didn’t do the big music queue with Seph saying he’s going to go see mother in the basement. Fail.

Yeah, that one bugged me a lot too. It was such a memorable moment in the original.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

What if they're saving the mansion for the Vincent interquel?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just cast Beta, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly, I thought it was fairly obvious that the Sephiroth we encounter is no longer even slightly human.