Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Platypus posted:

microset smells like paas

They own their industry, when was the last time you used a non paas egg dyeing kit?

Their wire egg-dipper is tops in the industry with the thinnest egg-loop to reduce dye lines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

They own their industry, when was the last time you used a non paas egg dyeing kit?

Their wire egg-dipper is tops in the industry with the thinnest egg-loop to reduce dye lines!

try never

paas is the best

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I tried decals yesterday and spilled the microsol bottle all over the place and it doesn't smell great

Edit-typo

I wasn't kidding about those drat bottles. A long, thin, open-topped bottle for a low-viscosity fluid is a bad idea, dammit.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Let’s say I wanted to do a diorama based on the Warhammer DLC for Powerwash Simulator using a pair of Skitarii rangers and a Dreadnought.

1. What’s the best way to do the “water spray” effect?

2. What’s the best way to do an “industrial” base for everything to stand on?

3. What’s the best way to do “extensions” on their water sprayers?

1. You've gotten lots of good advice but also here's a Vallejo guide to modeling moving and still water. It's obviously focused on their products but two-part clear epoxy, self-leveling air-drying clear gel for still surfaces, and splash gels that form peaks and waves are all available from a bunch of companies.

2. The easiest cheat to make industrial floor grating is mesh tape, for repairing mosquito screens. You can just slap that on a base, cut down to the circle, and prime and drybrush. It is tape, so the adhesion isn't going to be incredible on its own, but if you're sandwiching in place with models and elements pinned to the base it will be fine. It's also very easy to cosmetically damage with scissors or a knife, to make holes and tears and have things punching through it.

3. 100% plastic or brass rod or pipe, either set into a drilled hole or held in place with a pin connecting it to the larger part. Modeling stores will have tons of this. If you can find one run by an enthusiast, you could even ask for advice: kitbashing a spray washer isn't even a weird project for military scale modeling, scale model cars, or model trains!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You say that but I knocked over two tamiya thin cement bottles so far.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
For the love of god goons please tidy up your workspaces

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
btw if you ever have a change to buy a ton of tiny plastic I-beam, it's a secret sauce of diorama and terrain kitbashing. it's up there with bass string rebar as a visual shorthand for industrial rubble.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
and much less prone to being a continuing cause of papercuts every time you set up a table for play

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Eej posted:

For the love of god goons please tidy up your workspaces

Shut up you’re not my real dad! :colbert:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
My local GW store is having monthly painting competitions with the model of the month. This month the theme is "corruption." As a lifelong Space Wolves player, I relished the chance to gently caress up a Dark Angel, and I thought Genestealer Cults was a more original direction to take than just Chaos. Here's my WIP so far. I'm planning on using Contrast paints for the head and arm. I'm torn between the classic Genestealer colors (purple skin, dark blue chitin) and my own GSC army colors (orange skin, bright blue chitin).

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
That's cool, he looks like the Space Jockey.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Eej posted:

Microsol is 5 bucks and turns decals into floppy things that will bend around a space marine shoulder perfectly

Yeah, I've recently been going apeshit with decals after getting my first bottle of microsol. It's truly incredible.

You don't need much, either. I've been using Q-tips as an applicator, and it's been a breeze

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Muir posted:

My local GW store is having monthly painting competitions with the model of the month. This month the theme is "corruption." As a lifelong Space Wolves player, I relished the chance to gently caress up a Dark Angel, and I thought Genestealer Cults was a more original direction to take than just Chaos. Here's my WIP so far. I'm planning on using Contrast paints for the head and arm. I'm torn between the classic Genestealer colors (purple skin, dark blue chitin) and my own GSC army colors (orange skin, bright blue chitin).

If you're going with the DA colors for the armor I would use the boxart colors for the Genestealer bits. This guy absolutely needs a DA or Aquila tattoo on his forhead lol

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Can you make a Watcher in the Dark genestealer too? :thunkin:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
There are cute little tiny Genestealers in the Broodcoven that would be about the right size.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

The Abominant does have a weird little guy who hangs out on his base. I guess I’m ordering some Watcher in the Dark bits!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Well, I was having a lot of fun with the model and just kept painting. I think I'm done with it for now but may add a little dude later. Thanks everybody for the input. I did go with the Dark Angels tattoo on the forehead to bring home that this is a former Space Marine and not just a genestealer in some stolen armor. I also went with the classic colors as it made sense to keep that consistent. I love the blood on the hammer but am less sold on the splatter on the armor.

Muir fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 12, 2024

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
That is incredibly sick and tight

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

40k thread x-posting.

Axetrain posted:

Haven't had much time to paint for the last several weeks but I finally got this guy done after owning him for 2 months.

He's a big departure from my normally bright blue Nids but I figured the stealth bug should look a little different.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

this is great

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah that rules great job!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

My first bloodletter! He's not unique but he's mine

e: the lack of definition around the eyes bugs me, I'm not sure what kind of wash I can stick in there without killing the magma colour, maybe a dark brown?

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 13, 2024

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Eej posted:

My first bloodletter! He's not unique but he's mine

e: the lack of definition around the eyes bugs me, I'm not sure what kind of wash I can stick in there without killing the magma colour, maybe a dark brown?
I think the sculpt is honestly the problem as they're mostly recessed sockets with the tiniest little point that's the actual eye. Short of making it a highly contrasting colour like blue/green which I think would look weird I think about the best you can hope for it potentially just highlighting the eye points in white and leaving it at that.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Muir posted:

Well, I was having a lot of fun with the model and just kept painting. I think I'm done with it for now but may add a little dude later. Thanks everybody for the input. I did go with the Dark Angels tattoo on the forehead to bring home that this is a former Space Marine and not just a genestealer in some stolen armor. I also went with the classic colors as it made sense to keep that consistent. I love the blood on the hammer but am less sold on the splatter on the armor.

Yes!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
It took me less than a month to take pictures of my Adpeticon Resin Beast and The Worthy entries!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slapped some paint on the Legally Distinct Jo, Bill, Dusty, and Haynes minis from Black Site to try and run their tornado chasing game tonight or tomorrow.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cthulu Carl posted:

Slapped some paint on the Legally Distinct Jo, Bill, Dusty, and Haynes minis from Black Site to try and run their tornado chasing game tonight or tomorrow.

Tornado chasing game? If the tornado catches you, do you have to throw your minis across the room at full force?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Tornado chasing game? If the tornado catches you, do you have to throw your minis across the room at full force?

https://blacksitestudio.com/products/the-chase-zine-preorder

There are rules for being in the Suck Zone, yes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cthulu Carl posted:

What paint did you use on the second model's pants? It looks pretty spot on for blue jeans

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

What paint did you use on the second model's pants? It looks pretty spot on for blue jeans

Vallejo Model Air USAF Light Blue ( 71.111) then washed with Drakenhof Nightshade

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I finished my Sailor Moonspire underworlds set! I think they came out very good especially together

Ominous Jazz posted:

It all came together. I was getting sweaty about my paint job on sailor moon but I'm very happy with how it came out . My first oath fulfilled!!

Glamor shots of Sailor Moon Spire and Sailor Mercury

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I ain’t buying that just to find out if you need to throw your miniatures, spoil me on it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The rules don't say you have to throw your minis if they get caught in the Suck Zone.

If they get caught and fail their save you roll 2 d10s - one indicates what sector of the tornado they are ejected from, the second is how many inches from the tornado they're flung and how much damage.

I wouldn't throw them across the room anyway - much more thematically appropriate to throw them at a piece of terrain on the board. Also to smash your terrain when it gets destroyed by the tornado and throw the debris at the minis.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Vallejo Model Air USAF Light Blue ( 71.111) then washed with Drakenhof Nightshade

i am putting this poo poo in the OP

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

:toot:

The past week I've done more painting and less bitching about painting, and I've accomplished a fair bit, maybe a third of the total models in this photo, compared to the other two-thirds taking me months. All the differences in color are because of different priming techniques, I've been using Imperial Fist contrast paint for all the actual painting but I've used a bunch of different primers. Infantry are still the most annoying part, and I have a suspicion I need a lot of infantry to make a valid army, but I'm making progress.

I need to make an army list so I can know what else I need to actually paint.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

First proper skellie of the competition squad completed. He'll be fist bumping his buddy in the background. Probably need to work the rust a bit more, feels pretty rough in places, but overall happy with the result.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hell yeah colour saturation in the green is ace, and complements the oxide rust beautifully

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
There are some true badasses in here, super inspiring! I'm a newbie with no artistic skill but here is something I dont hate that I was painting this week :D

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I painted up the three other banshee in the set to match and I'm pretty happy with my pepto undead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
you dont realize just how sharp an airbrush needle is until you drop it and reflexively try and catch it and bury a quarter of it lengthwise into your hand lol