Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh poo poo. Did I just paint Mike Tyson?!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Finished another dude for my raven guard infiltrator squad, except this time it's a Raptors' Deathwatch member on secondment or attached to the squad. Or something lore-adjacent. I just really wanted to use the DW shoulder pad, and since it's on the left shoulder he'd be an active deathwatch member, and as such :words:

Anyway,

e: I finally put in an order for microsol/set and I'm not touching a decal again until those arrive. Getting it to say Raptor on the shoulderpad was also a nightmare- a lot of adepta sororitas unit names from their decal sheet were injured in the making of this mini

I love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SiKboy posted:

If you were hoping for a dust pile, sure, that wouldnt work, but if you want someone to have dusty boots and trousers from walking over their dusty base... Yeah, that shits on there good enough. It'll come off if you run a dry paintbrush over it, or prod it with your greasy finger, but level with me, how often are you doing either of those things to the boots of your painted figures?

Edit to add: I'm not fundamentally against fixing pigment powders, I just havent found a method that retains the "dusty" look rather than giving at best a "dried caked on mud" look, which is great if thats what you're going for, but not so good if its a desert theme. So I dont fix them, and I'm happy with the result.

I agree with this post but I should also say I really only paint for display. I can count the amount of Kill-Team and 40K I've played in recent memory on one hand so it's not like I ever worry about pigment loss because of my greasy fingers.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

His power fist is discombobulatingly devastating.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lumpy posted:

I'm going to claim that I helped with that mini.

You did because after you said that I went and added it! :hfive:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can you get a pic with an angle showing off the tattoo? That's so sick

Super Waffle posted:

Can you share how you got that skin? I tried to get something similar for my chaos lord but he just ended up looking Latino at best :v:

It's a butchered version of the way Louise Sugden shows how to do it on WH+ Masterclass but basically it:

30% Doombull Brown 70% Bloodreaver Flesh basecoat
Progressively more Doombull added to the base to the recesses and shadowed areas
Thinned Rhinox Hide to shadowed areas
Glazes of Word Bearers Red to add spot warmth (like to cheeks, lips/mouth, nose)
Rhinox and Abaddon Black 1:1 around eyes and for the pupils -- Pallid Wych for the scleras and teef
Basecoat to raised areas for highlighting
10% XV-88 + 90% Basecoat to smaller raised areas
30% Karak Stone + 70% Basecoast for more highlight
Then pure Karak for spots

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Microsol works wonders for precut waterslide transfers like the kind from GW or Mighty Brush.

On the other hand, I've got some that need to be cut out from Scumb4g and it doesn't matter how much Microsol I slather on them they'll never melt enough to make the edges disappear.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Have you tried Tamiya Mark Fit Strong? It's extremely hot, and it'll melt just about any decal you throw at it.

That sounds like what I need! I'll pick up a bottle and give it a try.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

B O N E Z O N E

Quick tester model for a skellie squad I want to enter into a competition in September. Happy with the colours, think I can achieve a level of execution that's comp-worthy.

:swoon:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I finished a thing:

And a 360:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yeah I was watching a Vince V video the other day and he goes "blonde hair doesn't have much yellow in it" and it was such a game changer having that pointed out.

He doesn't have any hair, how the gently caress would he know?

Seriously though, good tip.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I painted some terminators

Blast from the past.

Him and his small adult son.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Wow, those look unreal. How do you even get paint to be so smooth.

Also like 90% of the metals are NMM. I guess I should add that skill all the way down on my list of things to learn...

Ya OSL and NMM look to be the things you need to absolutely fuckin nail no questions asked when it comes to going for a Golden Demon these days.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Muir posted:

I've switched to Pro Acryl and don't miss them.

What Pro Acryl metallics do you suggest?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

some 6mm depo buildings from iliada games studio.

Do you use your pym particles to strictly paint in the quantum realm or do you ever sometimes decide to reverse it and go ham on a mountain range from time to time?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When I started Deathwatch I was stoked to make a Deathwing Terminator at some point and it only took me 3 years to get around to it:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

WTFFFFFF those are all so gorgeous :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, looks like trash.

I say that in the best way possible.