Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

We all laughed at the kid with the Golden State Warriors starter jacket back in suburban Chicago in the 90s. I bet that jacket would be worth a shitload today.

Why the hell would you do that, the RunTMC era Warriors were awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In modern times the much likelier target for a gambling interest looking to influence a game would be umpires, being paid far less than the players and exerting more influence over outcomes than any one player.

And in fact, this has provably happened in the recent past, in the NBA. (Sweet $DEITY does the NBA have a well oiled PR machine--a referee being nailed for fixing games was barely a speedbump for them) It's almost certainly happened more often than that. (And for whatever reason it happens regularly in like third-tier Italian soccer leagues where the average game attendance is about 300, how much gambling money can possibly be moving there??)

The next likeliest target is young players on rookie contracts. A hundred years ago the players who threw games were players who were dramatically underpaid, knew it, and resented it. Like everyone who worked for Charlie Comiskey, though it was a lot more widespread a problem than that. Same thing now. There have been some football players suspended for, well, you can't prove they actually threw any games, but they placed some bets.

Which brings us to a tangential but more relevant problem in 2024--for your average random pre-arb making the league minimum, there's the potential to make a significant portion of your annual salary over again just by placing microbets on "which pitch will he throw right now?/will the first pitch be a strike?" and poo poo through intermediaries. Which scandal MLB is making certain will inevitably transpire sooner or later, lapping up money from gambling interests as eagerly as they are.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ace Jameson posted:

some reporter just asked him if he liked SF and considered signing there, and they basically told him that was a dumb question and he wasn’t going to answer it

What's Japanese for "that's a clown question bro"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

I was gifted The Baseball 100 which I've been enjoying very much, something of a history lesson of MLB told through 100 of the greatest players of all time. I don't agree with all of the rankings necessarily but the prose is consistently interesting and - very importantly - the author correctly believes that Ichiro is the true hits king and not Rose.

Same author wrote The Machine which is practically a paean to Pete Rose (good book anyway though), so that's saying something.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

more falafel please posted:

I wore a cubs hat to a dodger game and the security guard gave me a little guff about it, but qualified it with "oh this is nothing like we do to Giants fans"

Yeah they beat Giants fans to death in the parking lot

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's nice to have at least one insufferable rear end in a top hat on the players' side

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

What with the rampant collusion going on, yeah

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

So the Boras strategy was to wait until every pitcher got injured to have his guys sign?

good strategy

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

elentar posted:

Spencer Strider has a curveball now.

Sorry can't hear you over the sonic boom sound of Castellanos launching it into outer space

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It would be nice if all parties involved would just agree to drop the charade and Rendon can go home and just get paid to not play baseball, without my having to hear every 2 weeks how much his groin hurts. I don't really need that in my life anymore. I'm good.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A team with a shitload of young talent almost certainly has something better to do with a 1B/DH slot than play Votto there. Votto may eventually accept any paycheck he can get, but right now he wants promised an everyday job by a team with at least some faint hope of reaching the playoffs. But he's washed up and can only play 1B/DH so, understandably, no team above the A's/Pirates level is interested in that.

Seriously, I love Votto like everyone does but he is finished. He can't get around on major league heat anymore unless he completely sells out on it and starts his swing before the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. He'll either end up taking a paycheck from one of the no-hopers or retiring.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 6, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Velo being way down is usually a shoulder injury, which pitchers almost never recover from. Elbow injuries can carry a slight loss of velo simply due to the pain but loss of movement/command is a commoner symptom.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Intruder posted:

Stanek can be either the best bullpen arm in baseball or a trash fire with very little in between

So, a reliever?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lol breaking pitches damage elbow ligaments??? What revolutionary new fact will this renowned doctor/genius discover next? Playing catcher hurts your knees? Getting hit on the wrist by 97MPH fastballs hurts wrists?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I guess that does it, it's all gonna end with Mookie getting drunk, getting thrown off a train and drowning in a river

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Popete posted:

Those Bananas tickets are secondary market? On their website they say tickets start at 35$ the problem being it's a lottery to be able to buy tickets directly from them as there is a huge amount of people signed up.

Probably not so much a huge amount of people as a smaller amount of people operating a huge number of bots

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bawfuls posted:

The Bananas seem like a fun vibe but tickets STARTING at $200+ feels at odds with their whole aesthetic to me somehow

I thought this was about making baseball fun and accessible in contrast to the majors but I guess they’re doing well

Edit: oh secondary market shenanigans, lovely

I love the endearingly naive people who advocate for pro athlete wages to be capped at like 40 bucks an hour, and just make tickets super cheap! Like even if aliens bodysnatched all the billionaires and made them willing to do that, the ticket prices you and I pay wouldn't change in this capitalist paradise. The people running the secondary-market bots would just become the billionaires instead of the team owners.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Exodor posted:

Poor guy just always looked over matched in MLB. He was great in AAA, got shelled in MLB and was just never the same.

Yeah, probably because his elbow was injured.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Was Schwarber the first player in history to bat leadoff 100+ games with a batting average that starts with a 1?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

live with fruit posted:

You throw out Schwarber's BA like his OBP isn't still good.

Wasn't judging his effectiveness, just remarking on how times have changed

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Blake Snell would literally be a Yankee today if there wasn't a salary cap in baseball.

There isn't

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

At least the Pirates can probably get out of paying him now.

e: actually it might be worst case scenario for Pirate Bob, no way in hell will anyone trade for him so there goes the whole point to signing him and they're stuck paying him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nodoze posted:

I kinda feel like it's bad if they are taking this long to announce anything, like they are getting 3rd and 4th opinions hoping someone will tell them no it's fine

They know by now that Cole is going in for TJ. They just don't want to publicly admit it before they've acquired a replacement because as soon as it becomes public knowledge both the White Sox and Boras' asking prices will go way up. They're trying to tell their negotiating adversaries "No no Gerrit is fine, we just want to bolster our rotation"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

will_colorado posted:

Aroldis touching the upper 90s again.

:drat:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This verbatim quote is invariably given by the team about every single pitcher who then gets TJ

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's definitely not a tear in his UCL, there's just maybe possibly a, um, [Latin words]

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

On a yacht somewhere, Scott Boras fistpumps

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The last chapter in this book is the Yankees signing Jordan Montgomery for $40 million more than they would have paid if they'd signed him last month, and I'm here for it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees should probably just go into the season with what they have, see how their kids do and if they are in it at the deadline and are clearly a pitcher short, try to address it then.

Snell will still be available

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It has not.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

However, robots are not unionized and umpires are.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Intruder posted:

I don't agree with bawfuls on the "let's create a championship specifically for the Dodgers" regular season schedule thing ;) but I do agree with the fact that if you're capable of using roboumps to get the call right every time it makes absolutely zero sense to use it for challenges only and still let Angel Hernandez blow a bunch of calls otherwise

And when you overturn Angel's horrible call he will spitefully make even more horrible calls against you than usual.

And Angel is only the most extreme example, that is what every ump will do. Challenging their call is committing the mortal sin in umpires' eyes: Showing Me Up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

The batter keeps their challenge if they're right so it'd only be a matter of time before a player challenged four consecutive strike calls for a walk.

Does the robo-ump actually make the call, or is it a VAR thing? Because if it's the latter, let me tell you it isn't going to matter if the ball was 6 inches outside, by the third challenge the strike call is gonna be upheld.

Probably by the second one.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Marmol benched him for jogging into an out on the basepaths last April and called him out in the press. O'Neill fired back via the press. Cards fans got real excited for a few days. Everyone forgot about it by mid-May. O'Neill continued being bad and/or injured. The Cards dumped him to Boston after the season and re-signed Marmol.

I'm pretty sure if you look up "dudebro" in the dictionary there's a picture of Tyler O'Neill. You'd think he'd fit right into a major league clubhouse

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean I guess Snell might take a 5 year contract at this point.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Preordering my Urias Pirates jersey now

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I assume McGwire wearing a Cubs uniform at Cubs camp is not merely because his son was a mid round pick for them, and he's a roving instructor or whatever?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Collusion is a hell of a drug.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

zoux posted:

Well if I were an owner being threatened with cock and ball torture for spending too much on players, I'd think of it as a cap as well

You... you think owners are threatening their high spending brethren with making them wear the official uniform pants of Major League Baseball??

I mean, I know they're billionaires and capable of great monstrosity, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Forrest on Fire posted:

What's the "real" value of Blake Snell? He's an average pitcher most years and has peak years where he's a Cy Young winner. The market for any competent arm seems really high. Would Snell sign for 4 years? I know length of contract has been a sticking point for him.

As a Boras client what Boras is presumably trying to get on Snell's behalf is to have his cake and eat it too: a gigantic 10+ year contract that also has several different opt-outs, so it can be short-term if he's healthy and he can still get megapaid if his arm falls off.

The contract Bellinger ended up taking is risky but not terrible for a position player, but it's pretty terrible for a pitcher since their arms implode with such frequency.