Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1767223517559259527
Doesn't sound great!

Intruder posted:

Counterpoint: eventually he'll be willing to play for cheap enough someone will pull the trigger
I mean, I'm already operating under the assumption that he's willing to take the league minimum to get his foot back in the door. I guess he could be asking for more - he's certainly delusional enough to do so - but considering how desperate he's been to get back in MLB I can't imagine that he'd have turned down a league minimum deal if it one were already offered to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Bauer's been out there long enough and is a toxic enough guy absent the culture war stuff (or things that are perceived as culture war I guess) that I'd be surprised if he signs anywhere.

It isn't like he was an ace in MLB last season anymore either. If he signs in '24 he's 6 seasons removed from putting up front line starter numbers. There's a ton of risk that he's not that guy anymore and if you're signing that clowncar poo poo to be a back of the rotation guy, what are you doing?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1767223517559259527
Doesn't sound great!

I mean, I'm already operating under the assumption that he's willing to take the league minimum to get his foot back in the door. I guess he could be asking for more - he's certainly delusional enough to do so - but considering how desperate he's been to get back in MLB I can't imagine that he'd have turned down a league minimum deal if it one were already offered to him.

I forgot how little he played for in Japan so yeah you're probably right

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You have to go off his recent numbers too and they uh weren't good.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Bauer's been out there long enough and is a toxic enough guy absent the culture war stuff (or things that are perceived as culture war I guess) that I'd be surprised if he signs anywhere.

It isn't like he was an ace in MLB last season anymore either. If he signs in '24 he's 6 seasons removed from putting up front line starter numbers. There's a ton of risk that he's not that guy anymore and if you're signing that clowncar poo poo to be a back of the rotation guy, what are you doing?

6 isn't right, he's 3 seasons removed from winning the CY and put up very good numbers for the Dodgers for half a season

I just know I want him to stay out of the league so if no team wants to touch him then great!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Bauer is toxic as gently caress in a way other abusers or whatever aren't. Anyone half way intelligent knows its not just dealing with his past, its dealing with what he says and does in the future because he's too arrogant to shut the gently caress up. Then when you consider he's probably past his prime and he was widely regarded to have been basing a lot of his success on sticky stuff. There will always be assholes who want the rear end in a top hat but baseball teams are companies and some lawyer or scout or someone will stop it I think.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

6 isn't right, he's 3 seasons removed from winning the CY and put up very good numbers for the Dodgers for half a season

I just know I want him to stay out of the league so if no team wants to touch him then great!

I ignore 2020 and his '21 season was good but only pitching half a season matters, and 'good' is not worth the headache of dealing with him -- even if you can get him to shut up and stay of media spats (you can't).

I'd be shocked if he's back in MLB again.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It sucks to think that Bauer could be the exact shithead he is but with the ability to not tweet about it all the time and he'd probably be on a team. So keep tweeting, Trev

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Yankees might panic and pay Snell though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Bauer is toxic as gently caress in a way other abusers or whatever aren't. Anyone half way intelligent knows its not just dealing with his past, its dealing with what he says and does in the future because he's too arrogant to shut the gently caress up. Then when you consider he's probably past his prime and he was widely regarded to have been basing a lot of his success on sticky stuff. There will always be assholes who want the rear end in a top hat but baseball teams are companies and some lawyer or scout or someone will stop it I think.

The sticky stuff is a good point. Hell, there were even all those articles written about how by signing Bauer you're also getting exclusive use of his Secret Formula or whatever

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

It sucks to think that Bauer could be the exact shithead he is but with the ability to not tweet about it all the time and he'd probably be on a team. So keep tweeting, Trev

Yeah we've seen plenty of times over that being a proven abuser isn't disqualifying of teams being interested in you so long as you still play baseball well. But you gotta play the PR game and say you're sorry then put your head down so the team can minimize, and Bauer's ego just absolutely would never allow for that. Teams know he's gonna run his mouth any time and every time a mic gets shoved in front of it and nobody is interested in running constant interference for that. Whatever team signed him would have to deal with every manager and GM presser turning into a bunch of questions about [insert dumb poo poo] Bauer spouted off this time.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Plenty of guys have just vanished in recent years, presumably because their performance didn't justify the controversy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Still wondering what the hell is gonna happen with Urias. First guy to get hit twice for domestic violence with the second incident being particularly bad and visible in the public eye. Arguably would have been a Top 3 free agent pitcher this year but I haven't seen his name pop up at all and I don't even know if MLB has formally levied a suspension or not. Dude may just be history in the league which would be a shocking and sudden fall from grace for an ace SP who was set to hit FA at age 27.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Yankees might panic and pay Snell though.

Now that...that would be a disaster.

Please do it.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Sydin posted:

Still wondering what the hell is gonna happen with Urias. First guy to get hit twice for domestic violence with the second incident being particularly bad and visible in the public eye. Arguably would have been a Top 3 free agent pitcher this year but I haven't seen his name pop up at all and I don't even know if MLB has formally levied a suspension or not. Dude may just be history in the league which would be a shocking and sudden fall from grace for an ace SP who was set to hit FA at age 27.

I think it's about contrition and keeping your head down and not being a problem.

Urias might not be able to do that, or his situation might make that impossible. But we've seen shitheads come back to baseball over the years after time away, as long as they can perform and present that sort of image the public expects for a person looking for redemption.

Bauer, as an instructive example, cannot do that. Even aside from the vague 'you don't want him in a major league clubhouse/he can't fit in a major league clubhouse' stuff that's been roiling around for months once a return to MLB seemed possible for him, if you cannot play the media game you can't be in MLB.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the math on shitheads has also kind of changed as we've moved more and more into the social media era. Like Aroldis Chapman was almost a decade ago when he committed his crimes. Which isn't a long time ago but kind of is a lifetime in terms of that tech. And while I don't think teams necessarily will pass on every rear end in a top hat for bad press, I think now its much harder to control that press making it a tougher decision to stick with the rear end in a top hat.

Especially with someone like Bauer who like you can't trust not to lash out on social media from any backlash he gets. In fact you can probably count on it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 11, 2024

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Popete posted:

The great thing about spring training is you can completely write it off as meaningless when your team looks bad and simultaneously declare that Matt Shaw is going to win the MVP this year

It will be hard to Matt Shaw to win NL MVP this year when it should clearly go to Owen Caissie

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Poor guy just always looked over matched in MLB. He was great in AAA, got shelled in MLB and was just never the same.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

The great thing about spring training is you can completely write it off as meaningless when your team looks bad and simultaneously declare that Matt Shaw is going to win the MVP this year

Matt Shaw isn't even on the 40-man, but yes he is a LOCK for MVP this season. :hai:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just me, or does he look exactly like the "worst person you know made a good point" guy but with hair

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He looks like Lance Berkman

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'd rather "panic sign" Monty than Snell TBH

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Just me, or does he look exactly like the "worst person you know made a good point" guy but with hair

he looks like someone that would fit the meme but he doesn't look anything like the guy in the picture

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bregor posted:

It will be hard to Matt Shaw to win NL MVP this year when it should clearly go to Owen Caissie

Also not on the 40-man, but also a LOCK for MVP this season. :hai:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I’d be happier about our #2 pipeline ranking if our most exciting prospects weren’t position-locked. Cmon Cade.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

I’d be happier about our #2 pipeline ranking if our most exciting prospects weren’t position-locked. Cmon Cade.

Shaw's gonna get 3B when he comes up, Morel looks abysmal there and is almost certainly destined to live at DH. We do have way too many goddamn OF's though, lol. No way all of PCA, Cassie, Canario, Alcantara, and Davis are all still Cubs by the end of the year unless there's just a comical cavalcade of injuries. Some of these guys are getting moved, probably for pitching.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Poque posted:

I think the only positions that are 100% locked are Mansby and Nico. They can move a lot of the other pieces around and none of their top prospects are plus-plus defensive shortstops anyway so it's not like they're blocking anybody. I saw one spring game Seiya was in LF, which threw me a bit, but I would imagine they might want Caissie or Alcantara in RF if things go well in Iowa / poorly in Chicago.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Exodor posted:

Poor guy just always looked over matched in MLB. He was great in AAA, got shelled in MLB and was just never the same.

Yeah, probably because his elbow was injured.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Snell is a slow starter and has basically missed all of Spring Training so he'd be best on a team that can get by for the first couple of months while he works it out, which probably isn't the Yankees with Cole out and Rodon still bad.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

No way all of PCA, Cassie, Canario, Alcantara, and Davis are all still Cubs

Of those five, I've been the most impressed by Caissie so far.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Of those five, I've been the most impressed by Caissie so far.

He has the loudest tool (power) I think, which is also the most exciting tool in general. PCA’s defense is probably the highest on the scale but it won’t matter if he can’t hit enough to stay in the lineup.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If I were to take a guess I'd say it's PCA > Caissie > Alcantara > Canario > Davis from most to least untouchable, although Caissie's been making quite the case since last year to be flipped with PCA. Alcantara is meanwhile still a lot of toolsy hype, Davis can't stay healthy, and Canario probably just gets squeezed out past a certain point unless there's a big OF injury or he proves he's a better 4th OF option than Tauchman.

PCA's got baseline value solely with his glove and legs, but he's had a miserable spring and I think he's gonna have to prove for longer he can hit in AAA before he gets another look. Caissie struck out way too much in AA last year but did it while putting up eye-boggling batted ball metrics, followed by doing nothing but hitting the poo poo out of the ball this spring. Feels like he could get fast-tracked up, especially since they've apparently been tinkering with having him at 1B as well.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Honestly if PCA can just figure out how to bunt, that'll be good enough to fix his bat.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
God dammit. The Phillies are really going to keep Schwarber in the leadoff spot this season and watch him hit .186 for the first two months.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

God dammit. The Phillies are really going to keep Schwarber in the leadoff spot this season and watch him hit .186 for the first two months.

Yeah but he'll hit 20 bombs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Was Schwarber the first player in history to bat leadoff 100+ games with a batting average that starts with a 1?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

If I were to take a guess I'd say it's PCA > Caissie > Alcantara > Canario > Davis from most to least untouchable, although Caissie's been making quite the case since last year to be flipped with PCA. Alcantara is meanwhile still a lot of toolsy hype, Davis can't stay healthy, and Canario probably just gets squeezed out past a certain point unless there's a big OF injury or he proves he's a better 4th OF option than Tauchman.

PCA's got baseline value solely with his glove and legs, but he's had a miserable spring and I think he's gonna have to prove for longer he can hit in AAA before he gets another look. Caissie struck out way too much in AA last year but did it while putting up eye-boggling batted ball metrics, followed by doing nothing but hitting the poo poo out of the ball this spring. Feels like he could get fast-tracked up, especially since they've apparently been tinkering with having him at 1B as well.
Davis seems like he’s never going to stay healthy long enough to do anything so I could see him as a trade or DFA candidate down the road

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
You throw out Schwarber's BA like his OBP isn't still good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

live with fruit posted:

You throw out Schwarber's BA like his OBP isn't still good.

It's pretty decent, but it does seem like a waste of his true value (the power) to bat him leadoff.

They should hit him second, really, he doesn't hit a ton of grounders, so it's not like he's just gonna be hitting into DPs every time.

live with fruit posted:

Snell is a slow starter and has basically missed all of Spring Training so he'd be best on a team that can get by for the first couple of months while he works it out, which probably isn't the Yankees with Cole out and Rodon still bad.

Dodgers, got it.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Cole nooooo
Judge noooooo

Even if Cole is out with TJS his hatred of Bauer will keep Gen Z Schilling But With Sex Crimes off the Yankees forever, so he'll still contribute this season.