Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

High Warlord Zog posted:

I feel like the prostitution subplot will be one of the big point of divergence. There's the kernel of something interesting to it, but in the book it doesn't really amount to much more than a steady stream of silly sex euphemisms and fetishistic descriptions of pretty petite Japanese ladies. I also wonder if they'll kill Mariko near the end or if that will be changed too.

they have to do the spoiler thing, it's a crucial plot and character point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
the leper lord for example also has another sort of thing going on

Japanese culture says you're unclean and it's probably a spiritual problem, some sufficiently motivated Catholic priest says no actually you can repent and it'll all be cool when you die

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

lolwut at not-Tokugawa going "race you to the shore?" and diving in with a full set of heavy cotton undergarments

mfer's gonna straight up drown start of next ep

surprising yet fitting ending to the show

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It also does a good job of portraying, in a show that so far doesn't have fantastical murder-heroes, that Buntaro is a fairly superlative warrior. He just shears through the opposition until they can start bringing their numbers to bear.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Yup. They even had a baby-sized urn ready to go.

The only reason Fuji didn't have to as well was because her grandpa is a mensch and pleaded with Toranaga using the "She's the only member of my family that's not a fuckup" argument.

babies are generally pretty incompetent

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It's one of the three novels I have ever read twice. (The other two being The Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye; make of that what you will.)

well i guess you have 33% acceptable taste

i loving despise holden caulfield

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fujiko: I'm happy to hand Anjin's guns over to your third in command, once I'm out of ammo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Does Shogun take place before or after the Mongolian invasions?

Mongol invasions: midgame crusader kings
Shogun: midgame Europa universalis

*taps head*

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'm really pleased with how this episode centered the female characters (in a way the book didn't because James Clavell, while well-meaning, was a 70s-80s white guy rip). I mean, we've had Fuji acting her eyeballs out since her first appearance in the Baby Incident, but this was basically an episode focused on the women.

also 1) totally facile observation but "Ladies of the Willow World" also applies a bit to Mariko and Ochiba, they're women of good birth and good education sold to men in more or less the same way and 2) they were traumatized in more or less the same way, but Mariko sank into icy depression and service to Toranaga and Ochiba became a power hungry rear end in a top hat

in the book Ishido gets more of the spotlight, here she's got her arm up his butt using him as a hand puppet, lol

spectacular episode, sad we only have four more left but at this rate it's going to be a tightly plotted perfect miniseries and that's not a bad thing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

also iirc the book describes ishido as short and ugly whereas this guy is reasonably attractive and doesn't have obvious establishing shots of him being short, but because the casting in this show is amazing he makes up for it by seething in rage that people above him (except ochiba and the heir) have the temerity to exist and people below him have the temerity to not grovel

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I'd also argue that the whole thing with "the antagonists are ugly goblins while the protagonists are handsome chads" is kind of an outdated convention that would have felt pretty out of place here.

Yeah that's a pretty good point, it's just another 1970s Writer Thing lol.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I was refreshing myself with passages from the book, and at least in one scene in the second half, Ishido is described as "tall, lean and autocratic".

Really? Huh. Egg on my face then, swear to God my memory thought it was very clear on this

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

XYZAB posted:

:hai:

I humbly ask the thread’s permission to end my life honourably for this substantial and inexcusable miscalculation.

you must live and post. Ask again next episode

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

wouldn’t he have used a boarding pike or something, for melee if anything?

Comparing his "eh gently caress it" basically competent polearm handling (har har har) in the ambush to him looking like a dumbass with the sword might suggest that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dikkfor posted:

Someone should probably confiscate all these swords or something.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nybble posted:

If they nail the finale, Shogun might be my favorite season of TV ever. Andor before it, but Shogun has done so much with just 10 episodes.

Yabu would have exactly the same vibe if he were an ISB officer

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

someone please give me a jacket based on yabu's crow feather armor.

Saeki Toranagabrother is the one character in the show I've noticed wearing something similar but his feathers are white. In this essay I will

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hirsute posted:

On a lighter note - the costumes are indeed amazing but I've found myself mostly wondering what it feels like (on a tactile, cloth-on-skin sense) to wear top-quality silk like that. Must feel pretty awesome!

book has some whole bits in how the silk trade is vital to the comfort of everyone in Japan with any money at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

blue squares posted:

Why the hell was this episode called "Crimson Sky"? What a bait and switch.

because it's Toranaga's actual assault on Ishido-occupied Osaka :gritty: