Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This isn't the new GoT, it's the new Spartacus. A far better show.

It's got a fraction of the tits and gore and many times the production values but it has the power struggles, the characters trying to get out of the place society has put them in, the complexity of these characters already established two episodes in, the use of language for worldbuilding, it's everything that made that show so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Aurubin posted:

Why were Japanese sailing ships such dogshit? Just seems odd for an island nation to have such a bad navy.

From some stuff I read on the Korean invasion their trees are not the right kind to make large ships.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Aurubin posted:

While in line for the "what a twist!" thing, I just think a Toranaga false flag has too much potential for failure. But who knows, maybe they'll sell it well if it's that.

Who knows? Maybe it was just those drat bandits who have been ravaging the roads outside Osaka for a long time.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Toranaga's ability to turn his loyal subjects dying into power moves is truly impressive.

My gardener died? Frame him as a spy to protect the real spy.
My son died? Declare period of mourning to buy time
My most loyal lord died? Proves I am powerless and broken to my enemies
My most loyal lord's daughter in law died? Weakens Ishido's prestige as he allowed a guest under his care to be killed

Historically the Battle of Sekigahara has a large portion of the enemy army defect mid-battle which could be what he is playing for by being the exemplary honorable lord compared to a peasant killing guests

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Negostrike posted:

We can only have a little a Sekigahara as a treat. :saddowns:

That battle was decided in advance by the politics, Tokugawa is probably the only commander in history to end a big battle with a larger army than he started with.