Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I read Shogun three times and mother gently caress I loved these episodes so much. Richly textured and imminently rewatchable.

Also to whoever said they haven't seen Guyliner in years do yourself a favor and watch The Morning Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I enjoyed the Asian Cycle and I hope this is enough of a success for FX to stick to their original plan of this being an anthology series that covers the other books in sequence.
[/spoiler]

If they're going to do the Asian Saga then I'm already mentally casting Tai-Pan. Who can stroke their long, gross hairs coming out of a mole for luck the best?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean any reader of Shogun who watched The Last Samurai immediately began complaining to their friend next to them that it was ripping off Shogun.

Well at least people I know

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I remember loving it but I was younger when I watched it (90s but still) if there was a lot of cultural inappropriateness it went right over my head.

The scene with the arrows after sake still sticks with me. That's gonna be a fun scene in this new one.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've soured on American movies glorifying the military so that resonates with me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Probably the attack at the end of the second episode is a good indication, and it was executed pretty well. I've never seen the 80s version but I read a review that said the equivalent scene in that had a stereotypical ninja, and honestly from the book I remember most such attacks basically involving stereotypical ninjas

Yeah but in 1980 ninjas weren't stereotypical. Like, ninja lore exploded later. I remember watching Pray for Death and being floored

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Entropic posted:

I forgot they got Toshiro Mifune as Toranaga in that one!

yeah and he acted circles around everyone

edit: I didn't mine the reworking of "not if I win" because the acting was great and in the end delivering the line about obeying your lord would probably take time to fully explain. It works here I think. But yeah the moment is pivotal as it is the moment that Anjin isn't just a chess piece he has the kind of mind where Toranaga realizes he can be an ally

kiimo fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 29, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Interesting

but let's be honest it's kind of funny seeing James Clavell type out

NNNNNNIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNJJJJJJJAAAAAAA!

lol I love it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

this is my historical ninja

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

dude thank you for this post

*throws smoke bomb and disappears from thread*

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought the actress who plays Mariko did a good job. Which is cool since the only other thing I've seen her in was Legacy of Monsters and she was terrible. But then again everyone was terrible in that

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My forte is making jokes about things I have tertiary understanding about at best which is why I love SA. Thank you, history goons for tolerating me. Japanese history has always and will always rule. Sake over cha tonight

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

As a person with blue eyes it's important to the audience that Anjin has the lucky genes, yes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wasn't Ishido low born as well? I seem to remember him being the like, common Man and Toranaga being old money.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Collateral posted:

:hai: I never thought of that.

It's a minor background detail, they may not expand on it.

Book chat, I don't think it's a spoiler, but..

I hope the show will explain the recent history of Mariko's family and why she became a Christian, and why she wishes to join them. I was surprised her husband was so slight, I though he was supposed to be built like bear.

And I wonder if they'll address his little baby micropenis

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

timp posted:

Yeah totally. I was honestly surprised to see he was a competent and brave warrior cause from the way he was acting I was kind of getting "insecure coward" vibes in the few snippits we saw before that scene.

He uh, has other reasons to act that way.

micro reasons

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

This is heavy book spoilers and maybe just my interpretation, but totally in line with this It is kinda all of those things, but ultimately underneath everything, toranaga needs one friend and that is basically where he begins to cultivate blackthorne for that role in his own hosed up way

Not if I win

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Blackthorne is actually the only casting choice i'm still on the fence about. His weird way of walking is distracting to me. He's always hulking around and making weird acting choices. I mean, it's not the worst but meh

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You guys are winning me over

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not gonna lie, I thought about how much time the actors had to spend all day filming on that boat with Cosmo in that weenie sarong and everyone just like, trying not to look down for 8 hours of filming

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's not his crew though, right? It was a group he had like one previous sailing encounter with?

Because his actual crew is still out there somewhere. Covered in filth

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I assume next is Tai Pan and it will just be called that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I really like the actor playing Ishido. I'm excited to see how things work out for his character!

pretend I spoilered something else on this subject, I refuse to say more

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I should have maybe not been eating during the last scene.

At least it wasn't ragù bolognese which is what Ishidu's men became

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Clearly the production also has history nerds working for it who came to similar conclusions on cannons vs muskets in the hands of a sailor

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Based on next episode description they are in that town for a while

banging with decreasing amounts of discretion, which is typical human behavior

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I didn't tell you my family name. It's Mariko Hitler.

Mariko Suave

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ah yes, the Tom Bombadil faction

They are manifesting in the Dune threads also.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When people complain about an awesome scene because it veers away from exactly how it happened in the book I really appreciate it.

It helps me remember which goons are insufferable pricks that I should avoid.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Book readers are desperate for everyone to know that they read the book.

I'll have you know that I recently bought the books.

Because my well worn novel disappeared and only after I bought this whole collection did my friend say oh I still have yours, gonna give it back.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They are definitely not stacked that way on my shelf lol

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The way I see it, the book rules, and the show rules, and book readers (or most of them anyway) are excited to talk about which version of certain events they liked better. Some people are definitely weird about it though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Beefeater1980 posted:

The use of Japanese and amazing landscapes is sufficiently good to make me wonder how they could do Taipan well. To do it right you should film here in HK for at least a bit, and get tons of local actors. But I can’t believe a historical show portraying HK as a British colony and with a mostly sympathetic view of the British opium smuggler protagonist would get government approval to film. Technically we don’t have the same regime as the mainland but it’s a bit murky these days.

E: I would love to see them cast like Tony Leung as Jin Qua or sth though.

I'm already mad that whoever they cast as Gordon Chen isn't stroking his giant hairs coming out of his mole.

They already cast the perfect Dirk Struan in the 1986 film though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Brown

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The perfect comparison in Chernobyl was already made, no need to keep exploring comps

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

withak posted:

LMFAO at posting in a prestige TV thread but somehow not having watched The Wire.

Strong Dwight Schrute energy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doltos posted:

Yeah this show is so amazingly good. I can't find a single fault in it other than I have to stare at the screen to read all the subtitles.

In our giant meeting at Universal today everyone was raving about this show and also mentioning that you can't look at your phone while watching it so there's a level of paying attention that enhances it.

I can't remember the last show I WATCHED watched.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

As a resident in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles I was glad to see liquefaction in action, something I've heard a great deal about.

And by glad I mean loving horrified.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

One thing though, I was a touch disappointed that Anjin didn't go out and look at the post where two arrows were embedded in the exact same spot and is so blown away that he orders nobody to ever take down the post or remove the arrows.

But I guess that would kind of break the mood of Buntaro being a shitbag. But he's a deadly dangerous samurai for sure

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I had forgotten some of the scene and at first took Mariko's caution of drinking sake from the soup bowl as just her amazement at the amount an English Sailor could put down.

Then a masterful amount of acting from everyone involved reminded me that Buntaro is a mean drunk and wow did they nail that scene. I felt PTSD from some past experiences.

not being the mean drunk, being around one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

People saying the relationship hasn't been earned have apparently not had and an entire relationship's life cycle in the span of a week before like I have :shrug: