Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There was something intresting I realized with Blackthorne and the Portuguese. He's adapting, he's learning not just the language but the customs. He dresses Japanese, eats their food and has taken a part in their social structure. The Portoguese, they still live as Europeans. They wear their somber black clothing, they live in European settings, eat European food in a European way. They just burst in and assume the Japanese will just completely change their way to doing things. I mean that's a very early modern catholic way of thinking; no, its everyone else that's wrong.

Tankbuster posted:

Christianity gets banned in Japan within a generation.

I hope Mariko gives it up before she's boiled alive by being thrown into a thermal vent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arglebargle III posted:

This seems ahistorical to me, since 1600 is still well within the era of Jesuit missionaries who were willing to use the local customs to gain access and influence in East Asia and highly educated and good at what they did. It's the 1700s when the Jesuits are being banned from European colonial missions for being too wealthy, too educated and too native.

Yea, within the story is works but its not historical. I mean Cavell changes names for a new reasons, not only because he thought Tokugawa would be hard to pronounce, but somehow Torinaga is? It lets him do stuff that isn't historically accurate.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Last Mariko, died as she lived, being a passive aggressive queen

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It amuses me that Blackthorne sounds like when Youtuber Chris Broad tries to do his "serious voice". Though he moved to Japan and married an attractive Canadian.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope we get some Fuji in the last episode.

When they show Mariko with her yari, I couldn't help but think of Sister Friede, but I think that's just because that shot of a woman holding a spear has been used a lot. Though I wonder if she and Ochiba would be considered Onnamusha, we see them practicing and are clearly proficient with the naginatas. Thought thats moot now.

Though once they blew the door, whats stopping them from killing Blackthorne and Yabu and the rest? Clearly the orders were to take Mariko alive, not kill her, though what about the rest? Were they told not to kill Blackthorne or the ladies, as that would drat Ishido's position even more, that an entire guest party was murdered by Shinobi while they were under his protection? The other Daimiyo are fully aware that they're prisoners as much as anyone, and now they see he's just a full on tyrant, having nobles murdered at a whim.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vampire Panties posted:

they probably all ran off once they saw they killed mariko. no point in hanging out when the alarm has been sounded and the person they were trying to capture alive is very dead

Very "something broke, everybody scram before mom finds out."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember in one location, the Christians that refused to renounce all got tossed in a thermal vent or some other natural source of hot water.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always found it amusing that the Spanish and Portuguese had a head start in their colonization and trade empires, but their insistence on converting everyone to Catholicism tended to make things harder than it was for the later French and English. Especially when you had cultures that were not devastated by disease and were able to mount successful resistance to their influence. Though I admit I don't know much about Philippine history to know how they held onto it so long with it being on the other side of the world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always remember him in Ivanhoe.

He's dead and one of his buddies says "a fune addition to Satan's kingdom".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If you just want more samraui action in modern movies, you can't go wrong with Takeshi Miike's 13 Assassins. Its like 3/4 some of the most beautiful shots of medieval japan, and 1/4 an insane battle that ends up with literally the river running red with blood.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't the Japanese equivalent to like Shakespearian English? It's all "forshooth thy ill hous greatly upset your mother, milady"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think its funny that they just casually show that Fuji is Buntaro's sister, which adds another layer to his issues with Blackthrone.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ballz posted:

I believe Fuji is Buntaro’s niece, not sister.

Don't they both refer to the retainer who died father?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought Mariko's father killed the Taiko, who was the one who killed the Nobunaga analog and took his place? That he was the one the regents were taking about when they said "Lets not pretend the Taiko was not a horrible person".

Or is the Taiko meant to be Nobunaga?

Also I can totally understand a father loving one of his children so much that he doesn't want them to die, and doing everything to prevent that, even going against cultural norms. Maybe Mariko's father would hope she would understand what he did and not desire to die constantly. Like he could save one person he loved so he did it. I don't think they say what other members of her family there were, but I assume that she had siblings, the boys would be expected to go to their deaths with honour, and probably any sisters would be too young to marry? I dunno, they don't get in it enough to really speculate beyond the most basic thoughts.