Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Google Jeb Bush posted:

It also does a good job of portraying, in a show that so far doesn't have fantastical murder-heroes, that Buntaro is a fairly superlative warrior. He just shears through the opposition until they can start bringing their numbers to bear.

yeah this is the Good poo poo. Really hits the holy trinity of a good adaptation of feudal times:

1. armor works
2. a well-trained guy in armor can really gently caress poo poo up
3. a nobleman is probably well-trained even if he's personally a dickhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

My quick look at the Shogun subreddit has some folks itching for more action, but man, I gotta say, the cut to all of Sugiyama's entourage slaughtered hit hard and I can't think of any spinning and kicking and clanging of swords that I would like to see in its place.

I've been rewatching Deadwood at the same time and it honestly reminds me of that show in the way that action sequences are sparse, quick, and impactful. The real joy of both shows is watching characters try to explain themselves to one another.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

XYZAB posted:

Blackthorne: "The Earth is a 4 corner simultaneous 4 – day time cube, like this. When the Sun shines upon Earth, 2 – major Time points are created on opposite sides of Earth – known as England, which is here, and the Japans, which is here."

Toranaga: "..."

Blackthorne: "When the object enters the timestream, time begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.
The Japans works the same way."

Toranaga: "..."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjrKUVWj8A

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
gosh what a lovely finale. Blackthorne and Fuji consigning the remains of their loved ones to the sea -- incredible. Japan is an island, so really neither of them will ever be too far away. but they can move on, and it's really affecting to see them do so, in their own ways.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Something I didn't actively notice at first but now I do: whenever Mariko and Blackthorne are walking side by side, she's doing the little shuffle walk that keeps her head completely level while he's ranging about all over the place like he's got reverse sea legs. super fun detail

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, eventually, Tokugawa actually did give the real William Adams permission to leave Japan once the first English captain to come to Japan on purpose showed up, but Adams declined (It may be because said captain was kind of an rear end in a top hat to him). This was around 1612, though, a long time after Sekigahara. There was actually a lot going on between Sekigahara and the closing of the country, and Adams had a pretty real impact on how that went down.

you gotta imagine at that point too like ... what's left for him in England? An uncertain journey and, at the end of it, a land as alien to him now as he would be to it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

lol speaking of that, this is Yabushige's death poem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do0rpBd7cXo

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Mauser posted:

Needed more muraji scenes imo

Muraji rocked, love how when Toranaga tells him to drop the act he immediately straightens up and busts out legit good English/Portuguese

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
you know who else was pretty great was Alvaro. Interesting how they just made him a straightforwardly decent dude. poor guy was heartbroken telling Blackthorne about Mariko's deal at the docks.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Morrow posted:

The show makes interpretation scenes so good because the showrunners are skilled and confident enough to give us two conversations at once and make both meaningful.

https://twitter.com/DaveMcNamee3000/status/1780980709878120876

https://twitter.com/BittrScrptReadr/status/1781136015954162014

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

he was a decent dude for a jesuit, he'd rather have converted blackthorne and been friends, but was fully willing to stand by and let him die by the order of his superiors. he was touched by how deeply mariko felt for him, but in the patronising way a true believer looks at a poor deluded heretic. there is a chance that if mariko had made the plea directly to him and it was not a deal struck between the jesuits and mariko/toranaga that he would have attempted to warn him and give him an opportunity to escape, leaving the rest to god, but not very likely and he wouldn't ever actively interfere to save him. the talk about "not my god, your god, just god" may have pulled him on side enough for a little more but, not much.

i feel like reading him in particular as a pure sack of poo poo jesuit rear end in a top hat is a dire misreading of the character, since the other jesuits are presented as wholly corrupt and financially motivated, while he is presented as a pious and hardworking true believer and busybody, always honest and trying to be a little helpful throughout.

I might also be misreading it because I thought Ishido was gonna have Blackthorne killed on the way out of Osaka but the Church intervened on Mariko's request

also I read Alvaro as a little bit in love with Mariko. But I'm not totally sold on that interpretation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

SolarFire2 posted:

Was there a single shot with actual sunlight in this series? One of the tells that it's very obviously shot in British Columbia is that it's always raining, drizzling or just cloudy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eERRO_IyNsg