Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This show slaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Phenotype posted:

How does being a missionary to a place like that work, anyway? You show up on a boat, and you just start randomly talking to people like "hey, there's this dude called jesus and he loves you very much"? How does Christianity get a foothold there?

This show I believe is set mid 1550s which would be right around the time of the first Jesuits getting to Japan like Francis Xavier. Japan was an isolationist nation but they still traveled abroad a ton and just thought he was someone pushing a new Hindu religion. Familiarity leads to acceptance, especially backed by trade which the Portuguese dominated in Asia between them landing in the Mughal Empire and Japan. This led to priests slowly converting local leaders who then converted their subjects and the rest is history. It was basically just like you said, Hey there's a greater power that loves you and accepts you and wants you in the kingdom of Heaven. Pretty easy message to believe in and embrace.

It's what comes after that's the problem. I think in the scope of history people underestimate how much time people had and the span in which they accomplished it. For instance the Conquista of South America's Jesuits went from 1500ish until 1767 with the Bourbon Reforms. That's 275~ years of probably the most learned priests in any Catholic sect working every day to bring Christianity to the indigenous people. Japan is still in conflict between the landing in 1550 and now when it comes to Christianity vs Shinto/Buddhism. Catholics love to destroy things that aren't Catholic and Japan still has reaction and counter reaction to warlords burning down all the temples when they were converting.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mystes posted:

Also, as other people said the jesuits used trade, technology, scientific knowledge, etc. to convert people, and at the beginning they would extensively lie about actual christian beliefs to try to make them seem more palatable to local culture/beliefs in Japan and other countries and start to convert people, so it was absolutely not just a matter of saying "Hey there's a greater power that loves you and accepts you and wants you in the kingdom of Heaven"

In my comment I said trade and learned experience I'm not sure if that was clear before you posted

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Aurubin posted:

Not really sold on Cosmo Jarvis' performance in this. Everybody else is great.

I really like it but acknowledge that it's a walmart version of Tom Hardy

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah this show is so amazingly good. I can't find a single fault in it other than I have to stare at the screen to read all the subtitles.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Arbitrarily killing peasants or people "less" than you was also not really a thing, but again, it's a common trope for the period.

It wasn't arbitrary but Kiri Sute Gomen was absolutely real and happened a lot

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

M_Gargantua posted:

We are spoiled with modern tech, but a skilled Pilot can be thought of to be equivalent in value to a ~$1.5M aerospace navigation box of the modern era.

You don't put your million dollar computer in your $25M dollar ship and then put it somewhere it can be broken. The Cannon, powder, shot, and assorted small arms probably cost another $15M modern equivalent. (The Erasmus in the show is based on the Dutch Liefde, a 300 ton, 18-gun Galleon)

There were a bunch of people that helped make sure the ships didn't crash into rocks during the age of sail. You had the pilot, helmsman, ship master, look out, etc. Often the 'pilot' was a local that just knew the land.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Enderzero posted:

The book makes clear that pilots rely on other pilot’s written notes, which are treated as trade secrets, and help them get from place to place without the ability to determine longitude. That wasn’t solved for another 225ish years. So they were cherished, as the only possible men who could guide you to a land.

I think that's over simplifying navigation development a bit. Jupiter navigation was around 1610, the Mercator Projection and triangulation was 50 years before that, the astrolabe and logarithms were used throughout the 17th century, and printed maps were all the rage from the mid 1500s and onward. It also didn't make sense to keep trade secrets from fellow navigators as various crowns and guilds paid for them.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Well it's because Japan didn't get colonized. You had European priests and some trade outposts in certain cities of course, but they never actually controlled anything. There's a 50-60 year period where this is going on and then in the early 1600s Japan decides "ok enough of that" and mostly closes off to the outside world until they get forced back open by Commodore Perry in the 1860s. Shortly after that they modernize and start colonizing other countries themselves.

There's a good book called Portuguese Seaborne Empire that goes over this a bit. I read it years ago for a class so I don't remember entirely the passages but basically Japan wasn't seen as valuable because it was viewed as a backwater spot after much more profitable Philippines, China, and India. The Dutch viewed them as trade partners first and foremost and England had no interest in colonizing it. Spain was much more interested in the Philipines and also viewed Japan as a trade partner around their trade routes from Mexico to the East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dr.Radical posted:

I really appreciate the casting of Father Martin and the other priests. They’re all so loathsome and those horrible haircuts they have is the icing on the cake.

The jesuits would find it weird that you don't shave your pate to remain humble under the lord