Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They cast a guy with brown eyes who's English but doing a weird English guy voice. Everything about this is good except for the lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

He's weird and the weirdness is only increased by putting him in blue contacts and extreme closeup all the time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Enderzero posted:

Later on, he gets disgusted thinking of how dirty they were when they hosed, having experienced Japanese clean, and wonders if he could ever convince her to get clean!

Re-enactors have shown pretty convincingly (at least to me) that the filth of medieval and early modern Europeans is overblown. We clean ourselves by immersing our bodies in water every day, so when we hear that past Europeans didn't do that, we assume they didn't clean themselves. It's projection. Early modern Europeans did have working noses and were aware of cleaning themselves, but they did it by sponge baths and rubbing their bodies with cloth, which would then be washed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sun Tzu actually said you should stand in your enemy's artillery training ground, it's a very good idea.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

INTJ Mastermind posted:

TIL a “koku” is a year’s ration of rice for one man, or about 180 liters. Can’t wait for Blackthorn’s reaction when 240 of those (43,200 liters) gets delivered to his house next month.

Wasn't the koku also a unit of gold that was supposed to be the same value?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Anyway, I actually learned something interesting from the Reddit Shogun page about "I'd sooner pull a gourd from a horse" that Fuji says. She's quoting a proverb: 瓢箪から駒が出る "Hyoutan kara koma ga deru", which just means something completely unexpected. Literally, it translates as "A pony emerging from a gourd". Which is reversed from how it's subtitled.

The best part of the Reddit thread is people who are watching it with non-English subtitles, and the line is translated as:

“It’s going to rain red” (Mandarin proverb)
"I'd sooner thread a rope through a needle" (Romanian)
"I was not expecting that" (Brazilian Portuguese)
"I would rather jump off a bridge" (Spanish)

Interesting that for a show so fastidious about its language usage that there is so much difference going on here.

I listened to the podcast and they actually write in English, translate into Japanese, send to a Japanese screenwriter who specializes in historical drama for a rewrite, then send that to the localization team to be translated into subtitles.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol turns out ajiro village is in the studio parking lot. That's some incredible set and cg work

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is it really so hard to believe that the Japanese nobility were appalled by an English sailor's idea of home cooking?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

All these trailing robes around open oil lamps makes me nervous.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

grobbo posted:

Sanada, at least, has been quite vocal on the press tour saying that he sees Toranaga as a heroic figure and an exemplar, so it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the character arc plays out.

Tokugawa is kind of like an Augustus figure in that yes, he killed a large number of people and mercilessly exterminated his political rivals, but his hegemony ended a period of civil war and inaugurated an era of peace and prosperity.

PostNouveau posted:

The Japanese thought cannons were super inaccurate. Did Blackthorne have better cannons than the Portuguese or were the Portuguese holding out on them?

I can't speak to what cannons exactly the Portuguese were selling in Japan in the 1550s but in general it's historically accurate that artillery technology advanced rapidly in the second half of the 16th century. In 1500 cannons were custom-made war machines that could weigh more than 10 tons and were primarily for throwing stone balls at castles. By 1600 accurate field guns were a reality, although they're still giants compared to 18th century field guns from more familiar movies. The show cannons are notably huge compared to American Revolutionary War cannons. Cannons got a lot cheaper, smaller, standardized, and easier to mass-produce. It's not surprising that cannons made in 1595 are way better than cannons made in 1550.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 23, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Those poor people...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sash! posted:

China and Japan had found out around that time. The shape of the Earth was a curious blind spot in Chinese science, despite their astronomical work.

It wasn't until Jesuits turned up in the decades immediately before the story that they'd gained that knowledge.

From googling around it looks like at least one Chinese astronomer proposed a spherical earth but the idea never caught on.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SHOGUN -- Fuji's Got a Gun

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Imagine four busho on the edge of a cliff...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm the 5th regent

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow you're making these guys sound bad

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stegosnaurlax posted:

In some ways yeah they were. They were more crooked for sure, but they were a lot less militant

They had to create the FBI because local law enforcement was murdering people for money in Oklahoma.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shishkahuben posted:

When John goes to spar Yabu and holds his sword like a cutlass, is he even doing that right? He clearly had no idea how to wield a katana, but is that ANY kind of proper technique, or is it meant to show that he's a completely untrained swordsman in any country?

I'm not an expert but he looks like he's holding it the way you'd hold a European rapier or epee where it's a long stabbing sword and the whole fight is about reach and controlling the point of the sword. I've seen a video where a katana expert is confronted with a rapier and it goes pretty well for the rapier, mostly because it's a longer sword and therefore you can poke the katana guy before he can slice you. But John isn't an expert and he's not holding a rapier.

Sailing in the 16th century was not at all like the organized naval activities we think of the Royal Navy as engaging in 200 or 300 years later. Even in 1800 sailors didn't get any formal training in swordsmanship, and on a 1590s merchant expedition you can expect that the level of military training the crew received was zero.

You have to remember that the English had little idea what caused scurvy, and so far foreign trips were typically a disaster. Anyone in England who could avoid getting on a ship to the Japans probably would. The Spanish and Portuguese had better scholarship on the matter in this time period but formal medical training and the dissemination of relevant knowledge from academics to professional sailors might be spotty.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 6, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

dude learned portuguese somewhere, somehow, so he's probably seen dudes fight with a sword, but has never done it himself. If the Erasmus really raided portuguese settlements across Asia Blackthorne almost certainly would have been involved based on the number of the crew, and they probably did it with clubs, boarding pikes, and pistols/rifles.

When they weren't literally dying of scurvy. Didn't the ship arrive in port with like 13 people alive?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is just speculation but I'd guess that Yamato culture viewed rice agriculture as a key cultural feature that separated them from the indigenous barbarians and linked them to mainland "civilized" Asia. East Asia has this conveyor belt of cultural practices from the south and west that arrive and then become cemented as key features of civilized society right around the time writing becomes widespread in the late bronze age/early iron age (the division isn't as clear in East Asia because they kept using bronze concurrently with iron). Wheat arrived in the late neolithic and rice shortly after that and for some reason became the prestige foods in China. And then once people start writing about culture that seems to become a fixed cultural idea, that we eat wheat and rice and poor people eat millet and those nasty people eat nuts and horses. Chinese ethnography was focused on cultural practices rather than phenotypic differences, which is why definition of China keeps expanding to include people in the west and south.

The weird thing about the late neolithic and early historical period is that, as posters have pointed out, wheat and rice agriculture wasn't particularly good for their health. In fact environmental degradation and the decrease in the variety of Chinese diets was a subject of comment in some bronze age Chinese texts, like "Hey sure do seem to be a lot less tigers and fish and forests around here, now people just eat wheat cakes."

And the Chinese are the great civilization of the continent so if they're all eating terrible unhealthy cereal diets then we definitely do that because we're civilized, unlike those awful peasants and wild men.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 7, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's wild how environmental degradation is a constant theme of the last 5,000 years. You don't think about the neolithic being a period of mass extinction but it is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Negostrike posted:

That makes it easier to understand this dude's thrill

I mean, I believe it wasn't just anyone in 1900s China who could get a nice bowl of white rice, right

That guy's just got panache.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

The Portoguese, they still live as Europeans. They wear their somber black clothing, they live in European settings, eat European food in a European way. They just burst in and assume the Japanese will just completely change their way to doing things. I mean that's a very early modern catholic way of thinking; no, its everyone else that's wrong.

This seems ahistorical to me, since 1600 is still well within the era of Jesuit missionaries who were willing to use the local customs to gain access and influence in East Asia and highly educated and good at what they did. It's the 1700s when the Jesuits are being banned from European colonial missions for being too wealthy, too educated and too native.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

These Japanese guys seem a bit dour and repressed.

Buntaro seems confused about his relationship with his wife.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 15, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mauser posted:

Speaking of something from the book that's not in the show, wasn't there a scene where Blackthorn sees someone pooping in the street and a peasant comes by to scoop it up for use as fertilizer? Am I just imagining that?

Not enough medieval dramas deal with sanitation practices :colbert:

In East Asia use of human feces as fertilizer was and is still common in some places, which is one reason eating uncooked vegetables is uncommon to downright taboo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dikkfor posted:

Having a guy who's job is to run around the place carrying your proclamations on a big stick must be sick as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dante posted:

Well I mean, her tiny child is the rightful heir and the other dude wants to be shogun. Historically it played out pretty much as you'd expect.

One thing other posters in the thread brought to my attention is that this kid is the son of a peasant who everyone agreed was a great right-hand-man to his noble leader. A leader who couldn't be shogun because he was a peasant. So they invented a new title for him and now the kid is... what exactly? There's no precedent for this title being passed down.