Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Phenotype posted:

How does being a missionary to a place like that work, anyway? You show up on a boat, and you just start randomly talking to people like "hey, there's this dude called jesus and he loves you very much"? How does Christianity get a foothold there?

It seems like it was pretty clearly spelled out in the show. The christian regents get a bunch of money from the priests and they might not cling to their faith as much if that weren't the case. You show up some place, give someone something they need or want, and then say "Jesus did this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Does Shogun take place before or after the Mongolian invasions?

Is this before or after the US defeats Japan?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

My understanding is that lobsters are more like bugs where their nervous systems aren't really developed enough to feel what we would call "pain."

All you have to do is watch the videos of people keeping lobsters or crabs as pets and you will see that they have personalities. They don't have advanced intelligence, but there is thought in their tiny brains and they don't deserve to be boiled alive without being knocked out or killed first.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It is hilarious that Hawthorne keeps trying to pretend to blend in and then he sees a catholic and immediately goes rage mode.

"I am a simple trades man, here to trade my wares"
"No, he's a protestant pirate"
"YARRRR ME MATEY I BE DECLARIN A WAR ON YE CATHOLICS IN THE NAME OF CHURCH OF ENGLAND JESUS!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

It's no more off putting than the blue contacts Edward James Olmos wore on Battlestar Galactica so that he would look more like Jamie Bamber.

This is really insane to me. "Hey Edward James Olmos, who's been in a bunch of poo poo, we need to blue up your eyes so you look like you might be related to this guy who was in 3 episodes of Band of Brothers."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Apparently the propmaster said that ship was a mail order thing that only cost a couple hundred bucks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Alhazred posted:

And of loving course he named his kids Tudor and Lisbeth.

I named my kids George and Washington.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If they do other seasons, is it going to be like knives out where they think people are too stupid to figure out what it is so they call it Whatever: A Shogun Show

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What a great episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. I know they stole someone's book and that's how they were able to find the passage to the Japans. And then they also had a log of them burning Catholic settlements. So the book they found would be in Portuguese, and their own notes would likely be in English or in Dutch. I assume that the priests in Osaka did not read English well, because the book had that note that looks like they are trying to translate "burned to hell" into Portuguese. But if they don't read English, how did they even know much about the log in the first place? And how would the Japanese ever even translate it? It seems to me that if the book is a log of what Blackthorne's crew has done, that would be considered proof of piracy, would be written in either English or Dutch, and thus, be complete gibberish to anyone but Blackthorne.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So he conveniently wrote his own journal in Portuguese?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I didn't tell you my family name. It's Mariko Hitler.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Book readers are desperate for everyone to know that they read the book.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like how they desperately wanted to show off Shogun so people know what to look for, so they put the books backwards.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The way I see it, the book rules, and the show rules, and book readers (or most of them anyway) are excited to talk about which version of certain events they liked better. Some people are definitely weird about it though.

I meant more in general. The book readers in this thread have been fine. But for other shows, book readers will butt into speculative conversation with their bOoK kNoWlEdGe and it's really annoying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://collider.com/shogun-hiroyuki-sanada/

Hiroyuki Sanada does all his own stunts and fighting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ohana means family, and family means no one is left behind or forgotten.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Scoss posted:

I love the laugh that Toranaga gives when Blackthorne offers him his swords, clearly knowing their true provenance.

"Tell the Anjin that I accept his mall kiosk swords"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Every time I see the Portuguese people I laugh at how stupid their clothes and haircuts are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Toronaga was at the mall so he bought another set.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For the partially shaved heads, I read that it was because the helmets would get really hot, so they shaved that part of their head to keep it cooler. So for that reason, I don't really laugh at the Japanese dumb haircuts, since they seem to have a reason. The Portuguese priests I will laugh at all day every day. They have their heads shaved all stupid because of something someone made up in the middle ages.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Some insane person's insane theories

The weird guy in high school who had printed out Dick Cheney photshop memes in a binder that he showed people during PE also brought up time cube. He refused to accept my theory of a 24 sided icositetragon earth that has 24 simultaneous days.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love hearing blackthorne say "the Japans"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Good lord, the scene in episode 2 where Blackthorne explains the European political situation to Toranaga.

It's not news to me that Europeans (and other white people) have always been like this, but the loving arrogance of some dipshits halfway across the world to just divide between themselves a bunch of sovereign nations! And the looks on the samurais' faces when Blackthorne explains to them that a bunch of people from some country they know practically nothing about (and who know practically nothing about THEIR country and its long history, and certainly don't give a gently caress about either) just decided that they own Japan now. It's theirs. Oh but they didn't decide it all by themselves. No no, that would be stupid. No, they decided with the other big European power that they wouldn't fight over it and Portugal could just have it. So it's OK you see.

Jesus loving christ.

These weren't just Spain and Portugal deciding, the pope also weighed in on these things. The treaty that split the world was based on a previous papal decree. The pope had influence over catholic kings and queens, so he was one of the most powerful people on the planet. So when Spain and Portugal are told by the pope that they get to own any non christian lands in some part of the earth, then they are going to believe it pretty strongly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Look at me, I am the regent now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

The biggest takeaway I got from reading "Silence" (which Scorsese's movie is based on and takes place in the 1630s as Tokugawa's grandson is banning Christians) is that samurai-era Japan was pretty drat lovely for the 95% of the population that wasn't samurai. Rice was a luxury for special occasions. No generous cuckoos.

That's funny considering it's food for poor people now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why doesn't Master Chief just show up and fix everything?

Edit: And spare me your "Only rich people could afford master chief"

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 5, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I assume he'd also be busy with the ship instead of boarding.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

joepinetree posted:

There's a great paper on Social Science History about how ships in the 1600s would change routes, avoid patrols, etc based on who they shared ports with. Essentially they document that captains would go to busy ports and then alter their routes depending on who was there at the same time. So word of mouth and connections like that were the bread and butter of sea trade.

Uhh, I hope this is some sort of joke because they didn't have bread and butter, that was only for the queen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

feedmegin posted:

What in the name of ned are you talking about, here, or am I missing a meta-joke.

Now on an actual ship you'd have hard tack, which is bread in the Terry Pratchett dwarf bread sense, and butter wouldn't exactly keep very long on board, but neither were nobility-only level luxuries in general, especially bread. Like, 'give us this day our daily bread' from the Lord's Prayer?

It's just a meta commentary on when I made a comment earlier in the thread where I thought it was funny that they were using rice as a valuable commodity when buying a sack of rice and a sack of beans is the cheapest way to feed yourself where I live and a bunch of goons jumped on my post with "well ACKCHUALLY white rice is the most valuable thing you can get in some countries" or whatever the hell they were saying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
*Me eating wheat cakes and dooming generations and generations to having diabetes and heart problems* Haha, ArgleBargle thinks we should eat berries sometimes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Peanut Butler posted:

certainly in the late 1900s they could,

Maybe if you're JD Rockefeller.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Well, this is kinda what I mean, right? Great job, you've convinced Yabu to abandon you. And now that Yabu has already mentally gone through the process of breaking his ties with you, is he going to be more or less likely to carry out your surprise orders versus if you'd just told him to do it in the first place?

It just seems like something that you do in a less heady sort of show, where you aren't really considering a full internal life and persona to all the characters.

I think in this case Yabu will end up doing what Toranaga wants, and he is right to predict that will happen. He knows Yabu doesn't want to give up and will likely come up with his own plan to attack Osaka anyway. If he tells Yabu that plan, Yabu might start acting differently. Yabu has to think it is his own sneaky plan for it to work. Yabu is tasked with bring the guns and cannons back to Osaka. Toranaga knows that Blackthorne tried to pledge loyalty to Yabu, so Yabu will likely take the anjin with him once he's come up with "his" plan.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

snoremac posted:

Good point. In any staged betrayal Yobu would be a massive liability in terms of giving things away through scheming or bragging to the wrong person.

Another good point. If Yabu thinks he has to do everything himself, he has to be even more secretive. He can't risk telling anyone and risk it getting back to Toranaga, and possibly any spies, so he can only tell Blackthorne, who has already had a public falling out with Toranaga, and can't really talk to anyone anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So are we thinking Toranaga is the father of the heir? It was plainly obvious that Ochiba went to someone else to get pregnant, just not sure who.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Where did this white guy come from? Does this show ever explain this or did they just run out of Japanese actors?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Lol I like how he's just posting because the guy looks like him and then the actual actor is in the comments.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

That rules, and those 8 years show because the show is loving impeccably made.

After all your effort posts in the masters of the air thread, you of all people should know that 8 years of working on something can go either way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mordja posted:

Oh, is MotA bad? I saw it got pretty good reviews, that's about all I know of it.

I wouldn't say it's bad, just overcooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A great episode, but I just want to talk about how much I love when Yabu gets surprised, cocks his head to the side and says "oh?"