Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hachi Machi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Rad-daddio posted:

in related news, mt local Walmart shut down their self checkout lanes, but if you subscribe to their Walmart+ service, you can scan all of your store bought items with your phone and checkout online.

loving Walmart is setting up Disney-style speed passes.

My preferred grocery store (Big Y) does scan and go or whatever they call it and it's 10/10 will never stand in a line again. Just walk around and buy my things with my phone camera and then walk out the store

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

500excf type r posted:

My preferred grocery store (Big Y) does scan and go or whatever they call it and it's 10/10 will never stand in a line again. Just walk around and buy my things with my phone camera and then walk out the store

Which is weird because Big Y fought the hardest against even standard self checkouts until Covid forced their hand.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Rad-daddio posted:

in related news, mt local Walmart shut down their self checkout lanes, but if you subscribe to their Walmart+ service, you can scan all of your store bought items with your phone and checkout online.

loving Walmart is setting up Disney-style speed passes.

Wegmans did this and then realized their shoplifting margins skyrocketed and quickly shut it down

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I like the idea, but I hate that it's behind yet another bs monthly fee.

But I'll probably do it bc gently caress waiting in line at that place

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Wegmans did this and then realized their shoplifting margins skyrocketed and quickly shut it down

Yup, store I work at has realized their shrink is through the roof since they started charging for plastic bags, because now everyone brings their own bag and just… walks out with whatever the gently caress they want because there’s not enough people to watch the doors.

The solution? Police the employees, because that’s definitely how shrink has doubled.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
So you work at ALDI’s?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I popped into the Walmart subreddit and yeah apparently all the stores are closing or limiting self checkout. Or otherwise keeping them open for their premium customers or spark delivery.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

That is far too many bros per pizza.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Rad-daddio posted:

I popped into the Walmart subreddit and yeah apparently all the stores are closing or limiting self checkout. Or otherwise keeping them open for their premium customers or spark delivery.

I went into a Walmart recently and they had people checking receipts at the exit, which I promptly walked right past because what are they going to do, revoke my Walmart membership?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Those elderly and/or disabled people aren’t paid enough to actually give a gently caress or do anything if you do happen to be stealing

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Checking back in. Did Wendy's do it?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Just paid market price for a Ghost Pepper Ranch Spicy Chicken Sandwich. It was pretty good, but no Baconator if I'm being honest.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It caused a surge all right

In my dipes

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Vampire Panties posted:

I went into a Walmart recently and they had people checking receipts at the exit, which I promptly walked right past because what are they going to do, revoke my Walmart membership?

i'll walk past if there's a line.

Our store usually has either the chuddy old ladies or the developmentally disabled people doing the checks so I'll humor the latter and sashay right past the former.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redshirt posted:

CEO walked it back and then they offered like $1 burgs for a week or something.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

CEO walked it back and then they offered like $1 burgs for a week or something.

Weak rear end market listening motherfuckers.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

redshirt posted:

No, they decided not to do surge pricing. Instead they will just raise their prices all the time. Because gently caress you.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Gutcruncher posted:

It caused a surge all right

In my dipes

Post/username combo doing some heavy lifting here

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

eightysixed posted:

So you work at ALDI’s?

Nah, just a smaller grocer based out west that saw how much money the California policy saves them (but their excuse is being “environmentally friendly”)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

No, they decided not to do surge pricing. Instead they will just raise their prices all the time. Because gently caress you.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Pretty sure it's already defined in law that after you've paid they have no right to stop you from leaving a store open to the public. You absolutely can walk past someone "checking receipts" and they can't do poo poo to you unless it's like Sam's club or Costco where it's a membership driven store.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Wendigee posted:

Pretty sure it's already defined in law that after you've paid they have no right to stop you from leaving a store open to the public. You absolutely can walk past someone "checking receipts" and they can't do poo poo to you unless it's like Sam's club or Costco where it's a membership driven store.

This is literally why Walmart is pushing Walmart+, so they have your information, picture, and can easily ban your rear end if they think you’re shoplifting or otherwise participating in an “unacceptable behavior”

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One thing the Walmart in me started doing too was having those people who want to change your internet or power company stand in the main aisles and constantly try and sell you on that.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

bobjr posted:

One thing the Walmart in me started doing too was having those people who want to change your internet or power company stand in the main aisles and constantly try and sell you on that.

"the Walmart in me" is kinda a horrifying concept

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

bobjr posted:

the Walmart in me

Band name? New hit anime of the season? Indie comic?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My Walmart somehow needed like 15 months to completely redesign the front part of the store and take out all the checkout aisles except 4 in the middle, now its just two huge self checkout areas. I really wonder what the thought process was behind this. Did they figure the money they saved getting rid of checkout people would be greater than the money they lost due to theft?

Over the holidays visiting family out of town, I had to wait like 10 minutes for some employee to come and unlock the Tums for me. Like if I was gonna steal $1.29 roll of Tums I could still push the button and get it and then walk out instead of paying. You're not preventing theft you're wasting my time. I hate Wal Mart so much and only go there if I have no other choice.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Oops I guess that’s what happens when you mix up “near me” and “in my area”.

They also redid the parking lot to have a line for pickup orders, which only made it a worse parking lot to navigate.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I haven't eaten at a fast food place since like 1995. That I can remember.

It's all strange and foreign to me and I love it.

naem
May 29, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

My Walmart somehow needed like 15 months to completely redesign the front part of the store and take out all the checkout aisles except 4 in the middle, now its just two huge self checkout areas. I really wonder what the thought process was behind this. Did they figure the money they saved getting rid of checkout people would be greater than the money they lost due to theft?

Over the holidays visiting family out of town, I had to wait like 10 minutes for some employee to come and unlock the Tums for me. Like if I was gonna steal $1.29 roll of Tums I could still push the button and get it and then walk out instead of paying. You're not preventing theft you're wasting my time. I hate Wal Mart so much and only go there if I have no other choice.

https://youtu.be/aHKWozpaJZQ?si=wzR1lyOKf-yLJ0S9

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

A Strange Aeon posted:

"the Walmart in me" is kinda a horrifying concept

wasnt that the moral of the south park walmart ep

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

counterfeitsaint posted:

They put in all the self checkouts because they couldn’t hire enough people to actually work registers for what they’re paying. It’s actually that simple.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the only kind of surge pricing i'm ok with is a dollar for a can of surge

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
lol you think you’re gonna get a can of soda for less than 2.99

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Surge this

*points to colostomy bag

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Coasterphreak posted:

They put in all the self checkouts because they couldn’t hire enough people to actually work registers for what they’re paying. It’s actually that simple.

drat, well I guess there's no other choice then. There's nothing one of the riches families in America could do about this problem. Oh well.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the solution is simple, when walmart catches a self-checkout shoplifter they simply pressgang them into the crew and put them on an unoccupied register or bagging station

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

*Raises the price of staple goods far beyond the reach of a significant portion of the population*

"WHY ARE PEOPLE SHOPLIFTING SO MUCH?!"

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Apparently Dave and Busters and a bunch of chain restaurants are now considering doing surge pricing. gently caress Wendy's for putting that poo poo out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the unspoken agreement is that we don’t haggle with stores because their prices are clearly advertised and the same for everyone

if businesses don’t hold to their side of the bargain, i’m gonna spend 5 minutes haggling in the drive thru every single time. it’ll be war.