Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kids hate Kix and Moms don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You should skip leg day for the most part.....

and do cardio instead.

Squats are good though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Saalkin posted:

In 2019 I was kicking the stair masters rear end. Hitting 20min-30min sessions at a pretty good pace, even to the point I was thinking about doing one of the CN tower stair climbs.

The pandemic killed that poo poo for me :(

If you can do cardio while watching a show, it makes it much easier. I'd say reading too, but reading while doing cardio can be tough depending on circumstances.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

neato burrito posted:

Fervent dedication to an organization of any type that you're not directly a member of is dumb as hell.

Relatedly, college football is lame.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's not butter

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Sun is not our Father or Mother.

It's more like a sibling.

We're both made of the same source material after all.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So I look up at the Sun (not directly of course, that's insanity) and I say "Hey Brother! A fine solar system we have here! One of the best!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All things are impermanent and transitory

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Old people aren't wise just because they are old.
Plenty of old dumbasses.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's no one in charge of this thing
Just idiots, top to bottom, just like you or me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Your actions, your thoughts, your feelings are influenced to a great degree by subconscious cues in your environment.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

mindfulness meditation is something I picked up in therapy while I was working in that drug factory, and it carried me through a lot of that horseshit and a lot of other stuff, too, to this very day.

That'll definitely tell you some truths about yourself that you may not want to hear when you first pick it up.

I'm not sure it's the same thing, I mean, I think a large part of who you and I are, all of us, and how we think, how we go about each day, is based on these very basic responses to stimuli in your environment. You (we) react to them instantly when you see them, without being aware of it at all.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dot communist posted:

It's more than just a great degree. There is no free will. All of your thoughts and decisions are predetermined by your environment and experience. You are literally incapable of "choosing" to act or think or feel anything.

Maybe it's just semantics, but I don't agree. I could act unpredictably right now in way you could not foresee, nor could anyone else. Even me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I mean the Universe is expanding, but that expansion is not uniform nor predictable.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The philosophy here is one of 'hard determination' which suggests that every action you take, no matter how random, is a function of inputs around you as opposed to be something born from a spark of 'creativity'. It's kinda sorta interesting to think about, but suggesting it as an 'hard truth' is a bit of a stretch.

I think I get it. That would be the determinism of atoms, of quarks, or quantum fields, to the end of time. That everything is already played out, and finalized, and we are somehow going through it again, etc.

I doubt many actually believe this.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You exist for a blink of time and the vast majority of existence will not feature you in it. Nothing personal.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Time is a geographic coordinate in Space-Time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The only long term future humanity has in space is in orbit, in spinning vessels that can replicate 1G. Because without Earth gravity, the Moon, Mars, floating in orbit... they're all dead ends.

And there's no sci fi "artificial gravity" on the horizon. Only by spinning can we replicate the effect, and the radius has to be pretty big to avoid dizziness issues. So big rotating rings.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Management posted:

Mars and all other planets have gravity. Sorry if you weren’t ready to hear this.

Mars has .30 of Earth gravity. The moon is like .15

Too low for long term health.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

venus is 0.9g let's live there

Good luck with the whole melting thing!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jupiter has way more gravity but it's relative, as it doesn't really have a surface you're gonna reach. You'd be liquified long before you got close.

Same with Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.

As such, Earth gravity is as high as it realistically gets in this solar system.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Just like Simulation Theory or Last Tuesdayism, it doesn't matter. It's fun to think about but it doesn't matter.

Nothing matters, if you think about it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Yes and No. Depends on what matters to you. Though I would put free will and the other things I mentioned in the almost objectively doesn't matter category because it's not verifiable in any way and doesn't change anything regardless if it is true or not.

I mean from any scale other than your own personal scale. From the perspective of galactic super clusters, for example.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tarkus posted:

True, though, what does 'mattering' mean anyways? Is it just a feeling? Does it have to have an effect? Feelings have a effects and consequences. Conversely, things that occur can matter because they generate feelings of some sort. Do things only matter when it's personal or does it also apply to every scale of human grouping all the way up to a global consciousness?

I don't know. So I guess everything matters and nothing does.

Indeed. I come to your last conclusion. It's both the ultimate liberation and ultimate derivation of purpose, of meaning.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I know I am wrong and bad for wanting to kick so many people's asses.

I don't do it, because it's wrong. But still...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

anger is wasted energy.

Perhaps it is useful in targeted applications.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We still aren't ready for space

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

If you stay calm when someone is trying to pick a fight with you, it confuses your antagonist. Bonus points if you are calm enough to sincerely ask if there’s anything you can do to help.

If it's actually go time, a high pitched noise coupled with action is highly effective

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

A good old fashioned war whoop is always a good one.

As is staring them straight in the eye when they're talking poo poo.

Yep. Any dedicated noise will do.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So many folks are soft, and have no idea how good they have it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We are cosmic beings, made of hydrogen forged in the Big Bang and iron birthed in exploding stars, among other elements.
A miracle, every one of us, everything a miracle. That we exist, in this reality.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

This is true and also we're pointless meat being piloted by electric impulses. We're an idea, trapped in a shell.

We are the Universe, shitposting to itself

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We are the authors of our own suffering.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Millennials defeat weed smoking!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You're not covering up the vodka smell with gum, Janet.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have eaten an incredibly healthy diet over the past 30 years because of vegetarianism. For one example, think of no fast food.

This no doubt has positive health benefits in the long term for most.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wore my full Adidas tracksuit when flying.

Things were just fancier back then.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Any future long term habitation in space will require pretty drastic changes in diet for everyone. Meat will be rare, as will certain crops.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

zedprime posted:

Your grandkids might be able to get a job as a poop digestion machine technician and unknowing long term habitation study on commercialized tourist or mining operations.

Yeah, if there are actual services and industry in space, there will be corresponding poorly paid workers to do the worst jobs. Rich folks ain't doing none of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Most/all astronauts are middle class