Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

Sliding into Nadine Dorries

That's where I stopped reading and turned off my monitor

e: lol talk about page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I have very much enjoyed watching idiot Simon Jenkins getting torn to shreds in the comments below this article he wrote where he defends his Garrick Club membership and denies that being a member of a club stuffed with judges and cabinet ministers confers any benefits or status whatsoever.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/28/fresh-crisis-for-thames-water-as-investors-pull-plug-on-500m-of-funding

quote:

Britain’s biggest water company has been lobbying the regulator, Ofwat, to increase bills by 40%, pay lower fines for breaches and keep paying out dividends. The watchdog has been examining the company’s business plan for 2025 to 2030, and Thames said Ofwat’s initial assessments of the plan make the company “uninvestible” for shareholders.

quote:

A statement on behalf of Thames’s shareholders said: “After more than a year of negotiations with the regulator, Ofwat has not been prepared to provide the necessary regulatory support for a business plan which ultimately addresses the issues that Thames Water faces. As a result, shareholders are not in a position to provide further funding to Thames Water. Shareholders will work constructively with Thames Water, Ofwat and government on how to address the consequences of Ofwat’s decision.”

This is truly the only efficient way to run public necessities.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I can't believe ofwat has done this

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

My experience with wankers in business is it’s like a “you can sleep your way to the middle but not the top”.

The bullies I’ve come across were all (with tiny exceptions) middle management at best. David Brent was a good capture of this.

Offer not valid in small businesses, of course, the worst shithead I ever had to work with ran a 30-person (at the time, it's like 120 now) company, was the CEO, and of course there was literally no HR department. After he tried to strongarm me into a 3 grand pay cut I just left and found somewhere saner to work but not everyone has that option.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's where I stopped reading and turned off my monitor

e: lol talk about page snipe

Thread title surely

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jakabite posted:

and aggressive behaviour with the edges rounded off can be very useful in later life - translating into an unwillingness to be trodden on, ability to make your voice heard, confidence speaking in difficult situations, willingness to be forthright about what you want etc.

This is all my personal theorising but I don’t think the study is suggesting people who continue to be bullies into adulthood fare better than those who don’t.

i think what you're referring to here is assertiveness and it's very different from aggression

mild mannered assertiveness to natural bullies is like garlic to vampires in my experience

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

The Perfect Element posted:

Most of the bullies from my school have gone on to upsettingly senior positions in global banks and other financial institutions. But then they all came from very wealthy families and played rugby at county level, so idk if it's more just classic British nepotism coming into play rather than the bullying.

yeah it's a tapestry isn't it, many factors involved

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yes, They should stick to looking after the power companies!

(I know that's Ofgem, but ofwatt sounds so much better)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Graun is also saying the spectre of nationalisation is hovering over Thames Water.

Would be pretty funny if Sunak oversees more nationalisation than Starmer.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tesseraction posted:

The Graun is also saying the spectre of nationalisation is hovering over Thames Water.

I've often said, we don't need to pay to nationalise any of these companies, we just hold them to account and make them do their job until they go bankrupt one by one, then renatioalise them.
Bonus points for heavy fines, so they pay US for the privilege.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the common denominator however is that some people are just plain cunts

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Tesseraction posted:

Would be pretty funny if Sunak oversees more nationalisation than Starmer.

I think they mean "special circumstances" where the government takes over for a while, presumably getting things out of total poo poo-fest mode before handing it back to shareholders, as opposed to something good.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1773328763914248486
https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1773332749971071038

:toot: I'm glad they thought of the landlords

I don't think anyone here expected any good to come of this bill, or even for it to see the light of day... but....

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 28, 2024

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

feedmegin posted:

Offer not valid in small businesses, of course, the worst shithead I ever had to work with ran a 30-person (at the time, it's like 120 now) company, was the CEO, and of course there was literally no HR department. After he tried to strongarm me into a 3 grand pay cut I just left and found somewhere saner to work but not everyone has that option.

Ha, that reminded me of the boss who tried to get me to take a 20% pay cut because the company was struggling.

I said. OK if I only worked a 4 day week. Apparently that was unacceptable.

I was the only female engineer at that company but I'm sure that had nothing to do with it. Ahem.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
so who stole the magic money tree

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

more like offwat amirite

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
just gon' out an say

public private partnerships in public utilities? not the best idea.

go do your worst libertariailures

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think this is a :lol: and a :lmao:

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1773359532799823940

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1773348509548163250
"sight" :allears:

quote:

In his deleted posts, Fox claimed that his party had “checked, double checked and then triple checked our nominations” and would appeal against the decision, which he claimed was the result of “political corruption”. It is understood that there is no avenue for appealing against the decision by London Elects.

Off I hunt for said deleted posts

e: found one:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 28, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

I think this is a :lol: and a :lmao:
lmao was just screengrabbing that to post

luv beak, hate me ex, hate reedin forms proply, simple as

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wear the Spiderman costume Lozza

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Laurence nightstand dot jpg

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

go do your worst libertariailures
England, 2030:

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

domhal posted:

I think they mean "special circumstances" where the government takes over for a while, presumably getting things out of total poo poo-fest mode before handing it back to shareholders

Can’t we have the other version of Special Circumstances? The one that has knife missiles?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

domhal posted:

I think they mean "special circumstances" where the government takes over for a while, presumably getting things out of total poo poo-fest mode before handing it back to shareholders, as opposed to something good.

property rights are human rights you know

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don't think I've ever heard of Laurence Fox outside this thread and to be honest I don't think I'd be able to tell you what he was known for prior to being a Twitter corncob posting daily updates on how he's wrecking his life.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Terrorists strike again posted:

Relentless direct action has secured another victory in the fight against Israel’s arms trade, as Elbit Systems are forced to sell their ‘Elite KL’ factory in Tamworth.

The company had previously manufactured cooling and power management systems for military vehicles, but was sold on after stating that it faced falling profits and increased security costs resulting from Palestine Action’s efforts.

After the sale was completed last month, Elite KL’s new owners, listed as Griffin Newco Ltd, confirmed in an email to Palestine Action that they will have nothing to do with the previous owners, Elbit, and have discontinued any arms manufacturing:

“Following the recent acquisition of Elite KL Limited by a UK investment syndicate, the newly appointed board has unanimously agreed to withdraw from all future defence contracts and terminate its association with its former parent company”.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of Laurence Fox outside this thread and to be honest I don't think I'd be able to tell you what he was known for prior to being a Twitter corncob posting daily updates on how he's wrecking his life.

Also the hilariously bad Hunter Biden movie made by MAGAs, but that's more the other way around where you know what he is and lol at it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Yes, They should stick to looking after the power companies!

(I know that's Ofgem, but ofwatt sounds so much better)

Ofwat obviously regulates temples.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lewis was the assistant to Morse famous for being berated for asking stupid questions, a trait Lewis carried over to his own assistant. So he's essentially famous for playing the stupid assistant's even stupider assistant.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hole_(2001_film)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0242527/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Lewis was the assistant to Morse famous for being berated for asking stupid questions, a trait Lewis carried over to his own assistant. So he's essentially famous for playing the stupid assistant's even stupider assistant.
Taking 'a stupid person's idea of a smart person' to previously undiscovered levels sounds about right.

OwlFancier posted:

Ofwat obviously regulates temples.
:golfclap:

Me on the way to the ofwat to steal the ofgem

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Didn’t know he was in a TV show with Alistair Campbell

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Taking 'a stupid person's idea of a smart person' to previously undiscovered levels sounds about right.

:golfclap:

Me on the way to the ofwat to steal the ofgem

I've founded a new start-up that is generating a lot of speculation and investment.

There is a lot of interest in Ofgasm.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of Fox, he's hopelessly instructed some solicitors to write some meaningless words
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1773367471086415875
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1773394855730852129

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 28, 2024

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Extremely rare English W

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I remember watching The Hole when I was a student, but other than it having Thora Birch and Keira Knightley in (who somewhat notoriously had to get parental consent for a topless scene since she was only 15) I couldn't tell you anything else about it. It wasn't very good?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

kingturnip posted:

I remember watching The Hole when I was a student, but other than it having Thora Birch and Keira Knightley in (who somewhat notoriously had to get parental consent for a topless scene since she was only 15) I couldn't tell you anything else about it. It wasn't very good?

Loza gets his loving head smahed in for hording coke iirc

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
He also appears to have been in a tv programme called white lines. One track mind that lad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

I only knew him as a fail actor famous for piping Billie Piper, until he went racist in a Greggs, lost access to the weans, and put on the (Spiderman) mask

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He also appears to have been in a tv programme called white lines. One track mind that lad.

Yeah it's like his whole career has been on rails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

There's like no way that Fox doesn't have a public humiliation fetish, right? I'm sure that Khan is so frightened of someone who got 1.9% (all of which would certainly be coming from people who would never vote for Khan anyways) that they would conspire to make his totally awesome paperwork invalid.